The fallout 4 controversy

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Well, the community might have talked it all out and stuff, but well, i was playing fallout 4 (Xbox One), so i just noticed it today...

Many reviews in Steam are negative, because it is "not a real fallout", well i have to say, the game is indeed different to FO3 and FNV, but in a mostly good way.

The removal of the old skill system, upset me a bit, i was over it after a few hours of gameplay. Also many people dont like the removals of Karma and the faction system. I kinda miss them too, but its not a neccessary feature. And the final most read comlaint was that you have no real impact on the world, i didn't see a real impact on the world in FO3 and FNV either...

Another point bothering me is the fact that my buddies in Teamspeak are very much complaining about everything, because thats how they are, but thats not my problem..what really bothered me is that whenver they complained, i could answer:" Hey theres a mod for that on the Nexus already!"

This question was probably asked a hundred times and maybe more, but i have to ask and i hope for an answer:

Do you guys put less work-hours in "little things" intentionally because "the modders will do it anyway"?

So my major points of critism either positive and negative are:

+ Gunplay is very nice, i like it

+ Although many people complain, i like how the game looks, atmosphere goes over texture quality, and damn that game has some atmosphere

+ The Upgrade System - still i would apprechiate if you could upgrade Armors from base to sturdy - to heavy with enough adhesive and the Armorer Perk at a certain level (maybe level 2 for sturdy and level 4 for heavy?)

+ the world is big and i very much endorse its multitude of different designed zones

+ The editor, ive spent hours building just Sanctuary and the game offers so much more

+- Power Armors: + They offer a new gameplay style - only certain paints on certain armors (i want a pitch black X-01)

- Survival mode like it was on FNV would be awesome, suvival mode is very, very much impossible to play from the beginning, because you can't properly kill the first deathclaw you meet. (i tried to keep it spoiler free)

- the new 4 option "mass effect like" dialogue menu is good to play with a controller but is offers too small opportunity to influence how people think of you, actually, mostly you can care about the opinion of a settler as much as you care about irradiated rice in china, but the opinions of Piper are so important. (I understand its much work to write and record it, still more diversity would have been nice and using the old box like UI wouldn't have hurt anyone. Especially I kinda miss being the bad guy, especially what the character had to live through in the prologue could have made some people become a psycho, that option would be cool, the character is too chilled for what happened to him/her (Maybe he/she is already a sociopath?)

Thats it from my side.

I'd love to read comments

Ricky Meehan

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 am

welcome to the pass 2 weeks on the forums =P this topic about "is fallout or no" have been exploit over and over.

I agree with your post,u are the first in 2 week that have similar opinions like me. (well only part im dont agree is the survival mode part)

I guess what ppl said about the "impact" on the world on FoNV mostly is from the 2m slide ending. That all.

Charlotte Buckley

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:02 am

I love the game aside from the new dialogue system and the various problems that come with my character being voiced. Im just not a fan of it.

But damn is Fallout 4 exactly what I was hoping for when I gloss over that voiced protagonist thing. The combat truly is on the level of a game all about shooting, and exploration is on the same level as Fallout 3 which I personally think was the best for that, and everything else just slots together into a fantastic experience. Its great.

Im hoping some of the performance issues get fixed and that as the patches come out my current stuck radiant quest gets fixed or solved without me having to crack open my console. The game is actually extremely stable compared to previous releases, and ive not had any non game breaking but immersion breaking bugs like I often found in New Vegas. "Primm wimped out and accepted NCR rule" except my character installed a frontier sherrif who appeals to his sense of rough heroism rather than the absolute rule of law. "The Khans allied with the NCR" except that my character hasn't even spoken to Papa Khan about that, and just goes into Red Rock to trade with their giant supply of weapons.

But then Ive never really had all that many comments on my characters actions from NPCs in Fallout 4, so maybe that's how they got around everything being mucked up in the innards of that system. Meh.

Roddy

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:36 am

I think most of the "this is not a Fallout game" is coming from the same people who said the same thing about Fallout:3. So it's safe to say that if you liked Fallout:3 you will like Fallout:4. If you like Bethesda games, you will more than likely like Fallout:4. That is not a blanket statement but rather a "mostly" true statement.

Nadia Nad

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Hang on. You play a single player game with teamspeak?

How does that work? Do you all pay the same bits at the same time? Or do you just generally chat while you go your separate ways?

Sorry, I know it's a little off topic.

bimsy

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 am

Just to nitpick this in particular: I can't stand this kind of mindset. You'll find it in every game that has a considerable modding community. The idea is, since modders do it better, the designers of the base game must not have any idea what they're doing. But, of course mods are going to do it better! You wouldn't install them if you didn't think they improved the game! And I've used tons of mods that, in the end, showed me exactly why Bethesda did something differently. To be clear, I'm not accusing you of actually having this mindset, it's just a huge pet peeve of mine that I've seen in several communities.

To our credit, the communities around Bethesda games are much better about this than some other places I've been around (ugh, Minecraft). Although the Fallout community does sometimes feel divided between the old-school fans and the newer fans. I understand what it's like to see a beloved franchise turn into something completely different after losing it's original developer (Crash Bandicoot will never be the same :c), but it seems like some people have nothing to contribute to the community aside from bitterness and hate... makes me think of the Lyons Brotherhood and the Outcasts. (to be painfully clear, if you've ever made a comment in a thread that wasn't about crapping on Bethesda or Fallout 4, then I'm not talking about you)

That's where I feel the "not a true Fallout/not a true RPG" rhetoric is coming from for the most part.

Eoh

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:44 am

lol love that part

Manny(BAKE)

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:10 am

yeah pretty much u summarize what u think too.

jennie xhx

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 am

It is very much possible it took me 4 tries 1st time but it can be done with good timing.

Erich Lendermon

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 am

yeah it took a little but there are way to kill it =P. The deathclaw kill me 6 times hahahhaha

NV surival mode is nice and all but really is irrelevant after 10m of u star playing the game.

stacy hamilton

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:45 am

Yeah, I'd like to, but it'll take me some time to really think of everything.

My very first impression, when I first started the game: I decided to start the game on the hardest difficulty, and I mistakenly decided to do it with a heavy RP before I necessarily knew what the game felt like. I felt really overwhelmed with everything I could do, and had a very difficult time adjusting to the game, but I decided to scrap that character and create the more natural build I intended to use at the start - it worked out every well from there, and now that I've got the hang of things Survival Mode feels great. I'm going through the game with that heavy RP character now and doing much better, too.

My first impression of the main quest was really positive, too, although there were some moments that just felt weird, like when companions mention other companions when you've never seen the two meet - some of that was also just weird pacing from me deciding to do some side-quests in-between, which is a pretty normal phenomenon for these games. But overall, I thought the story was great - lots of really impressive moments, surprises, and plenty of times where I felt like I had to make a hard choice. And now it seems like there were a ton of things I could have done but never actually knew about, so it's exciting to think of what's in store for new characters.

Companions are really well done, although I feel like romance is still an afterthought. But then again I actually may prefer it's simplicity - it's not campy or really self-aggrandizing like the romances in Mass Effect, and it changes little, but it still feels right. I guess I'm ultimately just unhappy with the companions I actually can romance - four men, three women, and aside from one (arguably two) they're pretty much all young and good-looking.

I have no problems with the new dialog system. Yes, New Vegas still has the best dialog in the entire series with all of it's skill checks and options, but I'm still very pleased with what I can say and do in 4. The voiced protagonists are great, and I can still feel a strong connection and unique personality to each of them - although that's probably my own perspective helping, since I could say the same about my Shepard too (being able to see my character's face in dialog actually helps a lot). And it all feels natural.

Roberta Obrien

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 am

keep in mind that while there are some bitter nostalgic fans, there are other critics who have legitimate points. weird thing about me is that i started out playing fallout 3 and fallout nv before checking out the classics.

but to address your 'crapping on fallout 4' statement, i believe that most fans are not doing it out of pure bitterness, but of their love and passion of the series. it's like if your child comes home with an 'f' on their report card. you know they could have done better.

Sarah Edmunds

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:52 am

It's more like the child came home with an A, except these people insist it's an F anyway, and treat the child with hatred and bitterness for the next 7 years until s/he brings home another A that they again interpret as an F and starts the cycle anew.

Sounds more like abuse than love.

Monika

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 am

When I bought Mass Effect 2, people said it svcked and the first one was better. When I bought Mass Effect 3, people said it svcked and the second one was better.

When I bought Oblivion, people said it svcked and Morrowind was better. When I bought Skyrim, people said it svcked and Oblivion was better.

When I bought Dragon Age 2, people said it svcked and Origins was better. When I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition, people said it svcked and the second one was better.

When I bought The Witcher 3, people said it svcked and the second one was better.

When I bought Dark Souls, people said it svcked and Demon's Souls was better. When I bought Dark Souls 2, people said it svcked and the first one was better. When I bought Bloodborne, people said it svcked and Dark Souls 2 was better.

When I bought Fallout 3, people said it svcked and the second one was better.

Now the same is happening with Fallout 4. I don't need to be Mama Murphy to know that the same will happen to Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dark Souls 3 which are around the corner.

Izzy Coleman

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:29 pm

You really need to include how many people though to show how relevant those examples are. Sure it may happen all the time, but sometimes it's a massive number and other times it's not.

Sabrina Steige

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:54 am

I'd say it's more like the child did a test for the wrong subject and came home with a C+

edit

I'd also liken Fallout to Star Wars. The old Fallouts being like the old Star Wars movies and the Bethesda Fallouts being like the newer Star Wars movies(prequels, not the upcoming one).

Max Van Morrison

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:59 am

Its not a controversy, Fallout is in the name, Bethesda has the rights to the series, its a fallout game.

Whether its good or not is entirely up to opinion. But to say it isnt really a fallout game is just stupid because then Fallout 3 or New Vegas weren't fallout games either.

Frank Firefly

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:48 am

i know what u mean.

and he point out the biggest game with massive numbers of complain, lol. I know ppl want to think Fo4 complains or "not happy about it", is big and all.

But u should have see Skyrim forums or Me3 forums, or DAI or worst DA2 forums. Every single sequel on history is always criticizes over and over.

I remember a particular case about ME 3, where everyone complain out loud about it, and everyone said how good ME2 was and how the story was the base on games and all [censored], and u could go find the same post about ME2 when it come out.

I guess ppl complain about Bethesda and what they did with Fallout. For me im glad they making it (i know it sound ungly) but the true is they wish to invest money and time working on it. And the true is they do a decent job.

For me most of those game become personal choice and i keep playing each and everyone on that list u give for different reason.

ME for me was the biggest exploration space game i play in a while.

Fallout is a exploration Sci-fie game

TES is a exploration Fantasy game

DA is a story driver Fatasy game same as Witcher 3

Only game never play was Dark Soul but i play Dragon Dogma, and that get got critics bc it was to similar to Dragon soul.

Offf topic=P i cant wait for ME Andromeda.

Richard Thompson

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:06 am

I love the new mechanics in general. It's very polished and has made my experience streamlined.

I hate the parts where they half-assed it. The dialogue system, the settler system, the perk chart. Mod and weapon balance, too, in a way.

This community is nowhere near as bad here as it could be. I play LoL and have tried to roam around the Destiny forums before I quit it.

Spoiler
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57190203.jpg

Wayne Cole

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:37 am

I can understand the complaints coming from rpgcodex and nma circles who are still pining for Fallout 2, but I don't really know where people who got hooked to the series on Fallout 3 are coming from. Fallout 4 follows the same direction as Fallout 3 with some minor upgrades and alterations. The differences are not that dramatic that you can say that you don't recognise the theme and style of the game from Fallout 3 to Fallout 4.

Glu Glu

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:51 am

OMG i tottaly forgot Destiny forums, man they are nasty there. U want to see another horrible forum about the Lore/story go check Star Craft 2 forums lol, the core fans of Star Craft 1 are SUPER PISS about the ending on SC2. LOL and the ending was write by the creator of the whole lore.

yeah i dont get it either.

Hope Greenhaw

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:40 am

Yeah, I was trying to make it clear that I'm not talking about people with legitimate issues. Fallout 4 is a much different RPG from Fallout 1 & 2. But there's reasonable discussion, and then there's taking every opportunity you can to just say something mean. But enough about that.

My issues with Fallout 4 are generally inconsequential things, like NPCs blocking my path in narrow doorways, awkward settler management, or the selection of hairstyles for female characters. The biggest issue I have? I'm not sure how I feel about the direction they're taking with the setting - it's getting more... fantastical. Things like the Triggermen (and the whole noir feeling of that stretch of the main quest) struck me as odd but okay, the Cabots had an interesting enough questline and story that I actually liked it, but the Kid In A Fridge quest is just confusing. I'm not going to condemn it right away - I never thought the Fallout universe should take itself so seriously (certainly not as seriously as New Vegas did), and I'm a huge fan of dark humor. I just don't know what to think about it yet - although I'm frankly surprised I'm not hearing any uproar over this stuff from the old-schoolers.

Lindsay Dunn

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:56 pm

There are some fair criticisms,

but much is a pile of whining.

The heart of it is that Fallout 4 is not 'a new shiny'.

It's an improvement and evolution in a myriad of ways and details of Fallout 3.

It's like taking a car and replacing and upgrading all the parts.

Everything has changed, but familiarity means it's an old car.

That's why (inevitable comparison), The Witcher III has gained approval because it feels like a new car...

It goes beyond being more Witcher II.

is this controversial?

No.

But those who view the work that has gone into Fallout 4 as lazy or sub-standard

really need to have a reality check.

Having spent over 200 hours in this game (every free minute I'm not working, eating or sleeping, basically)

I'm continuing to find things to enjoy.

Emma Louise Adams

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:54 pm

"You are so blind! You so do not understand! You weren't there at the beginning! You don't know how good it was, how important! This is it for you! This jumped-up firework display of a toy advert! People like you make me sick! What's wrong with you? Now, I don't care if you've saved up all your 50p's, take your pocket money and get out!" - Tim's Phantom Menace rant in Spaced

:P

(You can find it on You Tube, but there's a naughty word shortly after. So I can't link.)

RaeAnne

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Besides porm and cats, the internet in a nutshell.

Avril Churchill

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion