exploring

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 am

Well you have to accept that the majority of the current fallout fanbase started with Fallout 3. The original fallout fans are actually a minority. Bethesda/Obsidian are a business after all, and must cater to the majority rather than the minority. In the future Fallouts, you can expect a more Fallout 3 feel, with exploring and an exciting game world filled with quests and dungeons with a decent story, as opposed to a brilliantly told story with a more static game world. It's just what gaming has become. I'm not saying it's bad, either, as I consider myself a Bethesda fan more than an Obsidian fan.

ohhh noooo this is a bad statement. Its possibly true.... FO was huge on pc back in its day though. Even with the long period of nothing I bet most of the old base never really left or came back.

Either way you ll start all out old guard new gen war with statements like this. You may want to edit and try to word it a little differently.
ezra

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Well you have to accept that the majority of the current fallout fanbase started with Fallout 3.
The original fallout fans are actually a minority.
Bethesda/Obsidian are a business after all, and must cater to the majority rather than the minority.
In the future Fallouts, you can expect a more Fallout 3 feel, with exploring and an exciting game world filled with quests and dungeons with a decent story, as opposed to a brilliantly told story with a more static game world.
It's just what gaming has become.
I'm not saying it's bad, either, as I consider myself a Bethesda fan more than an Obsidian fan.

No, i dont, there is no proof of that.
A medium-sized established fanbase is worth more in the long run than a large fanbase that may or may not stick to the franchise.
Minus the "quests" "static" (The originals were far more dynamic than Fallout 3) and you're statement is worded correctly, but it is not right, that all future Fallouts will have a non-Fallout feel, i so do refuse.
If that is true, it is sad, it used to be for gamers by gamers, games for nerds, before the coming of "casual gamers".
I consider myself a Fallout fan.
jess hughes

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 am

No, i dont, there is no proof of that.
A medium-sized established fanbase is worth more in the long run than a large fanbase that may or may not stick to the franchise.
Minus the "quests" "static" (The originals were far more dynamic than Fallout 3) and you're statement is worded correctly, but it is not right, that all future Fallouts will have a non-Fallout feel, i so do refuse.
If that is true, it is sad, it used to be for gamers by gamers, games for nerds, before the coming of "casual gamers".
I consider myself a Fallout fan.

Before the coming of casual gamers id consider the ps1 to be the start of the "casual game saga" it opened up gaming for the masses so the old fallouts are in this time period and i wouldn't consider fo3 to be casual.
Tiff Clark

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:49 pm

In the future Fallouts, you can expect a more Fallout 3 feel, with exploring and an exciting game world filled with quests and dungeons with a decent story, as opposed to a brilliantly told story with a more static game world. It's just what gaming has become.

No, it's just seems to be the only thing Bethesda can do. After Skyrim it should be easy to predict what Fallout 4 will be like.
Sarah Evason

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Before the coming of casual gamers id consider the ps1 to be the start of the "casual game saga" it opened up gaming for the masses so the old fallouts are in this time period and i wouldn't consider fo3 to be casual.

The original Fallouts were made in 1997 for PC, they once made a game for the PS2, the Burned Game, then they made another FO3, and led to a rapid dilution of an established loyal fanbase with casual gamers.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 am

The original Fallouts were made in 1997 for PC, they once made a game for the PS2, the Burned Game, then they made another FO3, and led to a rapid dilution of an established loyal fanbase with casual gamers.

I fail to see how the fan base was diluted with "casual gamers" please explain.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:20 pm

I fail to see how the fan base was diluted with "casual gamers" please explain.

Not that all casual gamers are bad, but now they seem to be who Bethesda listens to, and not the old fans that had waited for so long, staying loyal, instead catering to Action Adventure Shooter crowds and giving the old guard of cRPG fans, Fallout fans, the cold shoulder.
SWagg KId

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 am

Not that all casual gamers are bad, but now they seem to be who Bethesda listens to, and not the old fans that had waited for so long, staying loyal, instead catering to Action Adventure Shooter crowds and giving the old guard of cRPG fans, Fallout fans, the cold shoulder.

I'd say catering for the tes (wich i don't se as casual.)fans but not you're random casual cod chump.
Gracie Dugdale

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am

I'd say catering for the tes (wich i don't se as casual.)fans but not you're random casual cod chump.

As if catering to a different fanbase for more money wasn't bad enough, TES had recently transformed into Oblivion, which did to TES what Fallout 3 did to Fallout.
[Bounty][Ben]

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:52 am

And the term "simulation" was added with Fallout 3 onwards

Where in Fallout 3 or New Vegas does it say "Simulation" I have not noticed it. Loading screen? I am looking at my copy of Fallout 3, can't find it but I did get a laugh out of what it says on the back.

"The Power of Choice! Are you good or evil? Talk out your problems or just flash your plasma rifle." Can't talk your way out of killing, but for maybe a handful of quests.

"Limitless Freedom! Visit towns, battle through DC, or explore the wasteland in 1st or 3rd person." Story wise not much freedom. First part "power of choices" sums up level of freedom.

Anyways my point was Fallout is supposed to be a Post Nuclear Role Playing Game. Not sure of the point of putting "Simulation" in there. Maybe RPG simulation?
carly mcdonough

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 pm

McClellan Townhouse

This.

What is it?
Chris Jones

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:29 pm

No, the exploration in FO3 was great, but did not make any sense.

"Electricity, pre-war electronic equipment, powered and still working computers (just think about that for a second), working cola & snack machines, weapons, ammo, scrap metal (needed by many), and even unlooted first aid boxes are everywhere."

"In fact, I'm not sure that the people you meet are even aware that they are living in a post-apocalyptic environment. One woman is writing a survival guide (a couple of centuries too late for that, don’t you think?), being genuinely curious about what happens when you step on a mine. Another lady is busy collecting Nuka-cola bottles and giving Nuka-Cola history tours. Makes sense, what else is there to do in a post-apocalyptic world? "

"he biggest problem is not so much that it isn’t Fallout, but rather that the setting doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Bethesda had an opportunity to craft a cohesive “living & breathing” world, but instead chose to build an amusemant park with a bit of everything ‘cool’ they could think of. To be fair, some things Bethesda did are brilliant and atmospheric, but they are isolated elements that never form a coherent and consistent world that makes even the most basic sense."

"The war-torn environment is superb. Broken buildings, highways, and bridges, interiors, ruined subway stations, the remains of the capital city are done nicely and convincingly. It’s a fantastic work, even if it’s off the mark by 200 years."

"Unfortunately, the previously mentioned design decisions cripple the exploration a bit. It’s relatively easy to acquire the best equipment and max your key skills before you see half of the gameworld. Considering that many places don’t have any “reward” other than killing and looting whatever inhabits them, it would have been nice to have something else to do there other than sight-seeing and looting."

All quotes taken from http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=47347

You're quoting from No-Mutants? Of course it's all going to be negative. :facepalm: It's not all mindless sight seeing and looting. Go back and read some of the previous statements made by people in this thread. There are stories behind some of those places in FO3.
Tamara Primo

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:49 am

yeah I put 2400hrs in fo3 thats not casual thats addicted.
stacy hamilton

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 am

I m not a casual gamer. I work play video games buy a hoker once in awhile and that is just about it. I m too old to be out at the bars or some dumb party and getting dui s and in trouble with cops anymore. Games keep me out of trouble. FO Just so happens to be such a good idea that I play it most.
Czar Kahchi

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:50 am

Mmm never knew that a desert with nothing to do is more entertaining than D.C. area. Walking around in the mojave is joyful if you dont expect ANY combat...

Yeah, becuse the choice is there if I stick to the roads, and try to avoid combat, or if I go out in the wilderness, where I will find animals/mosnters.
Fallout 3 was more like a survival game with RPG and a free open world while Fallout new vegas is more lika a RPG game with alots of options, alternative questline, politics, lore, intresting characters.
Even so, im gonna give FO3 another try, and sell my ps3 version and buy GOTY edition to the PC, becuse I have seen how mods make FNV a fantastic game.
Monika Krzyzak

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:54 am

You're quoting from No-Mutants? Of course it's all going to be negative. :facepalm: It's not all mindless sight seeing and looting. Go back and read some of the previous statements made by people in this thread. There are stories behind some of those places in FO3.

I played the Hell out of every Fallout Game and I spend next to no time on NMA and I also enjoyed Fallout 3 but I do find that most of Fallout 3 is mindless, EXPLOSIONS with very poor writing that forces you to side with "the good guys" over the bad guys. The game only give you two options (well it says it does :rolleyes: ). As my earlier post states that on the the back of Fallout 3 says "Are you good or evil?" There are some awesome holotapes in Fallout 3 but it does not excuse the crappy back stories behind locations and the game world. Coming across towns with only two people or people that sell junk :facepalm:
Peetay

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 am

what it comes down to is this, lets say you live in a hovel with no power, thats barely standing up from a bombed out neighborhood. The house next to you is fairly intact, has power, and is full of food and pre war tech. It is abandoned. Do you or anyone else in 200 years not move in and make it there own?

the fact that mutants and ghouls were roaming around baffled me more than a fridge full of food. How is this possible?
Anthony Rand

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:55 am

So, the New Vegas equivalent of F3's exploring (according to some people here) is talking to people at locations. Ok. That's all well and good. But insanely more boring and repetitive than dungeons. In a dungeon, you can't tell what's around the corner, you're scared, but also determined to loot/kill/explore/whatever. When I'm in a town full of people who have no intention of killing me, sure I'll talk to them, learn some new stuff, but there's just no excitement, no pull factors. Information in Fallout 3 was harder to get as terminals/notes/objectives were at the end of buildings full of enemies. Clearing out a building gave you some form of a reward, a little info on the location, or loot. I can definitely see why some people don't miss this stuff at all, but I can't imagine why they consider a few more lines of dialogue to be a satisfactory replacement.

And anyone arguing realism and believability really ought to stop playing video games.

I'm with you on the dialog thing. I don't mind reading some dialog or information, but I like for it to be a challenge to get to. Getting information in FONV is about as challenging as me walking down the stairs and picking up a book to read. Not what I'm looking for in a game.

I don't get the realism argument. :shrug:
u gone see

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 pm

People, if you dont like to talk/diauloge, dont. I dont get it, sure, to have high speech can be really useful, but no one is forcing you. Just becuse its good to have high speech doesnt mean make my character good at it.
It seems that people think " OK, im gonna take the best skills for my character" instead of actually take what you think is fun.
If im gonna create a character that likes to solve everything with violance, then ofcourse I aint picking speech as one of my main skills for that character...
Andrew Lang

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 am

I think some people would prefer that the desert has a dungeon, a town, a place of intrest and a phat loot stash every few paces.

Then they can complain that the map feels too small. :lol:

Funny thing is, the map is already been judged as too small despite it being almost exactly the same size as Fallout 3. :laugh:

No, it's just seems to be the only thing Bethesda can do. After Skyrim it should be easy to predict what Fallout 4 will be like.

More like it's the only thing they even bother to try. They're professionals, they could do different stuff with different franchises if they wanted, but they just won't, which is a shame since all the potential goes to waste within one single copypaste concept. And you're right about predicting and Skyrim - although, you can already make an educated guesses about what Fo4 will be like based on what is being done with Skyrim (wihich, again, is a shame).
Chase McAbee

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 am

I played the Hell out of every Fallout Game and I spend next to no time on NMA and I also enjoyed Fallout 3 but I do find that most of Fallout 3 is mindless, EXPLOSIONS with very poor writing that forces you to side with "the good guys" over the bad guys. The game only give you two options (well it says it does :rolleyes: ). As my earlier post states that on the the back of Fallout 3 says "Are you good or evil?" There are some awesome holotapes in Fallout 3 but it does not excuse the crappy back stories behind locations and the game world. Coming across towns with only two people or people that sell junk :facepalm:

That is one of a few things Fallout 3 could have used more of...places to buy and sell stuff. FONV definitely did that better. I didn't mind that I could only side with the good guys in FO3. I wish some of the dialog had been better with better options. I do like being able to choose who to side with in FONV. I just don't think everything about FO3 is negative. I really like the game. And I like FONV as well. I will say that if it wasn't for the companions and their quests I doubt I would still play FONV. Despite it's wonderful dialog I find it boring to read through at times. And I don't find the storyline of the game all that interesting. And I don't like being a bad character who just kills everyone (like someone suggested), so not reading the dialog is NOT an option. This is a personal preference. It doesn't mean the storyline of FONV is bad, it just means it doesn't appeal to me. I'm far more interested in the companion stories and their quests. They seem more challenging to me.
Lucky Girl

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:30 am

Funny thing is, the map is already been judged as too small despite it being almost exactly the same size as Fallout 3.

I ve been on this board hard for a week and I have not seen one person say it is too small, but now that u mention it the square is the same size as fo3, but Ceaser s side is only his base. While on the left side of the map we have some cars in the way blocking a giant section of the map. So in all reality it is smaller.

My speech is 100 for a reason I dont mind talking. I talk to every person until they won t talk anymore. My guns are also 100 for a reason and there lies one of the problems. CL (I don t care how great their lore is) In game they are cream puffs except Ceasers tent and the end of the game. I don t see any of the og saying the men don t match the lore. Do none of u actually like combating an enemy at all??? All I see is talk about talk. You re telling fo is about just talking.
tiffany Royal

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:07 pm

I guess it wouldn t help if the map was opened becuse they really didn t put anything on what they have.

Back to COMBAT yeah I said it. There s people afraid in this tread to write the word COMBAT, because they think or will get bashed.

The people that most sain people r going to see as as the eneny in their first play through svck at COMBAT. Lore might say Ceasar read books about the Roman Legion, but I can asure u from playing the game he didnt. The Roman Legion brings swords and shields and archers that shoot flaming arrows into COMBAT. When in COMBAT the real Roman Legion closes ranks and protects each other with their shields. No old guard sees any problem with the lack of in game tactics and strength of CL. You have to be mad because thier lore says that copied the once great Roman Legion, but when in COMBAT they run away like little girls. There tactics and equip. r nothing like the Roman Legion. Matter of fact they make the Roman Legion look bad. Any coments on that from and old guard???
lucile

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:46 am

This.

What is it?

The McCellan townhouse is a building in Georgetown with a Mr. Handy in it who reads the poem "And There Will Come Soft Rains" (a post-apocalyptic poem by Sara Teasdale) to the skeletons of two long deceased children (he'll also do some other things like "pick up" grocerys and "walk" the dead dog). The whole house itself is also a homage to the short story by Ray Bradbury which is based of the poem, in which an automated house (in what surprising seems to be a retro-futurisc nuclear apocalypse setting) continues to function after its "masters" were killed in an atomic blast.

In my opinion, the Townhouse is a perfect example of what Fallout should be about (exemplifying the destruction Nuclear Apocalypse brings and the loss of an idealistic pre-war world), and locations like it are sincerely missed in New Vegas.
meg knight

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 pm

I guess it wouldn t help if the map was opened becuse they really didn t put anything on what they have.

Back to COMBAT yeah I said it. There s people afraid in this tread to write the word COMBAT, because they think or will get bashed.

The people that most sain people r going to see as as the eneny in their first play through svck at COMBAT. Lore might say Ceasar read books about the Roman Legion, but I can asure u from playing the game he didnt. The Roman Legion brings swords and shields and archers that shoot flaming arrows into COMBAT. When in COMBAT the real Roman Legion closes ranks and protects each other with their shields. No old guard sees any problem with the lack of in game tactics and strength of CL. You have to be mad because thier lore says that copied the once great Roman Legion, but when in COMBAT they run away like little girls. There tactics and equip. r nothing like the Roman Legion. Matter of fact they make the Roman Legion look bad. Any coments on that from and old guard???

I think they did that with purpose. You might havent understand it yet, but Ceasar is crazy. He named the legion after forming a union of tribes and with a complete new warfare he conquered the east. He built a society based on military and slaves ( not very far from how it was when Rome was created ). But still, Ceasar was impressed by Rome and therefore named his "warband" The legion.
Samantha Mitchell

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas