Vikings

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 am

the war sled scene is embarrasing when the main character rides he's shield like a toboggan down the snow slopes, hunted by vikings using pimped kicksleds.

When will they ever make a good viking movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/ :goodjob:
Rob

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 am

You are joking right? Vikings never ruled Scotland, Wales or Ireland. They ruled Northern England for a short time before they were pushed out by the Saxons. The Vikings invaded Northern England years later ( and were defeated to a man at Stamford Bridge), at the same time that William the Conquer invaded from the south. It was the only way that they could defeat the Saxon Housecarls' shield wall. For the record, the Scots, or Picts, terrified the Vikings, and it is well known that the Vikings gave Scotland a wide berth.

Also, Saxon England was the most sophisticated country in Europe at the time, with its weaving, metal work, systems of common law, and taxes. This was the reason that William the Conquer and the Danes coveted the English throne so much.

Norwegian king Eirik Blod?ks ruled Northumbria for several years.

Danish king Svein Tjugeskjegg ruled entire England for 1 year, he was crowned king of England first christmas day in 1013.

Danish king Knut(Canute) den store ruled England from 1016 to 1035, with support from Norwegian Earl Eirik H?konsson who made the strategy and commands that made the conquering succsesful, he was made Earl of Northumbria.

Dublin was over many years dominated by both danish and norwegian rulers.
Norwegians established the first fortress there in 840, and Dublin was under danish and/or Norwegian rule untill 1014.
One of them, the Norwegian chieftain Torgils(Turgeis/Turgesius/Thorgeis) ruled from Dublin in 7 years, raided a lot of Ireland, and even worked to convert the irish people away from christianity and to the norse gods.

While northeast Scotland was highly influenced by Norwegians, since we also controlled the Orkneys, Shetlands, Faeroese, Iceland, Greenland, Hebrides and Isle of Man. Caithness in north-east scotland was under Norwegian control, by the earl of Orkneys, all up till 1266.

Yet, neither Ireland, Scotland or England was able to attack Norway not even one time, during the entire viking age.
Jack

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 am

I was hoping that they would took a liberty to surprise us and mixed it up a bit with other cultures, actually. A bit of the Huns on the west border, a dash of Cossack flavor to the south... etc.
Roy Harris

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:56 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/ :goodjob:

I have heard from several friends that this movie is a joke. :P

One thing you left out about the Vikings, they were also explorers. They where in North America long before Columbus and they colonized Iceland and Greenland long before any other power in Europe started "long-distance-colonisation". I have even heard tales about that there were a "white" native American tribe when the "first" colonist/pioneers arrived from Europe to America.

Oh yeah I forgot about that part, my bad.
Juliet

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 pm

I have heard from several friends that this movie is a joke. :P

Oh yeah I forgot about that part, my bad.

Yes, the movie is bad.

The only good one that at least comes a bit near being historical correct is Beowulf & Grendel.
Minako

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Yes, the movie is bad.

Yet it has a good visual if you are in to that :tongue:
Hella Beast

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am

Seeing as Nords are heavily based on old Dane culture

Seriously... I HOPE you are kidding
City Swagga

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

For those interested in vikings, I would suggest that they NOT play Viking: Battle for Asgard, a terrible action game that completely flattens viking culture.

Instead, watch Valhalla Rising. And the Thirteenth Warrior. And King Arthur.

And, in the future: Mel Gibson's viking epic, Game of Thrones

Sure, it wasn't very realistic, but Viking was a really fun game. He walks very slowly and it's repetitive, but the sieges are awesome and the graphics and design beautiful.

Are you kidding? First you're saying Viking flattens Viking culture, and recommending the 13th Warrior? It's just a bunch Hollywood actors in make-up with daily access to the hairstylist. Really lame movie.

Valhalla Rising is an incredibly tedious movie, I was about to fall asleep several times but managed to sit through. I really did expect it to be a real Viking movie, instead, we get like one hour sitting in the fog, the rest walking around in the forest. It's still kind of memorable, there's a beauty to it somehow.

The only somewhat realistic Viking movies are the old Icelandic Hrafn Flygur-films (one of them is starring Max von Sydow).

But I do agree Mel Gibson's upcoming movie will be great, now that Leonardo jumped off. He'll even try to reproduce ancient Norse!

Seriously... I HOPE you are kidding

I see you're Norwegian, so I take it you're thinking he says they're based on Danish culture? Well in fact, Viking culture pretty much equals Dane culture, since to other peoples, us in North Europe were referred to as "Danes", or "Norseman", and NONE of them is a nationality. It has nothing to do with modern Denmark.
Lifee Mccaslin

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/26/the-art-of-skyrim.aspx

From 02:40 in this video, the Art of Skyrim, you can see that the artist has books on vikings in his office (I noticed at least 2)
Robert

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 pm

what about the vikings in the movie pathfinder they were blood thristy savages who enjoyed looting and murder for fun

That movie was terrible, we shall never speak of it again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, while I'm here. Leiv Erikson (Norweigna viking) was the first recorded man to discover America, why are people still convinced it was Columbus? The guy wasn't even trying to find America, he just stumbled across it by accident.
Loane

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 pm

On the subject of Vikings in Great Britain, I'd just like to add that William the Conqueror was a Norman, or the French descendants of Viking invaders.

On the subject of Viking movies, I also liked 13th Warrior and Valhalla Rising. VR is very artsy though, not an edge of your seat movie, or one I could watch over and over again, but I would never call it bad. The 13th Warrior (minus some conspicuous costume design) is a great action movie, well written and acted, based on both legend (Beowulf) and history (Fadlan document)
Aaron Clark

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 pm

We'll be in the middle of a Civil war.

I'm sure that certain factions will not mind you pillaging a village on the opposite side.
Vickytoria Vasquez

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Danish king Svein Tjugeskjegg ruled entire England for 1 year, he was crowned king of England first christmas day in 1013.

Danish king Knut(Canute) den store ruled England from 1016 to 1035, with support from Norwegian Earl Eirik H?konsson who made the strategy and commands that made the conquering succsesful, he was made Earl of Northumbria.

Norwegians established the first fortress there in 840, and Dublin was under danish and/or Norwegian rule untill 1014.
One of them, the Norwegian chieftain Torgils(Turgeis/Turgesius/Thorgeis) ruled from Dublin in 7 years, raided a lot of Ireland, and even worked to convert the irish people away from christianity and to the norse gods.

While northeast Scotland was highly influenced by Norwegians, since we also controlled the Orkneys, Shetlands, Faeroese, Iceland, Greenland, Hebrides and Isle of Man. Caithness in north-east scotland was under Norwegian control, by the earl of Orkneys, all up till 1266.

Yet, neither Ireland, Scotland or England was able to attack Norway not even one time, during the entire viking age.
[/quote]

utmerket
Irmacuba

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am

On the subject of Vikings in Great Britain, I'd just like to add that William the Conqueror was a Norman, or the French descendants of Viking invaders.

On the subject of Viking movies, I also liked 13th Warrior and Valhalla Rising. VR is very artsy though, not an edge of your seat movie, or one I could watch over and over again, but I would never call it bad. The 13th Warrior (minus some conspicuous costume design) is a great action movie, well written and acted, based on both legend (Beowulf) and history (Fadlan document)

William the conqueror, or as we call him, Vilhelm, was decendant from earl Ragnvald ?ysteinsson M?rejarl. A Norwegian earl in north-west Norway, his son, Gange-Rolv (G?ngu-Hrólfr aka Hrólfr R?gnvaldsson), aka Rollo, was made duke of Normandy in 911, William is from his bloodline.

Normandy was also always a safe haven for Norwegians who had to flee, or was simply out travelling, because of the Norwegian influence there, as stated in the sagas.
Channing

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:15 am

Viking culture pretty much equals Dane culture, since to other peoples, us in North Europe were referred to as "Danes", or "Norseman", and NONE of them is a nationality. It has nothing to do with modern Denmark.

Yeah...the only thing that haven't changed is our drinking habits :foodndrink:
Alan Whiston

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:50 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/26/the-art-of-skyrim.aspx

From 02:40 in this video, the Art of Skyrim, you can see that the artist has books on vikings in his office (I noticed at least 2)

great spot, i wonder how deep they will go into the culture!
matt white

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:36 pm

That movie was terrible, we shall never speak of it again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, while I'm here. Leiv Erikson (Norweigna viking) was the first recorded man to discover America, why are people still convinced it was Columbus? The guy wasn't even trying to find America, he just stumbled across it by accident.

How can you discover a place thats already occupied?
Tom

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:30 am

We'll be in the middle of a Civil war.

I'm sure that certain factions will not mind you pillaging a village on the opposite side.

I do hope so, id much rather sack a village than collect fish scales or ectoplasm to get rich!
Lavender Brown

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

it was a discovery for europeans i guess
Jose ordaz

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 am

Columbus actually found America by accident too but it was central America.
Northern and Central America are very different, you know.

I still don't know why people consider Canute the "Great" as a viking at all.
He was Christian and he even went to Rome to "repent his sins".
Klaire

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 am

Vikings used spears. 'Nuff said.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:08 am

Vikings used spears. 'Nuff said.

And axes, swords, etc.
Myles

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:47 am

And axes, swords, etc.

But they also used SPEARS. That's what's important.
alicia hillier

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Columbus actually found America by accident too but it was central America.
Northern and Central America are very different, you know.

I still don't know why people consider Canute the "Great" as a viking at all.
He was Christian and he even went to Rome to "repent his sins".

Well, christianity did eventually take hold of the Vikings and became the norm. You either embraced Jesus or your head took a permanent leave of absence, unless you escaped to Iceland, and many did. Still, I wouldn't say christian beliefs exclude you from being a viking (They're not my beliefs, just to clarify), though the faith does tend to frown upon pillaging and taking liberties with local nuns.

Actually you raise an interesting point, once christianity became the norm, did the Norwegian people stop being vikings? Is raiding and pillaging even a prerequisite to hold that title? This thread gets more and more interesting with almost every post.
Neil

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 am

Okay I admit it, I was wrong. :foodndrink:
Tha King o Geekz

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim