Does everyone speak English now?

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 am

Exactly. Opinions are opinions. Nobody can tell you what your opinion of anything should be. But good god, if I posted all my blanket statements here I'd be the most hated person on the forums.

I'd just make fun of you. Hate takes too much effort.
Lucky Boy

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:26 am

Fun is fun, it is not necessarily always going to be a mental exercise that "embiggens" you. It's just fun and relaxing, refreshes your outlook, gives you pleasure.

For example, I just spent three hours poisoning guards in Oblivion, and now I'm off to read War and Peace.

I'm still a a loss as to how a thread about singing in your own language turned into this...
RUby DIaz

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 am

So, in essence, the only reason you don't read things like Twilight is because you want to look clever, rather than based on the individual merits of the works themselves?

I don't know about you, but I read books, play games and watch movies because I like them, I don't do it out of a need to appear sophisticated.

Now, listening to Westlife may not look as fancy as listening to Arctic blwjobs or whatnot, but I enjoy it, and that's quite enough in my book.

How in the world do we go from me not understanding the appeal of Twilight to me trying to look clever and sophisticated? You're pulling too much out of my posts.

You have every right to your opinion, but I'm sure most people on this forum can agree that blanket statements about any group of people being inferior is something that is not welcome on this forum.

What group of inferior people?
x a million...

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Re-rail?

I heard from some foreign singers that overall voice quality is more common for many Americans. Something having to do with the general accent, keeping an open throat as opposed to something more constricted or guttural.
Benji

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

This is how, Turns-the-Page.

Its swedish.

And what gives is crappy Americanised music has crushed the creativity of half the planet.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. Of all the cultures to embrace, they want the most superficial?

There's nothing inherently wrong with Anmerican culture and music, I like a lot of it, but its just a shame to think how much good music in other languages never gets to see the light of day because everyone's obsessed with making it big in America.

If you can keep your opinions related to the specific type of music and not bash a particular country as "superficial", which is untrue, then this could be an interesting conversation.

And it all went down-hill from there.
Miss K

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:50 am

This is how, Turns-the-Page.

And it all went down-hill from there.

Hmm. That would kinda make it look like it was my fault. Bah. I was't saying all of American music was crappy, its jyust that in my experience its the crappy stuff the foreigners aspire to. Who knows how many musical genres might be strong if western society hadn't become homogenised in this way? For me, its always more about variety, not quality. Beethoven would start to annoy classical music enthusiasts if there was nothing but Beethoven.
butterfly

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 am

Well, I thought everything has been nail-on-target. I don't see any derail anywhere.
Taylor Tifany

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:30 am

Wanna know why so many foreign artists aspire to "American" ideals for entertainment? I'ts because America is the Entertainment Industry. That is by far our biggest business, unfortunately, and our main export to the rest of ya'll (next to military weapons, of course). And then foreigners are under the impression that if they can make it big in America, they can make it big anywhere.

What a lot of people fail to realise, like I said before, is that America has the farthest thing from a homogenous culture. Anyone here even stepped foot into Central Texas? We love Texas more than we love America. Our music is different, our fairs are different, our accent is different, our food is different. When people think "America" they think L.A or New York, not Austin or Kansas City.
Steve Fallon

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

Hmm. That would kinda make it look like it was my fault. Bah. I was't saying all of American music was crappy, its jyust that in my experience its the crappy stuff the foreigners aspire to. Who knows how many musical genres might be strong if western society hadn't become homogenised in this way? For me, its always more about variety, not quality. Beethoven would start to annoy classical music enthusiasts if there was nothing but Beethoven.

That's a kinder, gentler way to say it all over again.
Chris Guerin

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:39 am

That's a kinder, gentler way to say it all over again.

Gentler way than what? This is what I don't understand, how everyone has got so worked up about this. I don't see what there is to get worked up about.
Rudi Carter

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 am

Gentler way than what? This is what I don't understand, how everyone has got so worked up about this. I don't see what there is to get worked up about.

You talkin bad 'bout 'Merica!
George PUluse

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 am

You talkin bad 'bout 'Merica!

Why are you talkin' like Jethro Bodeen?
Kari Depp

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Why are you talkin' like Jethro Bodeen?

Just my way of mocking anybody getting angry over anything anti-america.

LET'S DROP IT RIGHT HERE.
Kerri Lee

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Drop it, right after you picked up the flamethrower?
casey macmillan

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 am

Drop it, right after you picked up the flamethrower?

Yup. I need another warning like I need my right nut dead.
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:20 am

Anyway, this topic has served its purpose. Questions answered. Thanks everyone.
ImmaTakeYour

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:30 am

There's nothing wrong with being anti-America. The reasons behind a person's feelings can be a little stupid, but there is nothing overtly wrong with it.
Naomi Ward

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 am

turns-the-page, isn't it the responsibility of smaller or foreign artists to create their own music. Half of the cultural steamroll issue is meta-music and the other half is the people that would give their left foot to be a part of that system. Pop is not the pinnacle of music just because it is a big target with great benefits, and responsible artists should recognize that.

Many probably do, which is why unique cultural music probably stays local and is not broadcast around the world like a showpiece. Or it is, and every other person has no patience to respect the sound.
Mariaa EM.

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:30 am

Many probably do, which is why unique cultural music probably stays local and is not broadcast around the world like a showpiece. Or it is, and every other person has no patience to respect the sound.

Eh you're probably right. I just wish radio stations and the like would be more willing to give this stuff a showing.
Anna Kyselova

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 am

singing = / = understanding or even competency in that language

Just because I can repeat the words of a song doesn't mean I can speak the language it's being spoken in
WTW

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am

singing = / = understanding or even competency in that language

Just because I can repeat the words of a song doesn't mean I can speak the language it's being spoken in

I can probobally sayy one or two words from songs.
Ich will de sonne. I think thats how I would say I want the sun. Not useful but still I learned something, even if it is uselless. I wouldnt mind learning, french and italian though thinking of it, both countries seem like nice places to live.

Except the de part, I was right, now I need to learn how to say the in German.
Ally Chimienti

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 am

Eh you're probably right. I just wish radio stations and the like would be more willing to give this stuff a showing.

I can understand radio stations not playing local music. They need rating to stay on the air, so they play the music the people want to hear. Which, at the moment, happens to be Pop/Hip-Hop/Rap/ect ect.
WTW

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:52 am

I can understand radio stations not playing local music. They need rating to stay on the air, so they play the music the people want to hear. Which, at the moment, happens to be Pop/Hip-Hop/Rap/ect ect.

Thing is, when one of our radio stations stopped playing Lady Gaga long enough to play Chippie Tea by The Lancashire Hotpots, they got a lot of positive feedback. So its not like the demand isn't there.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 am

Thing is, when one of our radio stations stopped playing Lady Gaga long enough to play Chippie Tea by The Lancashire Hotpots, they got a lot of positive feedback. So its not like the demand isn't there.

Then that's what their audience wanted to hear at the time. But if they switched over to pure local music, they would lose a portion of their audience.

I mean, if 103.5 BobFM stopped playing just random songs from the last 60 years, they would lose a huge chunk of their audience. This is why we have dedicated radio stations.
Donald Richards

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 am

Alright, let's have a little thought experiment, shall we?

Let's remove America from musical history altogether, which is really all that can be done to stop people from enjoying American music.

We would no longer have jazz, blues, rock, fusion, metal, gospel, grunge or punk.

I don't immediately see how that would somehow increase the diversity of music, do you?
Maddy Paul

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games