Lichdom vol 2

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Never played TESII sadly :cold: ... But anyway i mean travel freely between the world of the dead and the mortal plain. As a powerful undead creature you could either release them from torment or use them to farther your necromantic lunacy if you will. I'd like to be a good lich and an evil lich. :hubbahubba:

The realm of the dead would wipe your memory clean. There is no underworld. When a person dies, they go to the Dreamsleeve (or their respected daedra of worship, but ignore this part). Once in the Dreamsleeve, their memories are wiped clean and stay there till they are reborn again, clean of all past experiences. Once in the Dreamsleeve, you don't leave until you are reborn a mortal again. So, the only way you'll see a troubled spirit, is if they're in Mundus still. And you don't need to be a necromancer or an undead being to release them from their torment.

Also, read my link below for what necromancy is [censored] about. And that is for ALL you guys who are new to TES or just don't don't know all that much about necromancy in TES are basing assumptions on other source material outside of TES.
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

The realm of the dead would wipe your memory clean. There is no underworld. When a person dies, they go to the Dreamsleeve (or their respected daedra of worship, but ignore this part). Once in the Dreamsleeve, their memories are wiped clean and stay there till they are reborn again, clean of all past experiences. Once in the Dreamsleeve, you don't leave until you are reborn a mortal again. So, the only way you'll see a troubled spirit, is if they're in Mundus still. And you don't need to be a necromancer or an undead being to release them from their torment.

Also, read my link below for what necromancy is [censored] about. And that is for ALL you guys who are new to TES or just don't don't know all that much about necromancy in TES are basing assumptions on other source material outside of TES.

Interesting where did you find that information.
Jennifer May

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Interesting where did you find that information.

Here's a discussion that should help, since I'm too exhausted to explain: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1000865&hl=Dreamsleeve
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am

Well, but common sense hardly applies here. We are discussing game mechanics. Half of the things in the game are against common sense. That is why this is a fantasy game and not a real life simulator. What remains of you after the ritual of lichification is up to the devs to decide. Remember, that you cannot compare the game liches to their real life counterparts as there are none.
From what we know so far, becoming a lich does not have to be illegal or immoral. And TES lore describes a case of someone who became a lich as a selfless act (or what is more selfless then protecting your village from demons, dspite the fact that your own tribesmen chased you off?), so again, you assumptions are counterd in the lore.
The purpose of becoming a lich is to gain more power, sure, but wanting to have more power does not mean that you are evil. before the election a president candidate wants more power too and not all presidents are evil. Power does not make you evil, the way you use it does. The second reason to become a lich is role playing. There is no greater goal my necromancer can achieve. And that is what the whole game is about, isn't it? About role playing.

If you put it like that then I can only agree. But as I wrote before, in that case it would have to be one of the endings of the game (this would also mean some correlation of the main quest with a guild questline - finally!). Nonetheless I feel I would be a little less immersed being reminded once again this world doesn't work like the real world thus becoming less real to me...
Lil Miss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

Actually, if you speak with the nords in Solstheim, they tell you upfront that those zombies are a complete abomination and are not protectors. The Skaal despise them for being a complete mockery of the All-Maker, and the guys at Thirsk hate encountering them, because they're zombies with the bloodthirst of a beserker. Here's the complete dialog offered by NPCs in BM of what they think of the draugr (the nord zombies):

Thanks for that. It seems I had it a bit missmatched for some reason.

The point of being a lich is so that your mortal shell is now a corpse that'll no longer give up on you, so you longer die a normal death. Basically, it is completely intended that when one wants to become a lich, they want to be a magically powerful undead being. Think of it almost like an immortal shell for the soul to remain in. Plus, in every freaking game, they are either skeletons or corpses with immense magical power.

Well, the fact that in every freaking game they are shown somehow does not mean that they will be like that in TES as well. I do not know about you, but I kind of like it that Beth sort of change many of the given rules and they try to be original.

And as far as the look of the lich goes, I understand it that after the process, your body is dead and thus is suspect to decay. But just after the process, you could look unhealthy, pale and whatnot, then after some days your flash would begin to rot and fall off and after some time you would be just a skeleton. What I'm saying is that the skeletal look does not have to kick in right after the ritual. Sure you will end up like that, but it is like aging. Your avatar in TES games will get older eventually, but in the course of the game you do not see any changes.

Ok sounds ok I guess... but I say no unless you can give me some good reason just because this just sounds like something you would have to do if you were bored, because you said you wont be able to talk to people, people will hunt you, you basically cant go into cities cause guards are hostile, and you cant do certain quests. Sounds like fun... :nuts: And the perks mostly sound like a well off mage. (except for the new faction and undead wont attack you)

In Morrowind vampires worked that way. And for thousands time, the fact that you would be attacked on sight and unable to start a conversation with any NPC is just your unfounded presumption.

Orcs, khajits and argonians are accepted races of Tamriel. Liches are undead beings that ,unless summoned and controlled by someone, are hated and will most likely be attacked on sight or fleed from. Now if liches are accepted by the communities why aren't there any walking around on the streets, buying things, having conversations and such? they are simply not welcome to the cities and villages. All liches that we have seen are rotten corpses that are hiding inside caves or tomb, no lich is walking around like a common person and thats why I assume all liches are rotten corpses.

Now if liches are playable shouldn't ghosts, zombies and mummies be playable as well?

Attacked on sight IF RECOGNISED. Besides, the Empire is big and the cultures differ. The approach in the parts of the Empire we have already seen may differ to those we are to see in TES V.
Especially in TES IV liches are not handeled well. But neither are vampires, bandits or other groups. Besides, it is very well possible that there are several ways to become a lich or that not all the liches are the same. Look at vampires. The first vampire was created by Molag Bal. And now, they are all very different as described in that Oblivion book, so why would all the liches have to be the same.
And as far as playable skeletons, mummies and zombies go, I do not think that this is possible. There are proves in the game that a lich remains his personality and self-awareness, but so far it seems that zombies, mummies and skeletons are mindless, therefore hardly playable. With hosts, it is more difficult. Some evidence suggest that a ghost can retain its former self, but they usually stay in this plane of existence for a singular purpose and sometimes are unable to manipulate the world around them other then by words or hints, which would strongly affect their possibilities.
Cesar Gomez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 am

Attacked on sight IF RECOGNISED. Besides, the Empire is big and the cultures differ. The approach in the parts of the Empire we have already seen may differ to those we are to see in TES V.
Especially in TES IV liches are not handeled well. But neither are vampires, bandits or other groups. Besides, it is very well possible that there are several ways to become a lich or that not all the liches are the same. Look at vampires. The first vampire was created by Molag Bal. And now, they are all very different as described in that Oblivion book, so why would all the liches have to be the same.
And as far as playable skeletons, mummies and zombies go, I do not think that this is possible. There are proves in the game that a lich remains his personality and self-awareness, but so far it seems that zombies, mummies and skeletons are mindless, therefore hardly playable. With hosts, it is more difficult. Some evidence suggest that a ghost can retain its former self, but they usually stay in this plane of existence for a singular purpose and sometimes are unable to manipulate the world around them other then by words or hints, which would strongly affect their possibilities.

You are basing your ideas on things that might be true. Have you any proof that liches are accepted anywhere or is that just something you made up? And how did you think they were going to hide their appearance?

Sure all liches are not the same but we don't have any proof that they are different from each other. Only because there are takling liches doesn't make them a creature that people will want to have around and why would all liches attack you on sight if they are so self aware? There are just as many proofs that ghosts keep their personality as liches do.
Rude Gurl

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

I dunno, man. They're always wearing some kind of hoodie.
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

You are basing your ideas on things that might be true. Have you any proof that liches are accepted anywhere or is that just something you made up? And how did you think they were going to hide their appearance?

No, just as yourself, I'm just guessing. My point in this thread is to show that if the devs so choose, there is enouch room for making liches playable. Sure, if the devs decide that they do not want to, then they will not. I'm just trying to show that it is not impossible.

The problem with lich's appearance is that they would most probably look quite ugly - rotting flesh and who know what. So, masking this by wearing hoods of full helmets as well as covering their bodies with robes, gloves and boots should prevent most common folks from recognising them.

And I guess we will agree that liches are sort of apt at magic. Since we already have illusion magic present why cannot the liches hide thier true nature using it?

Sure all liches are not the same but we don't have any proof that they are different from each other. Only because there are takling liches doesn't make them a creature that people will want to have around and why would all liches attack you on sight if they are so self aware? There are just as many proofs that ghosts keep their personality as liches do.

Again, there is no prove that they cannot be. I'm not saying that liches would be guys that would hang around your favourite pub, I'm saying that with some disguise they might keep the neccessary contact with people, like trading or questing. and as I have written, I do not think that ghosts neccessarily loose their personality as you can interact with soem in the game.
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 am

There is nowhere in the Empire where necromancy is widely accepted. You don't need to 'guess' at the reactions liches would recieve from 99% of people encountered, and that would be a bad reaction. Some illusion may be able to be used, but any good mage would easily be able to sense and dispel something like that.

So far there is no precedent for a cure for bieng a lich, and why would there be? It seems if one wanted to become unbelievably powerful and immortal they would know the concequences of bieng a lich in the first place. So while becoming a lich may be possible, and they may add it (though i doubt it...) it would instantly break the game. I have a feeling most of the fervor around wanting liches in the game comes from the same people who want dwarves to come back, and weresharks, and lots of dragons, etc etc.
Stephanie Valentine

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Is being accepted by NPC this much of an Issue? In Morrowind if you were a Vampire nobody would like to you except Telvannis and members of the Mage Guild. In Morrowind being a Vampire meant having a lot of power and being extremly lonely. So I guess if one becomes a lich it would work the same way, maybe with some quests only doable if you're a lich. But yeah, being hated by everyone would svck so I guess a cure would have to exist, the quest could be hard as hell though.
DAVId MArtInez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:23 am

bieng 'lonely' in a mostly static world game, or even RL usually means incredibly bored. So can just spare that.
Britney Lopez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am

Well nobody would force you to become a lich, you'd become one while being aware of how it would be after.
quinnnn

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

Would be awesome as long as you have a spell to disguise yourself or maybe even take over a dead body?
James Shaw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 am

Hey that's a neat idea. If one is strong enough to become a lich, possessing a dead body must be a piece of cake, would only be a temporary solution though, a dead body is still a dead body.
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 am

There is nowhere in the Empire where necromancy is widely accepted. You don't need to 'guess' at the reactions liches would recieve from 99% of people encountered, and that would be a bad reaction. Some illusion may be able to be used, but any good mage would easily be able to sense and dispel something like that.

In Daggerfall, necromancy is encouraged by the rulers and necromancers practice thier art openly. And since being a lich is about being a powerful spellcaster, why do you assume that every mage would be able to beat lich's magic and see through his illusion
So far there is no precedent for a cure for bieng a lich, and why would there be? It seems if one wanted to become unbelievably powerful and immortal they would know the concequences of bieng a lich in the first place. So while becoming a lich may be possible, and they may add it (though i doubt it...) it would instantly break the game. I have a feeling most of the fervor around wanting liches in the game comes from the same people who want dwarves to come back, and weresharks, and lots of dragons, etc etc.

There definitely should not be any kind of cure for lichdom. Even if the devs decide that as a lich you will lead a lonely existence without the ability to communicate with anyone (and i highly doubt this, as there is no reason to place such a restriction), still lichdome could be a nice thing you can do when you finish all the quests or if you do not care for quests. It would be an option, option that would make sense, so the ones who would like it could actually use it and the others might ignore it.

And no, I do not want to see dwemers back and I hope Beth will never destroy the lore they have about dragons by making them creatures you can fight. As far as werecreatures go, I know I would not play as one, but again, why not to add them if they are done tastefully.
Solène We

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

How's this for a solution to everyone's concerns about no one supporting necromancy? Have the Sload raise Thras. You're able to go, and practice freely.
ladyflames

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 am

I beleive Lichdom should be in for the mere reason of more choice. You know that you will be hated by most people so it is your CHOICE to become one.
Strawberry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 am

To deal with the other people's reaction to one being a lich, why not just have wearable masks to hide the player character's face if they ever choose to be a lich?
latrina

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Here's a discussion that should help, since I'm too exhausted to explain: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1000865&hl=Dreamsleeve

Thanks alot
Hope Greenhaw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 am

I would really like to be a lich, but it should not be a race, it should be a something you can achieve through arcane arts, and require that you are extremely powerful with magic.
Neko Jenny

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 pm

I would really like to be a lich, but it should not be a race, it should be a something you can achieve through arcane arts, and require that you are extremely powerful with magic.

But what would be the point then? It is usually done IN ORDER to become extremely powerful with magic...

And I will repeat myself one more time: cool idea, but only if it's one of the endings of the main quest
flora

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 am

I said no because it would take several in-game decades. Not possible from a gameplay point of veiw.
Baby K(:

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 am

I said no because it would take several in-game decades. Not possible from a gameplay point of veiw.

We really don't have much to go off of but in The Path of Transcendence its states: "Not even our Sovereign was quite certain how long this process would take, at it varies from one Necromancer to the next, based on many factors both physical and spiritual."

Therefore gameplay-wise its plausible it could only take a couple of days using the method that Celedaen was attempting to use.
Conor Byrne

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

You would have to become an eternal enemy of Meridia, the Daedric Prince of Life, she would send Aurorans after you while you sleep.
Sunny Under

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:56 am

You would have to become an eternal enemy of Meridia, the Daedric Prince of Life, she would send Aurorans after you while you sleep.

Well, if you become a lich you would most probably make Arkay and Meridia quite angry, but I ave never seen Aurorans bothering any other undead, so why the player? I guess that Meridia has better things to do than send her boys after every undead in the world
JESSE

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion