What year was Vivec City estalished?

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:35 am

The 36 Lessons of Vivec say it must be between 1E 416 and 1 E 668...
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:34 pm

The 36 Lessons of Vivec say it must be between 1E 416 and 1 E 668...

The Sermons are more Noah's Arc than Anna Comemnus. IIRC TIL has a tenuous date on a timeline.
brian adkins

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 am

The Sermons are more Noah's Arc than Anna Comemnus. IIRC TIL has a tenuous date on a timeline.

I can't find it, but I do almost recall a date from somewhere.
jenny goodwin

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 pm

TIL lists 414 as the date of the opening of Vvardenfell to settlement. Now, Vivec City could have an exception, but I like to ignore this date entirely because it is far too recent. If all the settlements are that young, the quality and believability of the setting takes a hit.
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 pm

TIL lists 414 as the date of the opening of Vvardenfell to settlement. Now, Vivec City could have an exception, but I like to ignore this date entirely because it is far too recent. If all the settlements are that young, the quality and believability of the setting takes a hit.

I think it largely depends on what kind of settlement we're talking about. The larger great house communities likely have existed for a long time--I'd guess that Ald'ruhn is pretty old, for example. Balmora might be relatively newer. The big Telvanni towers have likely been around for a while (esp. Tel Fyr) since the Telvanni mage-lord's wouldn't have cared about any Temple restrictions upon settlement.

The type of settlement that might have been more strictly forbidden would be the plantation/farm settlements outside of established communities. Even, then, I think a lot of people would have ignored the Temple reserve policy. A real-world parallel might be King George III forbidding American colonials from settling on the other side of the Appalachians. The lure of free (or very cheap) land was much stronger than any authoritarian restrictions on settlement.

Edit: The Tamriel Timeline (on TIL) regrettably makes no mention of the founding of Vivec City.
Roisan Sweeney

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:53 pm

In 3E 414, Vvardenfell Territory, previously a Temple preserve under Imperial protection, was reorganized as an Imperial Provincial District. Vvardenfell had been maintained as a preserve administrated by the Temple since the Treaty of the Armistice, and except for a few Great House settlements sanctioned by the Temple, Vvardenfell was previously uninhabited and undeveloped. But when the centuries-old Temple ban on trade and settlement of Vvardenfell was revoked by King of Morrowind, a flood of Imperial colonists and Great House Dunmer came to Vvardenfell, expanding old settlements and building new ones. - http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/short_morrowind.shtml

It was open, sorta, just not to the Empire. So Balmora, Ald'Rhun and Tel Mora were probebly there already and expanded greatly in a few years.
Nathan Barker

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:47 pm

It was open, sorta, just not to the Empire.

In 3E 414, Vvardenfell Territory, previously a Temple preserve under Imperial protection, was reorganized as an Imperial Provincial District. Vvardenfell had been maintained as a preserve administrated by the Temple since the Treaty of the Armistice, and except for a few Great House settlements sanctioned by the Temple, Vvardenfell was previously uninhabited and undeveloped. But when the centuries-old Temple ban on trade and settlement of Vvardenfell was revoked by King of Morrowind, a flood of Imperial colonists and Great House Dunmer came to Vvardenfell, expanding old settlements and building new ones. - http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/short_morrowind.shtml

Ah, that's better. The king of Morrowind opened the island? I'd really like to know what the Temple and the Triunes thought about that. Heck, maybe Indoril remained absent out of protest.
Sherry Speakman

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Ah, that's better. The king of Morrowind opened the island? I'd really like to know what the Temple and the Triunes thought about that. Heck, maybe Indoril remained absent out of protest.

Yes, but I can't figure out of that was Helseth or Llethan.
ezra

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:12 am

Temple has lost much of its power prior to opening and had other troubles (Dagoth Ur, Ghostfence etc).
Late king was merely Imperial official, and Indoril never had foothold on island.
In theory land was still nominally Temple's, but not as a reserve.

And regarding the original post, from what I know city was established sometimes in 1st era after the eruption of Red Mountain and Tribunal's rise to power.
Sorry, no exact dates.
Silvia Gil

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Yes, but I can't figure out of that was Helseth or Llethan.

Tribunal's dialogue is our only clue?

I always viewd Llethan's death as a recent event, judging by the buzzing rumors, the crackdowns, and the Common Tongue. You get the feeling that things have just changed in Mournhold. 'Barenziah is back, how happy,' not 'Barenziah has been back for a dozen years and we're still giddy.'
Cameron Garrod

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:23 am

Tribunal's dialogue is our only clue?

I always viewd Llethan's death as a recent event, judging by the buzzing rumors, the crackdowns, and the Common Tongue. You get the feeling that things have just changed in Mournhold. 'Barenziah is back, how happy,' not 'Barenziah has been back for a dozen years and we're still giddy.'

Llethan

Look at official publications like Yellow book of Hlaalu, Llethan reigned in year before Nerevarine's arrival.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Llethan

Look at official publications like Yellow book of Hlaalu, Llethan reigned in year before Nerevarine's arrival.

That was the conclusion I reached. Mystery solved.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:12 pm

If you assume that the The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec are written in chronological order (it begins with the birth of Vehk and ends with the Battle of Red Mountain) then Vivec City must have been established between 1E 416 and 1E 668 rather than after 3E 414.

On the other hand, TES: Arena takes place in 3E 389 - 3E 399. Its map doesn't show Vivec.

The first PGE from CE 864 (2E 864) doesn't show Vivec on the map, and claims the Tribunal were only ever heard from after the sixth century.
Nana Samboy

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 am

Llethan

Also note that the Warp in the West is officially listed as occurring in 3E417... presumably Helseth was still in the court of Wayrest then. Elysana did not take control (and force Helseth out) until afterward.

Almost indisputably Llethan.
Valerie Marie

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:48 pm

If you assume that the The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec are written in chronological order (it begins with the birth of Vehk and ends with the Battle of Red Mountain) then Vivec City must have been established between 1E 416 and 1E 668 rather than after 3E 414.

Whoawhoawhoa.

Sermons.

Empirical Evidence

There, if I put those words any close on the page there would be a power surge and antimatter explosion.
Sunny Under

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Whoawhoawhoa.

Sermons.
Empirical Evidence

There, if I put those words any close on the page there would be a power surge and antimatter explosion.

:ahhh:

God, you don't know how long I've been waiting for something empirical to come along and satiate me.

Too long.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 am

:ahhh:

God, you don't know how long I've been waiting for something empirical to come along and satiate me.

Too long.

Hey, I wrote an article that makes no reference to anything metaphysical or even spiritual. How the heck did that happen?
Matt Bigelow

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Cosmic joke?
Stephani Silva

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 am

I'm just waiting for in game news that the city has been torn down. :wub:

Or just let the rock hit it.
luis dejesus

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm just waiting for in game news that the city has been torn down. :wub:

Or just let the rock hit it.

Didn't we already discuss that the rock will create searing winds from its crater, but not even hurt the city that badly? And also, I highly doubt ANYONE will be willing to tear the city down.

1: It's too huge to think about doing.

2: You'd have fanatic Temple people killing every Imperial in sight if the Empire choose to do so. Bad news. Baaaaad news. That'd be like the US going into Israel and saying they were going to flatten Jerusalem and make it into a McDonalds.
Reven Lord

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:41 am

Didn't we already discuss that the rock will create searing winds from its crater, but not even hurt the city that badly? And also, I highly doubt ANYONE will be willing to tear the city down.

1: It's too huge to think about doing.

2: You'd have fanatic Temple people killing every Imperial in sight if the Empire choose to do so. Bad news. Baaaaad news. That'd be like the US going into Israel and saying they were going to flatten Jerusalem and make it into a McDonalds.

I hate to break it to you, but the cantons are kinda sitting on ocean floor. The ministry will apparently hit the ocean there. It will go right through that shallow water, and hit the dirt underneath, creating intense heat. The water will collide with that superheated crater, and create a catastrophic steam explosion.

The city would go BOOM.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Oh, unless they just sent all the Ordinators off on a boat right when it started shaking, right? ;)

It's not heavy enough or high up enough to do anything but make a big crater and a lot of [censored] weather.
lolly13

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am

Oh, unless they just sent all the Ordinators off on a boat right when it started shaking, right? ;)

It's not heavy enough or high up enough to do anything but make a big crater and a lot of [censored] weather.

MK says that it is frozen "in time", not "In space"--- meaning when it goes, it will have all the kinetic energy it had when it was first coming in.

In other words, it will hit DAMN HARD.
Hella Beast

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 am

MK says that it is frozen "in time", not "In space"--- meaning when it goes, it will have all the kinetic energy it had when it was first coming in.

In other words, it will hit DAMN HARD.

Oooooh, well I never knew that.

Thaaaat...[censored] svcks. Better hope that the population can swim.

But by that reasoning, couldn't a Dragon Break cause the thing to fall too?
J.P loves

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 pm

This is TES. Baar Dau (earlier I confused it with Baan Dar, by ALMSIVI...) came crashing toward the city (sent by Sheogorath, according to The Pilgrim's Path) and was stopped by Vivec. In http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/lessons.shtml it is called Lie Rock.

Lie Rock, however, used the confusion to launch his own attack on the city-god, Vivec. He was hastened by all three of the black guardians, who wanted him swiftly gone, though they meant no hostility to the lord of the middle air.

The citizenry of Vivec screamed as they saw a shooting star come down out of the sky hole like a toll-road of hell. But Vivec merely raised his hand and froze Lie Rock just above the city and then he pierced the monster with Muatra.

(The practice of piercing the Second Aperture is now forbidden.)

When Nerevar returned, he saw the frozen comet above his lord's city. He asked whether or not Vivec wanted it removed.

'I would have done so myself if I wanted, silly Hortator. I shall keep it there with its last intention intact, so that if the love of the people of this city for me ever disappear, so shall the power that holds back their destruction.'

Nerevar said, 'Love is under your will only.'

Vivec smiled and told the Hortator that he had become a Minister of Truth.

(emphasis mine)

Lie Rock, Baar Dau, the Ministry of Truth... it is held up by love. When the love for V'vehk ends, the people will be destroyed. None shall survive.

What Wierd said, only with actually text from the sermons.

Edit: And V'Vehk comes off like a bit of an ass in this sermon, if you ask me.
Etta Hargrave

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion