exploring

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 pm

The problem with FO3 is that they went for quantity not quality. Everything was copy pasted and filled with generic enemies. In Fallout 1 and 2, every place was unique.

Hmmm... I would have to disagree with this, how was everything "copy-pasted"?

Filled with generic enemies, prehaps but "copy pasted?" I beg to differ.
Miguel

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:55 am

I laughed so hard, the neighbors came to check on me, no offence.

"Its a game, bla bla." That is such a weak excuse. Games ARE ART my friend, and just making a game have horrid writing just because it is a game is such anti-art.

I agree with Styles. I prefer that most of the detail and lore go into the world, towns, and factions. Me, I strongly dislike random exploring, but I like it when its rewarding. FO3 rarely gave me that feeling, but sometimes I had it. FNV gave me the feeling quite a bit more.

The biggest beef I had with FO3 is its implausibility. There is still food lying in view, and electricity is in open view. I could not wrap my head around how the people survive. Almost every place was full of mutants and random raiders, and you looted them. What a great reward.

For an example on rewarding exploration in my mind, look at the Glow in Fallout 1. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/West_Tek_Research_Facility

As ive already said, its only a game. something i play when i have nothing else to do. I certainly dont play FO3 worrying why theres electricity or food lying around. The same way i dont wonder why theres big green monsters and zombies kicking about.
The people would survive by hunting surely? theres plenty of wildlife.
Brooke Turner

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 pm

And anyone arguing realism and believability really ought to stop playing video games.

Verisimilitude and plausibility in the given setting is what's being argued by most. That's different in its reasoning than arguing over real life realism.
Laura Shipley

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm

As ive already said, its only a game. something i play when i have nothing else to do. I certainly dont play FO3 worrying why theres electricity or food lying around. The same way i dont wonder why theres big green monsters and zombies kicking about.
The people would survive by hunting surely? theres plenty of wildlife.

For most games I don't, but for Fallout I do.
sam westover

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm

In a dungeon, you can't tell what's around the corner, you're scared, but also determined to loot/kill/explore/whatever.

What copy of Fallout 3 are you playing? I could easily avoid any creature in the game because I know where they'll spawn and at what levels.

When I'm in a town full of people who have no intention of killing me, sure I'll talk to them, learn some new stuff, but there's just no excitement, no pull factors. Information in Fallout 3 was harder to get as terminals/notes/objectives were at the end of buildings full of enemies.

Fallout 3's quests were largely fetch quests. Tranquility Lane was the only real non fetch quest in the game. Get to PP to find dads holotapes? Fetch. Get to the G.E.C.K. in Vault 87? Fetch. Tesla Coil? Fetch, Rockland tunnel? Fetch. etc etc. Fallout New Vegas, while still present with fetch quests, has way less of them. I found New Vegas's quest more gripping, alot of Fallout 3's quests once I got them 'I bet I'll have to run n gun to the end of a long dungeon and find object A then take it to person B.

Clearing out a building gave you some form of a reward, a little info on the location, or loot. I can definitely see why some people don't miss this stuff at all, but I can't imagine why they consider a few more lines of dialogue to be a satisfactory replacement.
Loot yes. but often times, the building had little back story, it'd be nice if it had both to be honest. But I'd rather have added lore than loot everywhere I go. Take the Satcom Arrays, we never learn their pre-war purpose.

And anyone arguing realism and believability really ought to stop playing video games.

Be sure to remember this next time you go 'Realistically ____ would never happen because _____'
Devin Sluis

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 am

XD

argument for "believability" as you put it is solely believability with in the terms of the game world. A big part that makes a game world much better is having it internally continuous with it's own lore and setting. So that mean yeah super mutants and ghouls and such are "believable" within the setting but not say Final fantasy or Mass effect. In the previous games in the series, it's unheard of for things like mentioned by lots of us, that you'd have building with power and food left untouched for 200 years with people living in hovels and makeshift scrap building practically right next to them. they would have taken over the other building and used it's stuff and you'd never see or know what came before.
Riky Carrasco

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

It was, well, maybe on BELIEVABILITY, which Fallout 3 lacked. And, I write five papers a month, five pages each, and the best way of convincing people is finding a quote which matches your point.

Video game raters and critics do not count. Are you sure you want to believe them about fo3???? Last time I checked its one of the greatest games of all time. It could go into the Smithsonian. Don t believe what they say, before I break out like the rest of the thread of yearly and all time awards and quote great reviews. Also belvievable??? The pre war story yeah. After the war no. L.A.??? Gone leveled rubble all of it. DC absolutely gone. Nuclear winter for hundreds of years. There is and will be nothing like radaway by 2077. You would die. Don t get me going on realism or even believeability. The fact the any major city has any thing left at all is unbelievable. 1 single 20 megaton Chinese ICBM at Nellis would flush Vegas
Spencey!

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:41 pm

belvievable??? The pre war story yeah. After the war no. L.A.??? Gone leveled rubble all of it. DC absolutely gone. Nuclear winter for hundreds of years. There is and will be nothing like radaway by 2077. You would die. Don t get me going on realism or even believeability. The fact the any major city has any thing left at all is unbelievable. 1 single 20 megaton Chinese ICBM at Nellis would flush Vegas

*sigh*
"Believable within the franchise universes' set of laws".

Believability within the franchise universes' set of laws is not the same thing as "real life realism".
Rob

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:22 am

It was, well, maybe on BELIEVABILITY, which Fallout 3 lacked. And, I write five papers a month, five pages each, and the best way of convincing people is finding a quote which matches your point. Nobody yet has crafted a convincing argument denying my point, so it is still valid, and sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICncghAKBKc
Ok as the video states the agriculture wouldn't be as we know .Yet in fonv it's absolutely swell and can feed the full residents of the Mojave (think how huge the legion and ncr are) and as he states the roman empire lost it's civilization for a thousand years so i can argue that fonv isn't mr realistic.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICncghAKBKc
Ok as the video states the agriculture wouldn't be as we know .Yet in fonv it's absolutely swell and can feed the full residents of the Mojave (think how huge the legion and ncr are) and as he states the roman empire lost it's civilization for a thousand years so i can argue that fonv isn't mr realistic.

it is believable in the game universe, whereas Fallout 3 was not.
Jeff Tingler

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:51 am

This.

The only reason the NCR got crops in the first place was because of the GECK (Which by the way, is just a case full of seeds and documents, another place where Fallout 3 failed). The residents of Shady Sands, fresh from Vault 15, used the GECK to start the town.

By the way. yes, the Roman Empire is gone, long gone, but we a ton about it. Why? Books, poetry. Caesar himself read pre-war books on the Roman Empire, so that is how he gained his knowledge.
lisa nuttall

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Ok so fallout has it's own agricultural rules well then fo3 is more realistic in a "real world sense" then.
alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Ok so fallout has it's own agricultural rules well then fo3 is more realistic in a "real world sense" then.

The UNIVERSE has its own rules about the effects of nuclear war, Fallout 3 is in that universe, it broke the rules.
Pants

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:02 am

The UNIVERSE has its own rules about the effects of nuclear war, Fallout 3 is in that universe, it broke the rules.

this ^
Tai Scott

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 pm

IMO I think the two games seem to be talor fit for two seperate types of gamers. FO3 seems to be more in tuned with historians, and those who enjoy looking at massive ruins, of massive civilizations. NV is more of a survival game,, exploring the wide open wilderness, and eating a gecko steak by a campfire. Niether one is a "run and gun" and niether is better than the other IMO. I admit I miss combing through decaying ruins for some scrap of Old World info, but I truely enjoy wandering through the desert, balancing the various factions, and deciding who I want to stay and who I want to go. Personally I'd like to see the Old World Blues DLC end up primarily within a city, or small town, where I can explore buildings and get scraps of info on the Old World, but I still love NV.
brian adkins

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 am

IMO I think the two games seem to be talor fit for two seperate types of gamers. FO3 seems to be more in tuned with historians, and those who enjoy looking at massive ruins, of massive civilizations. NV is more of a survival game,, exploring the wide open wilderness, and eating a gecko steak by a campfire. Niether one is a "run and gun" and niether is better than the other IMO. I admit I miss combing through decaying ruins for some scrap of Old World info, but I truely enjoy wandering through the desert, balancing the various factions, and deciding who I want to stay and who I want to go. Personally I'd like to see the Old World Blues DLC end up primarily within a city, or small town, where I can explore buildings and get scraps of info on the Old World, but I still love NV.

*slowly claps* hands while being flabbergasted at the lyricist genus.You said that perfectly.
BlackaneseB

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:56 pm

*slowly claps* hands while being flabbergasted at the lyricist genus.You said that perfectly.

Oooo-kay...?
Lizs

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Oooo-kay...?

i'm agreeing with ur post.
amhain

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:04 pm

i'm agreeing with ur post.

Oooohhh. It's an 80s slow clap, that leads to other people clapping, not a 90's sarcastic "Hope you're proud of yourself, loser"... thing.

Thank you.
Guy Pearce

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Oooohhh. It's an 80s slow clap, that leads to other people clapping, not a 90's sarcastic "Hope you're proud of yourself, loser"... thing.

Thank you.

*sees Liberty Prime Standing up and clapping*

*Stands up and begins to clap himself while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_ro2aerQg#t=0m10s begins to play*
Fluffer

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:10 am

This
willow

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:25 pm

*sees Liberty Prime Standing up and clapping*

*Stands up and begins to clap himself while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_ro2aerQg#t=0m10s begins to play*

or this:
http://files.sharenator.com/Slow_Clap_ITS_A_GIF_PARTY-s420x315-140048-580.gif
Myles

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm

But you decide if you want that, also, its sad too when raising the guns and big guns skills make you badass, but you cant go for the pacific way

Thanks Shooter genre, really, I like you, but looks like that before the COD games kill you, you are gonna to kill Fallout if you dont make this more balanced and less inclined to you

I knew I would get some go play COD comments! But that is OK. Been playing RPGs since Ultima II. Even D&D before AD&D, so I like to think I know a little about the genre. But then again I love FPS too! Used to love fraging out with Quake, Doom and UT.

Here is the thing - Speech is boring. Big, big, big time boring. It is a single skill point check. Either pass or fail. In no way did it make my Role Playing Experience Better. It is simply the lock picking skill for quests. Want the quickest, best solution to a lot of quests? Then Speech. Not good, not evil. Not even gray. Just speech checks for the majority of the game.

Speech has simply moved from the semi-useless category of F3 to the level of Lockpick/Science.

As for choices and consequences? If combat is a total joke, then there is no real consequence to maxing out non-combat skills! I can wipe out half the monsters in the game with a 50-60 combat skill. Guns, EW, Explosives, Melee or Unarmed. It does not matter! There is no hard choices between combat skills and non-combat skills! It is simple - you get way more mileage out of non-combat skills. In fact you get HARDER choices and consequences trying to max out multiple combat skills! Cause you neglect your non-combat skills!

As for Exploring - I think The Rook hit the nail right on the head. F3 exploring was a lot better then FNV. That is OK, Bethesda has been making tons of sandbox worlds. Obsidian is just getting their feet wet. Eventually, they will find the right balance between F3 and FNV. Not saying I will not buy another Obsidian product - I liked Kotor2, NWN2 and FNV. But sometimes you have to voice what could have been better. And combat and exploring are two weak links.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:33 am

which is why it was not a true Fallout game, because Fallout is a true RPG franchise, until Bethesda messed it up, making it into some sort of action shooter, which is not a good thing, there are plenty of other games like that, Fallout was unique, it was a great RPG with an established fanbase.

But Mako it is fallout because Bethesda owns it now. The makers of the old games sold it to the highest bidder. I don t know the whole story of their motives, but it is not a turn based true rpg anymore. It is something new. It is good.... They will continue to work it I m sure. There r things from nv I want in fo4 and there were things from fo3 I wanted in nv. The best is somewhere in the middle. Keeping Obsidian is key IMO to create the ultimate gaming experience there is.
Floor Punch

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 pm

*sigh*
"Believable within the franchise universes' set of laws".

Believability within the franchise universes' set of laws is not the same thing as "real life realism".

Well I though the two were pretty similar in that aspect. Many of the things that old fo guards r saying about fo3 r in nv too.
Copy paste in both. Not enough voice actors in both. I can go on and on. It just that its old guards job to not see this stuff or they wouldn t really be og anymore. OG is needed to keep things in check, and Im sure Bethesda hears og, but they can t go back all the way. That was their intro to new gen of fo. They know what they are doing IMO. With the Obsidian people every thing is going to get refined and everyone will be happy. Like I say what we r all looking for og and new gen is somewhere in the middle. They ll get there.

"Perfection is unobtainable, but in the quest for it we can catch excellence." --- Vince Lombardi
Jessica Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas