The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks. You can tell I'm a console gamer. It might be time to look at Steam again.

James Wilson

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:14 pm

They might be looking at waiting until the next full generation of hardware is out, or maybe they just want to get Fallout 5 and their new IP (probably Starfield) out of the way first. All three projects are specifically said (or at least implied) to be Todd Howard's, so assuming they continue the trend of four years between games, that paints 2027 as the earliest possible expected release year. That would most likely make TES VI an "Xbox Two" and "PS5" title rather than an Xbox One or PS4 one.

Now, if some games like Starfield and Fallout 5 come out sooner by a year or two (and that's assuming these are the other two games), then it makes it possible for TES VI to come out in 2025 instead, which is still likely to be well past the current generation of consoles. So it almost certainly will not be coming out for either Project Scorpio or PS4 Neo in that scenario.

Also, it should be noted that ALL games coming to Project Scorpio and PS4 Neo are said to be coming out for Xbox One and PS4 respectively, so they are not holding back development of TES VI because they're waiting on specs for Project Scorpio and PS4 Neo.

Personally, I think it is what it is. I don't think Todd Howard would have brought up TES VI at all unless it isn't coming out for another ten years or so, and I don't think it's necessarily a big problem, either.

Katie Pollard

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:59 pm

I still don't think we should really worry it'll come out later than 2020. Four years is a long time, and who knows where their progress on the current projects is going. Or what those projects are. Or how much manpower they require. Or how Bethesda's project timetable works. Or...

Well, Bethesda knows. And a lot is going to happen in the next four years - upgraded versions of every console are coming out, VR tech is coming along smoothly, and Bethesda's got a new buddy studio that's still growing.

Sarah Edmunds

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:35 am

That would actually be pretty cool. I am a svcker for companion apps that work, and when Fallout 4 was announced, fallout shelter received alot of praise, even if it was short lived ( at least for me). Todd isn't an idiot, and bethesda knows how to run its business. I think a mobile game that isn't ES legends could be very plausible.

Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

будет круто если они все улудшат сразу)))бои ,квесты ,строительство домов - замков)можно будет нанимать нормальную охрану а не это 2 инвалида как выходит

Brandon Wilson

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Well I'm not convinced that TES VI is merely just a design document and a few pieces of concept art, either. We also don't know if Todd Howard was being literal about the "do we have the technology for it" question, either. The latter could be a mere reference to the scale of TES VI and all the stuff they want to include and the "do you have the technology for it" may be referencing what the general public and the press would potentially ask if they described the game without showing it.

The "not coming out before 2027" idea only applies if we are applying what BGS has done in the past to what they are doing now, and/or if the "technology" remark is taken literally as "we don't have the hardware for this game" which is just one way of interpreting it. That's what makes 2027 the expected release year. What BGS Montreal is doing is an unknown factor as well. Therefore, it's possible one of the three projects is BGS Montreal's first game.

So, all we really know about TES VI's release date is that it's probably coming out no sooner than 2022 and probably not any later than 2027.

Strawberry

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:54 pm

The bookmakers in UK should totally take bets for which year TES 6 is released :rock: my bet is 2018 :tops:

Quick Draw III

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:16 am

True enough, just as I'm not obligated to buy another series that doesn't interest me. I'm hoping they have something great in mind but I'm pretty picky with my games.

No Name

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 pm

It seems the other 2 large projects will be full-sized AAA games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/bethesda-says-two-upcoming-games-are-as-big-as-skyrim-and-fallout

My best guess is, that when Todd talks about lacking technology, he's largely talking about software. I suspect the 2 large projects coming out before TES6 will serve to get the team used to another engine (possibly id's), and in the meantime a smaller team will develop that engine further to accomodate TES6' needs, as well as the necessary development kit (which is no small task).

The other 2 projects will also give opportunities to work on and test specific gameplay elements that they want to improve for or implement in TES6. BGS has consistently shown that they like to apply things they learned in earlier games to new titles.

As Todd said, it will make sense many years from now.

TWITTER.COM

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:29 pm

All Heil 2018!

Grace Francis

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:57 am

The company is in a weird position, which isn't bad but people are obviously asking about TES since it is the flagship series but the team simply isn't working on it.

Whatever they have in mind for it seems very ambitious; if the technology we're working with simply isn't up to par for what they have in mind, they haven't got any options but to wait unless they decide to bite the bullet and make do, but no artist wants to just "make do" when the potential for more is there.

Whatever these new titles are, get excited for those. Unless Todd's team come out of left field and starts working on a genre we've never seen them in before, it's probably safe to assume they will be enormous RPGs, but even if they aren't I wouldn't mind seeing the Bethesda take on a platformer or third person open word rpg with a heavy narrative like shadow of mordor and the witcher.

Instead of seeing TES in the next few years, I'll bet next e3 we'll see some information on one of their new titles. The scorpio would be out that holiday season, and Beth loves releasing things in October or November.

They've got a pretty awesome relationship with Microsoft, so expect something to come out that pushes the Scorpio to the limit in either 2018 or 2017.

If Bethesda doesn't have their own conference in either of those years, Todd is totally walking out on Microsoft's stage and dropping a new title and the mic.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:38 pm

You don't know that. I don't know that. None of us knows that. Here is a fact: none of us knows for certain what Bethesda is working on and what they are not working on. Unless you are an employee of Bethesda you are talking out of your hindmost parts. Anybody who thinks they know what Bethesda is doing or what they are about to do is either lying to themselves or lying to others.

The internet: a place where everybody knows what they are talking about, even when they don't.

Stephani Silva

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:27 pm

So doesnt he imply with the video press conference they are workung on it. Why say this if its seven years away

He is then asked about it in 3 interviews later and is evasive when the subject comes up. He calls it the elephant in the room.

What were his answers to f4 2 years ago
Samantha hulme

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 pm

You know, if Mr. Hines reads this thread he might delay 2018 just to spite you :P

Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Man bethesda barely have to do anything before people start foaming at the mouth with the hype train!

And people are hoping for a fallout 5 now?! Not even have they finished all the dlc's! At most they just started plans and storyboarding while the majority of the team work on something else.
Bitter End

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:45 pm

The talk about Fallout 5 is because of a quote from one of the FO4 voice actors about Fallout 5 already being in pre-production

SUck MYdIck

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Nearly the end of the thread so I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but anyway: the suspicion that one of their titles will be 'Starfield' seems to hold a lot of weight now that E3 has passed. And I say that as formerly the theory's biggest detractor.

Why? Because they renewed and expanded the trademark recently, while at the same time A) it wasn't announced, B) almost every other studio has now identified their primary project (especially if we count the Wolfenstein hint during the presentation's intro) and C) we now know BGS has an unusual amount of projects in the pipeline, as opposed to their old, more linear development routine.

And Todd mentioned repeatedly that this wasn't some recent decision; that is was something they'd be planning for for a long time, which would explain why the trademark has been floating around for a while but consistently gets renewed.

Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:40 pm

I told you guys the other two projects were not Virtual Reality (VR), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, and Fallout Shelter.

Brittany Abner

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:25 pm

I hold out hope that all their "long way off" talk is just smokescreens. :teehee: :tes:

Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:38 pm

So, if one of those two "big projects" turns out to be Starfield, and the other is something being worked on up in Montreal (VR?), we could still very possibly see TES VI in 2019 or 2020. At this point, I believe we can safely rule out a 2017 release for TES VI. Starfield COULD come out in a year (second half of 2017), and any patches, DLC content, or expansions could run into 2018. That probably pushes TES back into 2019 or later, most likely later if the second project (possibly from the Montreal studio) releases in 2018 or 2019.

Personally, my guess (and nothing more than an edjumacated guess) would be TES VI in 2020-21 (an absurd 10 years between releases, and the last game all but forgotten, which is NOT a good way to make money). That's assuming that Todd Howard is being his usual less-than-informative self, rather than blatantly lying, in which case it could come out next year, or on 2/22/2222 as a marketing ploy to commemorate the 11/11/11 release of Skyrim.

If it's any later than 2021, then I'll likely be retired and will have all the time in the world to play it, assuming that it's even worth playing. Considering how much I was impressed by Skyrim (never played it, but saw someone else play for a couple of minutes, and wasn't interested in seeing more), I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the next installment of the series.

Kayla Oatney

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:36 pm

It's not smokescreen.

The two other projects are two AAA video games that Bethesda Game Studios is already developing or will be developing.

Bethesda Game Studios takes 3 years to 5 years to develop their video games.

Their not Activision with Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer Games to develop Call of Duty video games every year to sell the next year with their three year cycles.

If you love The Elder Scrolls video games so much you should let them take their time to develop them for those 5 or so years to turn out to be good video games to play.

Also hiring more people is not a good thing having 1,000 people isn't always a good thing compared to when you have 200 people employed and have better management and communications.

Scared humanity

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:25 am

Hence, why I hold out HOPE.

Sami Blackburn

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:16 am

After some thought, I'm thinking that if the two new games coming out are similar in style to Bethesda's TES and Fallout, if they give us huge new worlds to explore, then I may not mind the wait for TES6.
Ryan Lutz

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't think the Montreal team of 40 is going to be making full on big games. Bethesda announced fallout 4 in virtual reality for 2017, I'm gonna assume that the montreal team is focusing on that, as well as probably the skyrim remaster while Bethesda main studio of approximately 200 will be doing the full on big games.
Veronica Flores

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:39 pm

If all of this ends up being true...and we dont have TESVI until 2020 for example...then...TES franchise is gonna die. Nobody is gonna get the TES train again. Will get soem new fans but the vast amount of people eager to buy TESVI nowadays...will not do it in 2020 or more. With any TES in between...sorry but no. Will not work.

And surely it wont be as enormous and vastly improved as Todd's says...We have lived this before. The waiting will be just because they are gonna try other things...it is the perfect excuse to say.."oh well theres not enough tech yet..."

Who is believing that? Really naive then...

And Todd seems quite nervous while answering direct questions about TESVI and then Hines saying it was better to not have Todd on stage cause everybody would ask for TESVI...Why this secrecy?? Why is that menacing the word TESVI?

I think its all because of Zenimax forcing them to stop making TES games cause it would compete with ESO...Eso is selling well regarding rainbowfarting horses and other crown store aberrations...Milking people and catering new players...They are making a good business with ESO and twisting TES franchise.

Just another company being eaten by itself.

So sad.
le GraiN

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion