Which Weapon would you Choose?

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 am

The sniper rifle needs a slower rate of fire....it is just way faster than it should be. FO2 the sniper rifle had extremely high crit rate but the AP cost was through the roof....making it pretty useless in most situations.

My weapon of choice: Suppressed 12.7mm smg

The ammo is hard to get early on, but it only takes a couple shots to kill most things.
Austin Suggs

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Don't you have to tangle with a Radscorpion Queen for that axe?

I've never checked out Searchlight much, so I don't know. If you really can get Knock Knock that early, that's insane! It's probably the best VATS melee weapon (21 AP per swing, decent damage).

You do have to tangle with the queen.

Which makes the minimum PRACTICAL level for getting it somewhat higher.

You could load up on HoT items (20 or 30 nuka-cola ought to do it), pop a turbo and try to get past her up the door.

Problem is the "does not open doors" flag is bugged she might chase you.
Carlitos Avila

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:29 am

For 1, I could probably see myself playing through the game with just a Hunting Shotgun, if I really had to.

For 2, probably Dinner Bell, just to mix things up a liittle.
Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:44 am

Sniper rifle silenced so I can kill my friend while he is talking to his friend in hidden mode and he won't know because I was hidden but he didn't know because even though the blood splattered in his face, he continued to walk away unaware his friend died just because of my silenced weapon thus meaning I won.

I went there.
Kortknee Bell

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 am

Hmmm I'd say the good ol' http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/M72_Gauss_rifle_%28Fallout_2%29
xemmybx

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 am

1) La Longue Carabine

2) Probably also La Longue Carabine. I'd avoid as much conflict as possible until I reach Boone then let him take care of stuff until I can get to McCaren. Then do the "shoot the gun out of his hand and holster as quick as possible" trick.
Talitha Kukk

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:10 am

The most fun weapon for me is the Ballistic Fist. I got it pretty early on after beating down Ceasar's guards in the robot bunker. Even though I'm energy spec'd, it was by far the best way to take out guys in melee range. There's just something viscerally pleasurable about punching a cazador in the face and having a shotgun go-off...

If I went gun, I'd probably go with the tri-beam laser rifle. Great damage/shot, great DPS, extremely accurate.
Emmanuel Morales

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 am

My answers would be:

1. YCS/186 Gauss Rifle

2. Power fist
Avril Louise

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 am

Hunting shotgun all the way. It's reasonably (realistically) accurate, packs a *big* punch, is extremely effective on soft targets and moderately effective on hard targets, ammo is common and cheap.
tegan fiamengo

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am

Question 1 I'd probably say All American or the Sniper Rifle

Question 2 I would love to say the All American but to get it at a low level would be suicide (I'm gonna try to do that in my next game).

I was checking the Wiki quite frequently before the game came out. Just checking out the weapons and stuff. I saw the All American and knew that I just had to have it. So on my first play through, on Hard Core, I was on a mission to get it as soon as I could. I believe I was level 7 when I went into Vault 34 for the very first time. Needless to say, it was a memorable experience. By the time I finally got into the Armory and got my gun, I was completely out of all radiation meds and just had to haul ass out of there. I think my rads were in the 800's by the time I got out. I remember the RAD symbol was bright red and flashing. Totally worth it though.
BRIANNA

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:24 am

The goal with the rifles overall was to give reasons to use each of them in a variety of situations, with some situations being more well suited for one weapon over the other.

I am qouting Mr Sawyer here as they were very succesful at achieving this goal. I have yet to find a gun that is best suited for all situations.

However, if I had to pick only one weapon it would be the Marksman Carbine.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:18 am

1. GCSR
2. 10mm SMG
laila hassan

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Question 1:

Guns- Sniper Rifle
EW- YCS/186
Explosives- Grenade Machine Gun

Question 2:

Guns- either This Machine or That Gun, due to getting the former being buggy as hell
EW- YCS/186
Explosives- Grenade Machine Gun

I wanted to say Annabelle for Explosives, but you have to fight through a bunch of Super Mutants and Nightkin to get it. Another possibility would be Thump-Thump, however 40mm HE rounds are really hard to come by and without the added damage it's kind of feeble. For much the same reason I went with the regular GMG over Mercy, as well as the fact that you have to get past the Legendary Deathclaw to get it.

I should note that in my game the YCS/186 has been modded to be more in-line with the Sniper Rifle and AMR in terms of ammo consumption and clip size; were it not I would probably go with a fully-modded Laser Rifle for both questions, or with a modded Plasma Caster. I was tempted to say the Q-35 Matter Modulator, but even with MC ammo it's still lacking against end-game foes compared to a kitted-out Laser Rifle.
anna ley

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 am

I am qouting Mr Sawyer here as they were very succesful at achieving this goal. I have yet to find a gun that is best suited for all situations.

However, if I had to pick only one weapon it would be the Marksman Carbine.

Long as you forget the Trail Carbine is in the game that's quite true. Trail Carbine with Cowboy perk and SWC ammo is the closest thing to a "All-in-One-Wonder" weapon, leaving the rest of the guns as highly niche weapons at best.
Claire

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:04 am

Long as you forget the Trail Carbine is in the game that's quite true. Trail Carbine with Cowboy perk and SWC ammo is the closest thing to a "All-in-One-Wonder" weapon, leaving the rest of the guns as highly niche weapons at best.

I considered the Trail Carbine but it reloads too slow for me. Tactical disavantage there.
David John Hunter

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:57 am

Since they nerfed the sniper, I'd have to go with a hunting rifle (fully-modded with JSP of course) in both cases. Probably have to OD on chems for the final mission, though.
Vera Maslar

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm a little miffed at what I view as a nerfing of the sniper rifles. Now, I'll admit they were a bit overpowered, but now? I shot a Legionnaire in the face with a .308 HP round, pretty much point blank with my trusty Gobi, and it barely dented his health. It's happened quite a bit since the latest patch, and long distance sniping has become a lot more hit and miss, with headshots doing little to no damage.

Actually, shooting guys in the face with the brush gun seemed to do little to no damage. What gives? Riot shotgun was a bit more effective, as it only took two to three shots to kill Legionnaires.
Gisela Amaya

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:44 am

I'm a little miffed at what I view as a nerfing of the sniper rifles. Now, I'll admit they were a bit overpowered, but now? I shot a Legionnaire in the face with a .308 HP round, pretty much point blank with my trusty Gobi, and it barely dented his health. It's happened quite a bit since the latest patch, and long distance sniping has become a lot more hit and miss, with headshots doing little to no damage.

Actually, shooting guys in the face with the brush gun seemed to do little to no damage. What gives? Riot shotgun was a bit more effective, as it only took two to three shots to kill Legionnaires.

I'm on the 360 and haven't gotten the patch yet. But I can tell you that nerfing a weapon in a single player game is just ridiculous. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Simple as that. This isn't Battlefield or CoD where there's some super weapon that's incredibly unbalanced. Not to mention, there are way more important issues to address and fix. Yet because a few people complained that it was too easy if they used that gun, they decided to nerf it. I don't get it. I saw a thread yesterday where someone was saying that the Alien Blaster needs to be nerfed. Seriously!? If you don't like a certain weapon, then don't use it. By complaining about that stuff, people end up ruining some of the enjoyment a lot of other people have with the game. This is Fallout. It's supposed to be played the way each person wants to. If they keep going back and nerfing weapons, they'll end up completely ruining this game just to appease a small group of people.
Rudy Paint fingers

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Since the entire game is specifically designed (and they are still trying to get it right :hubbahubba: ) to prevent any single weapon from being the Be-All End-All über Waffe, the premise is flawed.

Therefor I pick two:
YCS/186 and Riot Shotgun
Jay Baby

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 am

1 Light machine gun with extended mags
2 Gobi campain scout rifle easy to get.
Maria Leon

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 pm

1. Hunting rifle... great early on and fully modded works on everything

2. hunting rifle then silenced 12.7mm SMG

I love a .50 caliber automatic weapon and my favorite combo is AMR and 12.7mm SMG for all of my asskicking needs
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Overall id choose this machine and gmg one for close mid and long range and gmg for crowds
Chica Cheve

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm doing it all wrong so I have Ronnie haul the tri beam and I use Oh Baby. A lot of fun and whining from Veronica ... oh yeah. I spend most of my stims on her after she gets in Oh Baby's way.

A real hoot with her I find.
Klaire

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm

My choices:
1. The All American Close to mid-range work,
2. Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle for longer range kills

....and...
3. Anti-Material Rifle For hunting Death Claws

That is my standard load out.
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 am

• I like it up close and personal so I would choose the Ballistic Fist. When you use it together with poison (Best is Tremble, but req. high survival skills) it will kill a deathclaw in one blow. And if you need a second strike, it will be severely impaired due to the poison.
  • I would go for the Riot shotgun. Just need to get to the strip to get your hands on one. Those pesky cazador's become easy pray with the Shotgun Surgeon perk.

jess hughes

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas