[RELz] Fallout Script Extender (FOSE) v1

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm not sure why, but suddenly I can't start Fallout with FOSE anymore. I'm crashing at the first intro screen that says "Please stand by".
I'm using version 1.0.0.15 and I have the necessary fose_1_0.dll installed as well. I'm not using any DLC and I have my Windows Live disabled with Quarn's tool. I haven't changed anything about my setup today, but it has just stopped working. I've tried to reinstall FOSE and the game itself, but to no effect.

My fose_loader.log says:

Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this or any suggestions what I should do?

[edit]
I forgot to mention it, I can start the game with the Fallout.exe just fine.

[edit 2]
I just patched the game to 1.4 to see if that would solve my issues, but it didn't. Still crashing at the exact same time.

Has anything else changed on your system? Have you installed any virus protection programs for example? It is possible that something is interfering with our hooking process, I suppose. I dunno what the problem could be.
aisha jamil

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:46 am

Has anything else changed on your system? Have you installed any virus protection programs for example? It is possible that something is interfering with our hooking process, I suppose. I dunno what the problem could be.

Pfffft, does this look like Las Vegas? :)

Is there a way to run both FOSE and Maximzed window? http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=45 They both run as a launcher of sorts... I wanted to try windowed mode to see if it'd lessen crashing.
Sabrina Steige

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 am

I did run an antivirus check and removed some files. But nothing related to FOSE was removed. I also did a complete re-install of Fallout and FOSE, so shouldn't that restore the stuff that's needed for the hooking process, if indeed something was deleted by accident?
Smokey

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:50 am

Having the same problem as Miriamel, I can run the game just fine, but it will crash when trying to load it with FOSE. Although if I use the 1.4 fallout 3 exe instead of 1.0.0.15, it will load properly. I have the FOSE 1.0.dll inside the correct directory and am using beta 2. Perhaps it is not recognizing the old exe properly?

Edit:
Just checked the log, it is loading the correct dll, but still crashes once the slideshow starts.
tegan fiamengo

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 am

Ok, this is really weird. I just checked the version number on the Fallout.exe that I had patched to 1.4.0.6 - but it still said 1.0.0.15. I had to run the patch two more times (I'm using the English version of the game in Germany, so need to use the UK patch), until my game was finally updated to 1.4. Now with 1.4 FOSE runs, but as soon as I switch back to 1.0.0.15 I crash again.

I'm sorry for giving false information earlier, it hadn't occurred to me that there could have been an error with patching, as it gave me no warnings during the process.

I'd still like to return to 1.0.0.15 ( just love my V.A.T.S.), but I'm so relieved that I got it to work again at all - I can't imagine playing without my FOSE-mods anymore. :)
Trish

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:04 am

Is there a way to run both FOSE and Maximzed window? http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=45 They both run as a launcher of sorts... I wanted to try windowed mode to see if it'd lessen crashing.

Maximized window doesn't actually launch anything, it just waits the specified time, then looks for the Fallout window and resizes it. Make a shortcut like it says in the MaximizedWindow docs, run that shortcut, then run fose_loader. Should run exactly like it was run from the normal launcher.
Liii BLATES

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:03 pm

First of all thanks for your work.

I need to ask you something: when will you make it compatible with the new (1.4) italian patch? Unfortunately now FOSE doesn't work with it....
Bek Rideout

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Nevermind site is working again.
Jon O

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:14 am

Sorry to bump this, but anyone have any idea on how to allow FOSE to boot properly with the old exe? I have the proper files and paths and in the log is says it is using the correct dll, but will crash as soon as the first slide loads. (Remains open for a split second) I can load the exe properly without FOSE and FOSE still works with the new exe. :/
Christine

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:44 am

Sorry to bump this, but anyone have any idea on how to allow FOSE to boot properly with the old exe? I have the proper files and paths and in the log is says it is using the correct dll, but will crash as soon as the first slide loads. (Remains open for a split second) I can load the exe properly without FOSE and FOSE still works with the new exe. :/

First, make sure that you're using the DLL for version 1.0.0.15 in the first post, not the one from earlier beta versions. Next, disable all mods and see if you can launch without crashing. Next, check fose.log and make sure that nothing suspicious shows up there. This one is unlikely since things are working properly with the newest version, but temporarily disable any software firewalls, virus scanners, or spyware scanners and try running again. (turn them back on when done; back in the Oblivion days we would occasionally have compatibility problems since we modify the game in-memory, which some programs would classify as suspicious behavior) If none of these work, then please create a minidump (no heap) of the crash, put the minidump file in a 7z, rar or zip archive and send it to the contact address listed in the readme file.

I need to ask you something: when will you make it compatible with the new (1.4) italian patch? Unfortunately now FOSE doesn't work with it....

First off, I'm assuming that you're getting an error stating that your game has a CRC of 56492499. If not, then please let me know what the loader is reporting. If so, then we haven't decided if it's worth the engineering effort to add support for that version. It's shared by Austria, Germany, and the users on Steam, so that represents a pretty large part of the install base. However, since Bethesda needs to release a new patch to add achievements to the next DLC, it is likely that in the next few weeks we will be seeing yet another patch, and that hopefully this time they won't make whatever mistake that caused them to release two different patches with the same version number to their audience. Because of all of that, support for a version that may only be valid for two weeks is a questionable time investment; we haven't decided whether or not to support it yet.
Alba Casas

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 am

For Fallout I have to 'run as administrator' to prevent Vista from locking it up. I can do that with FOSE just fine, but becuase FOSE runs the Fallout.exe as normal I've been getting freezing during the game. Is there any way around this? Oh, and I have Fallout 1.4 and the FOSE Beta 2. FOSE 1.0 would not recognise the Fallout.exe at 1.4.
Eric Hayes

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 am

For Fallout I have to 'run as administrator' to prevent Vista from locking it up. I can do that with FOSE just fine, but becuase FOSE runs the Fallout.exe as normal I've been getting freezing during the game. Is there any way around this? Oh, and I have Fallout 1.4 and the FOSE Beta 2. FOSE 1.0 would not recognise the Fallout.exe at 1.4.

I'm not sure how to create an elevated process, nor do I have a Vista machine to test on, but I can give it a shot.
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:39 am

I'm not sure how to create an elevated process, nor do I have a Vista machine to test on, but I can give it a shot.

Thanks. I appreciate it. :)

Also, just as an FYI: The Oblivion/Fallout engine does not like RAID array's. I found out this little problem a long time ago. The RAID array was responsible for my CTD's. RAID 0/1/5/etc. Because the engine loads data on-the-fly it seems to cause problems (with regards to timing) with the RAID controller.

Just a bit of useless/useful information I found out about, about a year ago. :)
Ian White

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm

If your process is running elevated and starts another process, that other process be elevated as well. You shouldn't need to do anything. All that's required is that the fose loader is started elevated and it will launch fo3 elevated.
dell

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am

I've added preliminary support for the alternate 1.4.0.6 patch (CRC 56492499), so here's http://fose.silverlock.org/beta/fose_v1_1_beta4.zip. It has not been extensively tested, so please leave feedback if you encounter problems that don't occur with the previous version.

Please note that the next major revision will drop support for 1.1.0.35 as AFAIK there are no advantages of using it over either of the 1.4.0.6 versions.

(cue Bethesda releasing a new patch just adding new achievements tomorrow)
Max Van Morrison

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 am

I've added preliminary support for the alternate 1.4.0.6 patch (CRC 56492499), so here's http://fose.silverlock.org/beta/fose_v1_1_beta4.zip. It has not been extensively tested, so please leave feedback if you encounter problems that don't occur with the previous version.

Please note that the next major revision will drop support for 1.1.0.35 as AFAIK there are no advantages of using it over either of the 1.4.0.6 versions.

(cue Bethesda releasing a new patch just adding new achievements tomorrow)

So this one will work also for the italian version? (or at least it "should" work)?
dean Cutler

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 am

So this one will work also for the italian version? (or at least it "should" work)?

It should. If it doesn't, let me know.
K J S

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks. I'll have time to test this one out on the weekend.
Prohibited

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 am

Anyoner know if its possible to have fose_loader load up but wait for fallout3 to be launched before hooking into it?

Like morrowind enhanced did it sorta.

Or alternately something like how MW graphics extender did it, where it launches the dll with the graphics dll.
April

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:01 am

Anyoner know if its possible to have fose_loader load up but wait for fallout3 to be launched before hooking into it?

Like morrowind enhanced did it sorta.

Or alternately something like how MW graphics extender did it, where it launches the dll with the graphics dll.

We need to be attached during the game's startup process, so no. What are you trying to do? (yes, technically we could set ourselves as a global debugger for anything called 'fallout3.exe', but that's lame and really accomplishes the same thing)
lucy chadwick

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 am

Hi everybody!

I'm currently trying to do a script for a fallout 3 mod.. The only thing it should do is to take the players x,y & z position and write it either to a socket or to a .txt file.. This text/socket will then be loaded into another program (Max/MSP).. However.. I can't really figure out how to write the position to either the .txt file or to socket (preferably to socket)..
Do any of you have any experience or knowlegde of how to do this?...
All I know now is that it should be possible to use som API, that should enable me to write a DLL using c++ which can then be loaded by FOSE and used in GECK... however I do not know the details of what this API is or how it works... so I was hoping somebody in here knows something.
If it is possible to make this DLL with c or c++, then it should be fairly easy to write directly to a socket using the socket.h library and then getting Max/MSP to read that socket and that should be it... However again the problem is to utilize FOSE and GECK so that I can make this DLL file correctly...
Also as I understand it, it should be possible to create a quest script that should then feed the DLL with the coordinates that I need...

So the final question is:
Is it possible to do this DLL (preferbly utilizing c or c++) and make a script which colaborates with it...?
by the way it is important that these coordinates are sent out in a stream, while playing so that I can use them in Max/MSP to know where on my level the player is positioned at all time...

Can anybody help me with this problem?..
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Is it possible to do this DLL (preferbly utilizing c or c++) and make a script which colaborates with it...?

We'll be enabling the plugin manager in the next major release, which will let people create their own DLLs adding commands to the game. It'll be almost exactly the same as the system used in OBSE.
sam smith

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

We'll be enabling the plugin manager in the next major release, which will let people create their own DLLs adding commands to the game. It'll be almost exactly the same as the system used in OBSE.

So you are saying that this isn't possible yet?
John N

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 pm

It is, but it is not the way they meant it to be. As you have the source code you can look at how they added their function and do the same to add yours.
I've been doing it to support my own work (mostly because of time pressure, I couldn't wait for the next release).

Edit: If you really can't wait, contact me, I've implemented the possibility to log to a file already and can send you the whole source code.
Kay O'Hara

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Edit: If you really can't wait, contact me, I've implemented the possibility to log to a file already and can send you the whole source code.

If you do build modified versions, please don't release them to the public. Confusion over opcode assignments will create major compatibility problems for us.
Dominic Vaughan

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3