Clarifying blog post on Bethesda Blog

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 am

I don't think an Elder Scrolls MMO should be expected, but I do think it's likely. The MMO market is very full and the Elder Scrolls would help attract attention and customers to ZOS's project. The popularity of the Warcraft setting certainly helped WoW.

The fantasy mmo market is indeed saturated, so I expect if they really want to succeed with it, they'd have to really make it stand out in terms of lore AND gameplay, not to mention avoid a disastrous launch.
evelina c

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 pm

:( That's still not good news. I was hoping they'd be hard at work on a new TES after finishing FO3.

And where in that statement did they say that they weren't hard at work on a new TES?

Pete said,
Todd and Bethesda Game Studios are hard at work on their next big game, and we're not ready to discuss it. As always, we prefer to have something amazing to show when we talk about it. We aren't going to confirm or deny or comment on speculation, nor are we going to give hints about anything. If you know us by now, you know we don't really do that.

Now, that unknown in-house title could be TES:V, it could be the next installation of the Fallout series, or it could be a brand-spanking-new IP they've acquired. While I know ZeniMax just recently acquired a bunch of IPs from iD software, those came into the picture too late to be what they're working on, if they're already in production or "hard at work" (and if they're not in production, then what has Bethesda been doing for over a year?). And further, I don't know that Bethesda has been given any other IPs to work with by ZeniMax in the first place.

So that leaves TES and Fallout. What with the development of Fallout: New Vegas by Obsidian, I don't think it would make a whole lot of sense for Bethesda to make a Fallout 4. It would conflict the interest of Bethesda the developer and Bethesda the publisher, as the games would be in competition with each other. From a marketing standpoint, it would appear to be a Fallout overload.

And now we're left with TES. Purest speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if TES:V is what Todd's team was hard at work on. And they're not going to tell us until they're ready, because as Pete says himself, that's Bethesda's style.
Stacyia

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Damn, i missed this whole drama, i really should look out of the Oblivion forums once in a while, but who in their right minds could have believed that Bethesda would drop ES? You don't kill a chicken laying golden eggs ;)
Lucie H

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:43 am

I'm surprised so much wrath came out of the original misinterpretation. When I read it, all I thought was that the next TES game wouldn't be around until 2014 or 2015. It never occurred to me that they would just drop the IP all together, given the financial success of Oblivion in recent memory. The danger with such a long delay in releasing ANY info is that some people, including myself, are going to stop caring about the announcement or the development of TES V in any capacity. I ran into similar issues with the late Science Fiction program Battlestar Galactica. The hiatuses the show went through were SO long that the effect from the previous seasons cliffhanger was entirely lost. I didn't care after 12 months about the season 4 launch, for example, because I'd more or less moved on. I didn't really feel any need to concern myself with the fate of the series. I'll admit I did watch the final season, I just could have lived if it hadn't existed as well. The problem with TES for me is that I hated Oblivion so much, there's little to keep me interested in this long break. More so because I fear the next installment will simply be Oblivion+ or Oblivion 2 or, god help us, some MMORPG variant. I of course only speak for myself and I'm likely in the minority, but I'm certainly not alone in my feelings.

I like The Elder Scrolls but my life doesn't revolve around it, and at this point I can't say that I'd be inclined to wait to 2013 for a game that will require a 7000$ computer to run that may simply be a rehash of what I already don't like. I applaud the developers in this case for clearing the air however, that's a good move, and more than one could expect from others in the industry. I just wish I had the inclination to hang on indefinitely in the absence of information of any kind. I'll keep an open mind, perhaps in the end that's the best I can do. Time will tell, as they say.
Dezzeh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:44 am

I think they should start from scratch if they are going to do a MMO game. You could still market it as being from Bethesda, but make it a new franchise. Build it from the ground up and leave the TES series alone. To me, the TES series stands out for it's lore and rich history. You make a MMO you lose all of that. I'd hope that the creators have a bit more love for their series than to just let it go by the way side. With all that said, money still drives the business and if attaching TES name to a new MMO means more dollars they may just go that route.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 am

I think they should start from scratch if they are going to do a MMO game. You could still market it as being from Bethesda, but make it a new franchise. Build it from the ground up and leave the TES series alone. To me, the TES series stands out for it's lore and rich history. You make a MMO you lose all of that. I'd hope that the creators have a bit more love for their series than to just let it go by the way side. With all that said, money still drives the business and if attaching TES name to a new MMO means more dollars they may just go that route.

In the first post, Pete clearly said that MMO's are NOT Bethesda's thing, and that if there was an MMO, Zenimax Online would be the studio to develop it. Therefore, I highly doubt Bethesda will develop an MMO (let alone a TES MMO). If anything, Bethesda's role in a TES MMO would be merely advisory with Zenimax Online doing the bulk of the work.

I really wish all this MMO speculation would stop... :rolleyes:
Verity Hurding

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 pm

ES would have to svck to be an MMO. And have these stupid char. models, where they think its cool for whtever reason. no but seriously its not going to happen with TES. making theyll be behind something like tht in the future, but it wouldnt get in the way of them working on fallout or ES, so ya. if there were a multiplayer option i would want an arena thing but once again tht wont happen and who cares. a co-op wont happen either cause then it would prob have to be done similar to Fable which was fine but fable and ES are completely diff. In my imagination an ES co-op game would be cool but its not possible, unless the structure of ES was changed completely.
Imy Davies

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:18 am

Elder scrolls mmo

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/95/potd/1134695493_73.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/obliv.jpg

Shocking isnt it?
Symone Velez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

This thread has drifted quite a bit, if you want to discuss MMORPGs in any depth it really needs to stay in the http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1036432. If MMOs come up in reference to the original topic of what Bethesda is up to that's fine, but it needs to stay attached to the original topic.
Pumpkin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 am

The Elderscrolls series is next in line, I think we might see TES5, then Fallout4, TES6, Fallout5 etc. . .
This is the way to go to keep fans of both series happy.
Bethesda Softworks is supposed to be making some game for Natal, but that will be surely be xbox exclusive which rules out both Fallout and TES which are multiplatform. Most likely it will be some low priority side project (kindergarten style) commissioned by Microsoft.
Max Van Morrison

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Bethesda Softworks is supposed to be making some game for Natal, but that will be surely be xbox exclusive which rules out both Fallout and TES which are multiplatform. Most likely it will be some low priority side project (kindergarten style) commissioned by Microsoft.

We don't know that yet. They are most likely publishing a Natal game.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

We don't know that yet. ......

I know, time and time again they never let us know anything 'till the very last minute, keeping us guessing and second guessing, and making far fetched assumptions that lead us nowhere :goodjob:

Natal is the future of gaming if we are to believe the hype, but I don't believe the hype. Beth will stick to conventional RPGs for their next game I'm sure.
RUby DIaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 pm

I know, time and time again they never let us know anything 'till the very last minute, keeping us guessing and second guessing, and making far fetched assumptions that lead us nowhere :goodjob:

Natal is the future of gaming if we are to believe the hype, but I don't believe the hype. Beth will stick to conventional RPGs for their next game I'm sure.

I can count upcoming Natal games on one hand. The problem is nobody wants to use it until they know it works, and few people are willinmg to take the risk of seeing if it works.
Holli Dillon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:36 am

The danger with such a long delay in releasing ANY info is that some people, including myself, are going to stop caring about the announcement or the development of TES V in any capacity.

Thing is, most of us will go back to caring when the game is announced. Caring matters immediately prior to release, but Bethesda gains nothing from me eagerly anticipating a game that's years out. If anything, there's a bit of risk that folks (other than core fans) will perceive the game as old news by the time release is imminent. I'd cite Dragon Age as a case in point. Early announcement has produced endlessly repetitive discussion and the temptation to release too much spoilerish information prior to release of the actual game. Having folks deciding which NPC they intend to romance prior to release/actually meeting any of the NPCs in-game is not a good thing. (Nor has their ad campaign which has had their community managers crankily telling fans that the ads aren't directed at them and that it's silly of them to make such a fuss.) Frustrating as it often feels, the Bethesda approach has definite advantages.
BaNK.RoLL

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 am

Thing is, most of us will go back to caring when the game is announced. Caring matters immediately prior to release, but Bethesda gains nothing from me eagerly anticipating a game that's years out. If anything, there's a bit of risk that folks (other than core fans) will perceive the game as old news by the time release is imminent. I'd cite Dragon Age as a case in point. Early announcement has produced endlessly repetitive discussion and the temptation to release too much spoilerish information prior to release of the actual game. Having folks deciding which NPC they intend to romance prior to release/actually meeting any of the NPCs in-game is not a good thing. (Nor has their ad campaign which has had their community managers crankily telling fans that the ads aren't directed at them and that it's silly of them to make such a fuss.) Frustrating as it often feels, the Bethesda approach has definite advantages.

Heh. I'm of the opinion Bioware's ad compaign is probably one of the most mis-targetted in the history of gaming. I've no doubt from comments I've seen many are expecting completely different gameplay than what DA has. At any rate, Bethsda's approach certainly didn't hurt Oblivion sales.
Glu Glu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 am

How did this switch to a conversation about Natal? Natal svcks :( , just look at all the "great" games that make "fantastic" new use of the Wii-mote... none? Do you mean to say motion controls are nothing more than another way to add an anolog means of control and don't really add immersiveness??? Why yes, yes that's exactly what I mean.

I'm pretty sure Peter Molyneux is the only guy that's come up with any worthwhile idea for the thing.
*Chloe*

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 am

Well, it wasn't an interview. This is why we generally try only to do interviews by email, whenever possible, because it is inevitable that someone jots down a note based on something we say that is almost, but not entirely, completely incorrect. And then it gets attributed to us as if we DID say it...riots ensue....dogs and cats...living together...mass hysteria.

Deep breaths everyone. Find your happy place again.

Thing is is that even if you were to try doing all that through e-mail even that can have screw ups! The internet is now used more for hacking than anything else, sadly...

I will say this though, and I bet you have done so already, but the trick is to use as little words as possible with people...
lexy

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't understand the majority of developers. No offense. I'm in college right now as an Animation major and I don't understand why all the most recent latent developers feel the need to be so secretive about their bigger titles. Even my professor agrees with me that the things companies like gamesas does with their bigger titles like TES is stupid. It is dumb, and economically deficiting. gamesas, please be like Bungie in the future, hype your games up, and break entertainment sale records. This is just ludicrous. So sick of this he said she said BS with the Elder Scrolls Series.

This is why I love Bungie. They announced a HUGE title before a HUGE one even came out. *cough Halo Reach* If this continues any longer I might not buy the next TES installment. I don't want to know the first things about a new game when it's already 75% done. I'd like to hear the progress, the woes, the developer blog and other stuff while it's being produced so I can know weither or not the title is going to be any good. Again, this is why I love Bungie and pretty much worship the ground they walk on ~ mainly because they're the most successful developers for the last decade and because of everything they do before they release their games.

Heh. I'm of the opinion Bioware's ad compaign is probably one of the most mis-targetted in the history of gaming. I've no doubt from comments I've seen many are expecting completely different gameplay than what DA has. At any rate, Bethsda's approach certainly didn't hurt Oblivion sales.

Oblivion's sales weren't hurt because the TES series still wasn't exactly in the same Leauge as Halo, or Call of Duty, or Splinter Cell when it was released. It wasn't anywhere near that tier of popularity. NOW IT IS, and everything gamesas is doing right now with the TES Secrecy isn't going to help sales of the next TES at all. It's in development. That's definitely a fact, and I'm pretty sure its around 50% done also. There's no way it's not being developed, and there's no WAY it's not that far along. The game is too profitable, and I'm pretty sure ZeniMax would never NOT capitalize on such a huge money tree that TES is.
WYatt REed

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 am

The key is to announce the game not too late, but also not too early. With the popularity of TES, Bethesda will build up hype for the game pretty fast. Even now when there's completely no info on the game, new members in the forum show up curious about it, join the discussion about it. When they will announce the game, they will announce estimated time of release and moving that date would result in negative feedback from the fanbase (well, not the "Take your time" one which is not a majority). Now they don't have that public deadline, so they can arrange it according to how smoothly the progress is going.
With great and very modable games they retain interest in TES even through the silent period. When they release the novels they will acumulate even bigger interest and probably use that opportunity to announce the game. The hype will explode and (given that actual realease date would be within 1 - 1,5 year) will not fade out until the release of the game.
It is not a stupid thing they're doing, it's just sometimes frustrating if you're desperately want some news about the game. And let's be honest here, all that anger about them being secretive will disappear the moment they announce it and they know it :)
Emerald Dreams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 am

I don't understand the majority of developers. No offense. I'm in college right now as an Animation major and I don't understand why all the most recent latent developers feel the need to be so secretive about their bigger titles. Even my professor agrees with me that the things companies like gamesas does with their bigger titles like TES is stupid. It is dumb, and economically deficiting. gamesas, please be like Bungie in the future, hype your games up, and break entertainment sale records. This is just ludicrous. So sick of this he said she said BS with the Elder Scrolls Series.

This is why I love Bungie. They announced a HUGE title before a HUGE one even came out. *cough Halo Reach* If this continues any longer I might not buy the next TES installment. I don't want to know the first things about a new game when it's already 75% done. I'd like to hear the progress, the woes, the developer blog and other stuff while it's being produced so I can know weither or not the title is going to be any good. Again, this is why I love Bungie and pretty much worship the ground they walk on ~ mainly because they're the most successful developers for the last decade and because of everything they do before they release their games.

A fps game like Halo is largely dependant on gameplay mechanics - it's what 99% of the game is based on. Fluid responsive controls, balanced maps, balanced weapons etc. Graphics and game content, although still important, are completely dwarfed by how well such a competetive game plays. Whereas with rpgs it's mainly about the story, the content, the setting, and in our current age - how the new features will be revolutionary to the genre.

Bungie can easily hint at their future Halo games, because fans have a good idea of what to expect. Too much hype about brand new features and gameplay mechanics in rpgs tends to result in fans expecting too much from the game. The game is released, and despite it being a great game, there's an overwhelming feeling of disappointment that these new features didn't come across as well as the hype suggested they would.

Examples:
Radiant AI being massively dumbed down in Oblivion
Fable and Fable 2 from Lionhead. As much as I love the guy for being such a huge innovator, Molyneux never learns. >.<
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 am

Obviously, you're not getting the marketing significance (or the development significance). By avoiding making too early statements about the game, they are allowing themselves to not be beholden to excess fan hype that can negatively affect the development cycle as a whole. And that's very important; it allows them to line all their developmental ducks in a row and make decisions that are for the long-term benefit of the game. Also by not announcing way too early and by holding their cards close to their chest, they are creating a sea of heated anticipation and frustrated desire. As evidenced by your very own post and the post of everyone who posts once a week or so desperately asking for definitive info.

And when they finally flip that switch on, when they finally release a targeted wave of information, even those who claimed to be disgusted with their marketing tactics will become so enthralled with euphoria and even more anticipation/desire (this time, with substantive guarantees), that sales will surge.
Laura Wilson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:10 am

well in reality im sure pete didnt mean wot he said and the websites just changed things, but when besthesda is so secretive wot can we expect, looking at ti now he said thay want to continue the elderscrolls which by the way is the best game series bethesda will ever make, but im reading the book now infernal city which rules, but back to the point. he said it will continue yeh but was as book? or an mmo which these two are looking more and more likly, i would love to hope it will continue as a rpg with maybe a multiplayer part but lets keep the game what it is, cause as a massive fan of the elderscrolls bethesda will lsoe me even if im just one guy, if thay make it a mmo or put guns into the game it will destroy the imaginative style of the game plus we have loads of mmos and gun games lets keep it the way the fans love it.
p.s comon how lnog will we have to wait for a new tes oblivion was released in 2006 or maybe thay really have no intention of making another just stringing us along because there making all these new games, i.e brink ect and even fallout, but at the same time bioware is catchin my eye with mass effect 2 coming soon and dragon age which is pritty good. just my view but i do not blame todd or pete for wot that said, people try catchin weaknesses in what you might say and change it, comon the news is good at that
Amy Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:34 am

well in reality im sure pete didnt mean wot he said and the websites just changed things, but when besthesda is so secretive wot can we expect, looking at ti now he said thay want to continue the elderscrolls which by the way is the best game series bethesda will ever make, but im reading the book now infernal city which rules, but back to the point. he said it will continue yeh but was as book? or an mmo which these two are looking more and more likly, i would love to hope it will continue as a rpg with maybe a multiplayer part but lets keep the game what it is, cause as a massive fan of the elderscrolls bethesda will lsoe me even if im just one guy, if thay make it a mmo or put guns into the game it will destroy the imaginative style of the game plus we have loads of mmos and gun games lets keep it the way the fans love it.
p.s comon how lnog will we have to wait for a new tes oblivion was released in 2006 or maybe thay really have no intention of making another just stringing us along because there making all these new games, i.e brink ect and even fallout, but at the same time bioware is catchin my eye with mass effect 2 coming soon and dragon age which is pritty good. just my view but i do not blame todd or pete for wot that said, people try catchin weaknesses in what you might say and change it, comon the news is good at that

This should go in the Speculation thread >__<
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 am

I'd cite Dragon Age as a case in point. Early announcement has produced endlessly repetitive discussion and the temptation to release too much spoilerish information prior to release of the actual game. Having folks deciding which NPC they intend to romance prior to release/actually meeting any of the NPCs in-game is not a good thing. (Nor has their ad campaign which has had their community managers crankily telling fans that the ads aren't directed at them and that it's silly of them to make such a fuss.)

This really bothered me about BioWare's forums. I always felt as if the developers were treating the members like they're idiots. Since the trailers feature Marylin Manson, everyone assumes Marylin Manson music will be in the game. But then the developers swoop in and tear you to pieces for falling for their misleading ad campaign. But I suppose I should not go off topic.

I just hope that we get some news on something. A new game, even if it's not Elder Scrolls (blasphemy, I know), perhaps. Just something...
Setal Vara

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Your powers of necromancy are amazing. Please teach me.

I like how you created a problem, then complained about it in a single paragraph.
Emmie Cate

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion