The Unofficial Healthy-Dose-of-Pessimism Thread

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:14 am

What makes me hopeful it's not BoS and rather a military remnant force that isn't BoS or Enclave related is the lack of BoS symbols in the trailer.
Miragel Ginza

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:50 am

A voiced protagonists with an identifiable face is brave from Bethesda.Their raison d'etre has always been about customisation of the PC, I wonder how this affects it.
Claire Vaux

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I remember the original thread (it was only a thread, not a whole forum) when Fallout 3 was first announced. It went on and on and on for days with almost nothing but complaints and threats. People were insisting on it being ISOMETRIC quasi-3D.

As for this one, we have the example of New Vegas to show how the game can easily be made more immersive. hardcoe mode is not much to ask for. Hopefully Beth got the message when it came to writing and atmosphere.

Hannah Barnard

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 am

Don't get me wrong, the cartoony style can work. Wind Waker was boo'ed before release and it spawned an entire line of Zelda games with it's style. Team Fortress 2 is another game that's timeless and it's art style is absolutely charming and flawless.

However, TF2 is a game where you run around screaming poot dispenser here while nom'ing a sandvich. Fallout has always been kind of dark and gritty. There's humor for sure, but it's dark humor. As such, the graphics style does feel a bit like a mismatch to me, I gotta admit. I could overlook it for sure, I just kinda don't understand why they chose this art style instead of something more in line with FO3 or Skyrim.

I think another issue is some of the other stuff attached to those leaks, AKA if the definitive voiced protagonist elements don't upset you, some of the story elements attached with that might.

There were two leaks that have been "correct" to an extent. The first has a picture of a guy that looks just like our man in the trailer. This leak suggests you're a pre-war soldier, you were cryo frozen, and you're fully voice acted. The second leak goes further and suggests that you're a father, you wake up from your cryoslumber, find your vault bombed with robots going amok and your wife is dead, with a suggestion the plot is one of revenge. This second leak is a lot bolder, claiming that the three main factions in the game are the Institute (the baddies), the Railroad, and the Brotherhood (although more like the classic Brotherhood rather than the Eastern from FO3; Outcasts maybe?). The second leak (which is 11 months old) also hit the nail on the head with estimated trailer releases and game release dates.

Both leaks line up exceedingly well with scenes we're fed in the trailer, unfortunately, and you may not be so fond of some of the suggested plot elements...

Lizs

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:29 am

The graphics are laughably bad. 2008 graphics.

Charleigh Anderson

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:45 am

I think it's just a poster child and not an actual thing pointing to a voice protag and even so if there is a voice protag I hope it's an option and I bet there will be numerous "SHUT UP, PROTAG" day-one mods
Liv Staff

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:26 am

I agree, it's brave. Thus it's almost automatically a good thing.

Yeah, I hope this won't turn out true.

Ernesto Salinas

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:58 pm

It looks as if they combined the art style of Rage, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite together with Fallout 3 or something...

Amy Gibson

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 am

Maybe so. My time away from the forums playing other things has allowed me to get excited about this announcement, and part of me still can't believe its actually happened. I keep revisiting the website to make sure I wasn't imagining it. :happy:

You may be right. Maybe it will be 'a mile wide and an inch deep', but you know what, that's ok with me. In Fallout 3 Bethesda gave me a game that I got completely lost in. Every day I would log on and decide which part of the map to explore next - and I loved every single minute of it. If Fallout 4 gives me that experience all over again, then I'll be absolutely delighted.

Today is a happy day, lets enjoy it.

Marnesia Steele

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:43 am

Exactly the first thing I thought when I first watched it. It looks like the brotherhood is gonna be part of the main story, at least that's the assumption I got from watching the trailer.
That's already got me disappointed, id love to be wrong in my guess though.

I really hope they dont go the predictable king Arthur route with that maxson kid in fallout 3 being some saviour of the brotherhood, but I can see him playing a big part in the story.

All in all though, I can say I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be from a fallout 4 trailer.
There's just something about it that gives me a bad feeling in my gut.
e.Double

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:53 am

Disappointed it was only a slight step up from Skyrim in terms of graphics. Heck, my modded Skyrim looks better.

Some of the stuff were an obvious copy-paste from Fallout 3.

I'll probably buy it anyway just for the exploration, but the trailer reeked of cliche-fest.

Miguel

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:44 am

someone was saying, at nexus, that they made this for xbox360 console gen

i hope not. just more of the same otherwise, might as well play fo3

Crystal Birch

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:51 am

It's the 3rd of June and just another sleepy dusty delta day...until...Fallout 4 was announced.

Latisha Fry

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Like I said I'm hopeful it's not due to lack of BoS symbols or imagery. If it turns out to be a military regiment that hid in bunkers or a vault and they're entirely different from the enclave or BoS then I'd gladly support the idea as it's not all that bad.

I don't know, I like how much color there is in it over how bland, brown and grey some games have been recently.
Jani Eayon

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:16 am

Same here, but now with this trailer, I've got warning flags going off in my head. :tongue: Another thing the second leak listed for example was that you never actually meet Three Dog, you only hear him. This is because it's possible to kill him in FO3, so the solution is that you hear him via radio and many people think it's just pre-recorded, much like how you never actually meet Mr. New Vegas because he's not actually a living person. That? That's a very concious attention to detail with Bethesda's standard practices and guidelines for their games. If that leak is a fake, that person did their homework and checked for EVERY possible mistake before writing it up. Those leaks are now looking solid: back then we thought they were laughable because they claimed FO4 would have a voiced protagonist and the like, but now that that's off the table, the leaks are checking out pretty well with the trailer.

On a more optimistic note, the same second leak suggested the game would be absolutely massive in size.

Setal Vara

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:31 am

The two things worrying me are the flashbacks and the voiced protagonist.

I like my fallout games worried about the present, I hope this isn't an operation anchorage main theme or something similar. I want to be in the wasteland, in the now.

But it seems possibly from the theme of the trailer it's going to worry alot about the past, but the past in fallout games has always been a side thing for the most part.

Unless a certain brain and/or ghoul may be the main antagonists...
Chris BEvan

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:47 am

Maybe I'm behind but where are these leaks exactly? Can't remember anything about them but curious as to what they say if they've got you worried then they likely will I.

Louise Dennis

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:22 pm

What I can't understand is how the hell can they make this terrible trailer? Skyrim trailer was awesome, Dragonborn DLC trailer was, in some ways, even better... This is a huge drop in quality. Whoever thought that squeezing "War never changes" in between two sentences in the middle of the trailer should be fired. I get the feeling this is another "high school buddy of Todd" scenario and the person who made the awesome trailers is probably unemployed somewhere.

Also yeah, the Kotaku leak is all but confirmed. Although a part of me is still hopeful, maybe that vault dweller in the trailer is a companion instead of the protagonist. Maybe it's going to be like in Oblivion where Martin is the hero and you are just his sidekick. Doubt it, but maybe that's the case. That said, I'm still fully expecting "Commonwealth Minutemen" and "choppers" lol.

Phoenix Draven

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

I don't know about that part, you could kill Lucien Lachance in Oblivion, yet the Dark Brotherhood still got a listener and end up the way that they do in Skyrim. 3 dog being killable is more of a choice and Beth would probably have him surviving be canon. At least that's my theory. :tongue:

Forgot about Minutemen, that will probably be in there somewhere. :D

Heather Dawson

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 am

I'm actually not clear on if I'm allowed to link to any leaks, thus why I've provided this info as word-of-mouth thusfar. If I'm allowed to I'll gladly link to them directly, though I think one in particular probably can't be posted here as it's referring to a laid off Bethesda employee, which they can't be too pleased about.

Rob

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:24 am

Well, the leaks also suggested a good level of character customisation so if they're all true it'd put my mind at ease, at least.

The plot does sound a little overbearing, but to be fair, all Fallout plots aside from New Vegas were overbearing:

Fallout 1 - You must find water or everybody dies.

Fallout 2 - You must help your tribe of ignorant savages by finding the deus ex machina.

Fallout 3 - You were raised in a Vault and must now find your daddy.

The voice thing still worries me greatly though.

Nicholas

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Some deep divers and conspiracy theorists have found mention of Xbox 360 and PS3 in the code for the countdown clock yesterday. Could it be they developed this game with backward compatibility in mind? If I have to build a game suitable for the power of the 360, will all other iterations suffer?

I don't know enough technically but if this is the case it could lend itself to the look and less than impressive visuals.

PC players rejoice, your version will be the showpiece.

The voice PC doesn't bother me one bit. I think more immersion if anything. Since I was a kid I hated reading character interactions in games. I like full VO.

Of Course they could be doing a limited voice thing. Male and Female VO for major cut scenes but the rest is still the silent protagonist.

Zosia Cetnar

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm

Maybe they can just add a mute option for some of us?
u gone see

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:49 am

I liked the flashbacks because I like the history of the Fallout universe.

RAww DInsaww

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:39 pm

The problem is for me with Skyrim as it has very little re-play value like Fallout 3,NV and Oblivion had and that's due to poor writing and forgettable characters.

Yeah I completely agree we should be, and I am, in a state of shock and excitement :P I think the trailer was pretty good. I think the voiced protagonist was just for the trailer and the graphics looked fair. Bethesda have never been at the forefront of graphics or animations.

I just can't wait for E3 now.
Danielle Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4