Does everyone speak English now?

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 am

I think its important to speak as many languages as possible, I speak English, German, Welsh and Spanish Spanish to varying degrees of fluency. But still admittedly I don't listen to foreign music.
Rachael

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm

I presume all your leisure activities are high-brow then? (which kind of makes me wonder what you're doing on a games forum).
You don't watch sport, never play FPS games or watch an action movie?
I've read Joyce and other literary authors at times. I also read a lot of detective , fantasy and sci-fi novels (not Twilight though, my slushy phase was over 20 years ago :D). One doesn't prevent the other.

Don't you dare say Fallout is low-brow!

Ahem.

I think my interest in the game is the programming and design. My primary academic interest is A.I., so makes sense.

...and even if there was, one single person out of 309 million would not have any right whatsoever to pass judgement on it.

I don't have a right to this opinion? I'm entitled to think what I want about people. And I hope you don't think one person's opinion is unique among 309 million people.
Isabella X

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm confused. What's the opinion on what now?

And can no one puzzle out that paragraph from Finnegan's Wake?

Music: Here is a good example of what I like to listen, too. Now, Yankees might not like this song all that much, because we have different sensibilities and different culture. A lot of people like Heavy Metal. I hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6r4E514nJg&feature=related
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 am

We're getting into qualifying leisure regardless of its sensibility. To this, I wonder, why some think we check our brains at the door to have fun.

Okay, we get it, you're clever and you read old books :rolleyes:

I have a friend who studies English Lit. She reads heavy stuff all day and thinks about what it means and all that. And then when she's done, sometimes she goes home and reads Twilight, because it's easy and light and actually pretty hillarious in a terrible B movie way. By the same token, I read and reread Marx and Foucault for my course trying to get inside their heads, but then I read Stephen King and Terry Pratchett when I want to relax. Or watch some crap TV, or whatever. Sometimes you need to turn your brain off. And to be honest, I find that people who spend their leisure time with such intense stuff are often really boring. Or they only read philosophy or history or "literature" because they like the idea of looking clever, and don't really have the slightest clue what's going on.

Besides, say what you like about Stephanie Meyer (I do), her books have gotten a lot of kids into reading who wouldn't have picked up a book otherwise. Same's true of JK Rowling - although I really like her writing anyway.
Matt Bee

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 pm

I think my interest in the game is the programming and design. My primary academic interest is A.I., so makes sense.

So, in essence, the only reason you don't read things like Twilight is because you want to look clever, rather than based on the individual merits of the works themselves?

I don't know about you, but I read books, play games and watch movies because I like them, I don't do it out of a need to appear sophisticated.

Now, listening to Westlife may not look as fancy as listening to Arctic blwjobs or whatnot, but I enjoy it, and that's quite enough in my book.

I don't have a right to this opinion? I'm entitled to think what I want about people. And I hope you don't think one person's opinion is unique among 309 million people.

You have every right to your opinion, but I'm sure most people on this forum can agree that blanket statements about any group of people being inferior is something that is not welcome on this forum.
carly mcdonough

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:38 am

I think its important to speak as many languages as possible, I speak English, German, Welsh and Spanish Spanish to varying degrees of fluency. But still admittedly I don't listen to foreign music.

I tried learning welsh, but damn, I would have to have been raised learning it o be able to use it, mutations, things spelt differently to how they are pronounced, and it just confuses me, I may try again in the future, I feel Iknida need to learn it, wonder if Rosetta stone is any good.
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 pm

It must be lonely at the top of the intelligence ladder...
Marine Arrègle

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Some people sing only in English, others in their native language. Some sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fDtaEqTGis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-XDr0DnY4, others sing in any language but English. Whatever floats one's boat, really. Why? Better publicity, more fitting to their style etc. there isn't any one single reason. Why do I write in two languages? Because I want to emphasize the point and because I'm too lazy to write in Finnish, or any of the other Nordic languages.

Vissa sjunger bara p? engelska, andra p? modersm?let. Vissa sjunger p? b?da spr?ken, andra sjunger p? vilket spr?k som helst f?rutom engelska. Personlig preferens, helt enkelt. Varf?r? B?ttre publicitet, den passar deras stil b?ttre etc. det finns ingen enstaka orsak. Varf?r skriver jag p? tv? spr?k? F?r att jag vill betona po?ngen och f?r att jag ?r f?r lat f?r att skriva p? finska, eller n?got annat av de nordiska spr?ken.
naome duncan

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am

We're getting into qualifying leisure regardless of its sensibility. To this, I wonder, why some think we check our brains at the door to have fun.

You are making a judgment about people based on something very superficial - what people enjoy as a leisure time activity, or how they relax may have nothing to do with their relative intellectual prowess or general intelligence. Fun is fun, it is not necessarily always going to be a mental exercise that "embiggens" you. It's just fun and relaxing, refreshes your outlook, gives you pleasure.
Nicole M

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 am

I live in Iceland and I'm very serious when I say that I've never ever met anyone under the age of 30 who can't speak fluent English. :shrug:
Celestine Stardust

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 pm

2 words

Lady GaGa

I like Gaga. :(

"Bad Romance" is meant to have a French theme and her new song "Alejandro" is latin related. Most of her songs have a pretty deep meaning if you look into them.

@OP: I also think it's wierd people can sing in other languages, it reminds me of this song that was played to French kids to teach them months but the played it to English teens who were learning French... It's been stuck in ym head for about two years and I'm not even going to tattempt to write it down but I can sing it perfectly. Wierd.
Mimi BC

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:43 pm

It must be lonely at the top of the intelligence ladder...
Turn it sideways and use it as railing, less chance of falling.

I live in Iceland and I'm very serious when I say that I've never ever met anyone under the age of 30 who can't speak fluent English. :shrug:
A lot of it is constant exposure. I find it hard to practice German around Germans because they all want to speak English. The ones I met at least.
Matthew Warren

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:13 am

I like Gaga. :(

"Bad Romance" is meant to have a French theme and her new song "Alejandro" is latin related. Most of her songs have a pretty deep meaning if you look into them.

IIRC the song pokerface is about her faking it with a guy, while she imagined she was with a woman, real deep... She is pretty shallow imo.
Kaley X

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 am

IIRC the song pokerface is about her faking it with a guy, while she imagined she was with a woman, real deep... She is pretty shallow imo.

But if we're just going to boil down entertainment to what it really means, nothing really stands up to scrutiny, does it?

Romeo & Juliet is basically about how love svcks. Not very deep.

Hamlet is about how life svcks. Not very deep either.

"Can you feel the love tonight?" by Elton John doesn't really mean anything at all, same as with 99% of all pop songs ever made.
Eve(G)

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm

I had English Literature for my O Levels and hated it. I was stupid enough to actually believe I needed it. Utter useless trash. So many wasted nights spent studying it. :(
Lily Evans

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 am

But if we're just going to boil down entertainment to what it really means, nothing really stands up to scrutiny, does it?

Romeo & Juliet is basically about how love svcks. Not very deep.

Hamlet is about how life svcks. Not very deep either.

You can't compare Romeo & Juliet / Hamlet to Poker Face.

You just can't. And even the way you describe them they're still WAY deeper then Poker Face. :P
Joanne Crump

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

You just can't. And even the way you describe them they're still WAY deeper then Poker Face. :P

You can boil anything down to its base. And when you try and summarize anything in one sentence, its not gonna be very deep.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 am

I don't know about you, but I'd have been much less bored while watching Romeo & Juliet, had half of it been about how Juliet was faking it while thinking about another woman.
Joie Perez

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Shakespeare's deeper than Lady Gaga so Shakespeare is better? [censored]. I can't dance to The Merchant of Venice, but I don't use that as a basis to make the opposite argument do I?

You say you can't compare the two? Of course you can't - they're two different mediums with two different aims. So why did you just try to compare them anyway?
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Shakespeare's deeper than Lady Gaga so Shakespeare is better? [censored]. I can't dance to The Merchant of Venice, but I don't use that as a basis to make the opposite argument do I?

You say you can't compare the two? Of course you can't - they're two different mediums with two different aims. So why did you just try to compare them anyway?

:nod:
carley moss

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 am

I don't know about you, but I'd have been much less bored while watching Romeo & Juliet, had half of it been about how Juliet was faking it while thinking about another woman.

Yeah, sounds hot.
Bird

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Yep, personally I can't decide which I dislike more.
Michelle davies

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 am

I've actually started listening to Korpiklaani. Music is just so much more interesting when you have no idea what anyone is saying.
Phillip Brunyee

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 am

And so the thread was derailed, from people singing in foreign languages to Juliet dreaming about doing it with another woman.
Richard Thompson

Post » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 am

So, in essence, the only reason you don't read things like Twilight is because you want to look clever, rather than based on the individual merits of the works themselves?

I don't know about you, but I read books, play games and watch movies because I like them, I don't do it out of a need to appear sophisticated.

Now, listening to Westlife may not look as fancy as listening to Arctic blwjobs or whatnot, but I enjoy it, and that's quite enough in my book.

You have every right to your opinion, but I'm sure most people on this forum can agree that blanket statements about any group of people being inferior is something that is not welcome on this forum.

Exactly. Opinions are opinions. Nobody can tell you what your opinion of anything should be. But good god, if I posted all my blanket statements here I'd be the most hated person on the forums.

Also, Arctic blwjobs?
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games