[REL] Weapon Mod Kits (Thread 02)

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I was surprised no one else had used that approach yet. It seemed to me the obvious choice for adding additional functionallity to vanilla objects.

I do remember seeing a discussion a while back about using hidden perks to add extra options to the workbench without directly altering the workbench - but at the time I assumed that mods doing that would not be compatible with each other by default (I thought new menus would have to be explicitly made, with one of the buttons activating the vanilla workbench). I didn't understand how this approach worked, obviously. :)

I'm in the process of tweaking WMK to use this approach right now. Soon I'll see how it works alongside CRAFT.

Something I was wondering, you've been creating complete nif's for every possible combination. Wouldn't it have been easier to create a single .nif and just use MODS to assign the parts that you don't want to be visible a simply a fully transparent alpha map (and no others)? (You might need 2 .nif's, one with and one without silencer, I assume the place from where the projectile is fired is a specificly named node or such?)

You would still need the same number of records in the module (but I could probably write something for FO3Edit to auto generate them) but only one or 2 models per weapon, no matter how many attachments you have.

WMK v1.0 used unique nifs for each weapon variant. Digicjm suggested using one nif with all attachments in it and assigning the 'NullTextureSet' texture set to the piece/s I wanted to be invisible on a particular weapon variant - and that's what I do now. Doing this requires that the different parts be separate 'pieces' though - and since some of the nif files I used were not set up this way (like the scoped hunting rifle, for example), I didn't update some of the weapons to use the 'NullTextureSet' approach. You're right about needing a different nif for silenced variants, though. :)
Lifee Mccaslin

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm in the process of tweaking WMK to use this approach right now. Soon I'll see how it works alongside CRAFT.

And so we come full circle, I copied the quest to add hidden perks and uninstall quest from WMK when I made that Activation Perk plugin ;)

WMK v1.0 used unique nifs for each weapon variant. Digicjm suggested using one nif with all attachments in it and assigning the 'NullTextureSet' texture set to the piece/s I wanted to be invisible on a particular weapon variant - and that's what I do now. Doing this requires that the different parts be separate 'pieces' though - and since some of the nif files I used were not set up this way (like the scoped hunting rifle, for example), I didn't update some of the weapons to use the 'NullTextureSet' approach. You're right about needing a different nif for silenced variants, though. :)

Ah, I wasn't aware that you are already doing that. Great.

Well, if you ever think about adding some more weapons contact me and I can probably automate the creation of the 10000 WEAP and STAT records and adding them to the right FLSTs for you.
Robert Jackson

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am

Question: I use the Unofficial fallout 3 patch and a mod called better big guns. The Big guns one tightens the bullet spread and increases damage of said guns, so will this conflict with it or can I just mod your mod with the appropriate changes?

Also, does this mod effect named 'special' weapons in any way?
SWagg KId

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 am

And so we come full circle, I copied the quest to add hidden perks and uninstall quest from WMK when I made that Activation Perk plugin ;)

Heh - cool.

Well, if you ever think about adding some more weapons contact me and I can probably automate the creation of the 10000 WEAP and STAT records and adding them to the right FLSTs for you.

Thanks for the offer: that sounds like it could be very useful - and I am planning to implement more weapons soon (in an optional add-on esp, since it will probably be dependent on FOOK for the sake of simplicity; at least at first). Since it's planned as an add-on esp, I was intending to add the new weapon entries to the ordered formlists via script, to allow compatibility with other add-on esps that also add new weapons (assuming they use the same approach). This is something I haven't tested yet, and it could be that being able to merge formlists in FO3Edit may make it unnecessary. How does/will this work? And will it work with ordered formlists?

Question: I use the Unofficial fallout 3 patch and a mod called better big guns. The Big guns one tightens the bullet spread and increases damage of said guns, so will this conflict with it or can I just mod your mod with the appropriate changes?

Also, does this mod effect named 'special' weapons in any way?

This information is all in the WMK readme, but in short: it shouldn't explicitly conflict with a mod like that, but you would need to alter the modified weapon variants in WMK to reflect the changed stats in that other mod. If you're doing this for personal use then you can do whatever you like, of course - but if it's something you'd want to release, it would have to be in the form of an add-on esp, rather than an altered version of the main WMK esp.

Unique weapons can be modified in the same way as non-unique weapons.
Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 am

Ah, I wasn't aware that you are already doing that. Great.

Would such a device be usable by other modders without fiddling with WMK scripts? If a method could be devised, WMK could be a basis for a lot of weapon mods that could be WMK-able. I got one I've been sitting on that makes laser weapons have a grade where vanilla guns are "wasteland" variants (with even more worn out look), the BoS and Outcast get "Refurbished" weapons witht he vanilla texture and slightly better stats, and the Enclave have http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9990/laserback.jpg. Been reluctant to release because of WMK clash issues. :(

If it takes effort to merge, then perhaps there could be the condition that the applying weapon modder would have to make all the weapon meshes. ;)

Regardless of what happens with that, I recommend adding all the energy weapons to the FLST "ExplodesGasTrapsOnHit", so that they cook off gas leak traps properly now that ElminsterEU has implemented easy FLST merging.
Lucky Boy

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 am

@Antistar: It would just be for me only. I like to integrate my favorite mods so I don't have to keep track of a thousand .ESP's :)
danni Marchant

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for the offer: that sounds like it could be very useful - and I am planning to implement more weapons soon (in an optional add-on esp, since it will probably be dependent on FOOK for the sake of simplicity; at least at first). Since it's planned as an add-on esp, I was intending to add the new weapon entries to the ordered formlists via script, to allow compatibility with other add-on esps that also add new weapons (assuming they use the same approach). This is something I haven't tested yet, and it could be that being able to merge formlists in FO3Edit may make it unnecessary. How does/will this work? And will it work with ordered formlists?

The exact merging algorithm that's being used is described http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=915003&view=findpost&p=14027492. If you look closely you'll see "sorting" mentioned in some places. which is exactly why I need to distinguish between FLSTs that are Sets and Ordered Lists. Without sorting I can't merge in the fashion I do. Which is why I don't touch ordered form lists.

Now, as long as the modification of an ordered list the simple addition of new elements at the end, no reordering or removing of existing entries, I could easily merge that too. Which I think is exactly what you need.

Personally I would highly prefer using module merging over script adding because this makes it possible for someone to SEE how everything works together in FO3Edit. Any additions to lists in scripts are hidden away inside the game engine and any problems are extremely difficult to debug. (At least as long as no one fully decodes the savegame format and writes and editor/viewer for that, which till now hasn't even happened for TES4, much less FO3).

As for automating the creation of all these required records, the best would be if you could provide me with an example .esp that includes basically a single new weapon with all the changed and added records involved in that. Based on that template I can then probably write some code which automates the creation of all the required records and adding them to all required form lists.
Hilm Music

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 am

Would such a device be usable by other modders without fiddling with WMK scripts? If a method could be devised, WMK could be a basis for a lot of weapon mods that could be WMK-able. I got one I've been sitting on that makes laser weapons have a grade where vanilla guns are "wasteland" variants (with even more worn out look), the BoS and Outcast get "Refurbished" weapons witht he vanilla texture and slightly better stats, and the Enclave have http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9990/laserback.jpg. Been reluctant to release because of WMK clash issues. :(

It is my understanding (which may be wrong) that there is no need to edit any WMK scripts for adding new weapons (new types of attachments would take a lot of work though). It is all done by pairs of Form Lists which define, for attachment x, if you have "this" get "that". So once all the required WEAP records have been created for all the variants, adding them just involves adding new entries to to these sorted form lists.

Once I've implemented the limited merging for sorted lists there should be no problem creating additional plugins which extend WMK.
Angela

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:50 am

I don't envy you for having to make a patch for FOOK. I tried making the spread and damage and such more in line with FOOK but just lost it after like the 3rd weapon. (counting all the variants for them)
Nathan Maughan

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:31 am

I've just looked through the WMK.esp a bit and I noticed that in many cases the index number of the same part is different between the SI and no-SI versions of the model. It would make auto generation of the records a lot easier if that wasn't the case. So for new models, if at all possible, the SI part should be last in the list so that it doesn't change the index number of the other parts.
alicia hillier

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 am

Regardless of what happens with that, I recommend adding all the energy weapons to the FLST "ExplodesGasTrapsOnHit", so that they cook off gas leak traps properly now that ElminsterEU has implemented easy FLST merging.

That's a good idea - I wasn't aware of that list.

The exact merging algorithm that's being used is described http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=915003&view=findpost&p=14027492. If you look closely you'll see "sorting" mentioned in some places. which is exactly why I need to distinguish between FLSTs that are Sets and Ordered Lists. Without sorting I can't merge in the fashion I do. Which is why I don't touch ordered form lists.

Now, as long as the modification of an ordered list the simple addition of new elements at the end, no reordering or removing of existing entries, I could easily merge that too. Which I think is exactly what you need.

Personally I would highly prefer using module merging over script adding because this makes it possible for someone to SEE how everything works together in FO3Edit. Any additions to lists in scripts are hidden away inside the game engine and any problems are extremely difficult to debug. (At least as long as no one fully decodes the savegame format and writes and editor/viewer for that, which till now hasn't even happened for TES4, much less FO3).

As for automating the creation of all these required records, the best would be if you could provide me with an example .esp that includes basically a single new weapon with all the changed and added records involved in that. Based on that template I can then probably write some code which automates the creation of all the required records and adding them to all required form lists.

I've had a couple of looks at that description, and so far it's pretty much gone over my head. I might have another go later on at bullying my brain into comprehension. ;)

Merging things into the ordered lists in WMK by adding them onto the end sounds perfect - as long as the index numbers match up in the 'paired' lists, of course. I guess if it adds all the new entries from one add-on esp to the lists before going on to any other add-on esps? Like I said, I don't fully understand how it works/is planned to work yet.

Module merging sounds better to me too - for the reasons you describe. I was considering the scripted approach because - well, firstly because I wasn't aware of a 'Bashed-patch-esque' approach being in the works - but also out of concern for the 'average' user. For people who know a bit more about this sort of thing, module merging would probably be better - but if it worked, the script approach would just be 'plug and play'. That's the thing though: 'if it worked' - it does seem more prone to error.

You mentioned you were having a look around in the WMK esp - do you still want a stripped-down example esp? I'd pretty much be ripping stuff out of the WMK esp to achieve that. Also, a couple of things you probably already noticed, but anyway: There isn't a single example of a weapon with all the mod kits applicable to it. There are five mod kits, but I don't go above four mod kits for any one weapon. There are also examples of weapon that can only have one, two or three kits applied to them.

With this automation process, were you thinking it would also calculate and make the appropriate changes to stats for the weapon variants? Eg: double clip capacity for extended magazines, spread reduced by 33% for laser sights, durability and value increased by 25% for each mod applied to the weapon, etc?

I've just looked through the WMK.esp a bit and I noticed that in many cases the index number of the same part is different between the SI and no-SI versions of the model. It would make auto generation of the records a lot easier if that wasn't the case. So for new models, if at all possible, the SI part should be last in the list so that it doesn't change the index number of the other parts.

I'll admit to not being a complete guru at Nifskope: I don't actually know how to affect what index number a particular part gets in the GECK/FO3Edit. It might be out of my control to some extent, if it depends on the internal structure of the nif file (if, say, the silencer has to be 'attached' to an animated section of the weapon, that might affect the index number it gets). Or it might not - it might be very simple, and I simply haven't come across how to do it. So were you thinking of automating the assigning of 'NullTextureSet' to parts that need to be invisible on a particular weapon?

Edit: Oh yeah - an update on how the... update is coming along, for anyone who's interested: The activation perk works perfectly - both by itself and alongside CRAFT - thanks again for the info on that, ElminsterEU. The custom workbenches are now all gone. I added 'OrderedList' to the end of the formlists that need it, and updated the main script accordingly. Now I'm making some mesh fixes to the laser rifle and laser pistol suggested by MadCat221 (to reflect what's in the unofficial FO3 patch), and I'll also add the appropriate weapons to that 'ExplodesGasTrapsOnHit' list. Maybe I should also add the modified weapons that do fire damage to the 'PerkPyromaniacWeapons' and 'MS10SetHaroldOnFireWeaponsList' lists while I'm at it...
Cesar Gomez

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 am

I noticed something about the scope when used with laser weapons. The beam comes from the right but the hit is scored on the bottom of the crosshair. Is that normal?

For the pistol is on the right while with the rifle it's on the bottom-right.
Damian Parsons

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:17 pm

You might think of using the customized draw/holster SFX that I have in the Plasma Rifle Awesomefied pack as well. Gives an extra little reminder that you have the highest class weapon in the energy weapons category. :)
Darren Chandler

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:39 am

You might think of using the customized draw/holster SFX that I have in the Plasma Rifle Awesomefied pack as well. Gives an extra little reminder that you have the highest class weapon in the energy weapons category. :)

I have that mod installed aswell. I haven't got a plasma weapon yet to test it. I was thinking about making that suggestion too. Great minds think alike I suppose.... :P

Also, a fully moded Laser rifle..... :bowdown:
How high should I build your golden statue my king?
maddison

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Merging things into the ordered lists in WMK by adding them onto the end sounds perfect - as long as the index numbers match up in the 'paired' lists, of course. I guess if it adds all the new entries from one add-on esp to the lists before going on to any other add-on esps? Like I said, I don't fully understand how it works/is planned to work yet.

The (not yet implemented but planed) merging for Sorted lists would add the new entries at the end to the merged list. As long as the paired lists in the plugin are matched up correctly the merged version will be correctly matched up too.

Module merging sounds better to me too - for the reasons you describe. I was considering the scripted approach because - well, firstly because I wasn't aware of a 'Bashed-patch-esque' approach being in the works - but also out of concern for the 'average' user. For people who know a bit more about this sort of thing, module merging would probably be better - but if it worked, the script approach would just be 'plug and play'. That's the thing though: 'if it worked' - it does seem more prone to error.
There are so many potential problems with combining multiple mods that anyone who wants to get serious about it HAS to go beyond the "plug'n'pray" phase. Using scripts wouldn't change that, it would just make it impossible for anyone to actually observe what's happening and fix it...

You mentioned you were having a look around in the WMK esp - do you still want a stripped-down example esp?
While it might make things more clear to me, I'll probably manage without.

Also, a couple of things you probably already noticed, but anyway: There isn't a single example of a weapon with all the mod kits applicable to it. There are five mod kits, but I don't go above four mod kits for any one weapon. There are also examples of weapon that can only have one, two or three kits applied to them.
Is that limitation from the meshes in the meshes or because auf the number of records you would have had to create? (If it's the records, the automated generation of them might take care of that).

With this automation process, were you thinking it would also calculate and make the appropriate changes to stats for the weapon variants? Eg: double clip capacity for extended magazines, spread reduced by 33% for laser sights, durability and value increased by 25% for each mod applied to the weapon, etc?
Yes, you will be able to specify rules (both a multiplier and/or a negative/positive offset for any of the numeric values in the weapon record for each possible addon.

The way I'm currently planing to do this is that you define a "template" record which represents the weapon with all addons visible, but all stats representing the non-addon version. Based on that plus some weapon specific information it will then generate all possible combinations of all addons that you specified.

I'll admit to not being a complete guru at Nifskope: I don't actually know how to affect what index number a particular part gets in the GECK/FO3Edit. It might be out of my control to some extent, if it depends on the internal structure of the nif file (if, say, the silencer has to be 'attached' to an animated section of the weapon, that might affect the index number it gets). Or it might not - it might be very simple, and I simply haven't come across how to do it. So were you thinking of automating the assigning of 'NullTextureSet' to parts that need to be invisible on a particular weapon?

It is my understanding that the 3d index is simply based on assigning each NiTriStrips a number, starting from 0, in the order in which they appear in the block list treeview in nif scope. e.g. if you look at 10mmpistolecls.nif and 10mmpistoleclssi.nif you can see that the NiTriStrips for the silencer has been added right on top (giving it the indes 0 and pushing all others down). I beleive that you can simply select that node an use Ctrl+Down to move it further down until it is all the way at the end. This will leave the 3d index of the other nodes unchanged. (important 3d index is not the same as the node numbers that nifskope shows).

And yes, sure, I plan to automatically generate the assignment of the NullTextureSets. For each addon you should be able to specify 2 lists of parts, one that should be hidden for all versions with this addon and one that should be hidden for all versions without this addon.

The goal is that no manual steps are required once you've defined the template record(s) and specified the rules.

Edit: Oh yeah - an update on how the... update is coming along, for anyone who's interested: The activation perk works perfectly - both by itself and alongside CRAFT - thanks again for the info on that, ElminsterEU. The custom workbenches are now all gone. I added 'OrderedList' to the end of the formlists that need it, and updated the main script accordingly.

Great.
Alexis Estrada

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 am

WMK v1.1.3 is available now. :) Here's the changelog:

Version 1.1.3 (29-03-09)
- Weapons can now be modified at standard workbenches (the player is given the choice to modify weapons or use the workbench normally). This was done without directly editing the workbench activator or its script, so it should be compatible with all mods that change or add to the workbench (unless the mod in question changes the workbench EditorID or physically replaces them in the game world with another object).
- The custom WMK workbenches were removed, as they are no longer needed.
- Removed all changes made to cells to facilitate the custom WMK workbenches.
- Moved hand-placed Mod Kits that were found on custom WMK workbenches to somewhere very near where they were found previously. Did not remove any of them.
- Mesh fixes for the Laser Pistol and Laser Rifle.
- Modified versions of weapons that do fire damage are now affected by the Pyromaniac perk.
- The relevant modified weapons should now ignite gas traps as their unmodified versions do.
- Modified versions of weapons that do fire damage can now be used in the... 'fire-based solution' to a particular side-quest.
- Updated note summarising the mod to reflect change from using WMK workbenches to standard workbenches.

I noticed something about the scope when used with laser weapons. The beam comes from the right but the hit is scored on the bottom of the crosshair. Is that normal?

For the pistol is on the right while with the rifle it's on the bottom-right.

I had a look and I get that too - I didn't change anything that would have an effect on where the laser weapon projectiles go, though (unless you count the increased range you get with scopes attached). I imagine those projectiles were not designed to be viewed through a scope.

I try to keep things simple - that sound is something people can get from your mod. :)

There are so many potential problems with combining multiple mods that anyone who wants to get serious about it HAS to go beyond the "plug'n'pray" phase. Using scripts wouldn't change that, it would just make it impossible for anyone to actually observe what's happening and fix it...

Now that we're getting automated merged patch generation, I'm much more inclined to rely on that rather than using a scripted approach, definitely.

Is that limitation from the meshes in the meshes or because auf the number of records you would have had to create? (If it's the records, the automated generation of them might take care of that).

It's more because of the number of records required, yes. It's good to know that an automated process would be available to get around that, but I'd likely still stick to a max of four mod kits per weapon - going from sixteen variants for four mod kits to sixty-four variants for five mod kits is a big jump. ;) Also just to keep things consistent with the rest of the weapons so far.

Yes, you will be able to specify rules (both a multiplier and/or a negative/positive offset for any of the numeric values in the weapon record for each possible addon.

The way I'm currently planing to do this is that you define a "template" record which represents the weapon with all addons visible, but all stats representing the non-addon version. Based on that plus some weapon specific information it will then generate all possible combinations of all addons that you specified.

Sounds great. :)

It is my understanding that the 3d index is simply based on assigning each NiTriStrips a number, starting from 0, in the order in which they appear in the block list treeview in nif scope. e.g. if you look at 10mmpistolecls.nif and 10mmpistoleclssi.nif you can see that the NiTriStrips for the silencer has been added right on top (giving it the indes 0 and pushing all others down). I beleive that you can simply select that node an use Ctrl+Down to move it further down until it is all the way at the end. This will leave the 3d index of the other nodes unchanged. (important 3d index is not the same as the node numbers that nifskope shows).

Ah - I've always been wary about fiddling with things in Nifskope that I thought I didn't explicitly need to, so I haven't experimented with that.

And yes, sure, I plan to automatically generate the assignment of the NullTextureSets. For each addon you should be able to specify 2 lists of parts, one that should be hidden for all versions with this addon and one that should be hidden for all versions without this addon.

The goal is that no manual steps are required once you've defined the template record(s) and specified the rules.

This sounds great too. I suppose this step would basically involve assigning the appropriate texture sets to things? So at the same time as assigning 'NullTextureSet' to particular parts, you would also assign the '1stperson*' texture sets to parts that need it (if applicable)?
Naomi Ward

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:59 am

Not quite on the sound: it's a new sound object, and needs to be assigned to the plasma rifle. The plasma rifle just uses the generic rifle equip sound.
Rachie Stout

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

It's more because of the number of records required, yes. It's good to know that an automated process would be available to get around that, but I'd likely still stick to a max of four mod kits per weapon - going from sixteen variants for four mod kits to sixty-four variants for five mod kits is a big jump. ;) Also just to keep things consistent with the rest of the weapons so far.

Well, my code certainly doesn't care if it creates 16, 64 or a million records...

This sounds great too. I suppose this step would basically involve assigning the appropriate texture sets to things? So at the same time as assigning 'NullTextureSet' to particular parts, you would also assign the '1stperson*' texture sets to parts that need it (if applicable)?

My approach currently is the following:

Generally there is:

FO3EditAddOnsOrderedList - a FLST which needs to reference 3 FLSTs, the first one must contain MISC records (the possible weapon kits), the 2nd and 3rd must contain a list of FLSTs containing WEAPs that define the from/to mapping.

For each MISC record in the first list there must be BOOK record with an EditorID of 'FO3EditAddOns' + EditorID + 'Config'. The DESC of these books then contains things like:

FO3EditAddOnsWMKmodkitautofireConfig
NAME AFCHANGE WEAP BEGIN  MODIFY "DATA/Value" OFFSET 80  MODIFY "DATA/Health" OFFSET 60    SET "DATA/Animation Type" TO "Rifle - Automatic (2 Hand)"  SET "DATA/Attack Animation" TO "Attack Loop"  INCLUDE "DNAM/Flags 1" "Is Automatic"  MODIFY "DATA/Min Spread" OFFSET 0.25  MODIFY "DATA/Spread" FACTOR 2END CHANGE WEAP

FO3EditAddOnsWMKmodkitsilencerConfig
NAME SICHANGE WEAP BEGIN  MODELSUFFIX si  MODIFY "DATA/Value" OFFSET 80  MODIFY "DATA/Health" OFFSET 60    MAP FORMID "SNAM" FROM "WeaponModKits.esp:xxxxxx" TO "WeaponModKits.esp:xxxxxx"  MAP FORMID "XNAM" FROM "WeaponModKits.esp:xxxxxx" TO "WeaponModKits.esp:xxxxxx"  MODIFY "DATA/Base Damage" FACTOR 0.9  MODIFY "CRDT/Critical Damage" FACTOR 0.9  SET "VNAM" TO "Silent"  MODIFY "DATA/Override - Action Points" FACTOR 1.05END CHANGE WEAPCHANGE PROJ BEGIN  MODIFY "DATA/Speed" FACTOR 0.9  SET "DATA/Muzzle Flash - Light" TO NULL  MODIFY "DATA/Speed" FACTOR 0.9  MODIFY "DATA/Range" FACTOR 0.8  MODIFY "DATA/Impact Force" FACTOR 0.33333333333333333333  SET "VNAM" TO "Silent"  MAP STRING "Muzzle Flash Model\NAM1" USING "WeaponModKits.esp:xxxxxx"  REMOVE "Muzzle Flash Model\NAM2"END CHANGE PROJ

For a new weapon you need the following records:
WMKNewWeaponTEMPLATE (WEAP)
WMKNewWeapon1stPersonTEMPLATE (STAT)
FO3EditWMKNewWeaponConfig (BOOK)

The weapon record must have the base stats that represent no weapon kits installed. It also must have all parts of the weapon visible (with appropriate MODS defined if needed). The STAT must also include all MODS entries to make all parts of the weapon visible.

The BOOK record holds config information that specifies what types of addons apply to this weapon and for each addon 2 lists of parts, the ones to hide when the addon is applied and the ones to hide when the addon is not applied. I'm still working on the exact syntax for that one.

Armed with this information the automated process is then able to create new WEAP, STAT and PROJ records. With the appropriate MODS entries set to NullTextureSet for both the WEAP and the STAT records.
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I did a bit of research... Apparently on the GECK wiki, according to the http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Weapons, the "Spread" value is unused. Min spread only does something when the spread value is decreased beneath that value (in which case min spead is used instead). Indeed, the spread value figures nowhere in the http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Gun_Spread_Settings. The notation that Spread is not used traces all the way back to the original version made by Brian Nesmith (a gamesas dev).

Instead of having the hidden Laser Sight/Auto Fire perks use VATS to hit chance mods, it should instead use the Calculate Gun Spread entry point and have a < 1 multiplier for laser sighted weapons, and a > 1 spread mult for autofire guns (or addition/subtraction of values...). Since VATS already uses gun spread in its calculations, the use of the VATS to-hit chance entry point is redundant (and useless anyway due to the v1.1 VATS bug).

I just tried altering it myself to use that instead. It crashed the GECK on me when I hit "OK" unless I removed the weapon list condition before changing the entry point... just FYI on that. :brokencomputer: Easy enough to add the list back in anyway after the entry point change.
Sammygirl500

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Not quite on the sound: it's a new sound object, and needs to be assigned to the plasma rifle. The plasma rifle just uses the generic rifle equip sound.

Ah, right. I didn't look closely enough at that, obviously - I thought it was a straight replacer. It's slightly outside the scope of what WMK is intended to do, but I'll keep it in mind for a future update - and thanks for the offer. :)

My approach currently is the following:

(snip)

That continues to sound great - and as a bonus, also like something I'll be able to understand. This might be obvious, but I'm much more of a designer-type than I am a scripter/coder type - so when I can understand things like this, it is a Good Thing. ;)

Thanks for doing all this. :)

Edit:
I did a bit of research... Apparently on the GECK wiki, according to the http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Weapons, the "Spread" value is unused. Min spread only does something when the spread value is decreased beneath that value (in which case min spead is used instead). Indeed, the spread value figures nowhere in the http://geck.gamesas.com/index.php/Gun_Spread_Settings. The notation that Spread is not used traces all the way back to the original version made by Brian Nesmith (a gamesas dev).

Instead of having the hidden Laser Sight/Auto Fire perks use VATS to hit chance mods, it should instead use the Calculate Gun Spread entry point and have a < 1 multiplier for laser sighted weapons, and a > 1 spread mult for autofire guns (or addition/subtraction of values...). Since VATS already uses gun spread in its calculations, the use of the VATS to-hit chance entry point is redundant (and useless anyway due to the v1.1 VATS bug).

I just tried altering it myself to use that instead. It crashed the GECK on me when I hit "OK" unless I removed the weapon list condition before changing the entry point... just FYI on that. :brokencomputer: Easy enough to add the list back in anyway after the entry point change.

That sounds sensible, and like it would kill a few birds with one stone - thanks for the info. According to that Gun Spread Formula page, it sounds like laser sights in WMK currently reduce the minimum spread that you can achieve with a weapon - rather than just reducing spread with the weapon generally.

Strange that the Spread value is not used, though - the default weapons all have different values assigned for it...
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 pm

That sounds sensible, and like it would kill a few birds with one stone - thanks for the info. According to that Gun Spread Formula page, it sounds like laser sights in WMK currently reduce the minimum spread that you can achieve with a weapon - rather than just reducing spread with the weapon generally.

Strange that the Spread value is not used, though - the default weapons all have different values assigned for it...

I think Spread may have been used but then abandoned in place.

EDIT: A little correction... Bruce Nesmith, not Brian. :embarrass:
Zach Hunter

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 pm

I can't use the updated version.

When I select the workbench and click "Weapon Modification," I get the standard screen, but none of my weapons show up in the list. I have the latest FOSE and I don't use GFW Live (GFWL svcks anyway).
I'm also carrying guns that I had modded prior to this and they still don't show up.

Help

Thanks
Enny Labinjo

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 am

I can't use the updated version.

When I select the workbench and click "Weapon Modification," I get the standard screen, but none of my weapons show up in the list. I have the latest FOSE and I don't use GFW Live (GFWL svcks anyway).
I'm also carrying guns that I had modded prior to this and they still don't show up.

Help

Thanks

For all versions later than v1.0, you don't get a menu of weapons to choose from when modifying weapons: it acts on your currently equipped weapon. Have you used FOSE before? It's just you need to be sure you're running the game via the FOSE launcher.

Edit: Almost at the post limit, so here's REL thread 03: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=973045
sally coker

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Okay, I wasn't sure about whether or not it was working or not, because my 10MM pistol (AF, EC) wasn't really spreading around a lot. So I altered the auto fire spread multiplier to 20. My char waved that thing around as if she http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9446/calcspreadworks.jpg http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3924/calcspreadworks2.jpg http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/377/calcspreadworks3.jpg. So you may need to exaggerate a bit more than 1.5x for the AF multiplier, but probably not 20x (but you can for testing just to see that it works. ;) :lmao: )
remi lasisi

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 am

last post is mine for the taking
Red Bevinz

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3