The Graphics

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:51 am

I don't believe its art for the next TES game as Emergent (the bankrupt company behind gamebryo) only uses their own pictures in their photos.

You're right! Martin must just be the name of the guy who made the scene.

The site certainly hasn't been updated in a while (no mention of New Vegas under games, for instance) so I don't think they'd have some random TES V media floating around on the site.
Sophh

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:09 pm

You're right! Martin must just be the name of the guy who made the scene.

The site certainly hasn't been updated in a while (no mention of New Vegas under games, for instance) so I don't think they'd have some random TES V media floating around on the site.

Especially because BGS are apparently not using any form of Gamebryo for TES V :biggrin:
Celestine Stardust

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Especially because BGS are apparently not using any form of Gamebryo for TES V :biggrin:

Yeah. I've read the twitter posts, but I also rhttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview from the producer of Skyrim, Todd Howard in regards to the engine. Now we all know that Gamebryo doesn't really exist anymore since the company went under, and we also know that Bethesda doesn't really wait on Emergent/Gamebryo to give them updates, as they develop their own engine in-house. We also know the damage and reputation Gamebryo gave Bethesda and Obsidian after the release of Fallout New Vegas. We can also consider Morrwind to Oblivion a new engine, though still gamebryo in nature.

Personally i'm not one of those people that says "death to gamebryo, its a bad engine." It does what they want to do and it does it rather well. But do you think this is just a ploy to end the (undeserved) hatred towards Bethesda developed/published games?
sexy zara

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 am

Yeah. I've read the twitter posts, but I also rhttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview from the producer of Skyrim, Todd Howard in regards to the engine. Now we all know that Gamebryo doesn't really exist anymore since the company went under, and we also know that Bethesda doesn't really wait on Emergent/Gamebryo to give them updates, as they develop their own engine in-house. We also know the damage and reputation Gamebryo gave Bethesda and Obsidian after the release of Fallout New Vegas. We can also consider Morrwind to Oblivion a new engine, though still gamebryo in nature.

Personally i'm not one of those people that says "death to gamebryo, its a bad engine." It does what they want to do and it does it rather well. But do you think this is just a ploy to end the (undeserved) hatred towards Bethesda developed/published games?

That could be true. They've rebuilt a lot so may say it's new to stop any backlash from those upset by NV's bugs. But I don't think so, the number of people who wouldn't buy a game based on it's engine is so small it may as well not exist. The number of people who base it on developer however is larger. And changing (or renaming) the engine won't make people who think BGS is responsible for a broken fallout buy Skyrim.

I'm also not one to say "death to Gamebryo," I would defend it and was forced to eat my words about it being an updated engine. But I guess we can only wait and see.
Prue

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:07 am

Who cares what the heck the semantics are? As long as it looks good
Captian Caveman

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:37 am

"Made it to London. Still haven't slept yet. And I'm hungry. It's cold and wet. Perfect conditions for me to give demos today." - Pete Hines' Twitter account.

Demos of Skyrim?
Stat Wrecker

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 am

I'd like it to be graphically on par with games like Crysis. Unfortunately, I don't honestly see that happening.

At least... not without mods
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 am

"I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game." - Todd Howard

These words by Todd Howard in particular intrigue me. I can't wait to see some screen shots!
Invasion's

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:01 am

"Made it to London. Still haven't slept yet. And I'm hungry. It's cold and wet. Perfect conditions for me to give demos today." - Pete Hines' Twitter account.

Demos of Skyrim?

I was wondering that too!
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:23 am

What are good graphics? Is it the artistic style or the animation or the tightness and clarity of textures or extreme realism? I have no idea. Everybody has different tastes on what they enjoy viewing.. One person might say something has bad graphics while another says they are great. It's all basically just a viewpoint. I look at games and try to put them in perspective. Would Mass Effect be a good game if it was a top down or isometric game? No.. not really. Would oblivion had been good in those views.. yes...pretty much. I'm only impressed by graphics for a short period.. after awhile it's the game play that matters. Like everyone else I want it to be new, shiny and pretty.. better animations. But if it's a good game.. in the long run I won't be talking about the graphics.
Rachell Katherine

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 am

Something along the lines of Far Cry 2 would be good graphics wise.
That game had a very large open world, but still had the graphics to back it up (too bad it was boring).
Ashley Hill

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:51 pm

I have a hard time speculating graphical possibilities for this game. On one hand, if you look at the series history, each game has been a dramatic overhaul graphically. On the other, this is the first game in the series where it's predecessor ran on the exact same hardware. They are working with the same tools, effectively, so there is really only so much they can do.

But I'm optimistic. They've learned a lot these past years. They've multiple projects on this hardware under their belt. They are using software that feels comfortable to them. I have every hope that they now have the daring to take it to the next level, without constantly worrying so much about framerate and stability.
Jimmie Allen

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm pretty confident in Bethesda this time. They're well aware of all the criticisms and inconsistencies their games have accrued over the years, and this time I think they're putting a lot of effort into artistic direction. I don't know why, but something about Skyrim's announcement and release schedule seems so...perfectly planned. A date as significant as 11.11.11 is one you can bet Bethesda won't delay - clearly they already have much of the core game done and are quite confident in the development process at this point.

What are good graphics? Is it the artistic style or the animation or the tightness and clarity of textures or extreme realism? I have no idea. Everybody has different tastes on what they enjoy viewing..

You've a point here. This may sound blasphemous, but I never found Oblivion visually spectacular - I wasn't really following coverage of it when it was released, but looking back at all those muddy promotional screenshots with no anti-aliasing and 50% draw distances, I honestly can't believe people were actually using that game as a benchmark back in 2006.

In my opinion, vanilla Morrowind has better graphics than vanilla Oblivion from a stylistic standpoint. The faces aren't randomized and repetitive - they fit each race's profile more faithfully than many of the Facegen NPCs in the latter had. The environment in Morrowind seemed more realistic - everything seemed smaller and tighter, whereas everything in Oblivion seemed blown up, as if you were running around with a tighter field of view. All of the armor in Morrowind, even the mundane Imperial/Nordic sets perceived as your typical "medieval" equipment, had intricate patterns and trims on it. All of the armor in Oblivion resembled a fat suit with metal oven mitts. /rage
Britta Gronkowski

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 am

Who gives a [censored] about the graphics. Regardless of how they are in vanilla, there WILL be texture packs. Beth is good with their tech, and while I am a bit disappointed that their using the same engine since Morrowind (which is still heads above Oblivion, which I played first) there are some good points, ie, they know how to work it. this was Obsidian's buggy downfall. I'm just hoping that the LOD will actually look nice for once.
J.P loves

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:52 am

I'll be disappointed on the graphics if they don't at least make some effort to up the ante using DirectX11.

Tessellation is not something to be missed.

Although I personally would absolutely love I doubt it will happen.

BTW The Witcher 2 looks absolutely amazing, would love if TES V could match or beat that.
Devils Cheek

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 am

Although I personally would absolutely love I doubt it will happen.

BTW The Witcher 2 looks absolutely amazing, would love if TES V could match or beat that.

oh man the part where he walks out of the cell in the witcher 2 and you see the city.............my mouth drop wide open
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:05 am

Guys I'm confused. Beth tweeted that the engine is brand new, but this thread said it's a the built upon previous engine. What gives?
Floor Punch

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 am

oh man the part where he walks out of the cell in the witcher 2 and you see the city.............my mouth drop wide open

I know...it was like when in OB you get out of the sewers, or in FO3 you get out of the Vault only 100X more magnificient.
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Guys I'm confused. Beth tweeted that the engine is brand new, but this thread said it's a the built upon previous engine. What gives?

I think it's a new engine Beth developed but with some of the tech they've been using in their past games, only updated and merged into the new engine.
Dan Wright

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:38 am

I'm sure the game will look great, especially since he said it's a bigger jump than Oblivion to fallout 3. Also alot of people didn't like characters and their animations which he said that they are working on. Seems like it's gonna be great graphics wise which i didn't think any of us were too awfully afraid of. Now lets hope the story line is better than Oblivions, more choices so nothing is pushed on you, and better side quests.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:16 am

Honestly, as long as the game looks as good as Oblivion and is enjoyable, I won't complain.

However, I really, really, really, REALLY hope Bethesda have taken on board some of the many suggestions made by the community. I'm pretty sure they have, but how many and to what quality we won't know until release, sadly. In fact, have they said anything about reading those Ideas/Suggestions threads?

Another thing I'd really like to see is character animations, which Todd has mentioned, however I want to see how far they've really gone to improve them. Oblivion/Fallout's animation are getting a bit...bland, for me now. I'd love to see characters acting similar to the ones in Metro 2033. Hopefully they'll have more in-depth routines as well; I'd love to see children running around purely for the fact it would make the game feel more alive.
Jessica White

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Agree with SkullCruseher. We don't know much about the engine at this point but it seems as though it's based on a lot of stuff they already know or have. IF they used Gamebryo, atleast in the beginning, and was aware of the animation problems, that could indicate that they atleast used the newest version of Gamebryo, which supports Euphoria and DMM. This might be a longshot, but Euphoria is what this series really need, or something better. DMM would have been a cool bonus :)
priscillaaa

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:33 am

I think it's a new engine Beth developed but with some of the tech they've been using in their past games, only updated and merged into the new engine.

I'm pretty sure that they said it's the same engine they just completely revamped it.
Phillip Brunyee

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:30 am

Since the animation seems to be a key point, maybe it could be an engine specifically designed for realistic animation, like Rockstar's engine? I can see why they want to keep their own, as they know the SDK and scripting language in it.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Rockstar also use Euphoria. It's Natural Motion's software btw, not Rockstars ;)
stacy hamilton

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim