Vikings

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I rather like how the so-called uncivilized Vikings were often criticized for bathing too often.

Once a week.

An excuse to include communal nord baths?...i think soooo :wink_smile:
Rachel Tyson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:46 am

If I am not mistaking,the word "Housecarl" is nordic and means "Man of the House"..
I believe it was the ROMANS that where afraid of the Picts, thats why they built both Hadrian's Wall and the Antonine Wall.

Romans did not fear the Picts , infact they beated everytime on field , it was just to reduce the need of a permanent army on field and use less soldiers , that costed a lot , to protect the civilians south from the Picts at north , plus they never went on a campaign of conquest further couse the land itself wasreally poor , with no resources and not interesting so the value of the land compared to the costs to conquer it was not economically reasonable ....
Soraya Davy

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 am

Seeing as Nords are heavily based on old Dane culture where Laws were primative and violence was an accepted, and people basically became vikings to get rich... im just wondering how far this might be taken in the game?

Personally Id love to become a viking and get rich by murdering everyone in a village then pillaging, punishing me some other way rather than being nagged by an all-knowing police-nord forcing me to go to jail to make me nice again......any thoughts?

On a side note im not trying to say all vikings/ similar cultures are bloodthirsty barbarians, more interested in how deeply that culture will be implimented in the game seeing as it is obviously influenced visually.

I have to say that this whole post is based on a misconception of the old nordic culture. First of all, it's not the Dane culture, but a pan nordic culture, as Norway and to a certain degree Sweden also was just as important to the spreading of the nordic culture as Denmark. Norway ruled the westward seas and Sweden spread the culture eastward. The Danes has mostly tried to take credit for Norwegian conquests.

When it comes to the old Nordic laws, they where certainly not primitive. Violence was not accepted, and to prevent blood feuds a murder had to be laid before the counsel of the regional chieftains, and they would decide if the murder would be killed or if paying a fine would be sufficient. And yes some people went viking, but it was certainly not as usual as popular culture has made it. But off course, as with the rest of medieval Europe the Nords was engaged in a lot of warfare, but they were a lot more civilized than what you seem to think.

And that's the problem. I would love to have Skyrim feel like the old Norwegian culture with longboats and fjords and mead and stuff, but if people like you and most modders get their way, Skyrim would not be nordic, it would be Hollywood Viking.

But I would love to go Viking also, but it should not be a main part of the culture, just a small aspect of it.
luis dejesus

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Romans did not fear the Picts , infact they beated everytime on field , it was just to reduce the need of a permanent army on field and use less soldiers , that costed a lot , to protect the civilians south from the Picts at north , plus they never went on a campaign of conquest further couse the land itself wasreally poor , with no resources and not interesting so the value of the land compared to the costs to conquer it was not economically reasonable ....

Not to mention that Hadrian believed that idle soldiers would cause mischief, so he had them build the wall to give them something to do.
OJY

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 am

I have to say that this whole post is based on a misconception of the old nordic culture. First of all, it's not the Dane culture, but a pan nordic culture, as Norway and to a certain degree Sweden also was just as important to the spreading of the nordic culture as Denmark. Norway ruled the westward seas and Sweden spread the culture eastward. The Danes has mostly tried to take credit for Norwegian conquests.

When it comes to the old Nordic laws, they where certainly not primitive. Violence was not accepted, and to prevent blood feuds a murder had to be laid before the counsel of the regional chieftains, and they would decide if the murder would be killed or if paying a fine would be sufficient. And yes some people went viking, but it was certainly not as usual as popular culture has made it. But off course, as with the rest of medieval Europe the Nords was engaged in a lot of warfare, but they were a lot more civilized than what you seem to think.

And that's the problem. I would love to have Skyrim feel like the old Norwegian culture with longboats and fjords and mead and stuff, but if people like you and most modders get their way, Skyrim would not be nordic, it would be Hollywood Viking.

But I would love to go Viking also, but it should not be a main part of the culture, just a small aspect of it.

Thanks for the post, tbh I dont know much about nordic culture, I just find 9th century dane involvment in englaland interesting (because of frequent raids on the english coast). From the looks of the art like horned helmets I think skyrim will definatly have a fantasy/'hollywood' viking influence, other wise it would become a norseman simulator.

Going Viking would never be a large aspect because skyrim is already homeland of nords whereas raids would probably have been against rivals or enemies im sure. But id like to raid without going infront of a judge though!
steve brewin

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:03 am

Real Vikings don't wear horn helmet though.
SamanthaLove

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:41 am

Who thinks bethesda should take the armor and weapons (great axe and throwing spears) from the vikings in deadliest warrior the game? don't respond unless you've actually seen it. Skyrim and throwing spears would go together well. throwing spears were in FO3 NV so not alot of work needs to be done to get it done

I've seen that game...I don't care how cheap it is, that game is disgracefull, how any developer can release something that broken and feel good about it beyond me, it's honestly depressing to see someone expect people to pay for what is essentially garbage. Not that the show is much better, the concept is awesome but the research and science behind it is utter [censored].

Anyway, I tend to rant on that particular game. Moving on...
Isaac Saetern

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 am

Christianity was not the end of the vikings, but their old culture and religion died slowly.
Olga Xx

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:10 am

I hope theres very little Viking influence in the game.
Cccurly

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Christianity was not the end of the vikings, but their old culture and religion died slowly.

I dont think they became soley christian did they?
mimi_lys

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim