will you do male or female character ?

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm going to be female because i base the character on myself.

Wooo! Gamer girls!
Hawt :disguise:
NEGRO

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:23 pm

I will play as a male character. It is because I want to be in the shoes of the character that I play as and that is one of the things that gives me that feeling.

If I were to make a male character, I wouldn't think of myself as being weird. :/It would be more like that's my character in the game, and me playing the game, well, I'm his companion/partner/sidekick. We're traveling around and in it together. It won't mean I wake up with more testosterone tomorrow. :) I could roleplay it that way.

I think these two quotes highlight the point of view difference between players who only play as their own gender, and those who don't. Some people like to think themselves as the main character of the game, and thus naturally make the character as close to themselves as possible. The other ones, including me, have an "outsider's" point of view, not thinking themselves as the character, but as an outsider who controls the game. I think myself more as a "director" who decides how the main character reacts to the events, depending on the character's history, personality and motivations. And i find the story more interesting when the "hero who saves all" is a woman.

It's not just about the eyecandy ;)
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:23 am

I play both, but I think I will play the evil female character first, like the one I played the most in FO3. I might play a male character afterwards, that is more like myself.
Michelle Chau

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:28 am

When there is a choice in RPGs I will always play both ways. In some games the differences are subtle, some they are profound.
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 am

I make the male character look good too. That doesn't mean I "perv" over him. Besides that, there aren't many options to make your character ugly.

Sometimes it is just fun to play a psycho [censored].
Michael Russ

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:43 am

Ill play both at least once, my first charcter in any rpg is my avatar, some big blonde dude, neutral or good
KU Fint

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

:goodjob:
But New Vegas is all about roleplaying for me this time around, and if the role I've written fits a man then he'll be a man, if it fits a woman then it'll be a woman, if it fits a boy or girl then so be it and if it fits a grandpa or grandma then so be it.
My first character will in fact be female, but the first 4 roles I've written are all male.
So this time around it depends solely on what role I'm going to give The Courier to play as which will decide his/her gender.

:cryvaultboy: i feel bad for being my opinionated self, again haha. I might try writing some roles, i have a few weeks left to do so, thanks for giving me something to kill time.
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:48 am

Playing as female isn't some 'perverted' thing, it's a choice. Not everyone wants to play as the ever present generic male which is so common in so much of the media. I prefer playing as female, after years of boring, predictable, dull male leads who are nothing but the same old stereotype, it's nice to have the very rare choice to play as a female.

Games need more gender choice, all this catering to men and men's ego's has gaming stuck in a rut with no new ideas to progress it farther in terms of characters, choice and inviting gamers who don't want to play as some generio male.
Michelle Smith

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 pm

gonna be a cowboy so male
remi lasisi

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 pm

I think these two quotes highlight the point of view difference between players who only play as their own gender, and those who don't. Some people like to think themselves as the main character of the game, and thus naturally make the character as close to themselves as possible. The other ones, including me, have an "outsider's" point of view, not thinking themselves as the character, but as an outsider who controls the game. I think myself more as a "director" who decides how the main character reacts to the events, depending on the character's history, personality and motivations. And i find the story more interesting when the "hero who saves all" is a woman.

It's not just about the eyecandy ;)

I totally agree with the whole "outsider" thing you said. I'm a male but I always play as a female the first time through. Sometimes I respond in a conversation as I would respond myself in real life and it can be funny seeing a female say some of the stuff I would say because females are stereotyped as always being proper and never cursing or anything like that. At least most females act like that. Males are stereotyped as being "macho" and "rude" and such. As far as the whole when the female character engages a male in romantic conversations I just think of it as a movie or like I am observing someone on the street or something not as myself. I am confident in my sixuality and would never be weirded out if my female character "hits" on a male character in game. I mean come on its a video game. Its not like some dude walked up to you while playing the game and stated using one liners on you.

Second time through I play as myself, I.E. as a male. I usually try to make him a good guy because I usually do the evil female character my first playthrough. So i try to get the different storyline the second time through or at least different dialogue options. But sometimes I can't help but to blow someones head off when they are too rude to me.

Well thats my two cents.
CHangohh BOyy

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:05 am

I'll play as a Male but I think it really has to deal with the game.

When we choose a dialog option we don't hear our character talk so we get to read and think to ourselves, what should I choose, in games like Mass Effect/2 your PC talks and interacts with characters and you can craft a character to what "THEY(female)" would do instead of what "YOU(male)" would do. Maybe that's just how I feel. (playing from a male perspective. - reason works both ways)

I feel like making a Male character already for the whole "Man on Fire" approach with vengeance and what not! and with it being a 50's style game theme, and myself playing as an evil / revenge driven character, I think a Male fits the stereotype better for the theme.
Jinx Sykes

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Female. And I can assure you there will be some hot lezzie action when I find the first brothel.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Male,cause the women are too hot. (spontaneous erection) oh gods no.....must control body "hrrrgggggnnng"
Skivs

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Both, multiple playthroughs...
Sanctum

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:55 am

On topic, I play female, as I appreciate having the choice after so many games (some great, some not) where the only choice was male. I understand that in some games the script/plot doesn't necessarily allow for an easy transition between male/female characters, so it's not really possible to put in a choice, but I love it when games are able to.
Pixie

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:13 am

I see no one is gonna be a hermaphrodite .50% male 50% female .
Charlie Sarson

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Both, leaning towards female. Depends how "cool" the armor looks on a particular gender I suppose, for me anyways.
Lindsay Dunn

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Closed for clean-up - whether or not it gets opened again depends on what mood I'm in when I'm finished...

Update - a number of posts have been wished into the cornfield. (Some were deleted only because they were just responding to other posts that had already been deleted.) I'm opening this again, but please be polite about sharing your opinions on these matters. :shakehead:
Marine x

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Male.

I just find it easier to relate to my character that way, since I'm male myself. Besides, it svcks being female in a post apocalyptic world, havn't you guys seen A boy and his dog?! :laugh:
Anna Kyselova

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 am

Only male, can't roleplay otherwise.
Calum Campbell

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:41 am

I always play male charators since I'm male........no that doesn't make me sixest , does it.
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:15 am

Only male, can't roleplay otherwise.

:huh:
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

my first playthrough i try to make myself as the character. so im going as a male (on the count i aint got no lady parts)

i will eventually play as a female. just to see how its diffrent and to see the dialouge options for the black widow perk
Cassie Boyle

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I am male and only played with female chars in FO3,and will do the same in NV because:

1- I'm not the type of guy who says "male because I want him to be me".I created her,guided her,enjoyed the game watching as she turns stronger,but I don't feel I'm her.And I'm able to totally inmerse in the game without problems,like in a good movie.

2- I'ts not like by choosing a female I have to make her clean the house,go shooping and take care of the kids.She is going to kick ass,like any male character.

3-Eye candy.In these days,digital womens are so beautiful that can be admired like a piece of art.But I supose some people are old-fashioned and can't see it like that.
Jesus Duran

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm

3-Eye candy.In these days,digital womens are so beautiful that can be admired like a piece of art.But I supose some people are old-fashioned and can't see it like that.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/5/59/Star_Paladin_Cross_portrait.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php%3Ftopic_id%3D26882431&usg=__RNDM3T7XJksi63mglcWKvONM1Ms=&h=333&w=398&sz=125&hl=en&start=0&sig2=ykNTYbGhgHobuJ3RthsX5Q&zoom=1&tbnid=kG7xldb-A8u1zM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=167&ei=S4CsTK_3CIqisAO2vrWiAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfallout%2B3%2Bwoman%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1278%26bih%3D737%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=129&vpy=253&dur=1006&hovh=205&hovw=245&tx=121&ty=103&oei=S4CsTK_3CIqisAO2vrWiAw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0 or http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/MORIABROWNUGLY.jpg

i have nothing against seeing virtual women as good looking. but the character models are so damn ugly
Laura Cartwright

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas