[RELz] Fallout Script Extender (FOSE) v1

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:04 am

The xml code for that little piece of info is up to 371 lines right now. I'll probably be able to reduce that by 3/4 with FOSE v2. :)

Speaking of learning, I got my bearings by looking at the http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1675 mod. Really helpful comments in there too.
Emily Martell

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Hmm, I'd like to request a little command for sometime in the future, the command in question is "IsPlayable", simply returns if an armor/weapon is flagged as playable.

I was working on some code that disarms foes and adds the weapon to you (or drops it to the ground, depending on conditions). And i do not want it dropping/adding behemoth hydrants or centaur's spit thingy or ant's firebreathing. Not so bright case scenario i could get a player stuck with a weighted non-playable weapon, or stealing an invisible token, worst case would be ctd on drop.

It'd also be extremely sweet to have inventory-walking functions.
Adrian Powers

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

^ looking at the wrong person i think...
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 am

Hi. I just popped in to get another update on ListRemoveForm. If you recall, way back when, I reported a problem with it (I try to use it in my Workbench mod -- the beta version). My question is, what is the status of it. Even though I kind of took a big break from FO3 (both modding and playing), I do want to finish what I started, and I'm kind of on hold until this is resolved.
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 am

Is there any FOSE for freshly installed FO3(w/o any updates)?I just need it for CASM and sprint mod.I ask this cause as soon as i patch my game(even to 015) i get tons of crashes.So far only fresh FO3 worked good.
Bones47

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:19 am

With respect to performance, which of these two is preferable:
if (stuff != otherstuff)	Set stuff To otherstuff	...endif

if (stuff == otherstuff)	returnelse	Set stuff To otherstuff	...endif

Is there a noticeable difference?
Heather beauchamp

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 am

I doubt they differ more than a cycle here and there, so just go with the one that's shorter to type. The second one has the disadvantage of not allowing code to follow it though.

These two posts have wasted as much time as the difference ever would. :P
kat no x

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Tack. :)

I've been using the former so far, but a few scripts I've come across use the latter, so I thought I'd ask.
Luna Lovegood

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:06 am

Performance-wise, they are exactly the same.

Not to mention the compiler may rework thinks if you enable optimization, rendering the whole deal moot.
Roberto Gaeta

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 am

Guys, i don't know if this has been brought up, but, getweaponammo crashes and burns all on itself if the weapon doesn't use ammo. (simply using getweaponammo WeapKnife and then return caused ctd).

Asking for the weapontype first is a workaround, tho not a good one (any mod adding a melee weapon with ammo would be considered by the script to use no ammo. Any gun that uses no ammo (a certain one that overheats instead of using ammo comes to my mind) would also cause CTDs.

It would be very nice to have a fix of this, or at least a "weaponusesammo" command to do a security check.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm

With respect to performance, which of these two is preferable:
if (stuff != otherstuff)	Set stuff To otherstuff	...endif

if (stuff == otherstuff)	returnelse	Set stuff To otherstuff	...endif

Is there a noticeable difference?

The first one will continue to execute code after it if Stuff == Otherstuff. The bottom one will not because of the "Return" command.
louise fortin

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 am

i must put in a request here for the createfullactorcopy that exsisted in oblivion but does not in fallout 3.

:)
LuBiE LoU

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 am

Performance-wise, they are exactly the same.

Not to mention the compiler may rework thinks if you enable optimization, rendering the whole deal moot.

A standard (C/C++) compiler would do that - but the BethScript compiler in the GECK will not. It doesn't do that sort of optimizations (or any perhaps.)

Guys, i don't know if this has been brought up, but, getweaponammo crashes and burns all on itself if the weapon doesn't use ammo. (simply using getweaponammo WeapKnife and then return caused ctd).

Asking for the weapontype first is a workaround, tho not a good one (any mod adding a melee weapon with ammo would be considered by the script to use no ammo. Any gun that uses no ammo (a certain one that overheats instead of using ammo comes to my mind) would also cause CTDs.

It would be very nice to have a fix of this, or at least a "weaponusesammo" command to do a security check.

I will take a look at this over the weekend and see what I can do. It is probably a very simple error. I'll bet that I dereference the TESAmmo pointer on the TESObjectWEAP class to get the ref id, but fail to check to see if it is null first. Should be easy to fix (assuming that is the case.)

i must put in a request here for the createfullactorcopy that exsisted in oblivion but does not in fallout 3.

:)

Doing this is likely to be quite difficult. I don't envision us doing this anytime soon. The other guys may have an opinion here - but I don't see it happening.
cheryl wright

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 am

A standard (C/C++) compiler would do that - but the BethScript compiler in the GECK will not. It doesn't do that sort of optimizations (or any perhaps.)

Oh, thought you where talking about code for fose, not beth's script.
Neeways, even without optimization, in any half-decently created compiler, "if () else (code) endif" means 1 conditional check, and "if () code endif" also executes only 1 conditional check. Performance-wise, unless the Chtulhu tentacle inside the bethscript compiler says otherwise, they should behave exactly the same.
Izzy Coleman

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 am

Doing this is likely to be quite difficult. I don't envision us doing this anytime soon. The other guys may have an opinion here - but I don't see it happening.

doesnt matter, after a long conversation today, we found a way to almost do it anyway with current fallout commands. placeatme 7 1 spawns an NPC copy of the player, using duplicateallitems can give them the inventory. Easy :) So dont worry about it now.

But i was wondering if it would ever be possible to store the face values, i know there are like a hundred of them, but would it ever be possible? properly not but i thought i might just ask.
My blood

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi there.

I was wondering if the FOSE team have any plans to re-visit the con_SetVel call. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at creating a ground vehicle, using a scripted solution rather than a creature-based solution.

I can get terrain-tracking movement using con_SetVel, but only along one axis. If I give the command every frame, using a different axis (x or y) in each frame, then I can get diagonal movement, but the vehicle vibrates horribly. A SetVelocity command that can take a vector, or that takes a single axis but has an option to add it's effect to the last call, would be a tremendous boon.

I suspect from earlier posts on this topic that it might be impractical or impossible to do, but it would be good to know if I should look for some other solution straight away. Thanks :).

[edit]
Actually, I shouldn't let myself get carried away. I should have said "A SetVelocity command that can take a vector, or that takes a single axis but has an option to add it's effect to the last call, could be a tremendous boon." Mustn't count my chickens... :).
jesse villaneda

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Xlive\DLC for XP
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC for Vista

Okay, I found the folder, but it's named "425307d6". What exactly do I extract from this folder, and where?
Kristina Campbell

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 am

-Double Post-
Sammygirl

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 am

anything .bsa or .esm. should be 3 files per dlc i believe.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 am

Ok, this is really weird. I just checked the version number on the Fallout.exe that I had patched to 1.4.0.6 - but it still said 1.0.0.15. I had to run the patch two more times (I'm using the English version of the game in Germany, so need to use the UK patch), until my game was finally updated to 1.4. Now with 1.4 FOSE runs, but as soon as I switch back to 1.0.0.15 I crash again.

I'm sorry for giving false information earlier, it hadn't occurred to me that there could have been an error with patching, as it gave me no warnings during the process.

I'd still like to return to 1.0.0.15 ( just love my V.A.T.S.), but I'm so relieved that I got it to work again at all - I can't imagine playing without my FOSE-mods anymore. :)

Ok, I think I found the solution to my crashing issues with the 1.0.0.15 exe and FOSE. It seems to be tied to Quarn's "Games for Windows LIVE Disabler". When I had my GfWL disabled with it, the 1.4 exe would load with FOSE, but the 1.0.0.15 exe wouldn't. After re-enabling GfWL the 1.0.0.15 exe loads too. :)
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

I'd like to put in a request for a GetActiveMenuSelection function as in OBSE. As the OBSE command doc states, it "returns the item in the active menu over which the mouse is currently positioned" - I'm assuming that it more generally includes the highlighted item as well.

A separate question: When I'm updating an item to be displayed in the UI, it seems to be very slow, taking 3-4 seconds to update. For instance in script in a MenuMode block, even if all I do is use SetUIFloat to set an element to a new value, it seems to only make the change every 3-4 seconds. Is this a limitation when setting UI values, or could I be doing something wrong in script or somewhere else?
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:03 pm

A separate question: When I'm updating an item to be displayed in the UI, it seems to be very slow, taking 3-4 seconds to update. For instance in script in a MenuMode block, even if all I do is use SetUIFloat to set an element to a new value, it seems to only make the change every 3-4 seconds. Is this a limitation when setting UI values, or could I be doing something wrong in script or somewhere else?

It may be the game not updating the visual value every frame unless prompted to do so.
Janette Segura

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Quest scripts run in 5 sec intervals by default. SetQuestDelay would help move things along. :)
Brooke Turner

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Quest scripts run in 5 sec intervals by default. SetQuestDelay would help move things along. :)

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Np. Don't keep it low for long unless you need to though. I found 0.1 to work well for general UI use. 0.05 makes fx butter smooth. :D
Elena Alina

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3