exploring

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I knew I would get some go play COD comments! But that is OK. Been playing RPGs since Ultima II. Even D&D before AD&D, so I like to think I know a little about the genre. But then again I love FPS too! Used to love fraging out with Quake, Doom and UT.

Here is the thing - Speech is boring. Big, big, big time boring. It is a single skill point check. Either pass or fail. In no way did it make my Role Playing Experience Better. It is simply the lock picking skill for quests. Want the quickest, best solution to a lot of quests? Then Speech. Not good, not evil. Not even gray. Just speech checks for the majority of the game.

Speech has simply moved from the semi-useless category of F3 to the level of Lockpick/Science.

As for choices and consequences? If combat is a total joke, then there is no real consequence to maxing out non-combat skills! I can wipe out half the monsters in the game with a 50-60 combat skill. Guns, EW, Explosives, Melee or Unarmed. It does not matter! There is no hard choices between combat skills and non-combat skills! It is simple - you get way more mileage out of non-combat skills. In fact you get HARDER choices and consequences trying to max out multiple combat skills! Cause you neglect your non-combat skills!

As for Exploring - I think The Rook hit the nail right on the head. F3 exploring was a lot better then FNV. That is OK, Bethesda has been making tons of sandbox worlds. Obsidian is just getting their feet wet. Eventually, they will find the right balance between F3 and FNV. Not saying I will not buy another Obsidian product - I liked Kotor2, NWN2 and FNV. But sometimes you have to voice what could have been better. And combat and exploring are two weak links.

No, speech is 100% good. Fallout is about freedom and how your actions affect the world. If you want to be a badass evil man, go for it. If you want to be a pacifist, go for it. Just because you think its boring does not make it bad at all.

But Mako it is fallout because Bethesda owns it now. The makers of the old games sold it to the highest bidder. I don t know the whole story of their motives, but it is not a turn based true rpg anymore. It is something new. It is good.... They will continue to work it I m sure. There r things from nv I want in fo4 and there were things from fo3 I wanted in nv. The best is somewhere in the middle. Keeping Obsidian is key IMO to create the ultimate gaming experience there is.

No, its not. Its like saying America is America when the communists take it over. Its not the same.

Well I though the two were pretty similar in that aspect. Many of the things that old fo guards r saying about fo3 r in nv too.
Copy paste in both. Not enough voice actors in both. I can go on and on. It just that its old guards job to not see this stuff or they wouldn t really be og anymore. OG is needed to keep things in check, and Im sure Bethesda hears og, but they can t go back all the way. That was their intro to new gen of fo. They know what they are doing IMO. With the Obsidian people every thing is going to get refined and everyone will be happy. Like I say what we r all looking for og and new gen is somewhere in the middle. They ll get there.

"Perfection is unobtainable, but in the quest for it we can catch excellence." --- Vince Lombardi

I can name dozens of little places where Fallout 3 broke lore, but lemme just say a few of the bigger ones.

1. In Fallout 2, the Brotherhood is dying, yet in Fallout 3, they have traveled across the country and now have large numbers. How did this happen?

2. In Fallout 1 and 2, energy weapons were rare and expensive. Micro-Fusion Cells were expensive like hell. But in Fallout 3, energy weapons are common place and the ammo is fairly cheap.

3. In the originals, power armor was rare and expensive, but in Fallout 3, its cheap and almost everyone has it. Plus, in the originals, there was no power armor training.

4. The Garden of Eden Creation Kit, or GECK for short, is just a case full of seeds and some documents. In Fallout 3, its some magical device used to purify water.

5. In the originals, almost all of the radiation is gone, yet in Fallout 3 (D.C hardly looked hit by the way, the Boneyard was hit with maybe half of the nukes sent for D.C, but its totally gone) there is radiation everywhere.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 am

No, speech is 100% good. Fallout is about freedom and how your actions affect the world. If you want to be a badass evil man, go for it. If you want to be a pacifist, go for it. Just because you think its boring does not make it bad at all.

This

Some people here enjoy talking to them instead of using the force again to make the results,

AGAIN,

If you dont want to talk, simply dont, fight with them, you can do that
Lisa

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:23 am

I can name dozens of little places where Fallout 3 broke lore, but lemme just say a few of the bigger ones.

1. In Fallout 2, the Brotherhood is dying, yet in Fallout 3, they have traveled across the country and now have large numbers. How did this happen?

This is explained, Lyons and a small squad were sent East to DC to look for tech. At some point in Lyon's arrival, he conscripted the unmutated kids from The Pitt, and at some point, Locals.

2. In Fallout 1 and 2, energy weapons were rare and expensive. Micro-Fusion Cells were expensive like hell. But in Fallout 3, energy weapons are common place and the ammo is fairly cheap.
The laser pistol is explainable, the rifle SOMEWHAT, but any commonplace plasma tech is unexplainable.

3. In the originals, power armor was rare and expensive, but in Fallout 3, its cheap and almost everyone has it. Plus, in the originals, there was no power armor training.
Personally, I see the Power Armor Training bit as a plus, I mean, how can we expect some savage from nowhere to just put on a piece of high tech machinery? (Power Armor is for all intents and purposes a machine, not armor in the simple term.) As to F3's commonplace armor. I dunno, I dont look to into it, I try not to nit-pick to much.

4. The Garden of Eden Creation Kit, or GECK for short, is just a case full of seeds and some documents. In Fallout 3, its some magical device used to purify water.

It wasn't 'a case full of seeds and some documents'. To my memory, the G.E.C.K. was a collection of seeds, a large collection of Holotapes with educational tapes from the Congressional Library, and a Cold Fusion Generator (Or is it Fission? I always confuse the two) My complaint with F3 is they use the generator and tech from the G.E.C.K. Yet they apparently just chucked the rest of it's contents into a rubbish bin.

5. In the originals, almost all of the radiation is gone, yet in Fallout 3 (D.C hardly looked hit by the way, the Boneyard was hit with maybe half of the nukes sent for D.C, but its totally gone) there is radiation everywhere.
Fallout is an isometric Map Node system, it gives the illusion of alot to explore, Fallout 3 is a 3-D world, it'd expected to have this there. I assure you, you'd probably be amongst the large hoardes going 'OMG DEY NO HAEV DC, IT JUST BIG HOLE' if Bethesda went for a realistic nuking of D.C.
Rachel Hall

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 am

I thought the title of this thread was "exploring?" Maybe you guys want to get back on topic and start talking about that again?

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Laura Ellaby

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 am

Well, to get back on topic. I think walking the Mojave is more enjoyable then the capital wasteland :celebration:
Gemma Flanagan

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm

"Fallout is an isometric Map Node system, it gives the illusion of alot to explore, Fallout 3 is a 3-D world, it'd expected to have this there. I assure you, you'd probably be amongst the large hoardes going 'OMG DEY NO HAEV DC, IT JUST BIG HOLE' if Bethesda went for a realistic nuking of D.C. "

No no, I don't mind the city being there, I mind the radiation still there.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 am

Alexman.....1 Bos sent men to the east coast to salvage tech. They stopped at the Pitt and took young kids. The black guy in Lyons pride tells you this. Also they are recruting from DC area

2 Maybe there were more EW in the nations capital pre war. Enclave and bos bring the most energy weapons into the game

3 Only Enclave and BOS have pa. Who else has pa in fo3??????

4 I ll have to check that.

5 no answer I m pretty sure every major city would be rubble and nuclear winter for hundreds of years. Even cities like Cleveland would be rubble. US, Russia and China have soooo many big nukes it is said they could blow up the world 9 times over.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:05 am

This

Some people here enjoy talking to them instead of using the force again to make the results,

AGAIN,

If you dont want to talk, simply dont, fight with them, you can do that

I agree with this. I like talking and avoid fights or deception or getting more info out of people just as much as I do fighting. My current character has 100 in both speech and guns.
Amiee Kent

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Actually, Lyons expedition seems a bit large consider how they can clear Pittsburg top to bottom then have enough strength for the Outcast to break away.
Veronica Martinez

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 pm

I thought the title of this thread was "exploring?" Maybe you guys want to get back on topic and start talking about that again?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

sorry, I did not see this until after I posted the above posts. My fault
A Dardzz

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 am

Actually, Lyons expedition seems a bit large consider how they can clear Pittsburg top to bottom then have enough strength for the Outcast to break away.

Exactly. I cannot understand why I dying group would send a small squad of men to D.C, then they clear out a MAJOR raider fort, but don't die along the way from the CL or raider bands.

OOPS, did jot see the mod post, my apologies.

Anyways, I hate exploration with a passion, if it is like FO3, where all the exploration was killing and looting. I for one, like less combat and more delving into lore.
Vera Maslar

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Well, to get back on topic. I think walking the Mojave is more enjoyable then the capital wasteland :celebration:

Mmm never knew that a desert with nothing to do is more entertaining than D.C. area. Walking around in the mojave is joyful if you dont expect ANY combat...
Ice Fire

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 am

Mmm never knew that a desert with nothing to do is more entertaining than D.C. area. Walking around in the mojave is joyful if you dont expect ANY combat...

But it has plenty to do. Both quests and combat. Just not every three steps. :shrug:
D IV

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 am

1.But it has plenty to do.
2.Both quests and combat. Just not every three steps. :shrug:

1. Lol i dont know what game your playing. FNV is a DESERT theres nothing to do in the desert.
2. yes both quests and dialogue.
katie TWAVA

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 am

1. Lol i dont know what game your playing. FNV is a DESERT theres nothing to do in the desert.
2. yes both quests and dialogue.

1. I'm playing Fallout New Vegas. :shrug:
2. Are quests not "things to do", or are you just not considering them as such for some reason?
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 am

Exactly. I cannot understand why I dying group would send a small squad of men to D.C, then they clear out a MAJOR raider fort, but don't die along the way from the CL or raider bands.

Alex when that group of bos was sent to EXPLORE the east is was along time ago. Lyons was a soilder not an old man. Thats how long ago they were sent to explore.

The outcasts that broke off to explore the cw were very small in number

There is no way that some raiders of especially weak CL could possibly put a dent in bos when they left to explore the east. I m not sure what chapter they came from,but since that Maxon kid was sent there I d have to say the far west bos. Before the bloody chapter vs NCR. I don t think we know how strong the far west bos r at this point.

I loved exploring the ruins of the nations capital.
Yonah

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:23 am

i believe some people actually like less content in the environment and don't mind a lack of exploration or no random encounters. as much as i enjoyed new vegas the excitment has worn off, it doesn't take long getting familiar with the map in new vegas and the spawns than in other games, so for me its just not fun to play anymore...i was hoping to be playing it at least long enough to enjoy the dlcs.
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:25 am

I agree. But that are too many quests in FNV which can only be solved by speech checks. Speech is too powerful here. Almost every character has to take speech.

As for exploration, too many encounters are scripted. Once you clear out the scripted areas there is nothing there. Ever, except some respawning Geckos and Cazadors. It makes the world seem sterile and boring.
Len swann

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 am

:eek: oh no it is not, it is a post nuclear role playing game.
wrong again its a post nuclear simulation role playing game...
Lizzie

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:48 am

No its a post Nuclear Role Playing game. Both Fallout and Fallout 2 have "A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game" under Fallout.
Nienna garcia

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am

No its a post Nuclear Role Playing game. Both Fallout and Fallout 2 have "A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game" under Fallout.

And the term "simulation" was added with Fallout 3 onwards
REVLUTIN

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:00 am

But it has plenty to do. Both quests and combat. Just not every three steps. :shrug:

I think some people would prefer that the desert has a dungeon, a town, a place of intrest and a phat loot stash every few paces.

Then they can complain that the map feels too small. :lol:
BlackaneseB

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 am

Well you have to accept that the majority of the current fallout fanbase started with Fallout 3. The original fallout fans are actually a minority. Bethesda/Obsidian are a business after all, and must cater to the majority rather than the minority. In the future Fallouts, you can expect a more Fallout 3 feel, with exploring and an exciting game world filled with quests and dungeons with a decent story, as opposed to a brilliantly told story with a more static game world. It's just what gaming has become. I'm not saying it's bad, either, as I consider myself a Bethesda fan more than an Obsidian fan.
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:53 pm

No.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:49 am

Well you have to accept that the majority of the current fallout fanbase started with Fallout 3. The original fallout fans are actually a minority. Bethesda/Obsidian are a business after all, and must cater to the majority rather than the minority. In the future Fallouts, you can expect a more Fallout 3 feel, with exploring and an exciting game world filled with quests and dungeons with a decent story, as opposed to a brilliantly told story with a more static game world. It's just what gaming has become. I'm not saying it's bad, either, as I consider myself a Bethesda fan more than an Obsidian fan.

1,We cannot accept something that is not true, the Fallout Fanbase was large even before Fallout 3,
2, Majority, minority, we are equal in their eyes :spotted owl:
3.Then I suppose that im done with Fallout if they want to do something like Fallout 3 again
4. Its not that we are rejecting the new means and ways of "gaming", but we simply dont like it how is now, and we cannot be forced to get used to it, never
Rhi Edwards

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas