MGE for Windows 7 64 bit and Morrowind Resolution Changer

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 am

Nope just let it scan each of the subsystems and make sure there are no problems reported.
Amy Gibson

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 am

The only thing I can advice you to do is to reinstall Morrowind and install these http://www.fliggerty.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=65209#p65209 software plus the MGE-archive in that order. But before you do that I think you should reboot your computer first. :)
Jonathan Egan

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:58 am

What's going on here!!!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/

Download latest version. Extract it to desktop or C:\ or any temporary folder.

Run DXSETUP.EXE.

It can't go wrong.
Conor Byrne

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 am

The only thing I can advice you to do is to reinstall Morrowind and install these http://www.fliggerty.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=65209#p65209 software plus the MGE-archive in that order. But before you do that I think you should reboot your computer first. :)

well, according to the diagnostics i have directx version 11. would reinstalling directx version 9 or update it a 7th time do anything?

What's going on here!!!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/

Download latest version. Extract it to desktop or C:\ or any temporary folder.

Run DXSETUP.EXE.

It can't go wrong.

Will do...
Wait..already done?
This is the 5th time I'm downloading this...or a file that looks identical.

Would reinstalling morrowind do anything? I suppose it might not be DirectX's fault after all. I believe I have to do something before reinstalling directx for it to install properly. I'd like to note that I have many different copies of Morrowind. I have the backup, which I can copy and play right now, the launcher, the cracked [(don't need to insert cd)I believe all of them are that way actually] and a few others sitting in the Morrowind folder.

I've posted earlier where during the installation (according to the log) it has failed. Unfortunately knowing where it has failed doesn't help me understand why. But that's just me.
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 8:58 am

Just curious, is your Antivirus still running? When installing any program, please make sure you have no applications running, and suspend or turn off your antivirus. Make sure you are installing all programs as administrator. This means, right click on the .exe file and select the security tab. Check the box that reads: run as administrator. In addition, there is a Compatibility tab. It is wise to install all pre-Windows 7 programs in Windows XP compatibility mode. This includes DirectX 9.

To clarify what has probably already been said: Windows 7 has directX11. Morrowind and MGE require directX9. Installing directX9 will not conflict with directx11, but your computer will continue to report directx11 is installed and use it for programs which require it.

One last suggestion, remove or rename all of the extraneous morrowind executables and launchers. They are and will continue to confuse the issue. It is best, when using MGE, to run Morrowind from the morrowind.exe, not from a shortcut or a launcher.
Emma-Jane Merrin

Post » Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Well, I've downloaded either or both directx 9 and the latest updates. Unfortunately there is an error when installing. I do not know how to shut off my AV. Even when I toggle everything off in the menu and it says "you are no longer secure" it still decides to quarantine things. Either it labels certain files as a trojan eldiablo or there actually is something that is labeled as such. There is minimal information for the files it quarantines. If I find out how to shut off ClamAV I will temporarily do so during the installation.
Soraya Davy

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:21 am

Although I am all for opensource alternatives and I have used Clamwin and other Clam products in the past, any program which takes such liberties with files and has no obvious way to turn it off would fall under my personal definition of "virus" or at least "malware". I'll probably get a bit of flaming for this, but I find Microsoft Security Essentials and the built-in Microsoft firewall to be the most usable protection for Windows 7, especially the 64 bit version. I have yet to find another free AV or FW written for 64 bit that doesn't impinge on my computing experience more than is required to protect me from the bogeyman.

That said, first look in your "Startup" folder, it will be in the "All Programs" list when you press the "Start" button (or icon) on your taskbar. If there are any entries there, they will start every time you start windows. Move them out of there to prevent them from interfering with program installations. If there are no programs there, or your AV isn't in there, try looking under the AV settings for "Start when Windows starts" or something similar and un-check this. If there is no such setting, consider checking the Clamav forums for a way to temporarily suspend or shut down their product. I would also recommend doing a search for how to uninstall it completely, but whether or not your AV is getting in the way of your normal computer usage is a matter of personal opinion.

Even if you weren't having trouble installing anything, the more programs you have running in the background, the more resources will be unavailable to Morrowind and it could cause slowing or crashing during play.
Dean Brown

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 am

"Monitor program install" and "Monitor program start" is the closest thing I can see that might be related to "Start when Windows starts"
I have two programs in my startup folder: "Dropbox" and "SRS Premium Sound" I appreciate the advice.

I guess I'll look up "ClamAV forums" and ask there.

Even if you weren't having trouble installing anything, the more programs you have running in the background, the more resources will be unavailable to Morrowind and it could cause slowing or crashing during play.

The only thing that concerns me (for now) is getting Morrowind to start at all with MGE installed. Any bugs and issues while playing will apply afterwards. Besides, I think my 8 cores can handle it. :P
vicki kitterman

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 8:15 am

Morrowind cannot utilize multiple cores, though it will be advantageous if you dedicate one core to MW and not allow anything else to use that one.
Jordan Fletcher

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:39 am

Morrowind cannot utilize multiple cores, though it will be advantageous if you dedicate one core to MW and not allow anything else to use that one.

Is there a way to do that? You know, after I get this to work. I'm not sure if it would be necessary. My MAX FPS was at 240 by default, but I set it down to 70 so it doesn't have to work so hard, however I didn't notice it perform any different. I suppose if I extend it so can see the entire island it would be necessary to dedicate a core. The major reason why I'm so enthusiastic over MGE is because I want my game to look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZwQoR4im4
Kathryn Medows

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 am

Yes, you can assign processes to a particular core/CPU. When we get you there, we'll talk about it. As far as FPS goes, the default in the morrowind.ini file is way too high and you did well to lower it. There's a limit to what the average person can even perceive. Some say it's higher, some say it's lower, but I think that television is generally broadcast at 60 FPS so if you see much higher than that in a game it may seem less realistic, just by comparison. However, I only ever get into the high 50s in interiors. I'm usually just happy with high enough FPS that my game doesn't come to a screeching halt in Balmora.

As far as cores go, with my dual core Intel P8700 2.5GHz processor, Morrowind always takes up the entire core it is on. In fact, I don't know how whether or not it would take up the whole core no matter what . . . I just don't know the limits of Morrowind's CPU usage before it stops. Morrowind may just take however much you give it.

Once you get MGE installed and everything is running, don't forget there will be settings to change within MGE to make it look it's best.

Where are you in the installation process, now?
Paula Ramos

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 am

Where are you in the installation process, now?

Heh. :confused: Yea I'm going back and forth between ubuntu and windows trying to get this to work for either OS. I'm looking up ways to disable ClamAV now. I hope I don't have to uninstall it.
I just joined a clamav forum and is awaiting results.
Catherine N

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 7:00 am

Heh. :confused: Yea I'm going back and forth between ubuntu and windows trying to get this to work for either OS. I'm looking up ways to disable ClamAV now. I hope I don't have to uninstall it.
I just joined a clamav forum and is awaiting results.

Actually, uninstalling might be the easiest way around your problem. Disconnect your computer from the internet, uninstall your AV and then see about installing MGE.
You can always reinstall your AV after you get MGE running.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:14 am

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?49017-DirectX&p=827699&viewfull=1#post827699

I am passing it. :P

Your issue with Directx is the first one we need to fix. After that we can go further with getting MGE to work.
Flutterby

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 6:11 am

Actually, uninstalling might be the easiest way around your problem. Disconnect your computer from the internet, uninstall your AV and then see about installing MGE.
You can always reinstall your AV after you get MGE running.

That is...assuming AV is the issue. Is there a better AV that I can install to replace Clam?
Mark

Post » Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Is there a way to instruct ClamAV to ignore MGEgui.exe by any chance?
megan gleeson

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:14 am

Is there a way to instruct ClamAV to ignore MGEgui.exe by any chance?

Probably yes. But prerequisites first. We can't move further without installing Directx properly.

PS. Comodo AV. It has pretty nice features.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am

Probably yes. But prerequisites first. We can't move further without installing Directx properly.

How would you propose I do that? I've installed the directX updates twice off the internet and once right from a folder I made.
Justin Hankins

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:00 am

How would you propose I do that? I've installed the directX updates twice off the internet and once right from a folder I made.

Have you seen my post?

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?49017-DirectX&p=827699&viewfull=1#post827699
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Have you seen my post?

:sweat: No...haha im soo tired right now. I'll uninstall clam av and try to install the updates again.
Emma

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 am

I still recommend http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ if you're running a 64-bit Microsoft OS, but as vtastek said, just get clamav uninstalled and DirectX 9 installed before doing anything else.
Maria Garcia

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 am

:celebration: :foodndrink: :celebration: :foodndrink: :celebration: :foodndrink: :celebration:
"This program installed correctly and is now ready to use."
Morrowind works
gui works
The question is...using the gui to fit my needs
I luv u guyzzz :goodjob:
Special thanks to: Leonardo2 and Demetrius for not giving up on me from when I first posted, and vtastek and Elaura for very useful advice and solutions!
btw I just installed a free trial of AVG

Should I spam my MGEgui ignorance on the MGE thread or stay here? I'm not sure how it works.
lillian luna

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 am

Congratulations! I'll check in from time to time, but when it comes to actually tweaking the settings in MGE, I'm out of my league.
Setal Vara

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:07 am

I think it's working just fine. How do I change the aspect ratio?
Darren

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 am

I think it's working just fine. How do I change the aspect ratio?

The aspect ratio changes with the resolution you chose in MGE.
Taylor Thompson

PreviousNext

Return to III - Morrowind