Why are Norse people (Scandinavian / Baltic) people so tall

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:52 am

I think its the northern climate and evolution. People where it is cold are generally more hearty, I noticed this even on a bus ride from nebraska to Michigan. Northern people were generally bigger and taller.

Like my Robyn :D (see picture) ... Im 6ft 1 Robyn is pretty tall.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am

Well, some Asian folks were also very combative and they weren't very tall (Mongols, for example), and the same could be said about lots of other peoples. So it's more at random. That's how evolution (in the sense of random mutations, not progression to better... maybe it's a stupid aclaration, but I don't want to look nazi) works.

ninjas have gotta be small :P
Naturall selection? thats why all the hot women are eurupean :P
its cold in those countrys, so being bigger and stronger would be good for hunting and keeping warm probably (im no scientist) . plus they were always getting smashed and fighting. train hard, get bigger.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 am

Are the Saami people rather short in comparison?
Lyd

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:24 am

Towns still are far from eachother, compared to rest of europe anyway. But in terms of non-family inbreeding ur right yes. But i dont think that was too diffrent in many other countries either with the exception of the biggest towns. Scandinavia, and Norway and iceland especially, is just geographically isolated and has thus untill now been shielded from immigration. Now of course the doors are wide open so you can allready see in statistics that we are being ethnically cleansed, just regionally at the moment but over 100years or so the effect will be huge. Its ironic that those who claim to cherish diversity, are the ones who are also destroying it, by blending everything into a soup and making only the strongest surivive, with unnatural scope due to the extreme globalisation and lack of natural limitations in this modern world. But thats rather off-topic i guess :P.

Well, the difference with other countries would lie in communications, I suppose. In my country, Spain, while in the 18th century there were good roads almost everywhere, here in ther northern part towns were completely isolated, because of mountains and cold climate.

About the second part of your post, it's something I prefer not to speak about here. I will just say that I... don't have any problem with inmigration, provided that it's tolerance. However, it's a topic that I find really interesting (yes, I love antropology and things like that), and I would be glad to talk about it to understand, if you wish.
celebrity

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm 175. I'm short. :(
Kara Payne

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:56 pm

All people used to interbreed as in marry from their own type. travel of the modern world and political correctness has encouraged mixed relationships. If its a reference to marrying from first cousins then other parts of the world such as many Muslim countries are historically the worst for this as it is accepted. I'm sure Nordic countries did it no more than any other older culture. It was more common globally full stop. Laws and research has calmed it down and much research into modern science has come from northern European countries.

I don't think interbreeding is something that has anything to do with it. Lets be sensible. Genetics, diet or climate may be but not interbreeding.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

I've heard the Sami are quite short in general, and the ones I've met always have been - unfortunately, I don't know enough Sami people to give an accurate guesstimate at what their average height might be. And I've never seen an actually accurate source say they're short, it's more on the basis of hearsay. I'm unable to find any reliable sources to back up their shortness, though, but http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/humantypes2.jpg pops up with a quick Google search. Anyway, the point is that if the Sami are indeed quite short and have lived in the extreme North (as they have), that makes the "taller because of colder climate"-argument less probable.

It's true that the Scandinavian countries have been "isolated" for a long time, so a narrower gene pool might be what caused it.

At 5'2'' I'm below average height by Finnish standards. :( Damn. I should move to a country with a shorter average height to make myself feel taller.
Andrea Pratt

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't see how evolution is a valid answer. If what you're saying is people living in Nordic countries are tall due to the conditions they live in, well Africans in general are tall too, and the conditions they live in is the complete antithesis of those in Nordic countries.

So, yeah.

I guess it's luck. :shrug:
SaVino GοΜ

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:44 am

I'm 2,02 m. and 16 years old.
Emily Shackleton

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:27 pm

All people used to interbreed as in marry from their own type. travel of the modern world and political correctness has encouraged mixed relationships. If its a reference to marrying from first cousins then other parts of the world such as many Muslim countries are historically the worst for this as it is accepted. I'm sure Nordic countries did it no more than any other older culture. It was more common globally full stop. Laws and research has calmed it down and much research into modern science has come from northern European countries.

I don't think interbreeding is something that has anything to do with it. Lets be sensible. Genetics, diet or climate may be but not interbreeding.

Weeell, the preservation of some reccesive features are because of inbreeding between members of the same towns, because of the isolation of them. That's a fact, as far as I know.

I don't see how evolution is a valid answer. If what you're saying is people living in Nordic countries are tall due to the conditions they live in, well Africans in general are tall too, and the conditions they live in is the complete antithesis of those in Nordic countries.

So, yeah.

I guess it's luck. :shrug:

Evolution doesn't neccesarily means adaptation. It includes changes at random, not beneficial nor harmful.
Your Mum

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 pm

All nordic countries are about as genetically diverse as the rest of Europe. Except Finland. Everyone is lactose intolerant in Finland. That's why I buy Finnish dairy products. Thanks, inbred Finns!
Amy Melissa

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:43 am

I'm huge! That means I have huge genes!
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:35 pm

This is randomness in its purest form! Even more than in genetics... mmmm...
Marlo Stanfield

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:34 pm

All nordic countries are about as genetically diverse as the rest of Europe. Except Finland. Everyone is lactose intolerant in Finland. That's why I buy Finnish dairy products. Thanks, inbred Finns!

:rofl:
Brad Johnson

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Rip and tear!
Scared humanity

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 am

Genetics. For thousounds of years they were battle-hardy people [censored] and pillaging wherever they go. thats hard work.
Australian's are tall and naturally strong too.

Only difference is that Aussies are a mix of all other countries.. The first in Australia where criminals and prosttutes.. I love that about Australia. You can see why they are hardy. They have struggled to survive..

I'm 175. I'm short. :(

Me to dude. I feel with you.. Still it's good you can be a handsome man regardless of height. It's all about pressence. Look at Tom Cruise. with 1.68 he's still one of the most sought for men in the world.. (maybe pre-scientology what do i know.)

Im danish btw..A big hello to my scandinavien brothers.
Angela Woods

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Still it's good you can be a handsome man regardless of height. It's all about pressence. Look at Tom Cruise. with 1.68 he's still one of the most sought for men in the world..

Tom Cruise
Robert Downey Jr.
Al Pacino
Lil Wayne
Drake Bell
Jack Black
Ben Stiller

Height has nothing to do with success. That's what I keep telling myself atleast, at 172. :P
leni

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Tom Cruise
Robert Downey Jr.
Al Pacino
Lil Wayne
Drake Bell
Jack Black
Ben Stiller

Height has nothing to do with success. That's what I keep telling myself atleast, at 172. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Davis
Jamie Lee

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Hell, we even have a "http://www.vaestoliitto.fi/in_english/genetics/rare_diseases/finnish_disease_heritage/".
Wayland Neace

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 am

Hell, we even have a "http://www.vaestoliitto.fi/in_english/genetics/rare_diseases/finnish_disease_heritage/".

At least we've got good dairy products. Think positive!
Gracie Dugdale

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Interbreeding with Neanderthals, perhaps...

Reich said humans and Neanderthals might have continued to mate with each other later, "because their populations overlapped in Europe and remains have been found for human individuals with Neanderthal-type features,"

http://news.discovery.com/human/neanderthal-human-interbreed-dna.html
Brooks Hardison

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:06 pm

While that theory exists, it doesn't count with much support. And when it's spoken about it, it's usually related to the Scotts.

Maybe there was some case of interbreeding with Neandethals, who knows... but it would be something rare and with almost no phenotypic repercussion.
Danii Brown

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 pm

No Neanderthals were short.

Why do "Asian" people have skinny eyes? who knows :shrug:
Nicole Mark

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Neanderthals were short and powerfully built
Katharine Newton

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Davis

This.
Pat RiMsey

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games