[RELZ] Julan, Ashlander Companion

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 10:39 pm

How weird. I wonder which mod was affecting his fight settings! Glad you fixed it! :)
Adam Baumgartner

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 am

How weird. I wonder which mod was affecting his fight settings! Glad you fixed it! :)

I can't even begin to imagine. lol
adame

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:02 am

I love Julan and have played him all the way through before, (I am playing as a male and want to see how the "buddy/buddy" non-romance story-line is. I keep needing to have him wait because I am currently rising through the ranks of the Temple and I don't want to keep taking him to Red Mountain before he is ready.

How ironic, I'm currently doing the exact opposite of that.

It's always been buddy chars with me and him, and now I'm trying a lover character with him. I also ascended to Matriarch of the temple with her, and while Julan didn't have much to say about the Temple Storyline, when he did chime in it was a blast!

Kateri, you should sign Julan on a contract with some recording studio, his
Spoiler
Pilgrimage Song
would be a top hit! :D

Spoiler
I'm also still waiting for my 7 drakes. <_<

-DL :chaos:
Jessie Butterfield

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 am

Hey, that ash yam is a quality item! Worth at least... two and a half drakes! :P

(I wasn't initially planning to give him commentary on the Temple quests, but I did as a late addition for the wonderful Hand of Sotha who beta tested extensively for me, and that was his favourite faction. I'm glad I did it now, as I actually think some of my favourite bits are in there!)
Lucky Boy

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am

I guess it must have been if that's all
Spoiler
he was so overprotective of whenever we mingled in a Thieves Guild Den!
:lol:

Edit: Oh, and y'know what? I just had the greatest idea! Why don't I have my character
Spoiler
sneeze on the Ash Yam and give that back to Julan, then he can use it as his requested Temple Saint's Relic from me! Then the poor old Shoes of Saint Llothis won't be the 'worst relics ever' anymore!

Edit 2:
(I wasn't initially planning to give him commentary on the Temple quests, but I did as a late addition for the wonderful Hand of Sotha who beta tested extensively for me, and that was his favourite faction. I'm glad I did it now, as I actually think some of my favourite bits are in there!)

I see, I am glad you did put that in then, because I agree. Given the richness of that content, I might have to play House Hlaalu, Fighter's Guild, and Mage's Guild again for the first time in years, just to hear what he has to say about them.

Jack Walker

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:07 am

I guess it must have been if that's all
Spoiler
he was so overprotective of whenever we mingled in a Thieves Guild Den!
:lol:

:rofl: Naaah, he was worried about the eight pounds of hackle-lo in his boots... :P
sophie

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:27 am

Just a small note that I'm doing a little journal-thing for Shani in Oblivion at the moment. Yes, I know, it's terribly self indulgent, but it's serving as my note-taking method for her character development. So it may end up including things I use for expanding her dialogue in an update to this mod... but no breath-holding, please!

http://shani-z.livejournal.com/

This journal is primarily something for myself, but any and all comments are very welcome!
Inol Wakhid

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:04 am

I for one have always found those character travel logs very interesting.
I'll keep watching this.
Danielle Brown

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:10 am

Just a small note that I'm doing a little journal-thing for Shani in Oblivion at the moment. Yes, I know, it's terribly self indulgent, but it's serving as my note-taking method for her character development. So it may end up including things I use for expanding her dialogue in an update to this mod... but no breath-holding, please!

http://shani-z.livejournal.com/

This journal is primarily something for myself, but any and all comments are very welcome!

Well I do have to give you one thing. That's is the most interesting take on the beginning of Oblivion, ever... of all time.

Daramis McGee

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 am

At the risk of sounding fanboyish, let me say that I'm really enjoing the blog, and am looking forward to more adventures of Shani and the scrib scribe.
megan gleeson

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:06 am

[EDIT]Ah, I forgot to get the gift. I'm fine now

This is the best companion mod I've played so far. Love the dialog and humor, also the leveling system is great.
Alba Casas

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am

It's all your fault, Kateri. :P

Julan's awesomeness has forced me into giving myself a 'jump in headfirst in the deep end' start to modding.

Translation: I'm working on my own uber-companion mod that has commentary on the MC and the like. Just for personal use, since it's a Morrowind-ized version of a novel I'm working on. But seeing how you made Julan do what he did has helped immensely. Nevermind the inspiration bit.

Vampires, honorable ones, and romance. But of course I'll still keep Julan around to romance in some files. :D He's too hilarious to pass up.
JAY

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 am

I can't really think of any compliments that have not already come up. It's the best companion mod I've seen to date, and also noteworthy seen as a quest mod. Charming and hilarious writing.

Would the startcombat trick work for other companions refusing to follow, e.g., Constance?

After a (long) while, Julan lost his Companion Share option. I could bring it back that by once using the telepathy ring while he was actually following me. However, his skills were back to their original values. Odd.

You know, I was going to ask about real-life inspiration for the characters... Now I have a primary suspect for Shani.
dav

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 pm

I can't really think of any compliments that have not already come up. It's the best companion mod I've seen to date, and also noteworthy seen as a quest mod. Charming and hilarious writing.

:touched:

Would the startcombat trick work for other companions refusing to follow, e.g., Constance?

Yes, probably - it's usually safe enough to try, at any rate.

After a (long) while, Julan lost his Companion Share option. I could bring it back that by once using the telepathy ring while he was actually following me. However, his skills were back to their original values. Odd.

There's supposed to be a backup script tracking his skills... try training him in something, and see if the other skills get reset afterwards.

You know, I was going to ask about real-life inspiration for the characters... Now I have a primary suspect for Shani.

Oh yes? Who? (no, really!)
Nana Samboy

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Just played through the main quest for the first time. I re-installed Morrowind, modded it so it was up to standard (Including this mod) then went around playing, without reading any information about the mods really. I hate to find out where exactly something is... takes away some of the adventure. Now, keeping in mind this is my first time playing through the main quest, I had no idea about Ghostgate until I was actually required to go through... and I think you all know when that is. -tear-

Because of the way you described this mod, I was under the impression that because you had integrated this companion into the main quest so much, you'd meet him at some point during the main quest. I finally ran into him about 30 minutes ago, to a lovely "You're too late in the quest to get this companion". (Or something along those lines). Just spent the last half-hour finishing off the main quest, but once I found out I couldn't get a great companion now, I'm not motivated to carry on with the game anymore. ;-;
kristy dunn

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 am

Just played through the main quest for the first time. I re-installed Morrowind, modded it so it was up to standard (Including this mod) then went around playing, without reading any information about the mods really. I hate to find out where exactly something is... takes away some of the adventure. Now, keeping in mind this is my first time playing through the main quest, I had no idea about Ghostgate until I was actually required to go through... and I think you all know when that is. -tear-

Because of the way you described this mod, I was under the impression that because you had integrated this companion into the main quest so much, you'd meet him at some point during the main quest. I finally ran into him about 30 minutes ago, to a lovely "You're too late in the quest to get this companion". (Or something along those lines). Just spent the last half-hour finishing off the main quest, but once I found out I couldn't get a great companion now, I'm not motivated to carry on with the game anymore. ;-;

Sorry to hear this, but it was fairly clearly stated that you shouldn't be much further than the Vivec Informants point in the main quest before you meet him. Perhaps that needs rewording, but you're the first person in over two years to report such a misunderstanding. On reflection, though, I can see how it could be misconstrued. Anyway, there is a quest you can pick up from a latest rumor in Ald'ruhn that sends you to Ghostgate to meet him, as an in-game hint, and the mod description tells you what to do when you check the mod in the data files loader. Maybe I'll try and think how it could be clearer, but there is a reason for the documentation, even if it's immersion breaking to read it.
Tiffany Holmes

Post » Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I did actually read through the documentation and FAQ after I reached the informants part of the quest because I was a bit worried that I hadn't run into Julan yet.

When I read through it though, I got to this line:

It is NOT playable by characters who are past the Vivec Informants point in the main quest.

I assumed that something happened around this point in the quest that triggered a meeting with the character later on, or something similar, which meant you couldn't load this mod after you'd reached this part of the quest. I didn't realise you needed to meet him before that point in the quest.

I'm guessing the main reason I'm the first one to get this problem, is that maybe I'm the first one to try and load it up without any prior main quest experience. Had I known that you weren't directed to Ghostgate till the very end of the quest, I would have put two and two together and realised that the run in with Julan wasn't something I'd just come across playing through.

I'll play through if I ever make a new character to beat the main quest, though.
Greg Swan

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:37 am

That is sad to hear Perris. Best advise I can give is to start a new char or load an old enough save of your current one. I also sympathize with sometimes losing the will to go on with the MQ, but trust me, Julan IS worth it!

Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 am

He's absolutely worth it.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to finagle my own character ending up with both him AND Aryon, roleplay-wise...
latrina

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 11:28 am

Sorry to hear this, but it was fairly clearly stated that you shouldn't be much further than the Vivec Informants point in the main quest before you meet him. Perhaps that needs rewording, but you're the first person in over two years to report such a misunderstanding. On reflection, though, I can see how it could be misconstrued. Anyway, there is a quest you can pick up from a latest rumor in Ald'ruhn that sends you to Ghostgate to meet him, as an in-game hint, and the mod description tells you what to do when you check the mod in the data files loader. Maybe I'll try and think how it could be clearer, but there is a reason for the documentation, even if it's immersion breaking to read it.

Well, one of the informants you have to see could have a modified dialogue with a "continue" addendum in which they tell you to go see some scholar for more information. For example: "Avelina Catena was doing a tour of Morrowind to write a book on Morrowind folktales, prophecies and rumors. She probably knows as much, or more, than me: I remember we asked the same questions you did but it seemed she was just trying to recoup information. She was to go back soon to Cyrodiil with her findings, but she might still be in Ghostgate for a little time. You should hurry there if you want to see her." Then said NPC is not there to be found, of course -- the player is probably too late, or maybe she was eaten by a kagouti on her way; but it tells the player to go to Ghostgate and allows thus to meet Julan "coincidentally".
gandalf

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:33 am

I think the reason it's more of a problem in the more recent version is that originally, I *did* totally block off the main quest till you'd met Julan. But that seemed to upset people more, so I changed it to allow you to carry on with the main quest and ignore him if you want to, as it IS made clear he's in Ghostgate, and you're given an in-game reason to go there. I'd like to avoid altering the original dialogue for quest NPCs as much as possible to maintain compatibility, so I think I'll just try and clarify the documentation in future.
maya papps

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 am

I think the reason it's more of a problem in the more recent version is that originally, I *did* totally block off the main quest till you'd met Julan. But that seemed to upset people more, so I changed it to allow you to carry on with the main quest and ignore him if you want to, as it IS made clear he's in Ghostgate, and you're given an in-game reason to go there. I'd like to avoid altering the original dialogue for quest NPCs as much as possible to maintain compatibility, so I think I'll just try and clarify the documentation in future.

Good choice I think. But the readme is pretty clear.

Edit: Oh yeah. I also wanted to mention a funny little occasion I had while playing Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins with Julan. I was at the top of the new Dagoth Ur Citadel, I chased a dreamer archer in combat and he fell of the edge of the tower into the volcano, and then Julan jumped in after him! :rofl:

Fortunately, I managed to warp him back to me before he got crispy.

carley moss

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am

That is sad to hear Perris. Best advise I can give is to start a new char or load an old enough save of your current one. I also sympathize with sometimes losing the will to go on with the MQ, but trust me, Julan IS worth it!

After sleeping on it, I decided to re-play with a new character. I wont be losing much. I did rush through the main quest a bit, leaving out some of the more interesting parts.

This time I'll go pick up Julan, then perhaps play through one of the houses and go around freelancing for a while. Then once I'm ready, play through the main quest again :3

I think the documentation is perfect for most people. When I look through I can see how I completely mis-understood it, so maybe I'm just a little weird...
!beef

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 am

@Imrov
O rly? Be careful with that one....

@Kateri
I guess the only thing I can say is what everyone else has said. Awesome revolutionary companion mod. I myself spent time improving his Tribunal and Bloodmoon dialogue, as well as add features that are going into my Aveil Companion mod. Would have definately made Grumpy proud...; ;
--

make sure to look out for it when it's finally released. ;)
vicki kitterman

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:59 am

Is Julan supposed to have companion share in the beginning or do I get that option later? Excellent mod so far, by the way.
Taylor Bakos

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind