Clarifying blog post on Bethesda Blog

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 am

Am I the only one who translated this as: "Elder scrolls 5 is going to be announced and Zenimax online are working on an ES MMO"?

I doubt that they will have a Tes MMO as well as a regular TES. It just seems too much.
Lucky Boy

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks a lot for this clarification.
I must say this was the first time I witnessed the power of misleading information in www. And it is sad a bit, that so many game portals around the world base their news on a single article, that additionally has almost no quotes and very unclear transmission, and not on the official announcements. That they are very fast with releasing such news, and very lazy with taking back their words. However, the good thing is that there also many people, TES fans, who can read between the lines of such news and do not believe in everything what others may say until it is officially confirmed.
Laura Cartwright

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:20 am

Phew, thanks. I'm relieved now. ^^)
Enny Labinjo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 am

I doubt that they will have a Tes MMO as well as a regular TES. It just seems too much.

MMOs take a lot of time to make even if both games started development at the same time the MMO could still come out years later, I wouldn't be surprised if they have already been working on the MMO for quite some time.
danni Marchant

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

:celebration: :foodndrink: :celebrate: :bigsmile: :dancing: :twirl:
I was worried for a sec :lmao:
:woot: :clap: :D
Cameron Garrod

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 pm

finally, this thing is cleared up i was getting really sick of some people weeping over exaggerated comments
Amy Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 am

Thank god for this, this shows that beth cares about their fans. Thank you.
Rachel Briere

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 am

Happies! <3
Isabella X

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 pm

If the community didn't keep blowing things out of proportion, this wouldn't happen. ?_?
Sammygirl

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am

Ugh... if only the other websites that blew this whole thing out of porportion had the common sense to investigate it further and actually go on the blog. But no... oh these "reporters" always go for the most incriminating and least true part of a story and then don't always take initiative to find out if their sources were true or not or if there was an official annnouncement. But that's me hating the general media. Stupid media.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up!.
Rude_Bitch_420

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 am

Whew! I consider myself a jaded gamer, but wow, when I read the "news" floating around about "No TES V," I was shocked! Then I thought, nah, can't be true, the TES series is so hugely popular. Set my heart racing for a minute or two, though...

Thank you for the clarification! I can now return to my regularly scheduled Oblivion game. :)
Pixie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks, Matt - great to hear it from the proverbial horse's mouth - and doubly reassuring that there definitely will be a future TES game. :)

Woohoo! :celebration:
Elena Alina

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

I read the interview, but people actually thought there would never be a TES:V? Haha.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:47 am

I must say this was the first time I witnessed the power of misleading information in www.

I think it's unfortunately rather common:

http://screencrave.com/2009-07-01/votd-jeff-goldblum-confirms-his-own-death/

I will be missed.

:D

Heheheh ... still, it's all been resolved happily. Good job the next one's not out for a while - I still haven't finished KOTN (though I've started it about eight or nine times now.)
Brιonα Renae

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 am

I think it's unfortunately rather common:

http://screencrave.com/2009-07-01/votd-jeff-goldblum-confirms-his-own-death/

:) Well, I guess I am not a www-guy and do not spend so much time on the web. But actually I meant that it was the first time I was able to see the process from the very beginning right to the end. And it was a very happy end! Now at least there is a hope ;] Once again, many thanks to Bethesda and Pete!
Max Van Morrison

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 am

Panic over, eh. Although anyone who seriously thought that Bethesda would finish with The Elder Scrolls was wandering down Sheogorath's Golden Road.

Also; boo hiss at lousy journalism.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 am

Indeed. I doubt they'd water down their main franchise with an mmo (atleast I hope), a Fallout MMO is more likely I think.
Nikki Hype

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Well, being the experienced Beth fan that I am, I translated "next big game" to be TESV because we all that it will be.
Sarah Knight

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

MMOs take a lot of time to make even if both games started development at the same time the MMO could still come out years later, I wouldn't be surprised if they have already been working on the MMO for quite some time.

And they have been working on TES V since Oblivion.
Rob Davidson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 pm

I still think the devs have no idea what they're doing. I mean, you have one guy saying "potential 2010 date" then we have "no future plans" then we have "no plans for an Elderscrolls" and then we have "that's not what me meant, of course we're making another one, we just don't want to say when or how much is finished"

I mean, seriously, they throw out so much useless information, and apparently withhold any solid dates to "prevent" angering fans if that date is not met.

Well, they get plenty angry when you have all kinds of half-statements that may or may not be true. How about saying "TES V has been in development since the completion of Oblivion, and we are preparing to release it within the next 2 years"

OR "We are too busy making other games we haven't realized people don't care about, so it's gonna be another 4-6 years. Please don't tell our investors"
XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm

I still think the devs have no idea what they're doing. I mean, you have one guy saying "potential 2010 date" then we have "no future plans" then we have "no plans for an Elderscrolls" and then we have "that's not what me meant, of course we're making another one, we just don't want to say when or how much is finished"

The oft-quoted "2010" date was 1. pretty shaky at source, 2. generally misquoted, 3. made so long ago that it's long passed from any relevance and 4. only ever "potential".

I mean, seriously, they throw out so much useless information, and apparently withhold any solid dates to "prevent" angering fans if that date is not met.

Which is completely unreasonable, because Internet People never get angry.

Well, they get plenty angry when you have all kinds of half-statements that may or may not be true. How about saying "TES V has been in development since the completion of Oblivion, and we are preparing to release it within the next 2 years"

If each game takes on average 5 years to make, then you're not going to announce it halfway through development, or you end up like Alan Wake with everyone staring at it and anything can happen (as it did with that game) because you just don't know what curveballs are going to be thrown at you while you're making the damn thing. Best to announce it when you know you're no more than a year or so away, when you have something definite and real to show, and you're not going to say "within the next 2 years" and then find out - oh snap! like with Oblivion - that there's something up that means you can't release it on schedule and have to pull it back for another 6 months. Notice no such delays with Fallout 3, and how although they were forced to announce it pretty early on, they didn't actually start talking about it until only a year or so before release?

OR "We are too busy making other games we haven't realized people don't care about, so it's gonna be another 4-6 years. Please don't tell our investors"

I find it unlikely that they're going to announce that they're busy making games that they haven't realised other people don't care about, because I think people care very much about the last big game they released - the investors must be pleased as punch - and they're not actually making the likes of WET (even though people also seem to care quite a lot about that too).

:shrug:
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 am

thanks for the clarification.
Jessica Lloyd

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 am

I was about to post if anyone had a copy of the 'exact' Q&A(?), because obviously people would be blowing this out of proportion.

At least the sig is still awesome.

Haha, great line. And great comic.
Dona BlackHeart

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:52 am

Do you think they'll announce ESV (or whatever their next game is) in the same time interval that Fallout 3 was announced?
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks so much for clearing it up Pete, I and I'm sure everyone else really appreciates it!
Liii BLATES

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion