TES V Ideas and Suggestions #188

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:29 am

Welcome to TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 188

This thread is for ideas and suggestions for TES:V and future games, and to keep all the general discussion in one series of threads.

To discuss major issues, use a separate topic, such as the leveling topic.

Other general topics on this will either be closed or moved here.

Please at least try to read the previous few threads to avoid too much repetition: Note, there has been a lot of off topic and unnecessary discussion in past topics, please ensure that any posts you make in this thread are suitable to the subject being discussed. The moderators will be keeping a close eye on the content.

http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1102208-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-170/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1104003-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-171/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1105916-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-172/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1107672-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-173/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1109526-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-174/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1111409-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-175/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1112090-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-176/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1112872-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-177/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1113694-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-178/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1115083-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-179/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1116332-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-180/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1117711-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-181/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1118847-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-182/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1120296-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-183/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1124472-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-184/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1135091-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-185/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1142688-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-186/
http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1145436-tes-v-ideas-and-suggestions-187/
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 pm

player selected functionality:
So on the controller set up you have 2 functions per hand. Could you let us customize those? Keep some standard of course for a default set-up.

Functions: Cast, Attack, Block, Hold
Buttons: L1, L2, R1, R2

Throw = L2(Hold) + R1(Attack) -> Becomes a powerful stab with a weapon
Parry = R1(Attack) + R2(Block)
Gouge that person with a torch = Torch [ L1(Attack) ]
Really defensive position = L2(Block) + R2(Block)
Got fireballs out my behind = Individual cast [ L1(Cast), L2(Cast), R1(Cast), R2(Cast) ] -> Great for casting a bunch of [different] spells in a short time
Disarm / Break Limb = L1(Block) + L2(Hold)
Dual Wielding = Individual Strike [ L1(Attack), R1(Attack), L2(Block), R2(Block) ]
Channel through a weapon (momentarily enchant) = R1(Attack) + R2(Cast)

How about a mage who only casts and blocks? No punching.
Primary for left and right would both be cast. Secondary for left and right would be block. Shields or Iron Cuffs would be optional.
Attacking with a Shield would now be an option.

Also a quote for M'aiq:

I had so many ideas for my new home that I kept them in a journal. But there was so much that the journal multiplied and started arguing with itself.
M'aiq enjoys the simple pleasures now.

D LOpez

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 am

I loved the Skingrad house with the "maid", and its fun to get married in the Fable games. Would it be possable to get married in The Elder Scrolls 5? It would be awesome to come home from advertering to the wife/husband and talk or hang out with.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:01 am

If the combat would be more in deapth with more controls, then it would make it less powerful and fast to use maging and melee at the same time. This would add to the feeling of having to specialize in something and in my opinion is a great idea, if it is made the right way.

And kids should be running around the streets of cities and be a big part of the experience in the world. Villages away from cities with 3 families in them could easily have 2 kids there, just doing stuff kids would do in their enviroment. This would ofcourse have to make the world less 100% dangerous as it is now, there shoudl be areas where there are no creatures near by, making perfect places for the PC to see kids run after each other and play knights in the woods, maybe accually hunting smaller creatures like mud crabs and rats. It would be awesome and make the world truly come alive.

Quests you do for kids could also lead you to great secrets and stuff, for example: a "gang" (group of kids) have found an abandoned house in the citys most far away part. They use it as a hiding place and the abandoned house is their well kept secret. Once the player gets involved you and the kids find out that the basemant of the house has a hidden passage, leading into mysteries. The kids would not have gone there, as they are not gorageus warriors and the quest could have you go to different places to get aid, if you want. Will you go in there yourself, get all loot inside and keep it? Or inform the king/queen of the city about this and explore it with a small squad of soldiers and a sergeant?

While writing that quest example I realized I didn't want my character to be so over powered and simply go anywhere without help. Making some/(many) places requre out-side assistance would make the game more realistic.

Edit: darthvegera, there is a long discussion about this in the "relationship"-topic, go there and share your thoughts and read through the many pages of comments, it is also a poll that you can vote in. Not saying we can't have that relationship involvement here too, just saying it feels like it's already been said.
Kay O'Hara

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 am

all i was saying, is that tes could work with kinect, if beth decides to implement it, fine im not going to rage quit the series, but really i dont care either way, it might brings some gamers that wouldnt normally play the game, but tes does already work really well as is, it could work, or it could fail terribly idk, but really having it there shouldnt make anyone want to quit the series
and i am not being close minded, i will accept both outcomes, because i trust beth and their decision making skill
rebecca moody

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:14 am

From another thread, What do you HATE about Bethesda games...

Lack of choices and consequences. I can't name a single situation where you either have to consider your choice between two or more options, or anything you choose impacting future events in any kind. Usually you do the same quests in different order, and choices you make affect only the outcome of the quest in hand, if even that. At least in Daggerfall you had to choose which one order and temple to join, not that it had a huge difference.

Bioware games succeed in this, as well as The Witcher. They make you stop and THINK. In Gothic 3 the main story splits far before the end, and your choice dictates your end game goal. I think Fables do this consequence thing too, but from what I understand it's overdone. (whole landscapes mutating according to your actions or something silly)

In FO3 blowing up a town wasn't really what I consider a choice. It made no sense to do, unless your understaning of good/evil was on a child's level and you were 'roleplaying' an evil person. (in real life there are no evil or good, just opposing viewpoints, and people usually tell themselves that they are doing the right thing)
Sure, I blew it up only to see the mushroom cloud, but loaded afterwards. It served no goals ingame iirc. The consequences should come later on, and be hard to predict presicely, like in real life. You choose between things, and might only later on learn of the facts behind the situation, which would have affected your choice IF you had known them the time you DID choose. Then you just live with it, instead of hitting the relaod button. You can read more on that from the Daggerfall manual preword, and I urge Bethesda developers to check it out again.

Hope you understand what I'm saying. Computer Roleplaying and the storylines must go deep. Brainless and CRPG don't mix.
Joie Perez

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 am

From another thread, What do you HATE about Bethesda games...

Lack of choices and consequences. I can't name a single situation where you either have to consider your choice between two or more options, or anything you choose impacting future events in any kind. Usually you do the same quests in different order, and choices you make affect only the outcome of the quest in hand, if even that. At least in Daggerfall you had to choose which one order and temple to join, not that it had a huge difference.

Bioware games succeed in this, as well as The Witcher. They make you stop and THINK. In Gothic 3 the main story splits far before the end, and your choice dictates your end game goal. I think Fables do this consequence thing too, but from what I understand it's overdone. (whole landscapes mutating according to your actions or something silly)

In FO3 blowing up a town wasn't really what I consider a choice. It made no sense to do, unless your understaning of good/evil was on a child's level and you were 'roleplaying' an evil person. (in real life there are no evil or good, just opposing viewpoints, and people usually tell themselves that they are doing the right thing)
Sure, I blew it up only to see the mushroom cloud, but loaded afterwards. It served no goals ingame iirc. The consequences should come later on, and be hard to predict presicely, like in real life. You choose between things, and might only later on learn of the facts behind the situation, which would have affected your choice IF you had known them the time you DID choose. Then you just live with it, instead of hitting the relaod button. You can read more on that from the Daggerfall manual preword, and I urge Bethesda developers to check it out again.

Hope you understand what I'm saying. Computer Roleplaying and the storylines must go deep. Brainless and CRPG don't mix.

QFT.

First, I didnt like Bioware untill I played Dragon Age. Bethesda should really take a look on how they make the stories, conversations, and quest in their games.

But I agree. There is really no consequences or advantages to completing a quest in TES. You only do the quests to earn money and fame and gain levels, but the quests get old quickly as they first of all is boring and that you actually dont get any beneft of completing them. Really, with TES:V having multiple choices and advantages and consequences, the game could gain alot more replayability than TES had before.
Naughty not Nice

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:03 am

snip

Obsidian greatly improves upon the choices in Fallout New Vegas. Every quest has at least two ways of doing things and both ways are greatly fun and very different from each other.

Im sure the guys at Bethesda Game Studios all played FNV so Im guessing they saw the improvement in that field. Honestly though, as much as having lots of choices is appealing to me, Oblivion was just fine without them. I would be a little disappointed if they did not have "Two Sides of the Coin" for every quest.
Love iz not

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:54 pm

I maintain that animation needs the biggest overhaul out of anything from Oblivion. I also think that first person animation is the most important and immersing animation, and most efforts should be concentrated there. Don't give us one animation per function - give us five randomised animations for any targeted spell set so that they don't replay until the others have been! In fact I would go so far as to say that third person mode (aside from vanity mode and the character's model in the inventory) should be scrapped completely in favour of first person animation. The less animation that has to be done on the player character the better.

This is coming from the point of someone who plays exclusively in first person though. And any animations made for other characters could easily be carried over to the player model I guess so...

Just improve animation! And give us more animation variety! I really think Far Cry 2 benefited from its first person animation.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am

If you are thinking of animations then the best thing to look at would be assassin's creed. The fluid animations in that are amazing. Im not saying that we should be able to climb buildings in TES V but the fluidity from running to walking to falling to jumping is cutting edge.
evelina c

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:50 am

Assassincs creed style combat would be great, imo. (oh and been able to jump from roof to roof in massive cities :P)
anna ley

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:54 pm

One of my favourite things in Beth games is being able to switch between 1st/3rd person. I would be dissapointed if it were to be removed.

Basically imo the game needs a little polish in most area's, and large upgrades in some others. What i think:

Big animations upgrade

Unique area's, while keeping the sense that your still in the same province, the geology must be just right.

Better written story (MQ), not that i think Oblivions was terrible, but one that's intruiging and requires the player to think about motives and morale.

More lore.

Make the game so amazing that i feel like i never wanna return to a previous game in the series :)
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:39 am

I also think there should be a somewhat epic beginning. Not one that makes it so you must go and do the MQ but one that feels exciting. Not like Morrowind's.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:56 am

I also think there should be a somewhat epic beginning. Not one that makes it so you must go and do the MQ but one that feels exciting. Not like Morrowind's.

Its been a while, but I think I liked the opening. Wasn't I just dropped off the ship and kicked into the world? The lack of pagentry, the lack of fanfare, the lack of instruction all made me go wtf! And in a good challenging way.

That's something to think about for ES VI
Rachel Tyson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:51 am

Its been a while, but I think I liked the opening. Wasn't I just dropped off the ship and kicked into the world? The lack of pagentry, the lack of fanfare, the lack of instruction all made me go wtf! And in a good challenging way.

I want my excitement not to go to waste at the beginning. When my expectations are the highest I want them to be fed properly, not with a series of questions asked by a bald Breton. Nothing against him of course.
Noely Ulloa

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I think a swift kick in the butt is a great way to introduce a game that is much more than a linear hack-n-slasher.

It can still be an epic boot to the hinny, but a solid reminder none the less.

Something that says "I have all your hopes and dreams but you are going to do things my way!"
Which would make me work to do things my way.

The fun kind of work, not COD waw on veteran kind of work.
XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 am

The Arena in Oblivion that lies within the walls of the mighty Imperial City is a cool feature and a nice touch gameplay wise. I love the whole arena idea, and I think that the concept could be improved to make it even grander in Tes V.

I consider the arena to be a diamond in the ruff, but think what they could do! Increase the size, challenge, reward and so on is a step in the right direction. But so much more could be added, so now my question is..

Do You have any solutions/ideas to this aspect? Any input is welcome, but no blows below the belt. :)
priscillaaa

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:39 am

I want my excitement not to go to waste at the beginning. When my expectations are the highest I want them to be fed properly, not with a series of questions asked by a bald Breton. Nothing against him of course.

I have to agree with Rumblyguts. The super-choreographed intro that throws you right into the action only works so many times. I think Morrowind had a nice, low key start, (and quick too, I hated going through the OB tutorial every time I wanted to make a new character) The excitement came when you realized "Oh hey...I'm on my own in this great big sandbox."
Raymond J. Ramirez

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:19 am

Obsidian greatly improves upon the choices in Fallout New Vegas. Every quest has at least two ways of doing things and both ways are greatly fun and very different from each other.

Well that's one thing. But what I want from now on with my CRPGs is them stopping me at my tracks, and really making me use my brains like the next choice I make would be life and death. The best scenario is when all of your choices are wrong, and you just gotta make the smallest sacrifice or go with the lesser evil.
I don't play Mature rated games just to have fun. I wan't to experience something.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but you need to blame Bioware, CD Project and Piranha Bytes for that.
JeSsy ArEllano

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:02 am

I completely agree.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 am

I think "Heavy" and "Light" armor should not be in terms of materials, but pure weight. A dude in a steel helmet and leather shirt would be in "light" armor because the combined weight of each piece is a fraction of his overall encumbrance.

Whereas someone wearings multiple pieces of leather (with a total weight at a higher fraction of his endurance) would be in "heavy" armor. Maybe...let me get back to you on that one. Either way, I want less limits on the types of armor my character can wear, for instance, being able to combine leather and steel without taking a hit to my overall protection.

Anyways, in terms of style I preferred Morrowind's armor almost unanimously, although some were close (orcish and dwarven) But Imperial armor, daedric, and others I thought were just somehow more appealing.

I also appreciated the focus on local armors. I do think there should be variation, such as multiple versions of the same steel helmet, with the same stats.

From Keltic Viking

I want to run with it and say different armor training, maybe or maybe not skill, determines armor encumbrance.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:11 am

If you are thinking of animations then the best thing to look at would be assassin's creed. The fluid animations in that are amazing. Im not saying that we should be able to climb buildings in TES V but the fluidity from running to walking to falling to jumping is cutting edge.

I however will say that. We should be able to climb buildings in TES V. :D
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:57 pm

I however will say that. We should be able to climb buildings in TES V. :D

Indeed, we should by the help of acrobatic be able to climb through windows of houses. Climbing mountains to reach hidden areas would also be great.
Ross Zombie

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:59 am

One thing I always thought would be a good idea would be multiple attacks: If you're a master with blunt, you should be able to whack three enemies at once if they're standing close to each other. Take a big baseball swing with that two handed hammer. Maybe a master archer could fire an arrow through two or three lower enemies at the same time. Oblivion's combat was one of the few things that improved after Morrowind. Would it be a bad idea to be able plow through a bunch of goblins, sending bodies flying?
Lil Miss

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:48 am

Here's a couple of random things to consider:

1. Lift the lockpicking from Mafia 2 and force it to mate with the trap system from Return to Krondor. Yes, I just recommended using two less-than-exceptional games in ONE suggestion!

The Mafia 2 system is quite a bit like Oblivion, in that you are actually manipulating the pins (unlike Fallout 3 or Morrowind), but it's real-time, and much less of a bounce the pin exercise: the pins push back constantly. There is no rigid Fallout 3 tiering.

The chief downside is that it would almost certainly "kick" you into 3rd person. I'm not sure how much of a non-starter that would be for people.

Return to Krondor included a probe (which helps you see the trap, and could be used to explain how you can "See" the lock pins), and three tools needed to disarm multi-stage traps. TES needs to "go bigger", of course, but if it were between relatively simple RtK traps, Oblivion's no traps, or Morrowindian "stab the door with an allen wrench to disarm the trap... I've done them all. The first of these is by far the most memorable of the three as a gaming experience. (Oblivion's environmental traps are another matter)

2. Use the DT (Damage Threshold) system from New Vegas for armor. Easily the best feature of the game, and it would really jumble up the TES armor system if done right. I think we can all agree that would be nice. Imagine: glass armor has a low durability, an insane DT, and low DR (damage resistance) (essentially, it's hard to do damage through the glass, but once you do, it ALL hits). Elven armor, on the other hand, has a low DT, but provides a much larger DR value than glass, and is presumably more durable. Which do you use?
Tom

Next

Return to V - Skyrim