MGE for Windows 7 64 bit and Morrowind Resolution Changer

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:06 am

Ok I'm getting a few errors.

Near the end of installing DirectX ( R ) : "An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem."

When starting MGEgui shortcut: "MGE must be installed to the Morrowind directory."

When starting Morrowind: "The program can't start because d3dx9_40.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."

Why the [censored] is this so damned complicated
Tina Tupou

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Try running the MGEgui.exe directly from your Morrowind folder. Sounds like the shortcut you created on your desktop isn't pointing to the right location.
Andrea P

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 am

Try running the MGEgui.exe directly from your Morrowind folder. Sounds like the shortcut you created on your desktop isn't pointing to the right location.

"One or more MGE's files appear to be missing. Please reinstall." The folder "mge3.8.2-rev.0178" is in my Morrowind folder. If something is missing I've never installed it to begin with. Do I need to put MGE files/folders into the Data files folder? That's one layer deeper than where I put it.
Jordan Moreno

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:47 am

The contents of that mge3.8.2 need to be moved into your Morrowind folder. The MGEgui.exe, d3d8.dll, dinput8.dll, and the 'mge' folder need to be moved into your Morrowind folder (the same place where Morrowind.exe is). There is a Shaders folder that needs to go in Morrowind/Data Files, and a Textures folder that will also have to be moved into Morrowind/Data Files and merged with your existing Textures folder.
Lavender Brown

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:15 am

I've already done that. Is this mod available for Linux?
Phillip Brunyee

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 am

Good question. If you can get Morrowind running under Wine and have the requisite DirectX dll's registered and working in Wine I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I have to imagine it would take a lot more effort to get it working in Linux than it would in Windows.

I haven't run Linux as a desktop in quite a few years, but last time I did Wine wasn't so great at emulating DirectX based 3d games like Morrowind. Even when you got them to work the performance was so much worse than just running the game in Windows that it wasn't worth it. Maybe that's changed in the years since I've done it, but I can't imagine it's changed that much.
Dan Endacott

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 am

My brother said over the past three years Morrowind preformed better on higher settings through wine compared to Windows XP pro and Windows 7 ultimate x64.
Strawberry

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I've already done that. Is this mod available for Linux?

Check WineHQ. Someone reported in 2010 that MGE didn't work. I imagine it would probably be slow, by the way - AFAIK the directx instructions would all have to be translated to OpenGL.
Averielle Garcia

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 am

"One or more MGE's files appear to be missing. Please reinstall." The folder "mge3.8.2-rev.0178" is in my Morrowind folder. If something is missing I've never installed it to begin with. Do I need to put MGE files/folders into the Data files folder? That's one layer deeper than where I put it.

Just copy every file there is in the MGE v3.8.2-SVN_rev-0178 folder to drop them in the Morrowind and click yes to all to overwrite if prompted. Do you have these files in your Morrowind folder?

archive files:
mge3 folderd3d8.dlld3input8.dllMGEgui.exe

Keeley Stevens

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Just copy every file there is in the MGE v3.8.2-SVN_rev-0178 folder to drop them in the Morrowind and click yes to all to overwrite if prompted. Do you have these files in your Morrowind folder?

archive files:
mge3 folderd3d8.dlld3input8.dllMGEgui.exe

I copied them and replaced everything that looked the same in the Morrowind folder again. I found out that I do not have d3input8.dll at all, I never even downloaded it. Is there a way that I can receive this and only this? Could someone email me this file?
John Moore

Post » Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 pm

I copied them and replaced everything that looked the same in the Morrowind folder again. I found out that I do not have d3input8.dll at all, I never even downloaded it. Is there a way that I can receive this and only this? Could someone email me this file?

No I can't e-mail you that file, because it would be wrong for me to do that besides that file is in that archive. :)

You can get it by just extract the http://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/files/Beta%20Releases/MGE%203.8%2B%20SVN%20builds/mge3.8.2-rev.0178.7z/download archive into Morrowind like this. Select the archive and right click on it to select "Extract to..." (choose \Morrowind folder) option from the popup menu.
That should do it and you would have the "d3input8.dll" file in the Morrowind directory now, because if you didn't you're doing something wrong with the extractive files.
KRistina Karlsson

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am

This is the third time I downloaded and extracted the entire thing onto my Morrowind folder. This time, I'm using the third download instead of the original just to make sure. I have 146 errors for all 146 files while extracting saying: "Can not delete output file etc." So it can't replace it. Nevertheless, I still do not have "d3input8.dil" on my computer. I have everything else. I tried using "search" to find the file and it's not coming up. Is there a special way to find this file? Is it hidden from me?

My mge3.8.2-rev.0178 folder in my downloads folder, so this is before I extracted, has a data files folder, mge3 folder, d3d8.dll file, and MGEgui. I have no clue why I'm missing d3input8.dil. This must imply that something was lost/went wrong when downloading. I have done this three times, and the last two times 7z failed to delete 146 files, which I believe means it cannot replace the original files with a fresh set. I received no errors while downloading.
Marie Maillos

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 am

Is there nothing I can do? I've done everything you've asked. For whatever reason I'm not downloading a file, or it's being downloaded completely separate from everything else and is hidden so I can't see it.
Ice Fire

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:13 am

Download the archive again, extract it to somewhere other than your Morrowind folder, then move the file(s) to your Morrowind folder.

The dinput8.dll file is definitely in the archive. Here is a screenshot of the MGE3.8.2 7zip file that I just downloaded from Sourceforge a couple minutes ago: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/KenClean-AirSystem/Morrowind/MGE-Contents.jpg.
Setal Vara

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:14 am

Download the archive again, extract it to somewhere other than your Morrowind folder, then move the file(s) to your Morrowind folder.

The dinput8.dll file is definitely in the archive. Here is a screenshot of the MGE3.8.2 7zip file that I just downloaded from Sourceforge a couple minutes ago: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/KenClean-AirSystem/Morrowind/MGE-Contents.jpg.

Yes it sure is. I've just check it my self and there is the 3dinput8.dll file included in that archive so the archive does have it.
christelle047

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Wonderful. I don't see the point in downloading the exact same file a fourth time, so I'll extract the original file somewhere else.
Music Show

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 6:33 am

When I extracted the files to my desktop, my AV thought it should tell me instead of doing things behind my back. I now restored the file I've been searching for and will copy it to my morrowind folder.

I may start over and try installing MGE (with Resolution Changer or separately) and Morrowind Code Patch on Linux using Wine. If I need help I'll make a new thread under Software/Hardware issues. In the mean time, I'll still try to get this to work for Windows 7.

Ok now that it's in my morrowind folder, (my AV quarantined it again and I had to tell it to behave) what do I do now? I double click on the gui and Windows immediately tells me that it has stopped working.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Yes. Just double click on the MGEgui.exe and you should be able to do the distant land wizard but only if you want that, because that's needed if you want to use shader 3.0 (found in the distant land tab).

No, you don't need to create another thread in the software, because that subforum is only for Morrowind it self and not for the 3rd party programs like MGE so this one can you use until your problems with MGE is gone.
Miguel

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 am

I double click on the gui and Windows immediately tells me it has stopped working.

I highly appreciate Demetrius and Leonardo's help. However, I am still not happily running Morrowind with MGE enabled, let alone have MGE function properly. I feel I am very close to getting this to run, so I will continue trying to get this mod to work on Windows. I will also be trying to install and run MGE through wine. Because the mod both extends the PC view and adjusts the resolution, I am extremely enthusiastic to try it out. I have no clue why the gui won't even start up. I met all of the requirements that have been posted. I believe all of the errors that I have previously specified are still active, except instead of it telling me to reinstall the gui, it won't run. I am now aware that my AV could be literally [censored] the entire process up without notifying me.
Baby K(:

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am

Try right clicking MGEgui.exe and selecting 'Run as administrator', or alternatively, right click MGEgui.exe choose 'Properties' then under the 'Compatibility' tab put a check in the 'Run this program as an administrator' box.
MR.BIGG

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 am

Now it asks me permission to open it before checking to see why it stops running. :P
I've noticed that the gui on the desktop, (the one I extracted earlier to see if it I would see the missing file) tells me that I need the expansions before running. It makes sense, but I still don't know why the gui that's in the Morrowind folder won't run.

I am still getting this error when trying to start Morrowind: "This program will not start because d3dx9_30.dll" is missing from your computer.

When I try to reinstall DirectX ( R ). it is searching for updates again. I then receive this error message: "An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem"

Would it be too much of a bother to post the lengthy Notepad that comes up when I search for DirectX.log?
TWITTER.COM

Post » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm guessing it won't run because of the problem you had installing the DirectX 9 components.

Another thing you might want to try before diagnosing your DirectX problem is running Morrowind Launcher.exe as Administrator, and setting a valid screen resolution from the launcher to make sure the Windows Registry has the correct values that MGEgui looks for when starting. If those registry entries aren't present MGEgui will not run and you'll get an error when trying to start it like you are getting. Once you do that, try starting MGEgui.exe again (as Administrator) and see if it starts.

Morrowind will not start and give the error you are seeing if the MGE files are present in the Morrowind directory and it hasn't been configured. You need to either get MGE up and running, or remove those files from the Morrowind directory to get Morrowind to start at this point.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:41 pm

I have three "Morrowind Launcher.exe" files when I search. The first one gives me the same error and the other two are Bloodmoon launchers. What is a valid screen resolution for gui? I haven't modified Morrowin's original resolution (I thought MGE does it, so I'm waiting on that) The resolution is 1024x768, fullscreen, with Pixel shading on. When I press play, I get the same error as before.
Laura Shipley

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 pm

You just want to start up Morrowind's Launcher by running as administrator to get the values written to the Windows registry. Windows 7 has a sometimes annoying feature of having virtualized registry's so each user has their own 'virtual' registry and some values never get written to Windows main registry file. MGE needs to see certain values in the the main Windows registry or it won't start. All you should need to do is run the Morrowind Launcher (it's the 'Morrowind Launcher.exe' found in your Morrowind folder) as administrator, set a resolution from the 'Options' menu and exit the launcher. Then try starting up MGEgui again. If everything else is in place it should start up ... if not then my guess is you still are missing some DirectX files that MGE needs.
W E I R D

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 am

Check WineHQ. Someone reported in 2010 that MGE didn't work. I imagine it would probably be slow, by the way - AFAIK the directx instructions would all have to be translated to OpenGL.

It looks like I won't be running MGE for Linux anytime soon! :P

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22419
"Rating: Garbage"

The Morrowind Launcher from my Morrowind folder gives me an error as an admin before I can even change the resolution. I'll try changing the Bloodmoon Launcher to see if that makes any difference.

Aha! Changing the bloodmoon resolution to the lowest setting allows me to run the gui! :foodndrink: What do I do from here? Can I make that "X is missing from your computer" message go away if I change something here?
Flutterby

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind