The Elder Scrolls VI is a long ways off - Interview

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 am

I hope nursing homes become gaming paradises, personally.

Taylrea Teodor

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:14 pm

You do realize the heavily modified creation engine which fallout 4 runs on also runs on skyrim remastered yes? Not to mention whatever the next two games are. All i'm saying is do not take their word for it, they lied to us before about Skyrim back in 2011 being ran on a brand new engine and it turned out to be a modified engine with gamebryo. They're not going to get rid of gamebryo when it's the reason for the insane easily compatibility of mod support. Don't listen to todd here :)

Skyrim Remaster isn't a big project it would take less than 7 months to get that running how they want and well look at the results. November 10, 2015 when Fallout 4 released and now June 10th, 2016 the remaster of skyrim was announced. Trust me that's 8 months in between.

This is precisely why they're remastering skyrim so we have our fill of elder scrolls with mod support before TES VI releases. I mean this is a good thing, it means at the end of PS4 and Xbox One Life when they'll have a even more knowledge on how to max out these consoles we'll get the best experience than we've ever had.....theoretically. I have my doubts since it's bethesda and they've hyped this stuff up before and failed to deliver.

MatthewJontully

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 pm

We do not know if they started working on TES VI after wrapping up Skyrim in 2013 with the Legendary Edition. Fallout 4 was the primary project and most of the staff were working on that and the staff is moving away from that project to whatever project is now becoming the primary project. It could be new IP since Bethesda did file a trade mark for Starfield a few years ago I think it was around 2013 so that sounds like the next project. Todd Howard did state that he wanted to work on a New IP.

There is the new Montreal Studio and it is still quite small but perhaps they might take on one of the projects with Todd still in charge and just has conference calls with the team in Montreal and a visit when needed. Montreal is not that far from Maryland just a few hours by air.

We have no idea when the next project will be released most likely the earliest date is 2017. Lets give the two studios the time they need to make the game and they will give us the information when they are ready to. We have the current games from Bethesda and some new ones from iD , Prey, Dishonored 2, and Skyrim Remastered. Also we have all the games from the other companies as well. So lets focus on those games and enjoy them and in no time we have the next game from Bethesda.

April

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 am

@Lady Selene and Turija: You're right, it could mean anything. I'm inclined to think it means more along the lines of "you'll see why in some years' time when we release TES VI", but who knows. I'd love to be wrong though.

danni Marchant

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:09 am

I've been saying that for a long time, ever since Oblivion in fact. Games have taken too long and story plots have not been to my liking. But, who listens to me anyways? Bethesda sure don't. Guess I really don't expect them to either. Being in the over 65 age group I know I don't fit their preferred target audience demographics.

I will give one opinion and that is a 7 or 8 to 10 year wait from now is too long. A wait that long could kill the franchise. Todd knows it. Pete knows it. So I thinking their wording is just PR smoke screen and Todd is very good at the PR spin stuff. At least I hope so. The battery in the little beat machine in my chest is running low and I my not be here in another ten years.

JESSE

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Consider, though:

There's been multiple statements now to the effect that Bethesda is in no rush to do ES6.

Now, not only are they saying that it will be quite a while longer, but also that two other projects have priority.

Top it off with the fact that they actually spent resources updating a 5 year old game so they could perhaps garner an extra 500k-1M in sales tells me that they simply aren't pursuing ES6 with any real vigor.

And that means that it could easily get pushed out some more - by FO5 or by yet another title.

It just sounds like they really mean what they say - that ES6 is not a priority for them.

Frankly, I think ES single player is done. They wouldn't be saying these things if they were truly committed. The leadership might even be tired of the franchise and are just doing some final things to 'cash in' on it before moving on to different titles, stories and themes. Why else would they do ESO, Legends and a Skyrim reboot, as well as providing at least some support to the Morrowind and Oblivion 3rd party reboots?

THink about it. They might have come to the conclusion that there is no way they can achieve the same explosive success again that they got from Skyrim. In other words, they may consider it to be their last hurrah.

Yeah. It's done.

Anna Watts

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Just saw an ad on Facebook that led to this. Apparently Bethesda announced fallout 4 virtual reality to come out in 2017. http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/12/11917524/bethesda-e3-2016-fallout-4-htc-vive-virtual-reality

So I'm going to speculate that either this is one of the big projects (it'd be a big undertaking to convert the game to vr), or of it's not, this is what the second studio in.Montreal will be spending most of their time on (cus I don't see the 40 person Montreal studio making any of their main big games), or both, as in this could be one of the big projects and the Montreal studio is the one handling it.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:37 pm

As long as they continue making games that can be played on a bug screen HDTV with a good surround system from the comfort of your couch I will be happy. I have zero interest in VR headsets but I'm fine with it being an option for those who want to wear a headset when they play.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm

The absolute pessimism that's comming out over this... Well, it's self defeating.

Todd Howard basically said, in no simple terms, that they know what they want to do. But they are TECHNICALLY UNABLE to accomplish it right now. What that means is open to some interpretation, but that's what's going on.

They have a vision. And they don't want to compromise tuat vision just to shove a product out the door. So, until technology catches up to that vision, they're doing other things.

This isn't a death knell. It's an unwillingness to compromise their design for the sake of expediency.
Harry Leon

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 am

Exactly. People have been complaining since Oblivion (well, probably Morrowind, actually, if not even Arena itself), that Bethesda pushes TES ahead with new technology before it's viable, leading to buggy incomplete features that are a shadow of their intended potential. Radiant AI, Radiant Story, etc. With TES VI, they're pretty much acknowledging this and are taking the time for the technology they want for the game to develop and mature, so they don't have to do the last minute cut-backs that lead to lost potential and inevitable disappointment.

Personally, I hope this means they're really going to go ham on wide-scale emergent story telling and gameplay. But that's just me projecting my own desires for the series.

Nikki Hype

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:49 pm

I think that you may be right. There's no way a huge hit like Skyrim wouldn't receive a sequel in 7 -8 years unless they secretly think Valve's Half-Life strategy is cool and a good business model, or unless they think they can't possibly top Skyrim without a huge technological/creative leap that isn't possible now.

On the other hand they wouldn't be the first RPG developer who simply stopped a popular series because they think they can't deliver what the fans would expect (see Piranha Bytes and Gothic). Skyrim just set the bar too high already, and Witcher 3's overwhelming acclaim doesn't make things easier either. Every game reviewer will now use Witcher's achievements as comparison and Fallout 4 already suffered from this.

However I find equally plausible the theory others already mentioned that this could be the usual PR smoke to push Eso, Fallout and whatever shelter'esque and hearthstone'esque tiny projects they may have in development, while TES VI will still be showed and launched in 2018. After all, 2 years do count as "many years to come" when you're truly impatient ;)
SexyPimpAss

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:37 am

Nope your not the only one, this is what I'm also hoping for. That Bethesda Game Studios uses the latest newest technology and graphics to develop The Elder Scrolls VI and not cut back on any features any more.

Once again releasing The Elder Scrolls VI for sale in 2023 is the perfect time to do it.

Especially with more advanced graphics coming out now and hardware than ever in the last 10+ years. I want Bethesda Game Studios to adopt it quickly and while it matures.

Cheryl Rice

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:16 am

That isn't the problem. They're the same studio that works on Fallout and they spent the last 3yrs making FO4, so how can it be a problem that they aren't making TES IV? If you haven't realized, if the same devs continuously make the same games in the same series it all goes to crap (just see COD and any other series, assassin's creed?). Fallout 4 already feels too similar to FO3, too conservative in its design. Everything in FO4 is similar to FO3 except for even worse things like quest designs and voiced player and even worse dialogue options. Do you want them to nonstop work on TES and kill it?

Emmi Coolahan

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:14 pm

I would honestly prefer different teams for Fallout and TES, with different directors and completely independent development cycles. I hoped that's why they opened the second BGS studio, but it seems it's not the case.
Spaceman

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:37 am

i am with you, i also find it unacceptable, glad i am not the only one.

What kind of tech do you think they are waiting for? consoles to catch up with current pc's? the gap grows so much farther every year its laughable at this point. The only hope i have is that they will find the tech they need in the console revisions coming next year and we will have a announcement within the next 12-18 months with a game by the end of 2018-19. Wait any longer with the excuse of "Tech" and you will most likely be into the next console generation and who the heck has a clue when that will be. If by some problem the game is delayed to 2020-21 they will probably have a lot of upset fans, myself included. A rather large downside i can foresee is going to be that the longer they wait to release another elder scrolls the greater and greater the buildup, expectations and hype will be, greater the hype the greater the chance that expectations wont be met and people will be disappointed wondering what took so long. I just hope we hear news sooner rather then next decade.

Adrian Morales

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:04 am

The most likely scenario is that they'll wait for the next console gen, or whatever it's going to be for the console's to jump in power. Either that, or the things they're looking at aren't much a matter of power, but just to actually develop it. Improvements aren't always just a matter of throwing more processing power at it, but figuring out how to do it efficiently.

Prepare to be disappointed. 2018-19 is when I'd expect the first of their major projects, while TES VI was explicitly stated to be the third major project they have lined up. I will be very disappointed if it comes out before 2020, as it would indicate they're rushing the tech and we'll, yet again, get a major feature for the game that's half-complete.

Matt Fletcher

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Better Procedural Generation? Better voice synthesis? Better ability to handle large, persistent and dynamic environments (most dynamic environments today either reset when you leave the immediate area, or are small and designed for limited playtime).

Those are just the 3 i can think of off the top of my head, without having any clue what their vision is.

Procedural Generation may, MAY hit a new benchmark when No Man's Sky hits, depending on how well the execution ends up being.

Persistent and Dynamic environments are progressing, but the ability to handle something the size of a current Bethesda game has yet to be done, let alone accounting for increases in size and interactivity. Trying to make Falinesti move in real-time? Good luck with that on current tech.

Voice and Dialogue Synthesis is a literal holy grail for Bethesda, and would in principle allow them to push their world populations back to Daggerfall levels, but it's nowhere near a point where believable delivery is consumer ready.

Not to mention the ever-present march of AI that increases pathing recognition, reactive behaviour, and interactive diversity and responsiveness. Particularly if you're going to up the size of a game, without compromising Bethesda's interactivity, major progress needs to be made across the board with their AI, progress which may not be possible yet.

Emma Copeland

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 pm

if the console hardware revisions don't provide what they need, i expect it to be way after 2020, more like 2025 when/if a new batch of consoles get released. Consoles and what they can/can not do is really the only limiting factor i see with a tech argument. I expect to hear something sooner rather then later and I would be rather disappointed if it took until 2025+ but in there end it is there business and its up to them to do what they feel is best for the bottom line.

Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:34 am

Not really. While it may be a factor, it's not necessarily the only one. As I said, sometimes figuring out how to do something and do it well is more important than just throwing more power at it. In every console generation, developers end up figuring out how to do things by the end of the cycle that they couldn't do at the beginning of it, with the same hardware. And considering the style of open world games that Bethesda produces, it's not a stretch to imagine that the things they want to do just haven't been given enough consideration to make work on consumer hardware.

Kelly James

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Just a honest question though i have for you guys, when do you draw the line at new engine tech and enhancements? there is always going to be something new/cutting edge on the near horizon that you could wait to implement or skip at the cost of feature x. To me you can never have the perfect game because there will always be something on the horizon you couldn't do or utilize to the fullest extent.

Natasha Callaghan

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:30 am

I personally don't draw a line. It's not my line to draw, and my interests aren't so focused that i feel i have nothing to do without updates from particular franchises. When the feel that they have the means to realise their vision, that's good enough for me.

sally R

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:57 pm

Here's what I hope, for what it's worth:

The money is pouring in, and the company has several popular and successful IPs. So somebody with vision and the power to make decisions turns a whole talented crew of experienced game-creators loose, no-strings-attached, go-for-it. They have the talent, and they now have the money.

If they do that, I don't care how long it takes. :)

...Not holding my breath, though.

Genevieve

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:00 pm

I'm really not understanding a lot of the childish anger on display in this thread. Is this really how so many of you see the relationship between 'fan' and creator? Do you really think Bethesda owe you anything at all?

I am personally pretty disappointed to hear that it might be a couple more years before a new TES game - they're my favorite games of all time. However, I understand that there are larger forces at work than my own selfish desires, or even an individual company or person. I'm actually glad to hear that they have big plans and are waiting for the tech to develop - and I don't believe that's lip service either. If anyone has been paying attention to what's going on with Sony and Microsoft - the landscape of consoles, PC's and tech is making some pretty serious shifts and it may well be a couple years before that situation settles down. Now, I don't necessarily believe that they'll spend that time/use that new tech working on many of the things I'd like to see them work on - but I don't think its a lie to say they have big plans and those plans involve developing tech.

In addition, does the prospect of a new IP from BGS not intrigue anyone at all? I mean, there's a reason we're all clamoring for the next TES right? Some of that must have to do with the quality and type of games that BGS makes, methinks - and while I prefer both the fantasy setting and the lore of TES, I'm definitely interested to see their take on just about any genre.

There's no reason to be mad here. It just is what it is, and like it or not there's nothing you can do to change it - complaining on these forums will get you precisely nowhere, and getting mad at video game release dates will get you closer to a coronary when you're 50. Chill guys.

Flutterby

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 am

It sounds to me like the general idea of what Elder Scrolls 6 will be has already been established, but the coding won't begin until the specs of Microsoft's Scorpio and Sony's next upgrade have been nailed down. Bethesda employees focused on other projects have undoubtedly given the next Elder Scrolls game plenty of idle thought. They have probably tossed around feature ideas, bits of story, and concept art. But they're still in the concepts phase.

Since I never played any game as much as Oblivion or Skyrim (which I can't wait to jump in again with console mods), I'm bummed that we won't see ES-6 for at least 3 or 4 more years. But they don't owe fans anything they haven't promised.

Perhaps if Bethesda offers Elder Scrolls fans a Skyrim toolset akin to Doom's SnapMap — something that will enable non-coders to rearrange current assets to produce new Skyrim experiences — that will ease the pressure a while.

~Amy~

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:17 pm

They have done this already: it's called the Creation Kit. ;)

{Richies Mommy}

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion