What year was Vivec City estalished?

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm

He he I see :) I love your work on the Post-Crisis anolysis. :) It has been a great source of inspiration for me to try and [INSERT WORD] to the forums.
lolli

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm

And all because Vivec was too damn righteous to tell Nerevarine how to become a god. That wouldve changed things:

Vivec: Hm, they dont love me enough. Go forth, Rock, and crush.
Nerevarine: *stops Rock* How about no?

At the rock's velocity, by the time the Nerevarine stopped the rock, it would have already smashed the Temple Complex.
Danii Brown

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 pm

At the rock's velocity, by the time the Nerevarine stopped the rock, it would have already smashed the Temple Complex.

For the Gods, nothin is impossible. Or, hell, the Godly Nervarine couldve thrown the rock to somewhere else in teh first place....

...preferably the Imperial City...
Tarka

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:35 am

I don't worry about the rock. It'll smash the Temple Complex and that's that.

Although I feel sorry for the Ordinators that are in the rock when it falls.
barbara belmonte

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:44 am

I don't worry about the rock. It'll smash the Temple Complex and that's that.

Although I feel sorry for the Ordinators that are in the rock when it falls.

No, it ahs been repeatedly stated that the Comet has retained its momentum, which apparently was insanely high. Small matter, but very high impact velocity = Landfall which will force large parts of the population of Morrowind (not just Vivec) underground. (See [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/5th_era_loveletter.shtml]the Loveletter[/url)
naomi

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 pm

No, it ahs been repeatedly stated that the Comet has retained its momentum, which apparently was insanely high. Small matter, but very high impact velocity = Landfall which will force large parts of the population of Morrowind (not just Vivec) underground. (See [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/5th_era_loveletter.shtml]the Loveletter[/url)

The loveletter isn't canon. And it would have the velocity of a moon, not a comet. Comets are a lot faster.
Ash

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:21 pm

The Loveletter is canon for the purposes of the lore forum.

You do realsie that there is no difference in size between comets and moons, just a difference in lcoation? Quite many moons in the (RL) Solar System are "captured" comets. So your comment is silly. And anyways it would have the velocity of any object thrown by a daedric prince, that is any friggen velocity that prince wants it to be, comet, moon, planet, star or whatever. And from teh consequences in the Loveletter (as said, canon here), we can deduct this velocity must be quite insanely high.
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:45 pm

The Loveletter is canon for the purposes of the lore forum.

You do realsie that there is no difference in size between comets and moons, just a difference in lcoation? Quite many moons in the (RL) Solar System are "captured" comets. So your comment is silly. And anyways it would have the velocity of any object thrown by a daedric prince, that is any friggen velocity that prince wants it to be, comet, moon, planet, star or whatever. And from teh consequences in the Loveletter (as said, canon here), we can deduct this velocity must be quite insanely high.

Most moons are much larger than comets. And I fail to see how unofficial lore can be anything more than the fanon of a former Bethesda worker. And its not like it could be worse than that eruption that resulted in a year of darkness.

No offense to MK of course; I'm just skeptical of what is and what isn't. If it gets adopted, I'll accept it.
Lindsay Dunn

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Whoops, I meant to edit my reply, sorry.
Bek Rideout

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Most moons are much larger than comets. And I fail to see how unofficial lore can be anything more than the fanon of a former Bethesda worker. And its not like it could be worse than that eruption that resulted in a year of darkness.

No offense to MK of course; I'm just skeptical of what is and what isn't. If it gets adopted, I'll accept it.

"When Nerevar returned, he saw the frozen comet above his lord's city. He asked whether or not Vivec wanted it removed.
'I would have done so myself if I wanted, silly Hortator. I shall keep it there with its last intention intact, so that if the love of the people of this city for me ever disappear, so shall the power that holds back their destruction.'"

- http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/lessons.shtml#33

Official enough for you? That piece of work has been around for quite some years now. It's open enough for every Dunmer (or non-Dunmer) who has seen the Ministry of Truth, made the pilgrimage of the Seven Graces and at least read a bit in the Sermons.

Vehk's Teachings and the Loveletter are in much of their content extensions and explanations to things already described in the Sermons. The loveletter explicitly explains Sermon 35, for example and some passages from Vehk's teachings explain on the wheel structure of the world as described in Sermon 21. It's a thing that would be called "secondary literature" in other places.
Bellismydesi

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 pm

"When Nerevar returned, he saw the frozen comet above his lord's city. He asked whether or not Vivec wanted it removed.
'I would have done so myself if I wanted, silly Hortator. I shall keep it there with its last intention intact, so that if the love of the people of this city for me ever disappear, so shall the power that holds back their destruction.'"

- http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/lessons.shtml#33

Official enough for you? That piece of work has been around for quite some years now. It's open enough for every Dunmer (or non-Dunmer) who has seen the Ministry of Truth, made the pilgrimage of the Seven Graces and at least read a bit in the Sermons.

Vehk's Teachings and the Loveletter are in much of their content extensions and explanations to things already described in the Sermons. The loveletter explicitly explains Sermon 35, for example and some passages from Vehk's teachings explain on the wheel structure of the world as described in Sermon 21. It's a thing that would be called "secondary literature" in other places.

In the Sermon, it was frozen. There isn't any official sources that says that it crashes down eventually. But we should get back on-topic; the city has been around for a long time.
Timara White

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:25 am

In the Sermon, it was frozen. There isn't any official sources that says that it crashes down eventually. But we should get back on-topic; the city has been around for a long time.

Translation from Vehkish to english:

"I halted the big rock. I made it so that the intention of hitting the city remains. If the people of Vivec don't love me anymore, that which keeps the status quo will go away and things will go boom. The only thing left open is when this happens, not if it happens."

The ending of the words is "Love Vehk or eat rock". Or at least listen to him.
Stay-C

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14 pm

"I halted the big rock. I made it so that the intention of hitting the city remains. If the people of Vivec don't love me anymore, that which keeps the status quo will go away and things will go boom. The only thing left open is when this happens, not if it happens."

True, it's known that the rock has the potential to fall, and ultimately will, but I think Crimson Paladin was addressing the fact that there hasn't been any word that it has happened. (From Oblivion, anyway)

The fact that Vehk is missing as far as we know makes the whole thing bit more uncertain.
Reven Lord

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:23 am

True, it's known that the rock has the potential to fall, and ultimately will, but I think Crimson Paladin was addressing the fact that there hasn't been any word that it has happened. (From Oblivion, anyway)

The fact that Vehk is missing as far as we know makes the whole thing bit more uncertain.

That's because it won't happen for a while yet. The Loveletter is from the 5th era... and we are just entering the fourth (if Ocato has his way). V'vehk only disappeared very recently. It will be some time before the people's love for him diminishes to the point of *Boom goes Lie Rock*.
asako

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 pm

I will admit that if Bethesda ever gets to the 5th era, the Loveletter will probably be made canon.
Lily Evans

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Short answer: Vivec City has been around since before time began. The dragon break that occured after his apotheosis installed his godhood since before the beginning of time, I believe you could make the arguement that his city has always existed. Oh yeah, and the cartographer that created the map during the early years of Uriel's reign (Arena) held a real grudge against the ole land god and left his city off the map!

.......uhhhhhhh IMHO, all conjecture and speculation. But this is the lore forum, we welcome this stuff!!!
Alyna

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Wait, the sermons said that Nerevar saw the big Rock, but by that time, Vivec was a god and Nerevar was dead (for the time being). The city was built after Vivec became a god and before Sheogorath sent the moon to smash the city.

On a side note, Sheogorath seemed to like Morrowind. He was angry when worship of him in Morrowind was banned (and we all know how he reacted), and he put giant mushrooms in his own realm.
Angela Woods

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 am

I've heard some strange stuff about Baar Dau, ministry of truth... What is it really, as in, it's origins?...
Matt Bee

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm

I've heard some strange stuff about Baar Dan, ministry of truth... What is it really, as in, it's origins?...

http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/lessons.shtml#33:
    Lie Rock was born of Vivec's Second Aperture and was thrown out of the Pomegranate Banquet by a member of the Sweeps, another forgotten guild. The Sweep did not take it for the monster that it was and so he did not expect it to fly from his hand and into the heavens.

Read on to find out how the divine turd spoke with the ghost of the serpent constellation (Lorkhan), and how it launched an attack on Vivec City when the Hortator went up to the heavens to find him.

This is in contrast to the (possibly corrupted) history given in http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/pilgrim_path.shtml:
    When Sheogorath rebelled against the Tribunal, he tricked the moon Baar Dau into forsaking its appointed path through Oblivion. The Mad Star inspired the moon to hurl itself upon Vivec's new city, which Sheogorath claimed was built in mockery of the heavens. When Vivec learned of Sheogorath's scheme, he froze the rogue moon in the sky with a single gesture and the grace of his countenance. Overwhelmed by the courage and daring of Vivec, the moon Baar Dau swore itself to eternal service of the Tribunal and all its works. Thus the moon now stands guard over the palace, and serves as a citadel for the Temple's Ordinators.

Amysaurusrex

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Evidently a dragon break wouldn't cause it to fall (Warp in the West?), unless the dragon break was spatially limited. A limited dragon break? :wacko:

But so long as the dragon break doesn't affect everyone's love for V'vehk... :twirl:

Dragon breaks are always spatially limited. A dragonbreak is a localized temporal anomaly. If it weren't localized, it wouldn't be an anomaly anyway.

Let's say there's an universal temporal anomaly. For some reason, one second now takes as long as one hour took before the anomaly. Since everybody is affected, though, nobody notices, because for everything that is affected, one second is still one second...

I've heard some strange stuff about Baar Dan, ministry of truth... What is it really, as in, it's origins?...

Is Baar Dan the lovechild of Baar Dau and Baan Dar? The Ministry of Truth is Baar Dau.

As for the whole Landfall thing, the Dunmer should, now that Vivec is missing, each take a rising force potion and a miner's pick and go get a little pebble from Lie Rock as a keepsake to remind them of Vehk.

If they're numerous enough to do so, there wouldn't remain anything of Lie Rock at the end, just a collection of little pebbles which would end up just damaging a lot of chimney places but not cause any large-scale destruction.
Eoh

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 pm

If they're numerous enough to do so, there wouldn't remain anything of Lie Rock at the end, just a collection of little pebbles which would end up just damaging a lot of chimney places but not cause any large-scale destruction.

If all those pebbles retained their original velocity and momentum, that would be a mighty fine shrapnel explosion.
[ becca ]

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 am

Oh I meant Baar Dau. Typo aye.

Sheogorath is the "Void Ghost" then? And, the Ministry of Truth is really a divine turd?
Davorah Katz

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Oh I meant Baar Dau. Typo aye.

Sheogorath is the "Void Ghost" then? And, the Ministry of Truth is really a divine turd?

No, the Void Ghost is Lorkhan, which is established by both the Yoku Creation Myth and then hinted in the Sermons. "The Void Ghost who hides in the religions of all men" it says, echoing this from the Monomyth:
    "The Missing God is always related to the Mortal Plane, and is a key figure in the Human/Aldmeri schism. The 'missing' refers to either his palpable absence from the pantheon (another mental distress that is interpreted a variety of ways), or the removal of his 'divine spark' by the other immortals. "

Also: "His bargains are only for ruling kings!"
Vincent Joe

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 am

Heh, forgive my stupid questions, but why and how would Lorkhan trick Baar Dau?
Marie

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Heh, forgive my stupid questions, but why and how could Lorkhan trick Baar Dau?

Moons amongst eachother, I suppose.
Chloe Lou

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion