Does everyone speak English now?

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm

It does to me. I don't understand why people around the world like Spears' music, either. Kinda like eating cake for dinner.

What's your [censored] problem with having cake for dinner? You've just crossed a boundary..

:cake:

And why has this thread turned into a discussion of Twilight? I thought it was about people singing songs from other countries instead of their own at the start?

Everything is always about Twillight.

Maybe that's the secret appeal....

It's the Mary Sue factor, as I stated already. The main character is basically face- and otherwise feature-less. She doesn't have a personality, just traces of things about every girl might relate to. They can just put themselves in Bella's role and pretend that their dreams come true. Pure wish-fulfilment fantasy. So basically they enjoy it because it's so shallow that they can dig their own depth in it.

Just like...Halo is for men :gasp:
I never made this connection before, but it's so bloody obvious.
Hayley O'Gara

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 am

I'm forced to think about what I've done every day of the week, and that is actually having read the damned thing.

I only did it for an A and some cake anyway, and the greatness of that book is in no way related to the actual content of it.

Yeah, it sounds and reads like a really horrible fanfiction, though nowhere on the level of My Immortal.
Kayla Keizer

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 am

Just like...Halo is for men :gasp:
I never made this connection before, but it's so bloody obvious.

Not really the best comparison. Games are an active medium, you really play the role of the main character and accomplish - in more or less abstract form - what they do. Passive media like films and books really have to try to become this bad. Character-based fiction is usually the best, where every chess piece has its set of possible movements, every character their motivations. Irrational behaviour like in the Twilight books is akin to a six-year old telling his dreams of dinosaurs and then we fly and crashed into Optimus Prime battling Godzilla and then there were cookies raining!
But enough about Twilight, I wrote a term paper about this stuff. I'm still not sure whether the grade was worth the pain.
N3T4

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 pm

I have to agree on that. Now you don't have to like any particular aspect of a certain culture, but calling it superficial is just offensive to those who are part of it, and is never a good way to get people to respect your opinions or start a reasonable, intelligent discussion.

I absolutely reserve the right to judge my culture and people as such. If I see a shift in our educational focus and standards, I have a right and possibly an obligation to voice that. People are welcomed to get offended, sure. As long as it's civil, then some good can come out of this.

And it looks like this is turning into an intelligent discussion.

In this case, though, it's not uncommon for people to sing songs in languages other than their own, and why should it be? Language is simply a way for people to communicate with other people, and if someone can communicate in more than one language, that's great, that means they can speak to a greater portion of the world's population. And there's no reason to stop there, if they can sing in another language too, then why shouldn't they? If you're going to sing, you should sing a song that you know how to sing, and that you like, if that song is in a different language from what you normally speak, then so be it. Singers should be able to sing songs in any language they want, whether it's a cover or an original song. English is just a common choice of a foreign language to sing in for people from non-English speaking countries, probably because so many people in the world speak it, even if not as a first language, and the influence that English speaking countries have had on popular culture.

Thank you. That's what I was asking.

And are you going to try to stop them from doing so? So they like different things from you or don't like or know about what you like? So what? There's nothing wrong with people having different opinions, the only thing wrong is with those who can't accept this. Now I'm not saying I like Twilight or Britney Spears, I have no interest in either, and don't really see the appeal in them, but I can't deny that there are those who do like them, and I have neither the means, desire, nor right to change this. They can like whatever they want for all I care, all I ask is that they don't expect me to also be interested in the same things.

Try to stop them? All I said was I don't understand the appeal, like you.

And why has this thread turned into a discussion of Twilight? I thought it was about people singing songs from other countries instead of their own at the start?

It was an example of people enjoying the more superficial things in life. This question is answered with my first post to Leydenne.
Michael Korkia

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 am

Meh. I'm not anti-American or anything like that. (I'm American). I just get discouraged when people like Britney Spears become super-popular and grown advlts get obsessed with the Twilight series. I have a hard time finding people who've even heard of Joyce's Ulysses.
I know plenty of people who have heard of, and even read Ulysses - if they invoke it in a conversation, as a hallmark of literary high-brow-ness, I tend to designate them as crashing bores. :lol: (And yes, I have read it, as I have a degree in Literature - so useful. ) Personal taste is personal taste - some brilliant people might find the Twilight series perfectly entertaining and relaxing, allowing them a respite from developing a cure for cancer, or working on world peace. :) (I couldn't finish the first book, as it happens, but that was more because the main female protagonist is written in such a way as to completely irritate me, and I didn't remotely care about her and her twee vampire true love.)

Do they actually know the meaning of what they're singing though? I listen to a couple of Spanish bands because I like the music and the "sound" of the lyrics, but I never sing along because I don't have the blindest idea of what they're actually saying.

Heh - I enjoy a lot of french language music, but unless I have the lyrics written down to view, other than a few words or phrases I can pick out, I often haven't the remotest clue either.
My blood

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_Ib4Rg0Tk

First of all, anyone know what language this is?

That's in English. :huh:

EDIT: Oh the judges.
AnDres MeZa

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:13 am

This is very interesting. I was under the impression that people would only sing a song if they actually spoke the language. According to what some of you say, I guess not. I would never attempt that. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQLmHKlmiE
Danial Zachery

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 am

Lets not turn this into another Twilight bashing thread. It's a novel/series, not the fate of nations.

And also,http://www.gamesas.com/index.php?/topic/1102469-does-everyone-speak-english-now/page__view__findpost__p__16125103.. then it would be helpful not to make try and drag the thread back to taking personal offense on behalf of your country. A post or two went away.
Georgine Lee

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 am

Ah, I remembered what I first thought of reading the OP! ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4w12oDjn8, without understanding and all that junk.
Bones47

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:39 am

Meh. I'm not anti-American or anything like that. (I'm American). I just get discouraged when people like Britney Spears become super-popular and grown advlts get obsessed with the Twilight series. I have a hard time finding people who've even heard of Joyce's Ulysses.

This isn't new or restricted to American stars
Back when Britain had a film and music industry worthy of the name most of the films and music were still awful and James Joyce never wrote a bestseller
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 am

This is very interesting. I was under the impression that people would only sing a song if they actually spoke the language.

Nah, I can sing in Afrikaans and German without knowing any words beyond those in the song.
Elina

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Pop culture is universal. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with English or America. Every country has its wildly popular homegrown version, the OP just isn't aware of it. People don't always want profound and deep, oftentimes the musical, cinematic or literary equivalent of bubble gum is fine.

I finally watched Avatar last night for the first time. I was fully expecting to hate it due to the many critical reviews that ripped the story as obvious, predictable and shallow. I loved it. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate a more profound, thoughtful Sci-fi like "Moon" or "District 9" though.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 pm

I absolutely reserve the right to judge my culture and people as such.

:slap:

What on earth gave you that idea?
Kelly John

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am

My fave local eatery is a Vietnamese noodle joint. The radio station they play is a rad easy listening station that plays Vietnamese renditions of Celine Dion, NSync, Justin Bieber songs.... Very kitschy.
Mr. Ray

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 am

There's nothing inherently wrong with Anmerican culture and music, I like a lot of it, but its just a shame to think how much good music in other languages never gets to see the light of day because everyone's obsessed with making it big in America.

2 words

Lady GaGa

I've heard she's classically trained, but the music she puts out is crap pure and simple. Every time I hear "ramamama" thing come on I want to gouge out my ear drums, pour gasoline on them and burn them. It is just down right the most horrible song I swear i've ever heard in my life.

As for music preferences i'm mostly into heavy metal/hard rock and there are a couple of non-english language songs I like. Rammstein's Ich Will is one of them and America is a pretty sweet song to listen to as well. Though it's best to remember just because you can sing in descent americaneese it doesn't mean that you should.
Kerri Lee

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 am

My fave local eatery is a Vietnamese noodle joint. The radio station they play is a rad easy listening station that plays Vietnamese renditions of Celine Dion, NSync, Justin Bieber songs.... Very kitschy.

Reminds me of the music a Thai friend of mine showed me, the stuff radio stations play all day long. Basically anything from the 70s to 90s, from Bee Gees to Madonna, played http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulintang style. Strangely enough, there were also German schlager pop songs in there.
Said it is because people rarely want to pay the fees to license songs, so they just remake them with local instruments and singers.
Jah Allen

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:40 am

Though it's best to remember just because you can sing in descent americaneese it doesn't mean that you should.

Hmm it does annoy me when my own countrymen sing in English with an American accent. Its jarring to me, like someone from California decided to put on a really heavy Scottish accent, its just silly.
Brooke Turner

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 am

2 words

Lady GaGa

I've heard she's classically trained, but the music she puts out is crap pure and simple. Every time I hear "ramamama" thing come on I want to gouge out my ear drums, pour gasoline on them and burn them. It is just down right the most horrible song I swear i've ever heard in my life.

As for music preferences i'm mostly into heavy metal/hard rock and there are a couple of non-english language songs I like. Rammstein's Ich Will is one of them and America is a pretty sweet song to listen to as well. Though it's best to remember just because you can sing in descent americaneese it doesn't mean that you should.

What does that have to do with the topic?

Would Lady GaGa somehow have been more appealing to you if she had been born in Scotland?
Isabel Ruiz

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 am

Hmm it does annoy me when my own countrymen sing in English with an American accent. Its jarring to me, like someone from California decided to put on a really heavy Scottish accent, its just silly.
Yes, most people just sound badly drunk. I could start ranting about obnoxiously bad Irish, that confuses Belfast with all of the Isle, now... But I won't. ^_^
Scarlet Devil

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

So anyone who likes rap, pop, and twilight (I'm not personally a fan although I listen to rap) is automatically wrong and everything you like is the only right answer? Kind of self-centered if you ask me... just because you don't like the newest and coolest thing (don't get me wrong I dont really either) doesnt mean everyone else should be forced to sit in an opera hall and spend their free time reading hundred year old books that have 900 pages just because its the only thing you agree with.
Lalla Vu

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:50 am

Could be related to it being one of the worst works of literature ever written.

Tell me about it. Best novel of the 20th century my ass.
matt oneil

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 am

So anyone who likes rap, pop, and twilight (I'm not personally a fan although I listen to rap) is automatically wrong and everything you like is the only right answer? Kind of self-centered if you ask me... just because you don't like the newest and coolest thing (don't get me wrong I dont really either) doesnt mean everyone else should be forced to sit in an opera hall and spend their free time reading hundred year old books that have 900 pages just because its the only thing you agree with.

Exaggeration. But I guess I could go along with it. So I'll seek to pass legislation "forcing" people to go to Cheboygan and listen to The Barber of Seville.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Few reasons.
1st off, me being 18 years old and in Croatia which is a small country so we don't get anything synchronized all movies, music, games, many books and most board games, or overall, media is in English, so when I was let's say 4 I actually had wider vocabulary in english than in my own native language.

2nd reason is trying to, as you said, get it big. In many countries certain type of music is mostly represented. I'll Take my country for example. I gathered a rock band several times, and we sang songs in croatian. We couldn't get any "fame" around our circles, because most people also listen to english stuff as well as that the rock is not something you can get your fame with here, so if we couldn't get it in our own homeland how the heck are we supposed to get it outside when people don't even understand the lyrics?
As soon as we started to cover songs from bands like Iron Maiden or ACDC people suddenly changed their minds and our gigs were full. That's why.
So once we start working on an album it will certainly be in english with only but a few songs in Croatian, because otherwise we just spent our time recording for nothing.
It's sad, I agree, but it is how it is.
Nikki Lawrence

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 am

Few reasons.
1st off, me being 18 years old and in Croatia which is a small country so we don't get anything synchronized all movies, music, games, many books and most board games, or overall, media is in English, so when I was let's say 4 I actually had wider vocabulary in english than in my own native language.

2nd reason is trying to, as you said, get it big. In many countries certain type of music is mostly represented. I'll Take my country for example. I gathered a rock band several times, and we sang songs in croatian. We couldn't get any "fame" around our circles, because most people also listen to english stuff as well as that the rock is not something you can get your fame with here, so if we couldn't get it in our own homeland how the heck are we supposed to get it outside when people don't even understand the lyrics?
As soon as we started to cover songs from bands like Iron Maiden or ACDC people suddenly changed their minds and our gigs were full. That's why.
So once we start working on an album it will certainly be in english with only but a few songs in Croatian, because otherwise we just spent our time recording for nothing.
It's sad, I agree, but it is how it is.

Is this common around the world?
quinnnn

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Here in the U.S., it would be very unusual to see someone address a crowd at a stadium in English and then start singing in Bulgarian. I know many academies/schools offer foreign language courses. Same here. So, what gives?

There's plenty of Rammstein and Enya fans here in the USA, if that says anything (great combo, eh? Got them from my WMP). I haven't the slightest clue what they're singing about, but it sounds good.
elliot mudd

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games