Clarifying blog post on Bethesda Blog

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 am

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Gamebryo is a decent engine with high accessibility for our modders community and on top of that, very flexible.
Also, you might like Unreal, but you'd be shocked by the result of Bethesda+Unreal. There's really no guarantee they fit together.
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Don't hate me for this, but i agree with GHE, it's not yet time for them to change their engine, maybe TES VI but not TES V, not only have they started getting seriously good with it, but they probably don't have the time for the new engines, they probably started work on TES V from the end of TES IV, from there they probably had a small team working out the basics of TES V like story, background ideas etc. Not to mention the considerable amount of time they would need to get good with the other engines, it would start taxing heavily on development progress.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 am

Half of Gamebryo's "problems" aren't really Gamebryo's problems. They are easily solved by Bethesda either purchasing licenses for Gamebryo-compliant 3rd party programs *cough*UMBRA*cough* or learning to properly use what's already there.
Mason Nevitt

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

It is a real shame that topics like this one are necessary... it really goes to show what little understanding people in general have of how business works.

#1. The Elder Scrolls is the single largest source of income for Bethesda. They will continue to make games in this series until people no longer want them.
#2. MMO and FPAR (that's First Person Adventure Role which is the phrase I have coined to describe TES) game types are never designed by the same team. This is because they run off of completely different game engines and have completely different structures and programming. In most cases you can't even use the same textures. If there will be an Elder Scrolls MMO it will be developed completely independently from the FPAR game and therefore will have no impact on the timing of release.
#3. Conjecture, argument, and rumors are the single greatest form of free advertising available. All they have to do is make a statement that tickles your imagination and you immediately tell all your friends.

Now that I have explained Game Studio 101, hopefully people will be able to read and understand future comments, interviews, and blogs by the Devs.

Cheers!
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:08 am

So i guess there is an Elder Scrolls V but not in a while.
P PoLlo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 am

This is the only semi- official , but still only, confirmation.
Josh Dagreat

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 am

Reading the forum make's the wait even longer...
Francesca

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 am

Not quite. Bethesda hasn't just started working on ESV when Zenimax aquired id. Bethesda is also very familiar with Gamebryo, they aren't just going to drop it. It's likely they'll get advice and some bits from id's code into ESV, but they aren't going to switch engines entirely. Ashley Cheng also stated that they are comfortable with Gamebryo right now, and are not planning to switch.

Yeah, there was a team working on Fallout 3 while the rest of Bethesda finished Oblivion, and shortly after Oblivion was released Fallout 3 was able to enter full production. Chances are Bethesda accomplished this with their next title as well, getting through most of the pre-production while Fallout 3 was being finished - which would mean it's been in probably been in full production for nine or ten months. This would mean that the groundwork for the engine was in place before id joined Zenimax. Switching to idtech would scrap a lot of work they'd already completed which doesn't make much sense.

Don't hate me for this, but i agree with GHE, it's not yet time for them to change their engine, maybe TES VI but not TES V, not only have they started getting seriously good with it, but they probably don't have the time for the new engines, they probably started work on TES V from the end of TES V, from there they probably had a small team working out the basics of TES V like story, background ideas etc. Not to mention the considerable amount of time they would need to get good with the other engines, it would start taxing heavily on development progress.

Fallout 3 is using an upgraded version of the Oblivion engine, and Fallout New Vegas is uses a tweaked version of the Fallout 3 engine. However I think FONV is the last time we'll be seeing it. I suspect Bethesda's next game will use a new engine and be released for next generation consoles (and the PC). It's certainly possible that they'll try and get one more game out of the engine, and it wouldn't surprise me to see this, but I just think a new engine is more likely.

Assuming they've started work on a new engine already it's almost certainly Gamebyro. They had no close relationship with id software but they would have started this and, as I said before, it doesn't make sense to scrap what they've accomplished. However, the next time they start an engine from scratch I think there's a good chance that they'll use an idtech engine. While they do have a lot of familiarity with Gamebyro they can get idtech for free, so it is not only more economical but it would also serve as 'advertisemant' of id's engine.
Anna Watts

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, there was a team working on Fallout 3 while the rest of Bethesda finished Oblivion, and shortly after Oblivion was released Fallout 3 was able to enter full production. Chances are Bethesda accomplished this with their next title as well, getting through most of the pre-production while Fallout 3 was being finished - which would mean it's been in probably been in full production for nine or ten months. This would mean that the groundwork for the engine was in place before id joined Zenimax. Switching to idtech would scrap a lot of work they'd already completed which doesn't make much sense.

Exactly. But do you think Bethesda will take some bits and advice from id into their next game?
FABIAN RUIZ

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:55 am

Exactly. But do you think Bethesda will take some bits and advice from id into their next game?

I don't really understand the scenario you are suggesting. I doubt id software has any experience working with gamebryo, and I don't see Bethesda wanting (or needing) to consult them on general programming issues.

Now, if Bethesda was using idtech I imagine there would be a lot of discussion back and forth between the two companies about using the engine, but that simply isn't the case.
Lisha Boo

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 am

I don't really understand the scenario you are suggesting. I doubt id software has any experience working with gamebryo, and I don't see Bethesda wanting (or needing) to consult them on general programming issues.

Now, if Bethesda was using idtech I imagine there would be a lot of discussion back and forth between the two companies about using the engine, but that simply isn't the case.

So, it's also doubtful that Bethesda will take a bit of code or something from id Tech 5 into Gamebryo for their next game?
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 am

Oblivion and Fallout 3 play well on xbox 360 and PS3. The engine in use now is already pushing these platforms to their limit. The new PCs however can easely out perform those platforms but Beth
seem a bit reluctant to make a game that will look state of the art on pc and mediocre on the 360 and PS3 so they'll moste likely avoid using directx 10 or even directx 11 for any new games untill PS4 and the next Xbox appears on the market. Didn't Beth state around the release of the 360, that they were aiming to put atleast one more elderscrolls game out there during the 360s lifespan? Most likely they are working on tes5 but if it's true that they bought the licence to make Prey2, then who knows? Time will tell.
Stacyia

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 am

Most likely they are working on tes5 but if it's true that they bought the licence to make Prey2, then who knows? Time will tell.

Bethesda most likely won't be making Prey 2. id will.
Ally Chimienti

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 am

So i guess there is an Elder Scrolls V but not in a while.

Yeah my guess is it's going to be a few years, but as long as they get the beards right this time(complete with beard length adjuster) I'll give them slack with how long it takes.
Eibe Novy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 am

So, it's also doubtful that Bethesda will take a bit of code or something from id Tech 5 into Gamebryo for their next game?

I don't think that would be terribly easy to accomplish.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 play well on xbox 360 and PS3. The engine in use now is already pushing these platforms to their limit. The new PCs however can easely out perform those platforms but Beth seem a bit reluctant to make a game that will look state of the art on pc and mediocre on the 360 and PS3 so they'll moste likely avoid using directx 10 or even directx 11 for any new games untill PS4 and the next Xbox appears on the market. Didn't Beth state around the release of the 360, that they were aiming to put atleast one more elderscrolls game out there during the 360s lifespan?

This was mentioned, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see one more title with their current engine.

Most likely they are working on tes5 but if it's true that they bought the licence to make Prey2, then who knows? Time will tell.

Bethesda has probably been working on their next game a for a while now, and Zenimax only just acquired the license.

Id also has a very full plate so I doubt they have any plans to make Prey 2. I'd guess they'll license this out to a third party developer and Bethesda will publish it.
phillip crookes

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Bethesda has probably been working on their next game a for a while now, and Zenimax only just acquired the license.

Id also has a very full plate so I doubt they have any plans to make Prey 2. I'd guess they'll license this out to a third party developer and Bethesda will publish it.

Yes good point, you're probably right about that.
Setal Vara

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

Am I the only one who translated this as: "Elder scrolls 5 is going to be announced and Zenimax online are working on an ES MMO"?

They said Zenimax Online is working on an MMO they didn't say for what franchise so I wouldn't expect to be an TES MMO. Read the OP again if you think I'm trying to BS you.
Chris Jones

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 am

They said Zenimax Online is working on an MMO they didn't say for what franchise so I wouldn't expect to be an TES MMO.

not quite seeing the logic nevermind, I get it now :lightbulb:
Ellie English

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm

They said Zenimax Online is working on an MMO they didn't say for what franchise so I wouldn't expect to be an TES MMO.

I don't think an Elder Scrolls MMO should be expected, but I do think it's likely. The MMO market is very full and the Elder Scrolls would help attract attention and customers to ZOS's project. The popularity of the Warcraft setting certainly helped WoW.

You don't suggest this, but I know some people are worried that an Elder Scrolls MMO would put future TES titles by Bethesda on hold. However I imagine launching an Elder Scrolls MMO while people are exciting about a recent or upcoming TES title could be a marketing grand slam.
sw1ss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 am

I highly doubt they'd do that at this point, look at the reaction everyone had,
i think everyone pretty much made it clear that we don't want an ES MMO.
Dorian Cozens

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 am

A majority have voiced their opinions as to their oppositon to an MMO. However I think it's safe to say that if an MMO happened a large amount of those opposed would still sign up to it. Besides, very few developers have MMO's running alongside stand alone games each set in the same in game world so suffice it to say I think the announcement of one would be bad news for the other.
Amber Hubbard

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 am

Don't pretend like you speak for everyone. I would personally love an Elder Scrolls MMO. Your opinion might be popular on these forums, but all of us forum users combined are only a very small fraction of a percent of the total fanbase.

I guess I'm one of the few sane people who understand that an MMO developed by a totally different studio would have zero effect on Bethesda's games. The main series and a potential MMO are two entirely seperate things, and miraculously I would be able to enjoy experiences.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am

:( That's still not good news. I was hoping they'd be hard at work on a new TES after finishing FO3.
Bereket Fekadu

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 am

*wipes brow*

Phew
Sweet Blighty

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:11 pm

I highly doubt they'd do that at this point, look at the reaction everyone had,
i think everyone pretty much made it clear that we don't want an ES MMO.
A majority have voiced their opinions as to their oppositon to an MMO. However I think it's safe to say that if an MMO happened a large amount of those opposed would still sign up to it. Besides, very few developers have MMO's running alongside stand alone games each set in the same in game world so suffice it to say I think the announcement of one would be bad news for the other.

As Redek points out there are plenty of people on these forums who would be interested in an Elder Scrolls MMORPG, and even if the majority responding to this issue don't like the idea they aren't necessarily representative of the overall fan base. Speaking personally, I don't like games with monthly fees, and even ignoring that MMOs don't really interest me.

I guess I'm one of the few sane people who understand that an MMO developed by a totally different studio would have zero effect on Bethesda's games. The main series and a potential MMO are two entirely seperate things, and miraculously I would be able to enjoy experiences.

I'm sure an Elder Scrolls MMORPG would have some impact on a game made by Bethesda, but it doesn't mean it would be significant or even wholly negative. In fact a successful Elder Scrolls MMORPG could even translate in to more resources for the core series.
James Rhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion