Clarifying blog post on Bethesda Blog

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 am

Following some reactions to Todd Howard's QuakeCon appearance, we thought we'd set the record straight on some things brought up regarding the future of The Elder Scrolls. Pete put up a blog post up this afternoon. For your convenience, I've posted it below.

Here it is....
Apparently some folks got a bit upset by reports based on Todd's talk at QuakeCon last week. An article came out where Todd was quoted as saying we had no plans for a TES V. He did not say that. That was not a direct quote from him. That was someone's interpretation of what he said. I know, I was there.

At his QuakeCon talk he was asked when TESV is coming out and Todd replied, "Don't look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future." He also went on to say how much the franchise means to us and that it definitely will continue. He just wasn't going to provide any timeframe on "when." This should not be news to anyone that has been paying attention. Both Todd and I have said repeatedly that, of course, we're going to do another Elder Scrolls game. The last one was enormously popular. So was the one before that. You get the idea. So do we.

Todd and Bethesda Game Studios are hard at work on their next big game, and we're not ready to discuss it. As always, we prefer to have something amazing to show when we talk about it. We aren't going to confirm or deny or comment on speculation, nor are we going to give hints about anything. If you know us by now, you know we don't really do that.

In regards to the MMO comment, he was asked if there was "any chance of an Elder Scrolls MMO" and he replied ? in a joking fashion ? by saying "I guess there's a chance." To be clear, Todd and his team do not make MMOs, for any franchise, at all. We have another division ? ZeniMax Online Studios ? which is lead by Matt Firor, and they are working on an MMO. They have not said anything about what game they are making. When ZeniMax Online is ready to show what they are up to, we'll let everyone know. Until then we aren't going to provide hints or speculate on what they're doing either.

Hope that helps clear things up.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/08/17/clarifying-about-next-elder-scrolls-game-mmo-etc/
Blessed DIVA

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 am

I love you, G man. Bout' time this stupid crap got shut up, despite all my and other forum members trying! :)
IM NOT EASY

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks, Matt - great to hear it from the proverbial horse's mouth - and doubly reassuring that there definitely will be a future TES game. :)
Kari Depp

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 am

Well, that clear many things up. Thank freaken gosh.
kyle pinchen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:34 am

Very nice. Thank you for the clarification. Can't wait for more news when it's made available.
Quick Draw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:04 am

Clearly it is a situation of quotes being taken out of context. Thanks for clearing this up and be careful so this doesn't happen again so that fans don't get upset, freak out, complain etc. I wouldn't want something bad to happen to Bethesda if a quote was taken out of context. Basically, be careful with interviews, really careful.
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am

Thank you for the update...and for confirming what we've been trying to convince others.
Angela

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh well, too bad some threads were locked, no one gets to go back and say "Told you so". :D Thanks Gstaff! :)
m Gardner

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 am

Clearly it is a situation of quotes being taken out of context. Thanks for clearing this up and be careful so this doesn't happen again so that fans don't get upset, freak out, complain etc. I wouldn't want something bad to happen to Bethesda if a quote was taken out of context. Basically, be careful with interviews, really careful.

I don't think the interview reaction was really Todd's fault...websites misquoted it, then people took the incorrect quote and blew it out of proportion without any proof, and then crazy people refused to even acknowledge the large amount of reasons to stay calm that people were constantly replying with. It was rather out of Bethesda's hands.
Heather beauchamp

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:21 am

I love you, G man. Bout' time this stupid crap got shut up, despite all my and other forum members trying! :)

Yes enough of people whining about the TESMMO and TESV not coming out ! YEAAAAAAAA!
MatthewJontully

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 am

Well, it wasn't an interview. This is why we generally try only to do interviews by email, whenever possible, because it is inevitable that someone jots down a note based on something we say that is almost, but not entirely, completely incorrect. And then it gets attributed to us as if we DID say it...riots ensue....dogs and cats...living together...mass hysteria.

Deep breaths everyone. Find your happy place again.
Jerry Cox

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 am

Now we can panic about finding Pete a new avatar.
bimsy

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:15 pm

At least the sig is still awesome.
I love YOu

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't think the interview reaction was really Todd's fault...websites misquoted it, then people took the incorrect quote and blew it out of proportion without any proof, and then crazy people refused to even acknowledge the large amount of reasons to stay calm that people were constantly replying with. It was rather out of Bethesda's hands.

I never blamed him at all. I completely agree with what you said. My point was to be more careful about what they say to never give websites the chance to do that. I wouldn't have expected a website to do that at first but now that we know they will Bethesda should just be a little more cautious about what they say. Basically, try to avoid the subject of TES V and an TES as an MMO as much as possible and make sure to be very careful when talking about them, but no, this wasn't Bethesda's fault.
Nice one

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:52 am

Ehhh, such place exist?
Kay O'Hara

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 am

Well, it wasn't an interview. This is why we generally try only to do interviews by email, whenever possible, because it is inevitable that someone jots down a note based on something we say that is almost, but not entirely, completely incorrect. And then it gets attributed to us as if we DID say it...riots ensue....dogs and cats...living together...mass hysteria.

Part of a ghostbusters quote
Anyhow we can feel relieved some people can take a deep breath now!
mishionary

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:21 am

Yeah, crazy media throwing everyone and everything off base. >.<
TRIsha FEnnesse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I suspected Bethesda's typical 'nothing to announce' line was misquoted or misinterpreted. Glad to hear it's official!
Syaza Ramali

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 am

:nuke: :brokencomputer:
Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:17 am

At least the sig is still awesome.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Aye, that it is.
Kara Payne

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 am

Princess Stomper's happy place is too happy. Everybody back to the panic room!
Brian Newman

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Great news! Yay!

I think this whole episode of how a misquote can attract just as much attention as an accurate quote. It goes to show that interviewers/reporters will leap on even the smallest misunderstanding and spin it all out or proportion, no matter how wrong it is.
Benito Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:32 am

Ahh, generous clarification. Much appreciated.
Mark Hepworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:47 am

Princess Stomper's happy place is too happy. Everybody back to the panic room!

*secures vault door, guides people to their bunks*

We're good down here chief. Ready to go nuclear on your order.
celebrity

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Looking at the quote, the impression I got was already that Todd Howard was not saying that the Elder Scrolls franchise would be dropped, he simply meant that a new game would not be released soon. But it's good to see this cleared up once and for all. I never did think Bethesda would stop making the Elder Scrolls any time soon.
Caroline flitcroft

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion