exploring

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I love new vegas but I mess just hoping on the game and setting out in a random direction. I hope with dlc they will add more open ended exploring like with 3.
Amber Ably

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 pm

There will be no Broken Steel type DLC.

You can go anywhere you want in New Vegas. Its just that there will be enemies that are greater then your ability to kill. So you just have to find ways around them or get better weapons.

Its how RPGs shoudl be. Its how the Fallout and Fallout 2 are; it is how Fallout should be :fallout:
Brooke Turner

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 pm

There will be no Broken Steel type DLC.

You can go anywhere you want in New Vegas. Its just that there will be enemies that are greater then your ability to kill. So you just have to find ways around them or get better weapons.

Its how RPGs shoudl be. Its how the Fallout and Fallout 2 are; it is how Fallout should be :fallout:

Yes and im reallyyyy liking fallout.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Yes and im reallyyyy liking fallout.

If you are being sarcastic: :stare: If you are being sincere: :foodndrink:
Elena Alina

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:54 am

I hope he is being sarcastic...
James Wilson

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 am

I hope he is being sarcastic...

I hope you are being sarcastic, because Ace is being sarcastic.
Heather Stewart

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:18 pm

How can I miss exploring when it's present in New Vegas? OH! You mean mindless exploring with not point beyond run n' gun. No, I don't miss that.
u gone see

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 am

OH! You mean mindless exploring with not point beyond run n' gun. No, I don't miss that.

I don't mean to spilt hairs with you Colonel, but thats kind of a baseless accusation to make against Fallout 3.

Sure you can just run-and gun explore in Fallout 3, but thats not what us "explorers" refer to when we mean "exploration". You can run-in-gun explore in New Vegas too, and in my opinion there is more of it. (note just my opinon, I simply feel that New Vegas shines with its story, not its gameworld).

When I think of exploration in Fallout 3, I think of the buildings with various backstories such as LOB enterprises and the Dunwich building, along with little gems such as the McClellan Townhouse and the numerous terminals that allow me to piece together what life before the war was like, and even sometimes what the war was like.

The only place in New Vegas that I've been able to experience something similar was the HnH Tool factory, and I really wish there were more buildings like it.

So in short, while I don't necessarily think New Vegas needs to be more like Fallout 3 (hence I don't really agree with the OP), there's no need to ridicule something I find great in Fallout 3 while defending New Vegas. :)
Javier Borjas

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 am

I don't mean to spilt hairs with you Colonel, but thats kind of a baseless accusation to make against Fallout 3.

Sure you can just run-and gun explore in Fallout 3, but thats not what us "explorers" refer to when we mean "exploration". You can run-in-gun explore in New Vegas too, and in my opinion there is more of it. (note just my opinon, I simply feel that New Vegas shines with its story, not its gameworld).

When I think of exploration in Fallout 3, I think of the buildings with various backstories such as LOB enterprises and the Dunwich building, along with little gems such as the McClellan Townhouse and the numerous terminals that allow me to piece together what life before the war was like, and even sometimes what the war was like.

The only place in New Vegas that I've been able to experience something similar was the HnH Tool factory, and I really wish there were more buildings like it.

So in short, while I don't necessarily think New Vegas needs to be more like Fallout 3 (hence I don't really agree with the OP), there's no need to ridicule something I find great in Fallout 3 while defending New Vegas. :)

This.

When I played there was no 'running and gunning' scenarios. When I explored I looked for loot and holotapes to try and find the backstory of places and when I came across a place with a dark past I got the chills. I found none of that in NV. It feels like there was nothing in NV until the NCR and the Legion showed up IMO. Not an insult but it's something I loved in F3.

I'm hoping a DLC will add actually Legion territory (You know the entire eastern part of the map that looks like a giant stupid rock that's fifty feet above sea level. Again my opinion.
Lewis Morel

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 am

This.

When I played there was no 'running and gunning' scenarios. When I explored I looked for loot and holotapes to try and find the backstory of places and when I came across a place with a dark past I got the chills. I found none of that in NV. It feels like there was nothing in NV until the NCR and the Legion showed up IMO. Not an insult but it's something I loved in F3.

Someone showed me http://www.playthepast.org/?p=459 a while back, I think it perfectly sums up what I love about Fallout 3's exploration.
mishionary

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 am

No no no. Fallout 3 had alot of great exploration, but alot of people seem to say 'Fallout 3 had more places to go and kill things'. Which bugs me since F3 had alot of amazing backstory places (Despite whatever some may say. I'm not assaulting Fallout 3, more assaulting the idea that Fallout 3 having hoardes of killables counted as 'exploring'
Angela Woods

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 pm

No no no. Fallout 3 had alot of great exploration, but alot of people seem to say 'Fallout 3 had more places to go and kill things'. (Despite whatever some may say. I'm not assaulting Fallout 3, more assaulting the idea that Fallout 3 having hoardes of killables counted as 'exploring'

Ah yes, but I wouldn't count the people who say "I want more baddies to kill" as explorers, nor would I count bursting into a building with full auto on as exploring. :)

It does bug me though that because of those people, many who dislike Fallout 3 often think thats what we mean by "exploring" (that and finding "cool weapons" :dry: ) and its not.
Anthony Santillan

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 am

numerous terminals that allow me to piece together what life before the war was like, and even sometimes what the war was like.

Really? I don't know where you were looking but there are a lot of backstory terminals.
Adam

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:43 am

Really? I don't know where you were looking but there are a lot of backstory terminals.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few, but not nearly as many as fallout 3, nor do they convey the same message to me. (as I said, the HnH tool factoy is a good example of what I think there should be more of in New Vegas, so I know its there, its just not nearly enough for me)
Kristina Campbell

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 am

Ever been to Vault 11? It's like my favorite place in all of fallout.(well, right now at least)
Phoenix Draven

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Ever been to Vault 11? It's like my favorite place in all of fallout.

Yes I have, and it was really good in many ways, but I compared it simiarly to the Vaults in Fallout 3, which I though were pretty good exploration wise as well.

Its also one of those places where most people visit as a result of a quest, I usually like to come upon something like Vault 11 when its just on my own poking through the ruins, and I'm not directed in any way to go there (thats what real exploring is to me). Fallout 3 has more of those types of places in my view.
Amber Ably

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 am

If you are being sarcastic: :stare: If you are being sincere: :foodndrink:

Why would i be sarcastic about it. Im sincere im playing them and there [censored] awesome!
Maddy Paul

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 am

I agree I miss this type of exploring. some of the buildings I thoguht might hold a bit of prewar info or something interesting but just turn out to be nothing. I was hoping to find a note by the abandoned highwayman or to explore the airport near cottonwood cove. Or even explore the test site. I thought they missed some oppotunities with some areas but ahwell.

FO wasn't about prewar exploration more along the lines of seeing civilizations prosper and war with each other over resources and how it never stops. But I do like the way Beth handled exploration in FO3. One thing I enjoyed more in FO3 but overall FONV is a better game. Theirs just more to explore in NPCs and story in FONV and not on random terminals like FO3.
Maeva

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 am

I wasn't aware there was something preventing exploring in New Vegas.
Wayne Cole

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 pm

IMHO both FO3 and FONV are great games for different reasons. FO3 was more about the world sure you had to find dad but he was the plot device to get you out of the bunker and a red herring to chase that was really more a guide to propel the player and provide some direction for the player to follow. FO3 had plenty of areas to explore for a more in depth story and it was necessary to do so because if you just did the main quest "find dad" and ignored alot of the side stuff the game was really quick. The side stuff in FO3 was necesary to bulk up the game, not that i am complaining mind you, just more of pointing out the obvious, and that side stuff was of superior quality which is why some lament it absence in FONV. In FONV the world is not so much the story as is the factions and how the player chooses to deal with them. The player is more central to the story in FONV as opposed to the world as in FO3, and the side areas in FONV were more plot devices to build the player, provide locations to get gear and a bit of the "desert" experience. In the end though FONV always returned to player choice as the most important thing. I liked FO3 and FONV and choosing which one was better is not something i can and would be willing to do really as i said both excel in different ways, both are completely different experiences, and that fellas is a good thing. Different is not bad it is just different and Bethesda using 2 different studios to do this was either brilliant or just dumb luck, but i will take it in either case.

Asai
Miguel

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:42 am

Yes to op. There is way too much freezing going on to really, really look at this place. I have still covered much of the map and there are some caves and a couple shacks, but nothing like the uncharted ruins of a major city like in fo3.

I don t buy any guides so what or who is out there is a mystery. I look for any pre war info#1 or relics to gently place on a table at my pad. I also hope to find like a hidden town. A vault with unhostile people that need help something like that.

In post nuclear war major city ruins I open every door expecting the worst. Enemies of all types would use ruins as shelter, so I m always ready with my CQC packege before I enter no doubt. I just miss the uncharted city ruins. More chance for everything and anything. The Chinese remnent soilders were a great touch. Fo3 had so many recognisable land marks. When I walked into the mall I was just like omg. Yeah i m looking forward to Bethesda back at the helm. I think we are going east to uncharted major city ru
Budgie

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 pm

nor would I count bursting into a building with full auto on as exploring. :) :dry: ) and its not.

LT u better go in locked and loaded this is a post nuclear war game. You never know what s in that door. More ways to get killed the constant feeling of danger is what I imagine it would be like.
bimsy

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 am

So, we need big cities ?

I found the desert of Nevada more worth of exploring that the Urban Ruins of Washington settings IMO

I wasn't aware there was something preventing exploring in New Vegas.

You can go wherever you want, except north, I personally went to The Great Khans base after leaving Goodspring
Genevieve

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:11 am

This.

I'm hoping a DLC will add actually Legion territory (You know the entire eastern part of the map that looks like a giant stupid rock that's fifty feet above sea level. Again my opinion.

THIS
Roberta Obrien

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 am

this is a post nuclear war game.

:eek: oh no it is not, it is a post nuclear role playing game.
Juliet

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas