exploring

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 pm

there's more places that actually make sense in NV to "explore". IIRC. FO3 just had lots of "random" theme park like "attractions" that didn't have any connectivity to each other or the game world. They where just mostly generic baddie base #980967 with "phat loot" and respawned every 3 days. While NV does have similar things they atleast are connected better to the game world and usually have a quest or so involved in finding and exploring them.

Arlington National Cemetary, Capitol Building, The Mall, The Naional Archives, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, The White House, Fort Constantine ( I really wish that ICBM would have launched and vaporized some Chinamen lol) the SATCOM array towers, the Georgetown area. I thought these were all really important places that provided hrs of wonder and playing enjoyment. Sure there was some stuff there that had to be put down, but it just wouldn t be as fun without a little danger.
Elina

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 am

Thanks Shooter genre, really, I like you, but looks like that before the COD games kill you, you are gonna to kill Fallout if you dont make this more balanced and less inclined to you

Nah it won t die. I don t have the numbers, but I bet fo3 made tons and tons of profit. It s not the old FOs anymore Bethesda made something else. Something that is better than pure rpg and way way way better than a cod 1 player. I agree that speech and avoiding fights or being able to lie more is important and should be in more. I wanted to lie more in NV. Bethesda created a monster and they can t look back. They really can t even slow down. Thats why I say the rotate games and take notes, but niether should stop what they r doing. FO world is the best thing going IMO fo3 & nv
biiibi

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 pm

But Fallout was a RPG from the beginning

I understand that, but it was nothing for a long time (no games made) then Bethesda bought it and kind of created something different something better than everything else out there IMO. A little tinkering and it can be a world beater IMO l ve got people to play it that would never play rpgs and they just loved it. I do hear you that the rpg element needs turned up a little bit, but fo3 can t be compred to a boring old shooter it was way more complexed.
Loane

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:03 am

IMO obsidian did a fine job in the time it took and what they had to work with. I d buy another fo Obsidian did. IF Bethesdas new engine is as awesome as Ive heard then alot of my grips about both games should be taken care of. I hope they r able to make more. It will keep everyone happy.

If they rotate Obsidian slower paced west rpg... Bethesda wild wild east rpg/openworld shooter hybrid, and take notes from each other on a really sweet engine it will work great. IMO

People keep saying obsidian did OK cosidering the time they had and other stuff. All that matters is the end product, im not interested in how long they had, their budget or who made it. All i care about is that i bought a game for £40 that is full of bugs, freezing and became boring very quickly. I feel ripped off
Seen some of the screen shots for skyrim and they look fantastic. FO4 should be awesome,
Mariana

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 am

I understand that, but it was nothing for a long time (no games made) then Bethesda bought it and kind of created something different something better than everything else out there IMO. A little tinkering and it can be a world beater IMO l ve got people to play it that would never play rpgs and they just loved it. I do hear you that the rpg element needs turned up a little bit, but fo3 can t be compred to a boring old shooter it was way more complexed.

Fallout 3 should be more RPG than Shooter, its the main genre of the game since the 90

Also, Fallout was popular even before Bethesda bought it, at the same time and level of the TES games back in the Arena and Dagerfall times
Facebook me

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:01 am

Also, Fallout was popular even before Bethesda bought it, at the same time and level of the TES games back in the Arena and Dagerfall times

I m sure it was popular the story alone if it was a novel. Im talking before the war to fo nv in great detail. It would sell.. The fo idea is a draw. Bethesda put it on console and fo interest had to have went through the roof. 360 had its 1 000 000th xbox live customer 3 years ago. That was just on - line. They made a big deal about it. Throw in ps3 plus all the pc people thats a big market. They took advantage of that big market. It was way more rpg than shooter. No one remebers talking to the lady in underworld for 20mins about her story when the war happened and what it was like to turn into a ghoul . People refuse to see the depth in the fo3 story. Unless your dead mothers dream, and your dad martyring himself to save save his lifes work mean nothing to you then it was a bad story
Eoh

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 am

fo3 had alot of rpg influence, but I really don t think it was a full blown rpg.

which is why it was not a true Fallout game, because Fallout is a true RPG franchise, until Bethesda messed it up, making it into some sort of action shooter, which is not a good thing, there are plenty of other games like that, Fallout was unique, it was a great RPG with an established fanbase.
aisha jamil

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 am

Good to see the F3 vs New Vegas wars are still going on, it'll be interesting to see whether it'll outlive the Origins vs DA2 wars currently on BioWare boards :rofl:

(We've already had the "theme park" argument wheeled out, and even map nodes have been brought up apropos of absolutely nothing... great thread for FO forum bingo, this. Just waiting on "why must the game end" and someone quoting "I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy, maybe you've seen him?", then I'll have a full house.)

:lmao: Seen one of these threads, seen them all.
Tessa Mullins

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Good to see the F3 vs New Vegas wars are still going on, it'll be interesting to see whether it'll outlive the Origins vs DA2 wars currently on BioWare boards :rofl:

It depends which got the next game 1st.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:32 pm

People keep saying obsidian did OK cosidering the time they had and other stuff. All that matters is the end product, im not interested in how long they had, their budget or who made it. All i care about is that i bought a game for £40 that is full of bugs, freezing and became boring very quickly. I feel ripped off
Seen some of the screen shots for skyrim and they look fantastic. FO4 should be awesome,

Do we even play the same game? Im have 80 hours put on NV and I still see alot of options I havent tried, houndreds of mods and character stories I want to try out :)
Kim Bradley

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 am

There was a nuclear war and this is after it, So I think it is a post nucear war game. fo3 had alot of rpg influence, but I really don t think it was a full blown rpg. Now nv is a rpg. I ll call fo3 a light rpg. Kind of like a Red Dead Redemption, but alot better because of the whole fallout idea and its more rpg than rdr. I thought rdr was good too. Fo3 Was some kind rpg open world shooter hybrid. I ve really never seen anything like it.

No, Fallout is a post Nuclear RPG. We are a character living in a post Nuclear World. The way you say it "post nuclear war game" implies that the game is a war game. A post nuclear COD. In RPGs you are able to play many types of characters and join or help pretty much every faction. Fallout 3 had some RPG elements yes, but it was mainly a FPS with very limited options and it forces you to join the BoS aka Good Guys while it does not allow you to join the Bad Guys.

Both Fallout and Fallout 2 have "A post nuclear role playing game" under Fallout.
Ashley Tamen

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 am

I wasn't aware there was something preventing exploring in New Vegas.

you're kidding right?
Kate Norris

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

you're kidding right?

No he wasnt, there is nothing that prevents you to explore
D LOpez

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:42 pm

sorry if someone's already said this but are you not aware of the 'explorer' perk? I have just activated it and let me tell you, I am have a fine time exploring.
Josh Dagreat

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 pm

No he wasnt, there is nothing that prevents you to explore

Its the lack of interesting places to explore, thats the problem. not enough back story or information in the game. Its pretty empty
Barbequtie

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:54 pm

FO3 had something to suit (almost) every taste:

RPG leveling
FPS handling
places to go, things to do - without a quest...
back stories for almost every location
Large expanses to explore
Random Encounters
Craftable Weapons
and yes... buildings full of raiders & sewers full of ghouls - there for no other reason than for dungeon crawling

Before the die-hards start blasting me: I did play the original Fallout. While I admire the story and the fact it is a true RPG,
I prefer FO3 to be honest.

BTY I also play tabletop RPGs like D&D 3.5, Rifts, and Palladium fantasy.
I am a fan of TES series as well, but I don't blast Morrowind and Oblivion because they weren't exactly like Arena or Daggerfell.

If things never changed you would still be playing Fallout on your commodore.
Nymph

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

FO3 had something to suit (almost) every taste:

RPG leveling
FPS handling
places to go, things to do - without a quest...
back stories for almost every location
Large expanses to explore
Random Encounters
Craftable Weapons
and yes... buildings full of raiders & sewers full of ghouls - there for no other reason than for dungeon crawling

Feels like a round table with a dirty cloth.
Kahli St Dennis

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 pm

I miss it a lot. F3 had endless amounts of buildings filled with mutants, ghouls and raiders to explore. Most had terminals with fun or interesting stories on them.

Of course I wasn't expecting many buildings in the Mojave desert, but there are caves, which they just filled with creatures, and nothing else. :sadvaultboy:
Lovingly

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 am

Its the lack of interesting places to explore, thats the problem. not enough back story or information in the game. Its pretty empty

You mean the lack of epic loots everywhere?
Nauty

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:01 pm

I don't mean to spilt hairs with you Colonel, but thats kind of a baseless accusation to make against Fallout 3.

Sure you can just run-and gun explore in Fallout 3, but thats not what us "explorers" refer to when we mean "exploration". You can run-in-gun explore in New Vegas too, and in my opinion there is more of it. (note just my opinon, I simply feel that New Vegas shines with its story, not its gameworld).

When I think of exploration in Fallout 3, I think of the buildings with various backstories such as LOB enterprises and the Dunwich building, along with little gems such as the McClellan Townhouse and the numerous terminals that allow me to piece together what life before the war was like, and even sometimes what the war was like.

The only place in New Vegas that I've been able to experience something similar was the HnH Tool factory, and I really wish there were more buildings like it.

So in short, while I don't necessarily think New Vegas needs to be more like Fallout 3 (hence I don't really agree with the OP), there's no need to ridicule something I find great in Fallout 3 while defending New Vegas. :)

I logged in for the first time in over a month just to say that I completely agree with you. :)

I LOVED all the epic locations in Fallout 3. Dunwhich bldg, little lamplight, Citadel, paradise falls, Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, etc. Not nearly as much of that in New Vegas.

Now, I know that Vegas isn't nearly as built up as DC, but they still could've created a few more large, explorable buidlings.
Nathan Hunter

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 am

You mean the lack of epic loots everywhere?

I imagine if that's what he meant, that's what he would have said.

Still, don't let me stop you duffing up that straw-man...
marie breen

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:36 pm

I miss it a lot. F3 had endless amounts of buildings filled with mutants, ghouls and raiders to explore. Most had terminals with fun or interesting stories on them.

Of course I wasn't expecting many buildings in the Mojave desert, but there are caves, which they just filled with creatures, and nothing else. :sadvaultboy:

Explore? You mean kill? Fallout was built on realism, and that is the beef I had with FO3, NOTHING made any sense at all.

"Unfortunately, the previously mentioned design decisions cripple the exploration a bit. It’s relatively easy to acquire the best equipment and max your key skills before you see half of the gameworld. Considering that many places don’t have any “reward” other than killing and looting whatever inhabits them, it would have been nice to have something else to do there other than sight-seeing and looting. "

That quote is undeniable.
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am

No, Fallout is a post Nuclear RPG. We are a character living in a post Nuclear World. The way you say it "post nuclear war game" implies that the game is a war game. A post nuclear COD. In RPGs you are able to play many types of characters and join or help pretty much every faction. Fallout 3 had some RPG elements yes, but it was mainly a FPS with very limited options and it forces you to join the BoS aka Good Guys while it does not allow you to join the Bad Guys.

Both Fallout and Fallout 2 have "A post nuclear role playing game" under Fallout.

Fallout 3 is an rpg full stop you can create many divers characters and there is plenty of choices to be had.@ alexman explore doesn't mean just kill.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:07 am

I imagine if that's what he meant, that's what he would have said.

Still, don't let me stop you duffing up that straw-man...

Nice. :foodndrink:

I don't like it when people automatically equate exploring with "finding epic loot".

case in point: Georgetown Townhouse-absolutely no "loot" what-so-ever, but is one of my most favorite locations in the game, and I was astounded when I happened to come across it (for those of you that don't know what it is, its the house with the Mr. Handy that does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzkZTzD4hg)
Doniesha World

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Explore? You mean kill? Fallout was built on realism, and that is the beef I had with FO3, NOTHING made any sense at all.

"Unfortunately, the previously mentioned design decisions cripple the exploration a bit. It’s relatively easy to acquire the best equipment and max your key skills before you see half of the gameworld. Considering that many places don’t have any “reward” other than killing and looting whatever inhabits them, it would have been nice to have something else to do there other than sight-seeing and looting. "

That quote is undeniable.

Fallout was built on realism????
I think you need to get out more!!
quoting other people again.. sigh
also how the hell does explore mean kill??? there totally different
Kim Kay

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas