So, Morrowinds been destroyed huh?

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that most of the province is alright, just the island of Vvardenfell is a disaster. So Tamriel Rebuilt is making a province that's just going to be stormed over by argonians in a few decades.
Monika Fiolek

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 am

According to lore, most of what is now Black Marsh province was flooded and destroyed. This happens, unfortunately. The real challenge is if Bethesda (and the authors they hire to write more TES novels) have the stones and creativity to rectify this or turn it into a feasible plot going forward. I have no issue with it per se, I just think that major points of the series history should not be exploited in a cheap way. If destroying morrowind generates good stories, great. If it creates dumbness or is just left lying that way, shame on you, Bethesda.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 am

TBH, I'm not just glad that Morrowind was destroyed, I simply can't understand why people became so up-in-arms about it. The freeing of Baar Dau and the destruction of Vvardenfell was the rational and logical outcome stemming from the events of TES:III Morrowind. Several trails of breadcrumbs led to it, never mind the bright flashing neon signpost that was the Loveletter.
Darren

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

According to lore, most of what is now Black Marsh province was flooded and destroyed. This happens, unfortunately. The real challenge is if Bethesda (and the authors they hire to write more TES novels) have the stones and creativity to rectify this or turn it into a feasible plot going forward. I have no issue with it per se, I just think that major points of the series history should not be exploited in a cheap way. If destroying morrowind generates good stories, great. If it creates dumbness or is just left lying that way, shame on you, Bethesda.

Woah woah woah... where did you read that? I don't remember reading anything about it in the book.
carley moss

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 am

Hey, those who haven't read the book and are making outrageous claims, READ IT! You're doing no justice to anyone when the things you say are either a hyperbole or just flat out wrong, and then either make demands or wallow in despair and complain. Also, who [censored] cares if Vvardenfell had really bad volcanic activity, while the mainland was hit hard by the following disasters and invasion. It was bound to happen at some point after Morrowind. The writing was written all over the wall.

Seriously, read it. Go to your local library and see if they have it, or get it for ~$10 at Amazon.
He got the

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 am

Woah woah woah... where did you read that? I don't remember reading anything about it in the book.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Black_Marsh

Comes from in-game lore books. It happened eons before, just illustrating that because something is destroyed. does not mean that it is useless to the story.
Ross Thomas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

Comes from in-game lore books. It happened eons before, just illustrating that because something is destroyed. does not mean that it is useless to the story.

EDIT: That portion was about Morrowind, nothing about Black Marsh flooding! Go read the damn book, and stop making claims you don't know to be true.
Angela

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 am

So what you said was inaccurate then. A lot of land was lost hundreds of years ago, but present-day Black Marsh is just peachy.
Genocidal Cry

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 am

I think one thing has been left out of this conversation. The size of Vvardenfell in "real-Nirn" size is more than the ~6sq mi of the game. No volcano can wipe out Vvardenfell at it's true size. Also, any impact in Vivec strong enough to cause a volcano in Red Mountain when it is so far away would probably also wipe almost all life off of Nirn when the required debris blocked out the sun a sunk the whole planet into an ice age even the hardiest Nords would be unable to endure.

So:

1] The destruction of Vvardenfell as it is described is impossible.
2] If the destruction of Vvardenfell is a swipe at at those who trashed Oblivion in comparison to Morrowind, then may I note that in the destruction of Vvardenfell something new to do with Morrowind still showed more creativity in regards to lore than anything in Oblivion.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:25 pm

I think one thing has been left out of this conversation. The size of Vvardenfell in "real-Nirn" size is more than the ~6sq mi of the game. No volcano can wipe out Vvardenfell at it's true size. Also, any impact in Vivec strong enough to cause a volcano in Red Mountain when it is so far away would probably also wipe almost all life off of Nirn when the required debris blocked out the sun a sunk the whole planet into an ice age even the hardiest Nords would be unable to endure.

So:

2] If the destruction of Vvardenfell is a swipe at at those who trashed Oblivion in comparison to Morrowind, then may I note that in the destruction of Vvardenfell something new to do with Morrowind still showed more creativity in regards to lore than anything in Oblivion.

:facepalm:
Brian LeHury

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 am

So:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

Though honestly, even a normal volcano could wipe it out.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:57 am

also, volcano plus getting hit by the [censored] moon? Plus angry lizardmen kicking you in the jewels while you're down? Plus recovering from a massive otherworldly invasion? It seems plausible to me, and the ash spewed by the volcano likely made the water undrinkable in far eastern Skyrim (A plot to simply modify the rads in water system from F3?)
Naughty not Nice

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 am

:facepalm:

What? A single asteroid wiped out the dinos, right? Well the writers effectively said the same thing happened at Vivec and then blew up Red Mtn. to boot. The described destruction of Vvardenfell is planet-killer scenario. The Dragon Break is more believable.
emily grieve

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:08 am

What? A single asteroid wiped out the dinos, right? Well the writers effectively said the same thing happened at Vivec and then blew up Red Mtn. to boot. The described destruction of Vvardenfell is planet-killer scenario. The Dragon Break is more believable.

But the asteroid that wiped out the dinos was MUCH larger than the one that wiped out Vivec city. Besides, it could have taken much more out, but we wont know because the crater was quickly filled with lava and ash.
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 am

the wizards did it. besides, who cares? its tes, not rl. in tes, russia doesnt own you, you own russia! now just shut up and eat a cookie :cookie:
Arrogant SId

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am

I agree. I brought it up, I think, just in the last page.
Bird

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Considering Sheogorath picked out Baar Dau just for the express purpose of destroying Vvardenfell to spite Vivec, and nothing else, I'm sure he, in his cosmic ability, got all the measurements and cause-effect chains properly aligned.

the wizards did it.

Always an inadequate explanation.
Sian Ennis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:10 am

but it is indeed an explanation. said so yerself. and, seeing how there are mages, i dont see why not :)
Eire Charlotta

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:07 am

But the asteroid that wiped out the dinos was MUCH larger than the one that wiped out Vivec city. Besides, it could have taken much more out, but we wont know because the crater was quickly filled with lava and ash.

Not only that, but that idea that maybe the ingenium almost worked, but not quite enough. It slowed it down enough to stop the world from being destroyed, but the price to pay was Vvardenfell.

Seconded. It's a synonym for "lazy storytelling" in my book, unless you describe exactly HOW the wizards did it. Example:

"why did the Dragon Break?"
Answer A: The wizards did it. Boo..
Answer B: In an attempt to become gods/make the elven god more human, the Marukhati danced on top of White-Gold tower to summon Auriel, but in the process broke him and therefore time.

Which sounds cooler?
Quick draw II

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 pm

but it is indeed an explanation. said so yerself. and, seeing how there are mages, i dont see why not :)

Yes, it is indeed an explanation. That doesn't mean it's a plausible explanation.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Yes, it is indeed an explanation. That doesn't mean it's a plausible explanation.

a good mage can do anything :ninja:
Rinceoir

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 am

Because it is BATW.
Boring and Therefore Wrong*. A dynamic principle of truth in ol' Tamriel.

-MK

lilmissparty

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 pm

Because it is BATW.

:nod:
neil slattery

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Because it is BATW.

And no matter what anyone says, boring means boring. It does not mean "non-magical" or even "mundane." It simply means uninteresting. A wizard did it, with no flesh given to the explanation like the Dragon Break, is uninteresting.
Dalley hussain

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 am

The ministry of truth never slowed it had been freezed in time, so when Vivec was taken by the Deadra the powers that he casted upon the rock started fading, then the rock unfreezed and crashed into Vanderfall, again it never lost her speed, it was just freezed in time
Heather Dawson

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion