Fallout New Vegas Pros & Cons with Frustration

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm finding myself wanting to go back to Fallout3
Cons
1. Sorting through different ammo, what works best on whatever
2. The annoying creatures that keep you from going 2 far when you first start the game
3. Melee attacks that goes through your armor
4. NO PLASTIC SURGEN AFTER THE STARTUP i'd like to change things about my character whenever
5. The DeathClaw alpha male & female surrounded by full size DeathClaws & ur companions runs out in the middle of them
6. The knowledge gain from books sometimes wasn't permanent due 2 a glitch
7. The implants from the clinic are over priced & only increase a stat by 1 point which in alot of cases don't help
8. the annoying blur effect when things wear off
9. glitch, nobody noticed the different armors i had on
10.The Vegas strip looked better television
Pros
1. Taking place in the same time line as Fallout3 & Not giving away anything on Fallout3
2. Your reputation plays a larger roll
3. New creatures that wasn't in Fallout3
4. DeathWind Cave
Kirsty Wood

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 am

I haven't even went through the entire game & i'm finding myself wanting to go back to Fallout3
Cons
1. Dealing with the different ammo types
2. The annoying creatures that keep you from going 2 far when you first start the game
4. NO PLASTIC SURGEN AFTER THE STARTUP (haven't found 1 yet)

How is number 1 a con? More choices should be a good thing.
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 am

I haven't even went through the entire game & i'm finding myself wanting to go back to Fallout3

I have to agree with you on that one. I'm nearly finished and I don't really care plus my save corrupted.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't see how 2 or 3 are con's either....So you have to be the most powerful creature in the world when you start out? Also you do know that a knife and stab through a bullet proof vest right?
Genevieve

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 am

Stick to the road, follow the southern path, and you can make it all the way to Vegas at level 1 without too much hassle. Exploring early on isn't really a problem. Just don't expect to "explore" the deathclaw lair at the start. Fallout 3 wouldn't let you do that either.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:16 pm

1- companions that run after moster that arent at near you
that all what i need to complain the companions wheel dont work at all you tell they to star near you and some times they just run away hunting somehting far from you
Angela

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm nearly finished and I don't really care...

This is pretty common in games that don't present you with a clear "good" and "bad" path. Some people have a hard time role-playing through when they're not given clear direction. Nothing wrong with that. I find the ability to role-play my character the way I want to and the lack of being morally railroaded refreshing, but I understand that not everybody does.

Anyway, they're very different games developed with different priorities in mind. I think everybody would enjoy NV more if they accepted that it's not FO3 and that they shouldn't expect it to be FO3. I personally prefer NV because its strengths appeal to what I look for in an RPG more than FO3's do, but that's me.
leni

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 am

LOL I just started the thread, i stopped because i had 2 do something i placed it because i didn't want it disappearing on me......i'll finish editing
ezra

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 am

This is pretty common in games that don't present you with a clear "good" and "bad" path. Some people have a hard time role-playing through when they're not given clear direction. Nothing wrong with that. I find the ability to role-play my character the way I want to and the lack of being morally railroaded refreshing, but I understand that not everybody does.

You're probably right, I couldn't choose the outcome I wanted, it wasn't there for me, I wanted to Ally House, BoS, Boomers, Enclave and NCR and kill the rest :) but there was no provision for it in the game. My choices that I wanted to make weren't there. I like shooters and usually the enemy is clear cut, but still I couldn't execute the ending I wanted :(
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:29 am

Cons

Pros

1. Having different ammo types
2. Having to figure out a way around dangerous creatures when you first start the game
3. Melee attacks that go through your armor
4. No Plastic surgeon after startup (you gotta make it count!)
:hehe:
JESSE

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 am

Cons

I agree #1 can be rather daunting, you should look up a quick guide, you will get the usefulness out of it. I played my first time on Normal using plain Ammo successfully because I didn't understand the whole ammo aspect.
#2 is a constraint that unfortunately became a nuisance - they couldn't really back up a massive mountain ridgeline W-E to stop you going North of Goodsprings. However I have got to The Strip at level 1, you just have to keep to the East Cliffs of Sloan all the way to around REPCONN HQ where the deathclaws disappear.
#3 I cannot reply to because I rarely meet them head-on.
#4 Before leaving Goodsprings you can alter your look once more, however I don't think there is any other option(confirmation please) after so I suppose that is a bit of a con, in your context.

Reno
mimi_lys

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm

You're probably right, I couldn't choose the outcome I wanted, it wasn't there for me, I wanted to Ally House, BoS, Boomers, Enclave and NCR and kill the rest :) but there was no provision for it in the game. My choices that I wanted to make weren't there. I like shooters and usually the enemy is clear cut, but still I couldn't execute the ending I wanted :(

If they gave you total freedom as to which faction you could make allies, they would have to make a very large amount of ending slides to correspond with it. It has quite a bit of freedom in that regard as it is already.
Naomi Ward

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm

If they gave you total freedom as to which faction you could make allies, they would have to make a very large amount of ending slides to correspond with it. It has quite a bit of freedom in that regard as it is already.

I know what you're saying but ending slides aren't really something I care about, when I finished FO3 the game was that good the slides were of little consequence to me, the game was just epic and brilliant and the ending could never have matched it or summed up what a good game it was :) For me anyway.
Emma Louise Adams

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Only real comment is:

2) You can go North, South or find the path through the mountains, I've used all three. Some tense moments but no reloading, no deaths, no stealth boys. Quite rewarding
Tarka

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 pm

I know what you're saying but ending slides aren't really something I care about, when I finished FO3 the game was that good the slides were of little consequence to me, the game was just epic and brilliant and the ending could never have matched it or summed up what a good game it was :) For me anyway.

My main problems with FO3's ending:

1. I was annoyed that I was railroaded down one path. <_<

2. I thought Liberty Prime was a bit of an over-done deus ex machina. Bethesda seems to be obsessed with giant robots, though...they even had one in Daggerfall. :P

3. It all came down to Liberty Prime. Aside from getting the GECK and doing whatever it was I did in Raven Rock (must not have been very memorable) I had no real hand in defeating the Enclave. If I had been involved in getting LP up and running I wouldn't have minded as much, but I wasn't. Everything I did in the game felt sort of invalidated when the BoS was like, "Oh, by the way we got our giant robot working, so thanks for...erm...what did you do again? Meh, anyway, have fun watching our robot that you had nothing to do with storm the castle stomp the Enclave. Thanks again for whatever it was that you did, though. We probably appreciate it in some way I can't recall right now. Enjoy the show!"

Really disappointed me/pissed me off. :D
Karl harris

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:29 am

Its not like people can just magically change your face after a nucelar apocolypse.
claire ley

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 pm

They did in Fallout3, you had that plastic surgen option. Bad lighting from the start & a very frustrating slider on the features but the plastic surgen greatly made up for it in Fallout3
Laura Samson

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:37 am

I think if Obsidian implements a plastic surgery element to the game then you should run the risk of your character dying from infection. Say an 80% chance of death.
Christina Trayler

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I think pretty much everything you stated as a con is a pro for a lot of people here. Also, Skill Books give permanent skill increases, they are just rare. Magazines give temporary and larger skill increases.
Umpyre Records

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 am

Bethesda seems to be obsessed with giant robots, though...they even had one in Daggerfall. :P

Oh those wacky Dwemer and their steam automatons :D

But yes, the Liberty Prime Victory March was quite lackluster for a final mission. Despite Broken Steel being utterly broken, the Addams Air Force Base was a much better final fight. On that note the NV final fight could've been a lot more intensive, lenghty, and challenging too. I miss the "Dark Omen" type final dungeons :( (Massive final dungeon in the old Chrono Trigger jRPG)
Skivs

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 am

Never stated they were cons for everybody, they're my reasons for not finding Fallout New Veags as enjoyable as Fallout3. I'm interested in reading everybody's Pros & Cons & general frustrations with the game no matter how different they are from mine
suzan

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 am

Knowledge from books is permanent as far as I am aware.

**Though they did do this weird thing with the Potions... Making them Magazines that "refresh your memory" ~Not sure how they put it... These bonuses fade with time.

Never stated they were cons for everybody, they're my reasons for not finding Fallout New Veags as enjoyable as Fallout3. I'm interested in reading everybody's Pros & Cons & general frustrations with the game no matter how different they are from mine
My pros and cons are incomplete... I've not played that far yet.

Pros
  • HC mode has aspects that should have been in Fallout 3 IMO, shame they are still optional in NV
  • I liked being able to break down ammo and reload for guns that I had, but had no ammo for.
  • DT in theory
  • Pacing (closer to the series prior to FO3)

Cons
  • DT in practice
  • Designed as a first person game ~with crude TPP support (instead of the other way around).
  • I don't know the right word offhand, but I did not like that I could walk through a deserted area, then take a quest to irradicate pests, then return to that exact same area and have it full of enemies that were not there 10 minutes before, but they were holding up the caravans at the NCR outpost... This game does not always support an "already did that" option in dialogs.
  • Fake geometry... like the fake holes in the ant hives. Drop a mine down it and it floats in the air... fire the incinerator down it, and its as though you shot the ground under foot and sets you ablaze. Also some outfits have drawn on components that should have been raised parts of the models and not just a texture.
    No TB option for hardcoe mode. :sadvaultboy:

phillip crookes

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 am

Magazines provide a temporary boost to skills, such as being a few points shy on a speech check or computer hack. They have no weight so carry them for those oh snap situations. Skill books(permanent type)are too rare in FONV for my taste, but I grabbed a mod that juiced up the number a little bit.
Amanda Furtado

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Nice but i never mod any games i don't know to me it's like if i need codes or mods that give some kinda advantage to play then it doesn't really say much about my skills as a gamer. I figure if any advantages were to be had then the developers will release it in downloads
tiffany Royal

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Also when it comes to melee attacks and armor, have you ever heard of blunt force trauma. Unless you have a crap load of armor on being hit with a bat may not hurt allot, but it most likely will bruise you.

Even the knights in metal armor came away with massive bruises and broken bones while in that armor. the armor of the waste most likely isn't all that great to begin with.
Kat Stewart

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas