exploring

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 am

Ever been to Vault 11? It's like my favorite place in all of fallout.(well, right now at least)

yes i agree, the vaults in new vegas are pretty good, i wish there were other good spots like that in new vegas cause its getting real boring to wander around the desert with so little to do.
Angela Woods

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Why would i be sarcastic about it. Im sincere im playing them and there [censored] awesome!

I was just being overly cautious. I know you are playing them and its good to now you think they are [censored] awesome! :foodndrink:

More people should to play them.
Alex [AK]

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 am

The exploring in NV is crap, in fact the game is crap!
It just doesn't compete with FO3 (or even the dated originals )
Hopefully FO4 will bring back the magic that NV was missing
kyle pinchen

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 am

It just doesn't compete with FO3 (or even the dated originals )

I can understand how you feel it does not compete with Fallout 3 ( I don't agree) but I don't get how it does not compete with the "dated" Originals? Fallout New Vegas is more like the Originals then Fallout 3 in every single way.
Rodney C

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 am

No, the exploration in FO3 was great, but did not make any sense.

"Electricity, pre-war electronic equipment, powered and still working computers (just think about that for a second), working cola & snack machines, weapons, ammo, scrap metal (needed by many), and even unlooted first aid boxes are everywhere."

"In fact, I'm not sure that the people you meet are even aware that they are living in a post-apocalyptic environment. One woman is writing a survival guide (a couple of centuries too late for that, don’t you think?), being genuinely curious about what happens when you step on a mine. Another lady is busy collecting Nuka-cola bottles and giving Nuka-Cola history tours. Makes sense, what else is there to do in a post-apocalyptic world? "

"he biggest problem is not so much that it isn’t Fallout, but rather that the setting doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Bethesda had an opportunity to craft a cohesive “living & breathing” world, but instead chose to build an amusemant park with a bit of everything ‘cool’ they could think of. To be fair, some things Bethesda did are brilliant and atmospheric, but they are isolated elements that never form a coherent and consistent world that makes even the most basic sense."

"The war-torn environment is superb. Broken buildings, highways, and bridges, interiors, ruined subway stations, the remains of the capital city are done nicely and convincingly. It’s a fantastic work, even if it’s off the mark by 200 years."

"Unfortunately, the previously mentioned design decisions cripple the exploration a bit. It’s relatively easy to acquire the best equipment and max your key skills before you see half of the gameworld. Considering that many places don’t have any “reward” other than killing and looting whatever inhabits them, it would have been nice to have something else to do there other than sight-seeing and looting."

All quotes taken from http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=47347
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 am

I can understand how you feel it does not compete with Fallout 3 ( I don't agree) but I don't get how it does not compete with the "dated" Originals? Fallout New Vegas is more like the Originals then Fallout 3 in every single way.

I think he/she means the game itself doesn't compete. not how similar they are. i've played FO 1,2,3 and NV and feel NV was the worst of the lot. The game just stinks of low budget! Fallout has become too big for a two bit company like obsidian
Del Arte

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am

I think he/she means the game itself doesn't compete. not how similar they are. i've played FO 1,2,3 and NV and feel NV was the worst of the lot. The game just stinks of low budget! Fallout has become too big for a two bit company like obsidian

No.
DAVId MArtInez

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 am

"Electricity, pre-war electronic equipment, powered and still working computers (just think about that for a second), working cola & snack machines, weapons, ammo, scrap metal (needed by many), and even unlooted first aid boxes are everywhere."

"In fact, I'm not sure that the people you meet are even aware that they are living in a post-apocalyptic environment. One woman is writing a survival guide (a couple of centuries too late for that, don’t you think?), being genuinely curious about what happens when you step on a mine. Another lady is busy collecting Nuka-cola bottles and giving Nuka-Cola history tours. Makes sense, what else is there to do in a post-apocalyptic world? "

"he biggest problem is not so much that it isn’t Fallout, but rather that the setting doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Bethesda had an opportunity to craft a cohesive “living & breathing” world, but instead chose to build an amusemant park with a bit of everything ‘cool’ they could think of. To be fair, some things Bethesda did are brilliant and atmospheric, but they are isolated elements that never form a coherent and consistent world that makes even the most basic sense."

"The war-torn environment is superb. Broken buildings, highways, and bridges, interiors, ruined subway stations, the remains of the capital city are done nicely and convincingly. It’s a fantastic work, even if it’s off the mark by 200 years."

"Unfortunately, the previously mentioned design decisions cripple the exploration a bit. It’s relatively easy to acquire the best equipment and max your key skills before you see half of the gameworld. Considering that many places don’t have any “reward” other than killing and looting whatever inhabits them, it would have been nice to have something else to do there other than sight-seeing and looting."

and what is the point of this?
All you've done is copy someone else's OPINION! very clever! lol
That opinion means no more than the rest of us. At the very least express your own opinion
Nicole Coucopoulos

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 am

Exploration is still there. Your point being?
I am glad that NV is "crap" when compared to Fallout 3. From my point of view, it's the Holy Grail while Fallout 3 is an old wooden mug with lot of (plot)holes.

In all seriousness, I enjoyed playing both those games(yeees even F3).

The game just stinks of low budget! Fallout has become too big for a two bit company like obsidian

I am sorry, I just had to laugh so hard, I spilled my soda on the keyboard. :dry:
Soph

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 am

One bit of exploration Fallout 3 introduced to the series that I liked was the radio signals that got stronger the closer the player was to the source.

No prompts or explanation, you just got beeps. You were trusted to work out that a treasure hunt was going on and that you were allowed to solve it yourself. I missed that kind of thing in New Vegas.

I enjoyed Dead Money's reverse psychology of this, with the speaker traps, but you were pretty much told from the start what was going on there.
Enie van Bied

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:51 am

Well thats your opinion. Mine is Obisidian did an awesome job with New Vegas. Its alot like the Originals in every way. It has way better writing then Fallout 3 in everyway. If there are any faults as in not enough "exploration" its because Bethesda did not give them enough time and Bethesda dropped the ball in their job of doing QA. It was one of two jobs they had. Do QA and publish/promote it.

New Vegas is not better then the Originals. Nothing in IMO will ever be but its way better then Fallout 3.

1) Fallout
2) Fallout 2 (close second)
3) New Vegas
4) Fallout Tactics
5) Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 had a huge budget and more people working on it then New Vegas and all we got was writing that a child learning to write could come up with and EXPLOSIONS!

My hope for Fallout 4 would be. The great writing like the Originals and New Vegas. Game mechanics of Fallout 2 as in Character character creation, lock picking and so on. I am not talking TB. Fallout Tactics, tactical combat and Fallout 3's exploration.
YO MAma

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 am

Well thats your opinion. Mine is Obisidian did an awesome job with New Vegas. Its alot like the Originals in every way. It has way better writing then Fallout 3 in everyway. If there are any faults as in not enough "exploration" its because Bethesda did not give them enough time and Bethesda dropped the ball in their job of doing QA. It was one of two jobs they had. Do QA and publish/promote it.

New Vegas is not better then the Originals. Nothing in IMO will ever be but its way better then Fallout 3.

1) Fallout
2) Fallout 2 (close second)
3) New Vegas
4) Fallout Tactics
5) Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 had a huge budget and more people working on it then New Vegas and all we got was writing that a child learning to write could come up with and EXPLOSIONS!

My hope for Fallout 4 would be. The great writing like the Originals and New Vegas. Game mechanics of Fallout 2 as in Character character creation, lock picking and so on. I am not talking TB. Fallout Tactics, tactical combat and Fallout 3's exploration.

:thumbsup:
Genevieve

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 pm

and what is the point of this?
All you've done is copy someone else's OPINION! very clever! lol
That opinion means no more than the rest of us. At the very least express your own opinion

But WE THINK in the same way, so, his point are valids

Thats your opinion, it was lot better then Michale Bay :The game with a giant robot Fallout 3 IMO,

But yeah, you just dont like Obsidian, calling a "bit company"?, yeah, sure, you really are in position to say that :rolleyes:

There must be a reason of why they will develop Dungeon Siege 3 :whistling:

No thanks, leave that "Magic" for the TES series, where fits better
Luis Reyma

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:13 am

exploration in fallout 3 didn't make sense to you ? well its not that important that it makes or doesn't make sense, its far more important to actually have places to explore than not having places to explore, so its just bad game design to make a huge open world with next to nothing in it to explore.
Haley Cooper

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 am

exploration in fallout 3 didn't make sense to you ? well its not that important that it makes or doesn't make sense, its far more important to actually have places to explore than not having places to explore, so its just bad game design to make a huge open world with next to nothing in it to explore.

there's more places that actually make sense in NV to "explore". IIRC. FO3 just had lots of "random" theme park like "attractions" that didn't have any connectivity to each other or the game world. They where just mostly generic baddie base #980967 with "phat loot" and respawned every 3 days. While NV does have similar things they atleast are connected better to the game world and usually have a quest or so involved in finding and exploring them.
Tanya

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 am

Its not when the publishers give you only few years to develop the game

Why not use Mapnodes then, like the olds Fallouts?, like Bioware games?
MR.BIGG

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 am

Well sign me up with not enough run and gun! Or just fun combat in general. There are lots of backstories and interesting computer terminals for exploring. And great quests are all over the place. But want to have a night of tactial or challenging fighting. Eh, not here. Not unless you consider fighting endless waves of boring Cazadors. Or beyond boring sneak sniping Deathclaws. I love great quests and great writing. But I also love taking my character and having some fun combat.

F3 had funner uber OMG combat. (LOL, tried to sound dumb there!) Ack, I have started to hate the Long, Boring Journey(No wonder the ghouls wanted to hop on a rocket ship and skip that boring part! And call it the Great Journey) between Novac and New Vegas. There is frigging nothing there. After that you can shoot Cazadors. Or blind Deathclaws. Or a couple of pathetic legion guys. Where are the epic battles! Where are the heart pounding show downs!? Not here. Better go raise your speech skill and pass the heart pounding speech check for interesting dialogue!

Yawn, getting tired. Must lay down. Too sleepy listing too the (good) voice acting!

Sorry, there old timers. Good games need Good Combat and Good Quests. It is sad when raising my speech skill makes me more bad-a$$ then raising my guns skill!
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:01 am

I wasn't aware there was something preventing exploring in New Vegas.

They're called Cazadores.

I jest, but only partly.

Anyway, Lt. Andronicus pretty much hits the nail on the head for me (good link too, ta!). Stumbling across the Groknak The Barbarian text adventure in the Hubris Comics building, or finding a Raider drug lab in a SAT-COM relay tower; finding a note with "LOOK IN THE GIBSON HOUSE" written on it, or reading a nurse's account of the days following the climix of the war... it was the little details that made exploring so rewarding in FO3, and it NV suffers by comparison in this regard IMO. The number of tiny interior maps doesn't help matters either, where are Vegas' schools, hospitals, office blocks for us to explore?

As to the copy/pasted argument about how much sense all these intact-after-200-years computers etc. make... well, it's a fair point, but me, I'd rather not look a gift horse in the mouth. I'd rather the hint of unrealism if it lets me read all these cool/interesting/funny/sad log entries etc. It's a duller world without them. Again, IMO, lest anyone get their knickers in a twist.

(We've already had the "theme park" argument wheeled out, and even map nodes have been brought up apropos of absolutely nothing... great thread for FO forum bingo, this. Just waiting on "why must the game end" and someone quoting "I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy, maybe you've seen him?", then I'll have a full house.)
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Sorry, there old timers. Good games need Good Combat and Good Quests. It is sad when raising my speech skill makes me more bad-a$$ then raising my guns skill!

But you decide if you want that, also, its sad too when raising the guns and big guns skills make you badass, but you cant go for the pacific way
kelly thomson

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:29 am

But you decide if you want that, also, its sad too when raising the guns and big guns skills make you badass, but you cant go for the pacific way

Thanks Shooter genre, really, I like you, but looks like that before the COD games kill you, you are gonna to kill Fallout if you dont make this more balanced and less inclined to you
Kay O'Hara

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 am

It's sad? It's perfectly logical. Fallout is a Role-Playing game after all.

I think Call of Duty is the game you are looking for. That way plox.
teeny

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:08 pm

:eek: oh no it is not, it is a post nuclear role playing game.

There was a nuclear war and this is after it, So I think it is a post nucear war game. fo3 had alot of rpg influence, but I really don t think it was a full blown rpg. Now nv is a rpg. I ll call fo3 a light rpg. Kind of like a Red Dead Redemption, but alot better because of the whole fallout idea and its more rpg than rdr. I thought rdr was good too. Fo3 Was some kind rpg open world shooter hybrid. I ve really never seen anything like it.
Bereket Fekadu

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 am

IMO obsidian did a fine job in the time it took and what they had to work with. I d buy another fo Obsidian did. IF Bethesdas new engine is as awesome as Ive heard then alot of my grips about both games should be taken care of. I hope they r able to make more. It will keep everyone happy.

If they rotate Obsidian slower paced west rpg... Bethesda wild wild east rpg/openworld shooter hybrid, and take notes from each other on a really sweet engine it will work great. IMO
Phoenix Draven

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:05 am

I d buy another fo Obsidian did.
As would I.
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:31 pm

But Fallout was a RPG from the beginning
Eliza Potter

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas