[RELz] Fallout Script Extender (FOSE) v1

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 am

A question to the FOSE team: do you think it would be possible to query the game navmesh? Like "how long is the smallest path between REF1 and REF2"?
Or just returning the path between two points, the rest can easily be done if that information is available.

James Wilson

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 am

Until a GetActiveMenuSelection function is possibly implemented (hope), does anyone know of some other method of achieving a similar result?
Heather Stewart

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Just wanted to inform you guys.. CompareNames is asswards. It returns 0 when the names are equal (which is sort of the opposite of what most would expect). Could this little tibbit be added to the command documentation?. Took me the good part of an hour to figure this out.

EDIT: also, getteleportcell doesnt seem to do a thing. It's always returning 0 for me
u gone see

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 am

Just wanted to inform you guys.. CompareNames is asswards. It returns 0 when the names are equal (which is sort of the opposite of what most would expect). Could this little tibbit be added to the command documentation?. Took me the good part of an hour to figure this out.

EDIT: also, getteleportcell doesnt seem to do a thing. It's always returning 0 for me

CompareNames follows the convention of the C standard strcmp function. 0 means the strings are equal, negative return values indicates str1 < str2, positive indicates str1 > str2.
You are right that the command descriptions could use some more detail.
I will take a look at GetTeleportCell.
I'd like to put in a request for a GetActiveMenuSelection function as in OBSE. As the OBSE command doc states, it "returns the item in the active menu over which the mouse is currently positioned" - I'm assuming that it more generally includes the highlighted item as well.

Sure. A lot of decoding of the menu classes has to happen first due to the way Bethesda's UI code is set up. Planning to expand the set of UI commands for the next release.
A question to the FOSE team: do you think it would be possible to query the game navmesh? Like "how long is the smallest path between REF1 and REF2"?
Or just returning the path between two points, the rest can easily be done if that information is available.

Eventually, yes. We'll have to do some digging. Could be kinda fun.
Javier Borjas

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 am

Until a GetActiveMenuSelection function is possibly implemented (hope), does anyone know of some other method of achieving a similar result?

You can check a controls (hotrect || target==true) mouseover trait to determine if it's under the cursor.
Lewis Morel

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:01 am

Hi there.

I was wondering if the FOSE team have any plans to re-visit the con_SetVel call. The reason I ask is that I'm looking at creating a ground vehicle, using a scripted solution rather than a creature-based solution.

[snip]

Is eight days long enough to wait before asking again :)? Sorry if this seems like spamming - a quick "we're not planning to do this" would be answer enough.

Thanks.
mishionary

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:31 am

Does anyone know if a FOSE Helmet FOV mod is being worked on, like the ones from Oblivion and Morrowind?
Angela Woods

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:05 pm

It's barely a FOSE work imho. Mostly meshing.
Anthony Santillan

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 am

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=980646, as expected. It isn't out for PC yet, but once it is, we'll have to update FOSE again to add support for it. A new beta will be released as soon as possible after the PC version shows up, dropping support for the two 1.4 patches.

Please note that patching will temporarily break FOSE until we release our update.
Adam

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 am

Hey there, I have a small request and I think quite a large request. Hope it isn't too much work.

The small request;
A proc or script command which enables me to detect if an NPC has force-started a conversation with the player, this would fix a bug in SSC without needing my current (and annoying) workaround (which is just close every menu instead of jumping back to the vanilla menu). Some more information: This bug occurs when an NPC forces the player to start a conversation with the dialogue package, which has two options: Start Conversation and Say To. Say To is when the player doesn't get access to the usual dialogue options, instead just a pre-determined quest related dialogue. This is when the bug occurs, when the NPC tries to exit the conversation, the player is stuck on the screen, it has the option to enter the 'Friend...' conversation option, but not to say goodbye. I have just added a goodbye tag to my 'Nevermind' choice, but this would annoying to most who want to speak after doing his/her business in 'Friend..'

Anyway, the information was probably useless to use, and made no sense to me while typing it, as I have a headache. I've forgotten what else I was about to type.. Ugh, I'll get on with the second one.

The large request(s);
A way to manipulate, as in add/remove and choose from a leveled list. Then the ability to save this leveled list in the savefile. Basically, I want to be able to add all companions the player recruits to one list. Then when you give them a non-dialogue related command (by holding down a button and clicking) the NPC with the highest skill in accordance to the thing you clicked will do it. I have -already- been able to emulate this with your current list commands, but they don't give me the functionality I would like. Think the leveled list commands you did for OBSE.

Thankyou so much if you consider this, if you don't I HATE YO- Tricked you, you guys are awesome either way. Without you SCC wasn't really possible. And a vast majority of all mods in existance since forever IN THE TIME SPACE CONTINUIUM OF THE UNIVERSE IN- bah, nothing is making sense to me, my head hurts. Anyway.. I hope I haven't weirded you out now.. Man I feel weird. Uh, anyway...

Thanks again.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 am

I might be blind, but is there any mention of implementing a "rand" function like in OBSE? GetRandomPercent's lack of randomness is quite disturbing (and the fact it only generates numbers between 1 and 100 is highly annoying.)
Phoenix Draven

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:08 pm

A way to manipulate, as in add/remove and choose from a leveled list. Then the ability to save this leveled list in the savefile.

QFT. It's already on the list though, I've asked about it myself. :)
Amber Ably

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:47 am

You can check a controls (hotrect || target==true) mouseover trait to determine if it's under the cursor.

Thanks DarN - that's the reverse of what I'd want to do, but it could still be very helpful.

And thanks Scruggs! I realize how much work you guys have to do to create and add features to FOSE. All your work is immensely appreciated!
Maddy Paul

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:26 am

Well, mouseover == 1 is active. If you hit enter when mouseover is 1, the control will be clicked. Did I misunderstand you?
Maeva

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 am

I found that out the hard way.

What can I do now without losing my save game?

Can I reinstall the game (to be fresh back to before it was patched) and then just dump my save games in the fresh directory from an external back up?

Was this a problem with OBSE as well? I do not remember that, but then I waited a long time before using OBSE, so all that may have been worked out already.

Thanks

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=980646, as expected. It isn't out for PC yet, but once it is, we'll have to update FOSE again to add support for it. A new beta will be released as soon as possible after the PC version shows up, dropping support for the two 1.4 patches.

Please note that patching will temporarily break FOSE until we release our update.

Wayne Cole

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, mouseover == 1 is active. If you hit enter when mouseover is 1, the control will be clicked. Did I misunderstand you?

I don't want the control to be clicked. As with the way the inventory repair menu works, when you hit 'R', that menu is getting a reference to the item that is currently highlighted (moused-over). I want to be able to do the same thing.

I suppose you could loop through the entire list of items in the player's inventory until you find one with target==true, but I doubt that would be efficient, and I'm also unsure how to go about looping through the items, as afaik there is no way to handle a list of references in FO3 script, or another built in way to step through an inventory with FOSE or otherwise.

Of course I could be missing some other easy way to use what you're saying :)
Miguel

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 am

Actually... Could I continuously poll for controls in the inventory list that have mouseover==true? Is there a way they are exposed from the UI xml? (I'm assuming each item name displayed is a control/button in the UI, correct?) There should only ever be one with mouseover=true, and if I set a ref var in script when it goes true, I can hold it until my menu hotkey is pressed. I would need to do another check to see if that item/control is still has mouseover=true at the time of hotkey press, but that should be simple.

I think this would be getting more into the UI code and implementation. If you think it's more appropriate, please reply in http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=980371.

Separate question: I must be missing something obvious, but is there a function, FOSE or otherwise, that returns an item's name? That is, the display name?

EDIT: changed 'target' to 'mouseover' for correction and clarity.
Budgie

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

The target bit was just to elaborate on what I meant by "control". A target trait set to true, means the element can receive input, such as mouseover messages and clicks. Likely all items in the inventory has target == true. Only one will have mouseover == true though, which was my point. A mouseover of 1 == active/focused, even if the mouseover state was reached through keyboard/gamepad navigation.
bimsy

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 am

Have you got GetOpenKey to work on terminals yet? (or created a different command for them (GetPassword?))
Genevieve

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 am

The target bit was just to elaborate on what I meant by "control". A target trait set to true, means the element can receive input, such as mouseover messages and clicks. Likely all items in the inventory has target == true. Only one will have mouseover == true though, which was my point. A mouseover of 1 == active/focused, even if the mouseover state was reached through keyboard/gamepad navigation.

Yeah, for a moment I was mistakenly thinking target and mouseover were the same (target = active, mouseover = highlighted). I should have been saying 'mouseover' in place of 'target' in my last post. (I'll go edit that post for clarity.)

I just posted in regards to this over in my http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=980371&st=0&p=14185741&#entry14185741, as I had more questions about UI rather than script. If you have a chance, please take a look there as well.
Roberta Obrien

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Anyone know?

What can I do now without losing my save game?

Can I reinstall the game (to be fresh back to before it was patched) and then just dump my save games in the fresh directory from an external back up?

(ianpatt @ Apr 20 2009, 08:00 PM)
Incoming update to add the Broken Steel achievements, as expected. It isn't out for PC yet, but once it is, we'll have to update FOSE again to add support for it. A new beta will be released as soon as possible after the PC version shows up, dropping support for the two 1.4 patches.

Juliet

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 am

spookyfx.com wth are you talking about? o,0
Simply, when the DLC comes and the patch comes, wait until fose releases the new beta before patching to the new version and installing the dlc.
Angela Woods

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am

sorry I guess I was not clear.

I already patched the game before the warning came out in this thread (or before I saw the warning anyway) about NOT patching the game.

I installed the game for the firs time and patched it naturally per the game dev instructions.

So now I have a patched game, and FOSE is broken (will not run).
What do I do now without losing my save game?

Can I simply re-install the game and then use my save game files?

Do/should I use ANY patch at all such as the "fake patch"?

spookyfx.com wth are you talking about? o,0
Simply, when the DLC comes and the patch comes, wait until fose releases the new beta before patching to the new version and installing the dlc.

Alex [AK]

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 am

Ehm.. AFAIK, the new patch that post was warning about is the NEXT upcoming patch.. current latest is still 1.406 right?, if so, that's still supported.
kyle pinchen

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:34 am

oh, I see.

I must be having some other issue (why the game will not run with FOSE)
I guess it could be the mod then.

I only have two, one that works fine but does not need FOSE , but the other one needs FOSE and when I use it the game CTD with a windows crash report.

Thank you for the help.

Ehm.. AFAIK, the new patch that post was warning about is the NEXT upcoming patch.. current latest is still 1.406 right?, if so, that's still supported.

Rodney C

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3