will you do male or female character ?

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 am

Being a dude, myself - in most games where I have the option, I'll generally stick with my own gender. (Just feels more natural to me - for obvious reasons.) For some reason, however, I almost always end up with female characters in the Fallout games. Going back to the first one, even.

With Fallout 1, I originally started out the very first time designing a male character, and while picking his stats (focusing on high Int, Cha, and Agi at the sake of Str and End,) - as my concept of this character formed around these basic ideas, it just... "felt" like my stats were better describing a female protagonist. (And not to be sixist or make broad generalizations - obviously I could have made a character of any gender with any variety of stats and it would have "fit." It was just, somehow, this female character concept sprung up - and it was more appealing and 3-dimensional a vision than I'd had for my male character.) :shrug:

So anyway, skip forward a decade or so and I have Fallout 3. I originally intended to make a male character - but once again, the further I got into character creation, the more it just "felt" like a female would fit the role I had envisioned in a more compelling way. And the one (rather large) hurdle I ran into was the face creation part. No matter how I tried, I just couldn't get a male face that looked quite right - or that I could be satisfied with. It was much easier (somehow) for me to create a female face using the creation tools, that was rather close to what I'd seen in my head.

So, for New Vegas - I figure it's just fate, at this point. I probably won't even try to make a male character. Somehow, all my Fallout characters end up being female. I think, considering the background I know for the game so far, I'm going to go in a slightly different direction - but even my basic stats haven't changed all that much from the first Fallout game.
Lynne Hinton

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Hmm, those who feels it's "awkward" or "weird" to play as a female can you play games where you are not given a choice for gender and are default with female protagonist?

I think I understand though.
A lot of people play for immersion, which at a lot of times means playing as yourself.
If you are not female then I understand it can feel "off".
But since this is a roleplaying game ya'll should try playing a role that isn't you at some point and at least try a female character. :)
Ryan Lutz

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Hmm, those who feels it's "awkward" or "weird" to play as a female can you play games where you are not given a choice for gender and are default with female protagonist?

final fantasy 13, It svcked but I still beat it, 40 hours I will never get back
NeverStopThe

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Nope. It goes back to my Howard Hughes 1940s opinion on refined masculinity. if you want to do it, thats your call, but in my opinion, I would never do that.
Auguste Bartholdi

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 am

final fantasy 13, It svcked but I still beat it, 40 hours I will never get back

I'm still stuck in that fricking mine you enter not long after the game starts to really open up (supposedly).

Those robots just didn't want to die...or take less than thirty minutes to die anyway. I sent the game back to Gamefly, they're some other poor bastard's problem now.
Stacyia

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

First one, then the other.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:23 pm

male
Big Homie

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 am

Female. All my F3 characters were female, it gave the game a softer edge (esp with Black Widow perk). There is enough testosterone in the game already, it ads another dimension to it.

oh, and while we're at it I'd like to see some promo pics with a female courier in them (please Bethesda?) - all the video promos, screenshots, even pre-order armour are all shots of a hulky male character. Can we see what the female preorder armour looks like please?
brenden casey

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:33 am

Like any game I played that gives me a choice.

First playthrough: male, second: female.

Then the rest is dependent on what I feel like playing as.
Aman Bhattal

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:59 pm

There's already a lot of testosterone already in the game... *stares at Fisto*...
Oh [censored]e.
Amber Ably

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:02 pm

I think I understand though.
A lot of people play for immersion, which at a lot of times means playing as yourself.
If you are not female then I understand it can feel "off".
But since this is a roleplaying game ya'll should try playing a role that isn't you at some point and at least try a female character. :)

Exactly, when i play games like Fallout i like to feel like im really in the game, living this experience. And yes i can play as a female if im not given a choice, my shining example would be one of my all time favorite games Silent Hill 3.
Cccurly

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Exactly, when i play games like Fallout i like to feel like im really in the game, living this experience. And yes i can play as a female if im not given a choice, my shining example would be one of my all time favorite games Silent Hill 3.

Did you ever finish Silent Hill 3?
I always spaz out at the monsters and end up getting killed. >_<
GRAEME

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:04 pm

I will play as a dude. I don't feel comfortable pretending to be a gender that I am not.
Grace Francis

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Did you ever finish Silent Hill 3?
I always spaz out at the monsters and end up getting killed. >_<

Yeah, about 4 going on 5 times. Silent Hill nerd ftw! :disco:
Rach B

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Yeah, about 4 going on 5 times. Silent Hill nerd ftw! :disco:

*sigh*
I so want to play them as well, but my PS2 is.... Around somewhere...
/envious
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 am

I don't know I just feel funny playing a female character, the character is supposed to be an in-game representation of myself and I'm no woman so I stick strictly to a male character modeled after myself. (That is most of the time who knows I may change my mind in this Fallout.) :tops:
Miragel Ginza

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 am

Male, maybe because it's an RPG and I'm male myself. Also I'll be playing on a housemate's xbox and he'll give me hell if I played as a woman
Naughty not Nice

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:28 am

Male every time. I tried creating females in many games but it just doesn't feel badass to me.
LuBiE LoU

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Male
Amy Smith

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I tend to lean towards creating male characters in most games (it usually feels like you're supposed to). Exception with games that encourage different gender choices or allow you to make more than one character or if I just feel like creating a female character. Still tend to pick male and make him look either as normal as possible or as absurd as possible without going too uncanny valley (it creeps me out real bad).

I want to try and make a heartless [censored] named Gravity. She will use heavy weapons and sledgehammers and kill people for looking at her funny.
sally coker

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 am

Likely I'll create my typical Male "mary sue" do-gooder character to clear the game first. Then through other playthroughs I'll just go with whatever strikes my fancy at that particular moment.

To answer the question, both. Most likely slightly favoring male over female.
Lucky Girl

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Mostly female, why not? Black widow was so useful and sometimes funny (Ronald Laren or whateever his name was).
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 am

Male every time. I tried creating females in many games but it just doesn't feel badass to me.

Wow, I would think most people would think a women would be a lot more badass than your generic male..... :shocking:
phil walsh

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 pm

One thing I hope they did is make armor less different between genders. In Fallout 3, I wish I could have used leather armor that looked more similar to the male version when I played a female character. It just looked better to me. According to screenshots and videos, I know that they haven't changed it, but I hope that isn't the case for most other armors.

Also, I can't decide when I should switch to a female character. My first will either be the House playthrough or the solo route, I don't know which will be better. I guess I'll figure it out when I get it.
Colton Idonthavealastna

Post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 am

I usually do not make female characters. It tends to ruin the tone of the game. I know it's just a game but I cannot wrap my head around a danty little female laying waste to raiders with a minigun. It does not go well with my idea of what a female character should be doing in a game. Likewise, I cannot imagine a male character smooth talking people in a wasteland setting. Since I tend to play action-oriented characters, I usually make male characters.

I'm not against playing female characters. From time to time I make badass female characters. It's usually just an issue of changing the pace of the game. For the most part though, I play male characters about 90% of the time.
Claire Jackson

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas