Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:30 am

Tom Cruise
Robert Downey Jr.
Al Pacino
Lil Wayne
Drake Bell
Jack Black
Ben Stiller

Height has nothing to do with success. That's what I keep telling myself atleast, at 172. :P

Showbiz only?

How about Napoleon,or Ross Perot, or Chesty Puller, or Mahatma Ghandi, or Martin Luther King, or Gus Grissom? :)

" The greatness of a man is not measured from his feet to his head, but from his head to the sky".

I'm 6' 00", for the record.
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:32 am

Tallness is primarily the result of good nutrition and good health whilst still a child. A few minor diseases or regular bouts of sickness will stunt growth whilst the body redirects resources to fight off infections. Good nutrition requires a higher proportion of protein and fat than is in vogue at the moment, and plenty of (but not excessive) calories. Environment plays a lesser third part since its no good eating well if all you consume is being spent to keep you warm in a draughty cold house rather than building new bone and tissue.

Scandinavians win on all three counts and have done historically.

Low population density and (until recently) more rural life meant that disease was less rife. The last couple of generations have been more urban, but this has been balanced by better health care, especially with the advent of universal immunisations.

Food wise Scandinavians have historically had more access to fish, meat and dairy products in their diets, with less subsistence on grain. Again the lower population density and rural distribution meant more food per person, with slightly less impact from the occasional famines incurred by crop failure or war.

Environment-wise, Scandinavians are blessed with a stable climate not prone to severe weather effects, no significant seismic zones, and few poisonous creatures. The winters, although long, historically prevented much population movement (which helped prevent epidemics) and encouraged the building of very good houses. The dryness of the climate (at least on the eastern side of the Fj?llen/Kj?len reduced dampness related sicknesses and physical heat loss.The only downside were the mosquitoes which used to be a vector for mild malaria, but again, Scandinavia was less affected than the rest of Europe, being cooler and having less marshes.

So all in all, Scandinavians with their excellent healthcare, attention to fitness, high standard of living, good housing and pleasant climate are all conducive to permitting children to more likely reach their full potential growth.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:45 pm

inbreeding

:o

I thought you left us man!
Cayal

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Showbiz only?

How about Napoleon,or Ross Perot, or Chesty Puller, or Mahatma Ghandi, or Martin Luther King, or Gus Grissom? :)

" The greatness of a man is not measured from his feet to his head, but from his head to the sky".

I'm 6' 00", for the record.

Napoleon was of average height for that time
Erich Lendermon

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Northern Europe is the center of a number of genetic adaptations and mutations. Blue eyes, fair hair, fair skin, taller than average height. Being able to tolerate milk after early childhood is unique to the region too. In Southern Europe, Africa and Asia most people are lactose intolerant. Native Americans too.

Just an odd bunch of mutants. ;)
neil slattery

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Napoleon was of average height for that time

Time and location, 1.69 was pretty average for 18th century France. He only appeared small next to the Imperial Guard with a required height of at least 1.75. It did not help though that he was still nicknamed "Small General", and that the average French height of that time was lower than that of countries he was up against. ^_^
Just an odd bunch of mutants. ;)

I shall form a school for us. The VDFTR School for Milk Drinking Youngsters. We shall be the L-Men-and-Women-and-Transgendered-and-occasional-Child. To keep with Europe's political correctness.
Shirley BEltran

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:28 pm

A hard way of life and adaptation.

They probably needed big lungs in that cold climate so they have barrel chests.

Being tall? Snow can get very high in those places, so long legs help to stay out of the cold, shorter people probably died off due to the snow burying them. Andy ninja'ed me. :(

Asian people do not have skinny eyes, just thicker eyelids, I think this was due too them keeping debris out of their eyes.

My hunches.
NIloufar Emporio

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:51 am

Chinese people are freakishly tall and so generally are beasts at basketball.

/stereotype.

Genetics at work really. Not that any individual couldn't get to such a bodily state. It might just be harder or sometimes even easier.

Yup it has to deal with genetics, but more so with selective breeding if you want to get really technical. When you have men or women picking someone due to certain attractive traits that is selective breeding that will be passed down from Dad/Mother to Son/Daughter etc... . If you have tall people finding the best girls and breeding then you'll have tall people. Sadly i'm only 5' 7" to 5' 8", but there are some tall people in my genes with one being 6' 2".

The same thing is currently applied to farming where animals like cows that produce the most milk/best milk are bred and thus you get more efficient animals.

This is a little hard to talk about for some, but the reason right now alot of disease are cropping up *Genetic Disease* is due to medical science advancing. Many of these people before these advancements would have passed away, but now they are being saved and are having children thus the continuation of these genetic diseases is happening. For those that like to look up stuff you can look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyly as well as the inbreeding of king's during medieval times producing the "King's Disease" forget the actual name of it atm.
Manny(BAKE)

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 pm

This is a little hard to talk about for some, but the reason right now alot of disease are cropping up *Genetic Disease* is due to medical science advancing. Many of these people before these advancements would have passed away, but now they are being saved and are having children thus the continuation of these genetic diseases is happening. For those that like to look up stuff you can look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyly as well as the inbreeding of king's during medieval times producing the "King's Disease" forget the actual name of it atm.

I don't know if it's the one you say, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter%27s_syndrome was quite common, among dinasty.
Marie Maillos

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

The Nordic peoples need to be tall, thus allowing them to grow longer beards and bring much honor to Odin.
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm

The Nordic peoples need to be tall, thus allowing them to grow longer beards and bring much honor to Odin.

Best explanation ever.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:14 am

I'm 175. I'm short. :(

I'm 175cm too. I'm quite sure that's average (in Malta at least).
Captian Caveman

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 am

Because Odin wanted it that way, that's why.
Markie Mark

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Good question. Likely it's genetics, but why is the question.

Genetics. For thousounds of years they were battle-hardy people [censored] and pillaging wherever they go. thats hard work....

Mongols did that too, but they are short and stocky (generally speaking)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann%27s_rule In a colder climate you get bigger animals of the same species.
Bigger size gives you better volume to area ratio, and therefore better protection from cold.

Excellent theory, but Eskimos are a counter example.

Showbiz only?

How about Napoleon,or Ross Perot, or Chesty Puller, or Mahatma Ghandi, or Martin Luther King, or Gus Grissom? :)...

As I recall Julius Caesar was about 5'6 or 5'7. But then I guess that was tall for most Ancient Romans.
Maeva

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 pm

God how I love Scandinavian stuff.
Steven Hardman

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 am

I think a more interesting question is why the Scandinavians who share the same rough genetic cline as northern England, Scotland and Ireland (after conquering and colonising them in the early Middle Ages) grow to be noticeably taller. Or a better example might be the Netherlands which effectively shares the same genetic heritages as its neighbouring countries (being the melting pot in the middle) but their population averages taller than either France or Germany. Europe is such a genetic blending that the average population height variances are probably more due to national differences in health and nutrition.

For a poignant insight take a look at the Wiki page showing average heights from around the world and compare the difference between the height of Mexican men (5'4") and American Mexican men (5'7"). That's a three inch difference primarily driven by a modest increase in standard of living!

Genetics. For thousounds of years they were battle-hardy people [censored] and pillaging wherever they go. thats hard work....

:) I don't know whether you were just joking, but actually only a very tiny part of the Scandinavian population became Vikings and raided overseas. The vast majority were (relatively) peaceful farmers.
Jake Easom

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Slightly related factoid: The entire population of Iceland has a genetic heritage linked with native Americans.
Dale Johnson

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Slightly related factoid: The entire population of Iceland has a genetic heritage linked with native Americans.

No we don't
Emma

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 am

Me to dude. I feel with you.. Still it's good you can be a handsome man regardless of height. It's all about pressence. Look at Tom Cruise. with 1.68 he's still one of the most sought for men in the world.. (maybe pre-scientology what do i know.)

Im danish btw..A big hello to my scandinavien brothers.

Yeah, atleast I have good looks. :disco:

I'm 175cm too. I'm quite sure that's average (in Malta at least).

According to that wikipedia link averege height here is 180cm.
.X chantelle .x Smith

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

:) I don't know whether you were just joking, but actually only a very tiny part of the Scandinavian population became Vikings and raided overseas. The vast majority were (relatively) peaceful farmers.

I'm no expert on Scandinavian history, but Iceland's history is anything but peaceful :lol:
Patrick Gordon

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:35 pm

maybe something to do with Viking mate selection?

http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v95/n2/full/6800695a.html

British Isles women are mentioned in old Icelandic texts concerning the founding of Iceland, indicating that the Viking explorers had acquired wives and concubines from their settlements here.

.. genetic markers have been used to examine the question of Viking settlement in North-West Europe. Studies involving the Y-chromosome and mtDNA have been particularly important as both can yield highly informative nonrecombining haplotypes, which can be used to examine the population histories of males and females, respectively.

Iceland and the Western Isles/Isle of Skye, show a marked excess (approximately double) of Scandinavian ancestry in their Y-chromosomes relative to their maternal mtDNA heritage. It seems, in these areas, that the Viking settlement was mainly for the unattached male, who subsequently 'acquired' partners from among the local populations. The asymmetry here is suggested to be best, and most simply, explained by geography and the physical distance of the new settlements from the Scandinavian homeland. That is, those settlements closer to home, such as Shetland and Orkney, were easier to secure and, therefore, more suitable for family-based settlement. In contrast, those further north and west were on the frontier, a perilous unknown, best left to groups of lone male colonizers.

Ellie English

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I think a more interesting question is why the Scandinavians who share the same rough genetic cline as northern England, Scotland and Ireland (after conquering and colonising them in the early Middle Ages) grow to be noticeably taller.

Maybe intermarrying with the locals, who tended to be somewhat shorter? Formerly it was assumed that the indigenous population was displaced by the new arrivals, but from what I understand it's now thought that the respective peoples probably mixed.
Justin

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:07 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann%27s_rule In a colder climate you get bigger animals of the same species.
Bigger size gives you better volume to area ratio, and therefore better protection from cold.

This. I thought that the climate must have had a play in this. But I think it's mostly down to genetics though
Mike Plumley

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am

This.
joannARRGH

Post » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:18 pm

No we don't

Some of you do, due to this Native American woman the Vikings took back with them back to Iceland.
Charles Mckinna

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games