The Graphics

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 am

So... there's been too many threads around here asking "What will it look like??? OMG"

The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

There's always stuff to improve. If I had to take a step back, I think our worlds are very good, I think we're on the cutting edge as far as that goes. When it comes to the characters and the animation, I think there are other people who do it much, much better. That's something we've put a lot of time into - not just technology but people and talent, and how long we spend doing individual elements.

How other characters behave and look on the screen is the next thing people need to do better. There are people doing it really well, but by and large the environments look good and it's just getting people to behave in those environments better.

Found http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview

So there we are, directly from Todd Howard, director of Skyrim, on what the game will look like. If you're still wondering, well it'll look like other games. Because they're all built off the same consoles, and everyone that makes shiny things shares stuff with each other. Heck there's two entire conferences every year dedicated to game dudes showing off to other game dudes how they built their games. Anyway, good examples are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgogah1INcY
or maybe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxoBTgytEQ
or maybe even
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhcDQvFedlE

And we'll get screenshots soon enough.
Edit- Bethblogger say "It's all new!" https://twitter.com/Bethblog
Danii Brown

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 am

hey where did you find that information and how? if it's your own source than i can respect that
Nauty

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:28 am

Except Fable 3's graphics were terrible.
Andrew Perry

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:20 am

hey where did you find that information and how? if it's your own source than i can respect that

Uhhh the link he gave in his post? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview
chirsty aggas

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:36 am

I'll be disappointed on the graphics if they don't at least make some effort to up the ante using DirectX11.

Tessellation is not something to be missed.
Juliet

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:36 am

What?
Steeeph

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 pm

I want some screens real soon, seriously. You can't just put a trailer, and make me wait. Cruel, cruel punishment..
dav

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:22 pm

What?

Personal opinion I guess, but if I was to say that Fable 3's graphics were a strong point I'd be lying. I could pick a dozen other games from 2010 as better examples, hell some from 2009 and 2008 even.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:46 am

Personally, I don't really care about the graphics. They are the least important thing in a game for me. I'd be happy if Skyrim had Morrowind's or even Daggerfall's graphics. Do I want cutting edge graphics? Of course, who doesn't? Would I mind if I didn't get them? No. As long as the game is fun, I'm happy.
noa zarfati

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:48 am

It sounds like it will looks stunning. Which is great, one of my favorite things about Elder Scrolls is how the graphics are always a step ahead of its time.
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:28 am

Personally, I don't really care about the graphics. They are the least important thing in a game for me. I'd be happy if Skyrim had Morrowind's or even Daggerfall's graphics. Do I want cutting edge graphics? Of course, who doesn't? Would I mind if I didn't get them? No. As long as the game is fun, I'm happy.

QFT

However the graphics do play a large role in immersion, so I hope the graphics are slightly better than Daggerfall's, that I wouldn't be able to deal with. XD Morrowind is fine though ;)
Mimi BC

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 am

Thanks for reminding us of that second quote. I think it's a nice sign - it seems to me that the critical view of Morrowind's and Oblivion's visuals was that they had great environments and architecture (you might argue that Oblivion was pretty cookie-cutter, but I think given that setting choice it's pretty clear that the environments and architecture were well realised), but that the animation was pretty clunky. It's good to see that BGS have acknowledged this, and have focused on improving the animation. I look forward to seeing the results.
Markie Mark

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 pm

I hope Skyrim's look is unique as if I look somewhere I'll see something that looks awesome like Throat Of the Mountain

I disagree it was a huge jump from what Fable 2 had Graphics wise
Sunnii Bebiieh

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:19 am

QFT

However the graphics do play a large role in immersion, so I hope the graphics are slightly better than Daggerfall's, that I wouldn't be able to deal with. XD Morrowind is fine though ;)

Okay...

I disagree greatly. There is no reason for them to reverse the technology used to make their games, and so I would be pretty angry if they did that. With that said, I don't need the game to look better than Fallout 3, although if they can make it look better, I would love that, as well.
Cartoon

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Okay...

I disagree greatly. There is no reason for them to reverse the technology used to make their games, and so I would be pretty angry if they did that. With that said, I don't need the game to look better than Fallout 3, although if they can make it look better, I would love that, as well.

I think he was being sarcastic, Seti.
Flutterby

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:44 am

I think he was being sarcastic, Seti.

I wasn't. I was being serious.

And Seti, I know they won't go backwards, but my point was that I wouldn't care if they did.
Chris BEvan

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:22 am

Gameplay and less Bugs is my biggest concern Graphics is just a moot point although I don't want stick figures in a black and white universe. I trust Bethesda we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Marina Leigh

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:08 am

QFT

Morrowind graphics are fine, but most games now a days feel too fake, like everything is made of rubber and just bends to do animations. I really dont like the look, I really hope skyrim isnt like that.
Dan Endacott

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Most of the general public put their first opinion down based on the graphics, then they go for gameplay and lastly story. If what the quote says is true and "You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game" Im not worried about graphics at all. After that as long as the game plays well and gives me alot to do Ill be good =]
Danny Blight

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 am

If what the quote says is true and "You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game" Im not worried about graphics at all. After that as long as the game plays well and gives me alot to do Ill be good =]

Pretty much. I want to see this "new console" look. They must of done some serious overhauling of the Gamebryo engine.
Kortknee Bell

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:48 am

All I want is unique environments, and no more generic field, forest, mountain. Give me fjords, give me frozen lakes, give me fertile valleys, show me the taiga. Show me Nordic cities, not just castles. Let me see inspiring Nordic culture!
Dawn Farrell

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Pretty much. I want to see this "new console" look. They must of done some serious overhauling of the Gamebryo engine.

I wonder if the "new console look" applies to the game on actual consoles or if it only applies to the game on higher-end PCs. Graphics settings make a difference. What do you think?
Marcus Jordan

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Uhhh the link he gave in his post? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview

i dont know if i understand what the article is saying...but it sounds like there is a speculation about a different game to me but i can see what they mean by it being Skyrim
David John Hunter

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:20 pm

From what Beth staffers have said, it is a brand new game engine and not Gamebryo at all.
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:53 am

None of your examples are anywhere near bleeding edge graphically. Fable 3 especially.

Cry 2 and a number of Eastern European engines are significantly better than the examples. Even some Unreal 3 stuff beats it.
Queen of Spades

Next

Return to V - Skyrim