So, Morrowinds been destroyed huh?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Well in the new Elder Scrolls novel, the Ministry of truth crashes into Vivec, and Red Mountain erupts, turning all of Vvardenfell and 75% of mainland Morrowind to lava blasted badlands, and destroying all major cities such as Vivec, Balmora, Mournhold, Narsis, Blacklight etc. And as for the other 25% of mainland Morrowind, the Argonians came and committed genocide against any living Dunmer for revenge. Any living Dunmer have went to two places, either to Cyrodiil, and these Dunmer would be the more Imperial Dunmer (Hlaalu), or to Solstheim, likely the more traditional Dunmer (Redorans, Indoril, Telvanni).

So anyway, I made this thread (and purposely put it here, in Morrowind General, not in the Lore forum) because I wanted to have a discussion about it with the Morrowind players.

So what do you guys think? How do you see the future of the Dunmer and Morrowind?
An Lor

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 am

Some of us have known about this for a while actually, thanks to the 5th era loveletter, and if you examine the MQ in Morrowind carefully, it foreshadows this incident with the tribunal's demise.
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 am

Blasphemy, I say! Morrowind will live on even if my Telvanni mage has to counter every single ounce of lava herself.
jason worrell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:43 am

So what do you guys think? How do you see the future of the Dunmer and Morrowind?

From what little I've read about the crashing of the Ministry moon into Vivec, it just sounds geologically implausible that it would destroy any bit of Vvardenfell, although I could see it taking out a couple of cantons of Vivec. It would need to have a pretty high velocity to do any real damage. The darn thing is like swiss-cheese, with the ordinators having burrowed all through it.

But a nice big phreatic explosion of Red Mountain could do the job. Like Krakatoa.
Kayla Keizer

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 am

Well some veterans who haven't read the book yet or heard what happened are going to have an unpleasant surprise in TESV.
Rob Davidson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:21 am

From what little I've read about the crashing of the Ministry moon into Vivec, it just sounds geologically implausible that it would destroy any bit of Vvardenfell, although I could see it taking out a couple of cantons of Vivec. It would need to have a pretty high velocity to do any real damage. The darn thing is like swiss-cheese, with the ordinators having burrowed all through it.

But a nice big phreatic explosion of Red Mountain could do the job. Like Krakatoa.

But it did have an incredibly high velocity. It retained all of the original velocity it had before it was stopped. Besides, The Ministry of Truth didn't cause the destruction of Vvardenfell all by itself, it just triggered the volcanic eruption that did.
Alexandra walker

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:37 am

This kind of thing happens, provinces get destroyed, lots of people die, it's a common occurance :lol: Okay, it actually isn't, but in a world where world threatening events have been known to ocurr and where the heroes sometimes have to kill gods, it's hardly a surprise that this sort of thing would happen and some point. Besides, it happened to Morrowind, the Dunmer had it coming. And with the whole no emperor on the throne thing and all that, it's no surprise that other events that would change the status quo will also occur.

Maybe this is the real reason the Nerevarine went to Akavir, to save himself from the whole affair. Though I doubt that's the case,

As to how this will effect the series, for one thing, I doubt we'll see anymore games in Morrowind any time soon.
Andy durkan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 pm

I didn't mind, because first it's good that the game world does not stay static, and two because the Love Letter from the Fifth Era already told us about it.
Pete Schmitzer

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 am

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a province destroyed before . Forgot the book that stated it though.
Alba Casas

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a province destroyed before . Forgot the book that stated it though.

Red Mountain had erupted before, but it didn't have a meteorite cause it. The moon crashed down on Vivec, Red Mountain really blew up bad this time, anything above ground on Vvardenfell has been destroyed, the seas are still boiling where Vivec used to be, the ash from the resulting blast has likely damaged a really good portion of the southern had of MW, and the Argonians invaded from the south to get their revenge. Currently, the dunmer moved to Solstheim, where, if the snippet from MK is correct, the nords there are going to be quite generous to their fallen ancient enemy.

You ask me, I'm glad this happened. Shook things up, and created new lore that was highly needed, as the world was beginning to become static.
Cody Banks

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 am

The continent of Yokuda?
Farrah Barry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

So, it's now been destroyed twice: first, when Red Mountain erupted and buried most of it under 200 feet of ash; the second time when Red Mountain erupts again and does whatever it does in the new book.
helen buchan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am

The continent of Yokuda?

That place was nuked.
megan gleeson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:51 am

You ask me, I'm glad this happened. Shook things up, and created new lore that was highly needed, as the world was beginning to become static.

I agree wholeheartedly, and also award you "Most gratuitous understatement of 2009." Congratulations, you just barely made it.
Solina971

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, and also award you "Most gratuitous understatement of 2009." Congratulations, you just barely made it.

I did borrow heavily from some of your early posts in other threads :P
Jinx Sykes

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 pm

well now epic war nords vs Dunmer. my poor ashlander :(
Mason Nevitt

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

meh, i dont really accept books as lore.

but i dont have too high of an emotional connection to the province of Morrowind. the argonians who killed all those damned slave traders though? totally justified. Argonian Power!

uuuuh.........yeah i agree with the ministry of truth thing. it would have lost all velocity, and just fallen into Vivec. in fact, isn't it just slightly off the corner of vivecs palace? if so it would destroy that, and maybe the nearest one would sustain damage. but not much but water is hitting the other cantons.
lisa nuttall

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 am

meh, i dont really accept books as lore.

but i dont have too high of an emotional connection to the province of Morrowind. the argonians who killed all those damned slave traders though? totally justified. Argonian Power!

uuuuh.........yeah i agree with the ministry of truth thing. it would have lost all velocity, and just fallen into Vivec. in fact, isn't it just slightly off the corner of vivecs palace? if so it would destroy that, and maybe the nearest one would sustain damage. but not much but water is hitting the other cantons.

Books=canon, like it or not.

And no, it wouldn't have lost any velocity. At all. That's been established from second one, that if the people rejected love then it would move again, at its velocity before Vivec stopped it. It's because he didn't levitate it or stop it that way, he sealed it in time. When time starts for it again, it starts instantly.
Abi Emily

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

Books=canon, like it or not.

And no, it wouldn't have lost any velocity. At all. That's been established from second one, that if the people rejected love then it would move again, at its velocity before Vivec stopped it. It's because he didn't levitate it or stop it that way, he sealed it in time. When time starts for it again, it starts instantly.

To elaborate, it was in one of Vivec's sermons, and he had pretty clear instructions on how to make sure it does NOT crash into Vivec. Sheogorath finally got his last laugh with the dunmer people.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:21 am

I'm pretty sure that only Vvardenfell and part of northern Morrowind were harmed, not 75%.

And why do people keep saying destroyed? Destroyed implies that you can never get it back. The land can be re-settled, re-farmed, etc. Sure, not anytime soon, but it's not lost forever. So yeah, it wasn't destroyed.
Maria Leon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 am

Actually 50 years is more than enough for nature to reclaim the land. So yeah, in TES 5 I'm pretty sure Morrowind will be pretty much as it was nature wise, with more Argonians and less cities.

Edit : Haven't read the novel though, so the destruction could be worse than what I imagine.
Sebrina Johnstone

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 am

I'm pretty sure that only Vvardenfell and part of northern Morrowind were harmed, not 75%.

And why do people keep saying destroyed? Destroyed implies that you can never get it back. The land can be re-settled, re-farmed, etc. Sure, not anytime soon, but it's not lost forever. So yeah, it wasn't destroyed.

I'd actually say southern morrowind, that is assuming the winds in morrowind blow south. When Red Mountain erupts, that ash will descend southwards, and decimate the landscape, as it seemed to imply in the book as Umbriel was flying over morrowind.
Michael Korkia

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 am

Actually 50 years is more than enough for nature to reclaim the land. So yeah, in TES 5 I'm pretty sure Morrowind will be pretty much as it was nature wise, with more Argonians and less cities.

Edit : Haven't read the novel though, so the destruction could be worse than what I imagine.

lol hopefully when the land is restored it doesnt become another "rich vibrant forest" because the volcanic ash gave enough nutrients to support that type of ecosystem.
Chloe :)

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:02 am

lol hopefully when the land is restored it doesnt become another "rich vibrant forest" because the volcanic ash gave enough nutrients to support that type of ecosystem.

Unless it was... a vibrant forest of Morrowind Mushroom Trees!
BethanyRhain

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am

I haven't read the book, but the uesp wiki says the explosion of red mountain destroyed the entire "island" meaning Vvardenfell. Nothing about destruction happening on the mainland. Maybe now vvardenfell will be gone and it will just be one big sea in the middle of Morrowind.
CHANONE

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion