The Unofficial Healthy-Dose-of-Pessimism Thread

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:56 am

Perhaps the two of you should bother reading and see that the trailer itself isn't so much the issue, but rather how well some "leaks" line up with what was shown in the trailer, and the implications those leaks would have for FO4 if they're actually legit.

If you're of the opinion such discussion is worthless since we cannot verify the leaks or not, that's perfectly understandable. People like myself however? I'm curious as can be. This isn't exclusive to Fallout, this is how I am. I horde info, and as it stands? Info suggests those leaks were legit, and I'd like to see if someone happens along that can either reinforce or debunk that in some way.

Christina Trayler

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:39 am

Voiced protagonist.

Lucy

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Honestly though if the game got rid of cells completely or 90% of the loading screens from previous games and is completely open the way GTA 5 is, then I would not give two farts about the graphics or animations for not being as good as I'd expect.

Tiff Clark

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 am

Not confirmed
louise hamilton

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 am

From a trailer and it's three words. We do not KNOW what this character is. Same as the Promo Fallout 3 character isn't exclusively how we look, or the Courier. It's promotional work. If there's voices, big deal, I can work with that and build my character around that.

Etta Hargrave

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 pm

The character models looks a little weird, especially Mr. 111. But the rest of the world actually looks really great. I'm afraid of the possibility of a voiced protagonist.. not a fan of forcing a voice to my character.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:00 am

Yeah, at the moment it's all circumstancial evidence.

The only reason it's taken seriously is because we now have circumstancial evidence three-fold. AKA, the "leaks" claiming we'd get a voiced protagonist also offered a picture with a STRIKING resemblance to the guy in the trailer, and offered a plot line that does a lot to explain the flashback sequences in the trailer.

[Bounty][Ben]

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:42 am

Honestly I never paid attention to most of the leaks, so I'm not sure what's confirmed or not, that's not what I don't like about the trailer.

It's just many aspects of the trailer play on my assumptions of Bethesda game studios and the direction they've been going with their games recently.
As I said before, I hope I'm wrong, but for some reason this trailer doesn't give me much confidence for fallout 4, I thought I'd be much more excited about it.

The trailer just gives me a bad feeling in my gut is all, but only time will tell me if I'm wrong.
Sasha Brown

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:29 am

The problem is that this is completely in line with that horrible Kotaku leak that was released right after the Survivor hoax. That means we have a completely set main character, which wouldn't be terrible, if he wasn't your average B action movie protagonist like what the leak suggested - which proved to be accurate, so far. Also notice that the vault dweller person said his three words at the end of the trailer - basically trying to communicate that the voiced protagonist is what we're supposed to be hyped about, that's the selling point of this game. Meaning they hype the game on a lack of freedom to create an actual character. And you wonder why people facepalm?

Jesus Sanchez

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 pm

This is a pessimism thread. I’m not sure why you are surprised at the complaints.

That being said, I’d look at this a bunch of Fallout superfans that are hopeful for a great game but want to voice to the developer some things that are “wrong” with the trailer. We do not want many of these things in the final game and hope Bethesda notices and takes appropriate action.

In that light it is a hopeful and forward looking thread.

Amiee Kent

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:25 am

That same leak contains info for male and female voice actors - so character customisation is implied there if true. Greaser McGibson there would therefore be a default look.

Presumably the wife would be replaced with husband with a female option.

Though it does sort of shoot in the foot anyone wanting their character to not be tied down with a family history. Or not be straight for that matter.

MISS KEEP UR

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:25 am

I'm not sure what to make of it honestly, i'm slightly underwhelmed.It looks like the BOS are going to be a major presence again, sadly.I'm not overly keen in the pre-war focus but I'll wait to see more before I disparage it.

Graphically it looks like a mixed bag, and probably inferior to the witcher 3.

Raymond J. Ramirez

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 am

I might be clueless but there isn't much to confirm about the game by judging the trailer only.

Like everyone, i am a bit worried about the very possibility of a voiced protagonist, but this isn't confirmed yet.

There might be no voice, or just narration voice in some limited segment, by having the protagonist narrates instead of Ron Perlmann.

We just don't know yet, and i doubt even them would go to such low level.

I am also worried that the dog might be a dogmeat companion, but this isn't confirmed yet. We don't know if there will be a dog, if that dog will be a companion or if it will be called Dogmeat. I hope not, at least for the last two factors.

It seems there is more people in settlements, and more advanced technologies in those settlement. It seems reassuring after the mess they created with Fo3, which seemed like the bombs only fell a few years before, and in which you could call a town while there is only 1-2 people.

It also seems that they didn't spent too much time improving those useless polygons, which can lead a pretty optimist mind to consider that they might have spent that valuable time improving things that were lacking in Fo3, like writting, Choices & Consequences, consistency, RPG features, challenge, non-linearity, grey morality, mind-blowing dilemmas etc... One can still hope...

Although, considering the Fo3 experience, i will wait some legit non-affiliated reviews to form an opinion and consider getting it.

Ella Loapaga

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:21 am

This thread is more unhealthy than it should be since it's fueled by naysayers who would rather Fallout died in the hands of Interplay then be reappropriated by Bethesda.

Emma Copeland

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Well, that's what happens when you recycle the same engine for 13 years :lmao:

Anyway, all i'm expecting is to join the good guys because good guys to murder the bad guys because bad guys with a character creation that allows you to max out everything and combat system that requires you only to left click.

Oh, and maybe they go full Skyrim with guns, and i can shoot down Dragons Vertibirds, and maybe even fly one :cool:

So yes, even Bethesda has to work hard to not deliver on those expectations :tongue:

Well, as always, mods and then some, and it becomes a half decent dungeon crawler :happy:

I still think someone made a typo in the years, and then it was too late to fix it, and went with 200 :teehee:
Stephanie Nieves

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:42 am

One of the few enjoyable memories of FO3 was selling Bryan WIlkes off into slavery.

Also, BGS needs to grow up, and realize this is FO and not TES, when it comes to lore and what not, and make decisions on canon. Put on your big boy and girl pants, BGS.

Cheryl Rice

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 pm

This will be the best Fallout ;)

Glu Glu

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:25 am

I'm excited to see a new Fallout on the horizon but the trailer was certainly underwhelming. First, something everyone has pointed out - it looks like the BoS and Enclave will be making a re-appearance. I had hoped they'd explore newer pastures.

Animations are still floaty. This is especially noticable at 1:41 and during the ghoul/raider(?) assualt scene at 1:50. That does not bode well for combat. I reckon weapons will still feel weightless.

I'm most concerned about the writing, though. Poorly written dialogue really detracts from good story-telling. With proper scripting even a generic fetch quest can be passed off as genuinely good.

P.S: Being pessimistic has its advantages. You never know, you may pleasantly surprised by the game when it finally releases and it helps keep my expectations in check.

MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:26 am

Nah. Then we wouldn't have New Vegas. We're skeptical. Doesn't mean we all hate Bethesda.
Suzy Santana

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:44 am

It is not because we see some power armors that the Enclave/BOS will appear.

Power Armor were first used by US military.

jason worrell

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 am

The trailer gives a pretty clear view of the game and the engine. The game is probably going to be great, the engine not so much:

- Wonky physics

- Low res textures on the dog

- Only a few bumpmaps and little antialiasing

- Small settlements, look at 1:53, four buildings and a handful NPCs

From the looks of it, it's also still using the same uGrids like setting to render terrain.

Well, why is this all so bad?

- The same engine has been in use for over a decade causing lots of issues

- The engine has notorious and unsolvable bugs, like random CTDs, memory leaks and other technical problems

- Expect Playstation problems, like in New Vegas and Skyrim

- No support for immersive large settlements

- The final version will probably still contain thousands of bugs, like previous iterations

Umpyre Records

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 am

why should we expect Playstation problems, when the PS3 was a big hunk of crap?

Dj Matty P

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:01 pm

One thing that concerns me from one of those leaked scripts is the lack of player character dialogue choice. In FO3/NV you have multiple options... I hope it doesn't take the same route that Skyrim went down.

I have a feeling it will make a return. I hope I'm proven wrong... (whimpers)

HARDHEAD

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:32 pm

TES or not they should only do that if absolutely necessary. Frankly, I thought Fallout 2 and New Vegas tried to canonize more about previous games than they actually needed to. If making a certain decision canon results in a better story by all means, but if it's meaningless details like what Fallout 2, and especially New Vegas veered towards, no thanks.

Cody Banks

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 am

I dunno that they're trying to make Fallout like TES...but...

Todd Howard gets an iPhone = "Guys let's make Skyrim's UI like an Apple Product" = Everyone hates Skyrim's UI which might as well be the worst UI a game has ever produced.
Someone on the Bethesda team likes Underworld the TV show = "Guys check out these vampire lords I made for Skyrim" = The existing lore surrounding Skyrim's vampire race is practically gutted so that instead we can have Underworld vampires

Todd Howard plays Bioshock Infinite = "COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL," exclaimed Todd Howard like a 10 year old = Fallout 4 looks suspiciously like Bioshock Infinite

I mean, if I had some irrational hatred of TES or something? I'd totally sabotage it by just showing Todd Howard a clip of Speed Racer or something as they entered development of TES 6. We'd totally end up with Bretons using cars and having racing derbys.

It's their games and their franchises, but omfg the directions and the styles seem so ADHD. There's no commitment whatsoever. They just do whatever feels cool at the time, and it's to the detriment of our enjoyment of their games in my opinion, because somewhere down the line, Bethesda is bound to break their own mold that you loved and go "and now for something completely different" because someone let Todd Howard eat too much sugar before letting him stay up past his bedtime to watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and then lo and behold your protagonist of Fallout 5 is a giant milkshake.

bimsy

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4