Fallout New Vegas Pros & Cons with Frustration

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:56 pm

I never figured in Fallout3 you'd be the savour The hero on the world that single handed took down the evils outside the vault To me it was more about your smaller roll as a hero or the villain & the choices you made, would you sacrifice yourself or a friend or someone you just met could you live with the choice. I never expected to play a large roll in the enclave brother hood's story it was on how you as a hero would deal with the choices in front of you, Fallout 3 is a large game that placed complete freedom on your character & asked what will you do, would you be just another villain in the waste land see everyone outside the vault as nothing but filth & kill everyone because you don't know them or would you have a heart help those in need with whatever small task on the way to finding your father. the Fallout series took away the rules & gavd you total freedom to do whatever you want & you knowing right from wrong what would you do How would you live with the choices you make
Margarita Diaz

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am

PROS:

Tabitha > than that annoying 3dog idiot (do not FEAR the battle cattle!)
Silenced weapons other than a weak-ass pistol
mods for weapons
companion perks and personalities
the detail put into all of the non-plot essential characters
an end sequence that I actually have to interact with (no following a giant robot of doom)
wild-west showdown in the starter town
the sasparilla-star reward
prosttutes having real personalities
making a non-combat specialized character is feasible
feeding the children in Freeside
nightkin and the story behind them
the amount of material developing factions of the course of the game (seeing the good, bad, and ugly)
playing dodgeball with the Boomers
hardcoe mode

CONS:

not being able to craft mods and the small selection of mods
energy weapons felt a bit stale and a lot of them were weak
no cooking recipes for tacos
many quests felt stunted and made me think, "Is that all?"
the sniper rifle needs more time between shots so that it isn't so overpowered
explosives are only good for crippling limbs against tough opponents
veronica will stand there and get hit without counter attacking when fighting deathclaws.....watching her get hit 5 times and not punching back annoyed the hell out of me
rex and ed-e picking fights randomly with non-hostile NPCs
skill magazines
menus display the required skill for passing checks. I would rather just not see the dialogue option without the skill and just have things say "not enough skill to do the desired task".
I wish the battle for the dam took you through a greater portion of it
no optional, super-large dungeon filled with extremely ill-tempered nasties (although including one in DLC would be good enough I guess)
I can not have companions put on non-armored clothes. I want to play dress-up!
no desert mirages

That is all off the top of my head.
Scott

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Yes, it does. They just fight don't fight for Yes Man, which is the ending path you took. This is actually spelled out in these quests as you align them with other factions.

So if say both Khans and Bos are aligned with NCR, and I take Caesar's side, is it possible for me to lose the battle?!
I'd gladly swallow back my every complain if it were true. Somebody, did you try it?
emily grieve

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Why? For realism or to make it where nobody would use the element anyways and it would have just been another wasted part of gameplay?

Anyways, I agree with the OP that the game is getting pretty boring. It doesn't draw me in as much as Fallout 3 did.

Actually my reasoning is just that sometimes I can be a total [censored] and I think that plastic surgery is a minor issue in this game. I used the plastic surgery option once in Fallout 3.
Chloé

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:49 pm

The Liberty Prime ending in FO3 was one of the best ending I ever saw in a game. A giant trash talking , nuke throwing, laser eye robot, you dont expect to see somthing like that in action, but they pulled it off with flyin colors. Also from what im reading the multi choice factions in NV are just the same quest, like the same book under a different title.

My very first playthrough...where I had no idea what was coming..."Take it Back" was magical. Finding out LP was operational, then running through the Citadel Courtyard, while Gunny and the others were cheering as they hoisted LP over the wall to march on the Enclave...then following him with my companions and the Pride as he gave the 'Clavers what they so richly deserved while cheerfully spouting his anti-communist slogans was one of the most memorable levels I have ever played in a game. The subsequent playthroughs were fun, but more business-like as I focused on grabbing the suits from the fallen 'Clavers but stuff like Liberty Prime was why I couldn't stop playing FO3 for two frigging years.
Carys

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm

The Liberty Prime ending in FO3 was one of the best ending I ever saw in a game. A giant trash talking , nuke throwing, laser eye robot, you dont expect to see somthing like that in action, but they pulled it off with flyin colors. Also from what im reading the multi choice factions in NV are just the same quest, like the same book under a different title.

1st playthrough- EPIC ENDING

2nd Playthrough and on- This.....feels like a Micheal Bay movie, all effect and no depth.
marie breen

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 pm

I haven't tried just wondered about it, what happens if a merchant dies Like Trudy in Good Springs would Sunny or someone from the town take over, The first fight against the powder gangers what if she got hit & dies. Are merchants like her replaced if they die does the game adjust
jessica breen

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 am

I haven't tried just wondered about it, what happens if a merchant dies Like Trudy in Good Springs would Sunny or someone from the town take over, The first fight against the powder gangers what if she got hit & dies. Are merchants like her replaced if they die does the game adjust

Nope, sadly not.

Pros:

- The ambient music in this game is wonderful, just wonderful.
- The writing is generally of a very high standard; instances of cretinous videogame dialogue are few and far between, and there is solid and often entertaining characterization throughout. Some of the companions in particular are very well drawn.
- Some of the voice acting is excellent - Chief Hanlon, Veronica, Cass...
- Iron sights greatly improve real-time combat, and fixed, high-level enemies make for a more dangerous world again. Deathclaws, Cazadors...
- At its best, for example in places like Freeside and Camp McCarren, it offers a really pleasing series of intertwining and interlinked quests that are very absorbing. On a wider scale, the potentials of political intrigue offered by the Mojave.
- I still get to run around wearing a silly hat for hours on end.

Cons:
- Bugs.
- The physical aspect of the city of Las Vegas, which for me is nowhere near as artistically, architectuarally, geometrically impressive as DC was. The Strip itself rapidly becomes a loading-screen-filled chore, and the wider areas are pretty nondescript.
- Exploration for its' own sake isn't very well rewarded in the Mojave; optional, non-quest related locations are invariably insubstantial and bland. Little in the way of "dungeons" beyond the vaults.
- Not much as environmental storytelling of the kind FO3 did so well. Also, fewer audiotapes, computer logs, coverheard onversations... overall I think it's much less atmospheric as a whole.
- The pacing of the main quest, and the feeling that the endgame plays out mostly the same whichever faction you side with, which makes the exercise feel a little bit pointless.
- Bugs.
- Somewhat clumsy and fiddly implementation of new game mechanics like crafting and hardcoe mode.
- Invisible walls and terrain that's a chore to traverse makes me feel I'm being railroaded round the map.
- Lack of random encounters and the general sedateness of travelling the roads.
- Too many quests that don't really seem to go anywhere or that feel unfinished or are just pure fetch quests or variations on "go speak to that guy"x3, or make me feel I have to reach for a guide just to ensure they don't break.
- Bugs.
- The game's general lack of polish and my lingering wish that, rather than the 18-odd months they had, the devs had had the three years plus that could've really done the (nonetheless very good) game real justice.
Katey Meyer

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:12 pm

5. losing interest in Fallout New Vegas causing me not to want the add-ons

This one!
Mainly because the game ends... and with lame canned explanations to boot, so you have to go back to earlier saves or start a new character to do em.
James Baldwin

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:18 am

I myself only started playing a few days ago and while I have every intention on playing it through and beating it eventually I have decided not to continue right now. Game seems awfully buggy at times and while I understand the story it just doesn't feel epic at all. I mean in 3 there was this sense of urgency and grand impact kinda thing but not so much here. Maybe I am wrong and it just takes a while to see it but its going to have to wait as I would rather play Fable 3 or Mass Effect 2 right now. Hopefully when the dlc comes out and some bugs get patched I will give it another try but as far as I can tell Fallout 3 just seemed better (though again this is my first impression and I will wait to decide for myself until after I have had the time to play it all the way through and beat it)
Blessed DIVA

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:36 am

Why? For realism or to make it where nobody would use the element anyways and it would have just been another wasted part of gameplay?

Anyways, I agree with the OP that the game is getting pretty boring. It doesn't draw me in as much as Fallout 3 did.

I was going to write a standalone post detailing my disappointment in New Vegas, and I still might. For now though let me just add a big fat THIS. For months after "beating" FO3 I still enjoyed diving back into the game to wander around and continue collecting scrap metal for Walter in Megaton and so on. With NV, and yes the bugs played a large part in this, when I got to the ending it was as much a relief as anything else knowing I was done and couldn't go back. I limped across the finish line with Boone and Ed-E both still tied to my companion slots but nowhere to be found (not even in Vault 22). I had to restart my PS3 at least a half dozen times completing the last two parts of the Wild Card storyline. Games are supposed to be fun and New Vegas, with few exceptions, simply is not at this time. I am a huge fan of the Fallout series and universe but New Vegas was just a chore.
naome duncan

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:34 am

My very first playthrough...where I had no idea what was coming..."Take it Back" was magical. Finding out LP was operational, then running through the Citadel Courtyard, while Gunny and the others were cheering as they hoisted LP over the wall to march on the Enclave...then following him with my companions and the Pride as he gave the 'Clavers what they so richly deserved while cheerfully spouting his anti-communist slogans was one of the most memorable levels I have ever played in a game. The subsequent playthroughs were fun, but more business-like as I focused on grabbing the suits from the fallen 'Clavers but stuff like Liberty Prime was why I couldn't stop playing FO3 for two frigging years.

Yes, seriously, one of the most memorable moments of any game for me. That whole thing was so well done and so ... epic. I didn't feel like the center of the world at that particular sequence, but rather was a part of a greater battle which is precisely what gave it that epic feeling. And, as Buckwheat said, a giant trash talking , nuke throwing, laser eye robot ... what's not to love.

"Obstruction detected. Composition: Titanium alloy supplemented by photonic resonance barrier. Probability of mission hinderance - 0%"

There was a pretty great moment in my FONV ending that I really liked too. It didn't quite match up to the above, but I don't hold it against FONV, I still really enjoyed my first ending.
Averielle Garcia

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 pm

I was going to write a standalone post detailing my disappointment in New Vegas, and I still might. For now though let me just add a big fat THIS. For months after "beating" FO3 I still enjoyed diving back into the game to wander around and continue collecting scrap metal for Walter in Megaton and so on. With NV, and yes the bugs played a large part in this, when I got to the ending it was as much a relief as anything else knowing I was done and couldn't go back. I limped across the finish line with Boone and Ed-E both still tied to my companion slots but nowhere to be found (not even in Vault 22). I had to restart my PS3 at least a half dozen times completing the last two parts of the Wild Card storyline. Games are supposed to be fun and New Vegas, with few exceptions, simply is not at this time. I am a huge fan of the Fallout series and universe but New Vegas was just a chore.

Funny you should mention NV bugs in the same post as Fallout 3's Walter in Megaton. So you never saw him face down, dead in the ground, because his pathing caused him to jump to his death off the walkway?
SexyPimpAss

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm

Funny you should mention NV bugs in the same post as Fallout 3's Walter in Megaton. So you never saw him face down, dead in the ground, because his pathing caused him to jump to his death off the walkway?

No! haha. I played FO3 first on PC and then on the infamous PS3 GOTY ediiton, and Walter never troubled me. So while I certainly encountered my share of other bugs and crashes playing FO3 I still enjoyed re-entering the world. No so with NV.
Charles Weber

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Nah, that was the liquor.
Richus Dude

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:07 am

I loved my first playthrough of New Vegas with my good character and my House ending.

My latest playthrough has become a depressing crawl, I'm evil an assisting Caesar. Lots of quests have become glitched, I got locked out of New Vegas, companions lots forever through mysterious disappearances or falling through the ground and dying.

I'm no longer sure that FNV is better than Fallout 3. Yes Fallout 3 has many issues but in terms of fun I think at the moment it is better than New Vegas. Just too frustrating with quest scripts, companions bugging etc, hopefully this will be patched but as it stands I'm giving FNV a rest for a while.
cutiecute

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Actually my reasoning is just that sometimes I can be a total [censored] and I think that plastic surgery is a minor issue in this game. I used the plastic surgery option once in Fallout 3.

Well, i totally ignored it for the sake of role playing.
+++CAZZY

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 am

I've consistently been on the pro New Vegas "side". However I must admit I have shelved it still on my first playthrough (maybe 70% through?) for no apparent reason. I love the game, am not having a terrible amount of glitches but for some reason have moved on to a used copy of Oblivion I just picked up.

Yes the voice acting and dialogue is fairly lame in Oblivion (not close to FONV in those areas) but for some reason, I can't stop playing the damn thing. :laugh:
Avril Churchill

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Well another Pro for me as i said this before but after lastnight it's a large plus for me.
Pro
The ballistic fist, I killed Caesar & every legion member in the camp & used the anti-material rifle to take out the 1s faraway
Con
Think i found something i really wanted in this game but I couldn't even select it maybe because of a glitch i don't know
4th time my game went back to the XMB. The companions needs work, not just in Fallout New Vegas but in Fallout3, I'm sneaking up on something for an instant killed & my companion sees the target will run towards it blowing my sneak attack.
While sneaking with companions if you tell them to wait here they instantly go out of sneak mode even if your in it & they'll stand there exposed
Angus Poole

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:49 am

I think it's more bugs then Fallout3 that's my biggest Con. i'm still on my first play through, i managed to get a decent character out of that bad character creation setup & Now it's starting to grow on me the biggest issue is just there's more bugs then Fallout3
Klaire

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Well today i finished FalloutNewVegas for my first time, i didn't want to mainly because i love open world free roaming games like this, So i put off doing alot of quests for awhile. I finished thinking that
1. PS3 would be getting the DLC as well as 360
2. The DLC would be like Fallout3 with continued play after the main story was finished
Sadly the PS3 didn't get the DLC & i'm not buying the 360 version. FalloutNewVegas started off as a bad game for me alot due to the bugs & glitches but after the patches it ran so much smoother & it grew on me, it was a great game however if Bethesda wants to withhold each DLC for FalloutNewVegas from PS3 then i'll just wait till the GOTY version of the game, In fact i'll just wait for the GOTY version of any Bethesda games
Lilit Ager

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:51 am

You haven't hear of "saving in another slot" so you know you can finish the game, then reload it before you win so you can do random crap/dlc's with the same guy?
From the way your talking it's like the only save you get is the auto save or something so you can't possible ever go back once you beat the game with that character....
Katie Samuel

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 am

Yea i've saved in different slots, Have four saves actually. I'll probably go back & screw around with it more it just svcks i that finished it. I wanted 2 see the aftermath of the final battle, To see what's left of NCR & Legion to see the other tribes & how they'll dealing with the aftermath. That's what i wanted to see not just an ending & since i can't FalloutNewVegas has lost alot of it's flavor for me, going to an older save is cool but it's Been There Done That. I may just start a new game & be completely evil & just never finish it who knows but as for now it just has no interest 4 me anymore unless the DLC comes out soon for the PS3 which i doubt
Harry Hearing

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:20 am

No plastic surgery? Type "showracemenu" in console.
Dawn Farrell

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Really & doesn't that command have a history of problems when using it? & doesn't that only work on PC, Why would I or anyone else want to more problems with FalloutNewVegas on PC or game console
Ezekiel Macallister

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas