The Unofficial Healthy-Dose-of-Pessimism Thread

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:51 am

So Fallout 4 will be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

+++CAZZY

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:40 pm

The outside environment looks lifted from FO3. I was expecting something totally different, maybe cool deserts with sand blowing (with real particle physics) or dense charred forests or huge sprawling rocky cliff faces with ashed sides. I mean just watch the latest Mad Max remember that awesome radiation swamp and the badass cliffs.

o well

Julie Ann

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:24 am

What you view as meaningless, others do not, those who are very much interested in the history and lore, and canon of the games.

carley moss

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:47 am

Dude are you forgetting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCtdVIRhBJU

Alessandra Botham

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:47 am

I'm interested in the history and lore, I just don't think it's a good idea to canonize small, trivial details in a series that is primarily about choices and role playing. What did canonizing the Vault Dweller as male do for the setting? Absolutely nothing. It was however a big screw you to the people who played Fallout 1 as a female character.

Canonizing Shady Sands' good ending so that the NCR is born is one thing, but canonizing the Vault Dweller's gender? That was pointless. It's things like that, that should be avoided in the future.

kennedy

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 am

...pointless comment...

lauraa

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 pm

The only hope in there is that those may be scripts purely for the purposes of the casting call and don't reflect the in game dialgoue at all.

ANaIs GRelot

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 am

Yes, I am, actually. I only remembered the one puzzle with the solution on the claw key thingie. Completely forgot that there were different variations of the same puzzle. Maybe I should replay Skyrim, but it's too much of a bother.

Back to Bioshock Infinite: I never played it, don't even know what it's about, but doesn't it turn out that the main character was some war criminal or some such (judging by the Wounded Knee thing)? If they do something similar in Fallout 4, then the Bioshock Infinite theory will be proven.

Ellie English

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:57 am

Gender is small and pointless? I don't think so. Just like I hope they declare the LW gender in FO4, and I hope it is female. A female Chosen One, for example, can't have six with a Bishop lady can they? So what if you played the game as a female or a male, your play through, is not canon, no matter what. Sure, you could try to play a "canon" playthrough, once you found out what was canon, but that isn't the point. The good ending for Shady Sands isn't a big screw you to the people who played and shot Tandi in the face, or left her to rot with the Khans? What you did on your particular play through, isn't canon, and nor is canon a "screw you" if it doesn't follow how you played the game.

Seems to me you are used to how BGS handles TES lore, which isn't for me, nor has it been a part of the FO Universe. But, there are those of us who do think so called small, trivial, details, are not small and trivial, but can be very important to the history and lore of the games.

Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:46 pm

There's no point in us knowing Courier Six once punched a Deathclaw in the face or rushed down a Nightkin with a pen knife either, yet that's canon.

It's flavor. It personifies these characters and gives them character to make them interesting. For example, the canon Chosen One sounds hilariously clueless based on what we hear about him in New Vegas; just some young tribal kid wandering around the civilized world to help his people, accidently getting himself in all kinds of shenanigans. Is there any point to knowing Chosen banged Mr. Bishop's daughter? No. Is it hilarious and does it make Chosen that much more endearing and memorable? Yes it does.

Ultimately there's no right or wrong answer, it's preference. Personally though, I hate it when a company is so phobic of canon that they end up saying nothing at all. Yes, I do want to hear about what kind of stuff the Courier did, for the same reasons I enjoyed hearing about Chosen: because it's entertaining and because it feeds a curiousity of mine about how things went down. On the opposite end of the spectrum? When nothing gets named...? Well then wtf it becomes increasingly difficult to avoid naming things that occured and can have awkward results, not to mention it's just....boring in my opinion. It's essentially a state where nothing ever happens, because heaven forbid if something happen that conflicts with something a player did.

Here, have a super sarcastic and biting review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwb19cdoKOU

Adam Baumgartner

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 am

I agree completely. Bethesda completely butchered the BoS in Fallout 3 and made them pseudo white knights.

Steve Smith

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:57 am

Shady Sands is integral to the story of Fallout 2.

Knocking up the Bishops is in no way integral to any Fallout after 2, nor was the original Vault Dweller being male in any way integral to the story of Fallout 2.

You're confusing something that's necesary with something that's needed. The declaration of gender of Fallout 1's protagonist certainly wasn't needed, and officially there has never been any confirmation of the Chosen One's. The NPC in New Vegas means exactly nothing. What, you think they were the only wasteland wanderer out there?

Scott Clemmons

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:40 am

There's a difference between canonizing something because it would make a story more interesting, and canonizing something for no good reason. The good Shady Sands ending may have trampled over how some people played the game, but the existence of the NCR is actually meaningful. Making the Vault Dweller male because why not isn't.

No, how Bethesda handles canon is they either avoid canonizing anything at all, or canonize everything (their ridiculous solution to Daggerfall's multiple endings). I prefer a middle ground between their approach, and what you want.

Abel Vazquez

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:26 am

The saddest thing about Fallout 4 is that it's existence means TES must wait years upon years for a sequel.

It doesn't get more depressing than that...

Lori Joe

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Yours perhaps, not mine. Stories of what the Courier may or may not have done in the past that might just be scuttlebutt are in no way exclusive of any player type.

Knocking up the Bishops is. Obviously, if your Chosen One was male and did knock them up, then that's a nice little reference to your character, but if they were not, then someone else did it. It is never explicitly said that the father is specifically the Chosen One.

Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:50 pm

White knights don't tell you to [censored] of if you want to go into their base and have angry outcast that don't agree with allowing outsiders to join.

The BoS quests in NV even told you that they either open up or they die out.

jennie xhx

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:46 am

Colors and artstyle are a major concern for me but I am jacked that we may see the Brotherhood of Steel and their Air fleet.

Oh, and the ghouls look great.

Janeth Valenzuela Castelo

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:40 am

I do hope the Brotherhood of Steel is portrayed more correctly though. Not the White-knight heroes but the morally grey faction with their own interests and goals. I know it was explained in F3 that the DC chapter had differing views but still I like the true Brotherhood.

Literally my favorite faction in any game and definitely the Fallout series.

Charlotte Buckley

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:55 pm

Next Gen am hard,

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zbVcqIoqAcA/maxresdefault.jpg (MGS:PP)

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/87uId2y.jpg (Witcher 3)

http://i.minus.com/ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif (Witcher 3)

http://s6.postimg.org/53uixfwgx/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_These_animals_can_rip_yo.png (Witcher 3)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/MskSXO3Mx4c/maxresdefault.jpg (CoD..yeah CoD)

Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:54 am

It looks like the vaults are going to be the starting locations of Beths fallout games, like being a prisoner is for the elder scrolls start off. As for "War..War never changes.." Enough, let it die. It is right up there with an arrow to the knee. great at first, now it just brings nausea. I really wish bethesda would create some new and original content instead of rehashing what we already know. Like the difference between F1 and F2. We started off as a vault dweller in one and a tribesman in two. The games were very different, yet both were awesome. This though, feels like a rehash of F3. Also I agree with the poster above, let the war go, it has been 200 years already.

Vicki Gunn

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 am

:sad: I hope so, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

Andres Lechuga

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:30 am

Prisoner, it's always a Bethesda staple. :tongue:

john page

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 am

That would be either FO2 or NV. :fallout:

Tina Tupou

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 am

FO2 will forever be inferior for not letting me shoot up Arroyo.

Rachyroo

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:16 am

Even if the leak about there being a voiced protag turns out to be true, I doubt the "casting call" leak is also. At least in terms of the script.

Casting calls are often just [censored] written down for people to VA to see if they are right for the role. Most dialog doesn't get written until they know who they want voicing who, and what kind of personality that will bring to the character.

Soraya Davy

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4