So, Morrowinds been destroyed huh?

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:27 am

Even being the hardcoe Morrowind fan that I am, I smiled when I read it. It makes sense in a way, since the player causes Vivec's loss of power and had the option to kill Vivec in Morrowind. So to write from the assumption that it was possible what do we get? Vivec had to have died or disappeared mysteriously. We had forewarning in one of Oblivion's rumors, if memory serves, and it shows Bethesda is willing to solidify (or allow someone else to solidify) some of the more abstruse* lore-- the loveletter in this case-- as canon and possibly important considering the implications of
Spoiler
a character named Sul
being in the book. Could set the stage for future games.

I'll miss the old Vvardenfell, and I'm still just as disappointed by it as I am entertained by the book's changes to Nirn, but I have to admit immediate vicinity of what was once Vivec City sounds like it'd be a pretty cool location. Besides, it isn't like we were going to see a new game set in Morrowind for a long time anyway. Now bring on the destruction of Cyrodiil.

*I admit this post is partially because I've always wanted a chance to use that word.

It could open decent political stories and changes and change the world and the shape of a nation forever and add some intrigue to Morrowind(if we ever revisit) but that does not stop my sadness for the losses felt in its destruction. :cold:
April D. F

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 am

How would it? With proper help and restoration the land could be redesigned and refurbished into a powerful provence with a great ally...

It'd be tacky because we just had one of the most-liked provinces in the entire series destroyed, then brought back seemingly the next day (to us, anyway) to its former glory. It's destruction played a huge part in the book, and is now a huge part of lore. It was finished. Vivec disapeared, and, with him, all order. They began sacrificing living people's souls just to keep their homeland safe from destruction.
Spoiler
Sul's own girlfriend died for this purpose.
The machine failed, the moon went for a touchdown, Red Mountain exploded, the seas boiled, the VVardenfell covered in magma, South Morrowind coated with ash, no living thing survived, the left over Dunmer dispora into the rest of the world and abandoned their home, and to top it all off the Argonians invaded and killed any surviving Dunmer they found. Life may return hundreds, maybe thousands of years into the future, but for all intents and purposes, they're finished. Done. Finito. A fitting end, no? Almost poetic, in a way.

You don't think bringing it back bigger and badder the next day would seem just a little bit tacky?
Adam Porter

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 am

It'd be tacky because we just had one of the most-liked provinces in the entire series destroyed, then brought back seemingly the next day (to us, anyway) to its former glory. It's destruction played a huge part in the book, and is now a huge part of lore. It was finished. Vivec disapeared, and, with him, all order. They began sacrificing living people's souls just to keep their homeland safe from destruction.
Spoiler
Sul's own girlfriend died for this purpose.
The machine failed, the moon went for a touchdown, Red Mountain exploded, the seas boiled, the VVardenfell covered in magma, South Morrowind coated with ash, no living thing survived, the left over Dunmer dispora into the rest of the world and abandoned their home, and to top it all off the Argonians invaded and killed any surviving Dunmer they found. Life may return hundreds, maybe thousands of years into the future, but for all intents and purposes, they're finished. Done. Finito. A fitting end, no? Almost poetic, in a way.

You don't think bringing it back bigger and badder the next day would seem just a little bit tacky?

I agree. I'll be really disappointed if I hear that Vvardenfell is being colonized again in TESV. IMO, it should remain a desolate wasteland until at least TESVI.
Smokey

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 am

It'd be tacky because we just had one of the most-liked provinces in the entire series destroyed, then brought back seemingly the next day (to us, anyway) to its former glory. It's destruction played a huge part in the book, and is now a huge part of lore. It was finished. Vive disapeared, and, with him, all order. They began sacrificing living people's souls just to keep their homeland safe from destruction. Sul's own girlfriend died for this purpose. The machine failed, the moon went for a touchdown, Red Mountain exploded, the seas boiled, the VVardenfell covered in magma, South Morrowind coated with ash, no living thing survived, and to top it all off the Argonians invaded and killed any surviving Dunmer they found. Life may return hundreds, maybe thousands of years into the future, but for all intents and purposes, they're finished. Done. Finito. A fitting end, no? Almost poetic, in a way.

I am saying in a future game if any not right now at this very second or moment, it adds greatly into the lore but is it over i doubt it.Even if another game is not made about it we could hear or read stories about it in future games.With the fall of Vivec a new temple (to the Daedra perhaps) could rebuild eventually i think it could do very well for the lore as a whole.I would like to hear something good about Morrowind as i adored it.Life could return within 500 to 1000 years in the future yes, but that does not change the provence rebuilding again that would be poetic to me. :touched:
candice keenan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 am

i speak for the beast races association (BRA), as well as the imperial association (IMPS) when i say: im glad greg keyes [censored by poster] up vvardenfell. full of slave traders and traitors and swits, say i. and the BRA and IMPS.

dark elves make grown elves cry

Why couldn't they have taken Elsweyr instead?!?!

because me and my heroism was there to stop them. then they tried to go to valenwood, but i directed them to high rock, who fought them back to black marsh, where i batted them back to vvardenfell with a dwemeri tennis racket.
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 am

Unless it was... a vibrant forest of Morrowind Mushroom Trees!

like the shivering isles?
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

The title of this thread almost sounds like one of those self help books..like

"so you've been dumped"

"so there's a drunk argonian on your lawn"

"so morrowind has been destroyed"

:P
James Shaw

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Maybe with all of this the Dunmer will learn to be more humble a not to be a bunch of corpse worshipers, slave traders, soul stealers, arrogant backstabbers or whatever bad things they were up to. No wonder so many of them went to Cyrodiil. :)
Robyn Lena

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 am

Something I found interesting is when Sul described what happened, it seemed to be contradicting. What happened to Morrowind is that the Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec City once Vivec was taken and the people couldn't suspend it in air any longer.

But Sul said that Vivec froze it in the sky, but it kept the same velocity as when Dagon threw it. So as soon as it was released, it came crashing down with just as much power as it would have when Dagon threw it. Wouldn't that like... do more than make a volcano erupt? I mean... wouldn't that basically destroy all of Tamriel, at the least. I mean, a pretty small meteor destroyed all life on Earth in the age of the dinosaurs, and the Ministry of Truth was supposed to be quite large.
Sarah Bishop

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 am

Something I found interesting is when Sul described what happened, it seemed to be contradicting. What happened to Morrowind is that the Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec City once Vivec was taken and the people couldn't suspend it in air any longer.

But Sul said that Vivec froze it in the sky, but it kept the same velocity as when Dagon threw it. So as soon as it was released, it came crashing down with just as much power as it would have when Dagon threw it. Wouldn't that like... do more than make a volcano erupt? I mean... wouldn't that basically destroy all of Tamriel, at the least. I mean, a pretty small meteor destroyed all life on Earth in the age of the dinosaurs, and the Ministry of Truth was supposed to be quite large.

The meteor that killed the dinosaurs didn't destroy all life.
Luna Lovegood

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 pm

From what I heard, the dunmer and argonians are destroyd, is it true?
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 am

Morrowind was destroy, Dunmer retreat to Solstheim because of this and that Argonian want revenge against the Dunmers for enslaving their people.
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am

No, plenty of Dunmer escaped to Solsthiem, and the Argonians are just fine. Umbriel did indeed pass over both Black Marsh and Morrowind, but it didn't pass over any major towns besides Lilmoth, so the casualties probably aren't all that high.
Maria Garcia

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Morrowind's destroyed? :rofl:

I didn't get the book yet, but I think the whole thing's been spoiled for me already.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Morrowind was destroy, Dunmer retreat to Solstheim because of this and that Argonian want revenge against the Dunmers for enclaving their people.

No, plenty of Dunmer escaped to Solsthiem, and the Argonians are just fine. Umbriel did indeed pass over both Black Marsh and Morrowind, but it didn't pass over any major towns besides Lilmoth, so the casualties probably aren't all that high.

Oh good, when I heard it I was like WTF? 2 of the most awsome people gone!!!

Hope that it never happenes.
Austin Suggs

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Morrowind being destroyed is known for a while before they get in depth with it. Not spoiling anything by you knowing it already.

Argonians aren't completely wiped out, it's just that the floating city arrives over the Black Marsh, so we can only assume that it did some big time damage.

And the Dunmer aren't wiped out either. When the Ministry of Truth crashed down, the Red Mountain erupted and the dunmer on Vvardenfell saw serious casualties, and then the Argonians invaded. There are still alot of dunmer in Solthseim and Cyrodiil.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Argonians aren't completely wiped out, it's just that the floating city arrives over the Black Marsh, so we can only assume that it did some big time damage.

Probably not that much, like mentioned on page 2, Umbriel took a straight path across Black Marsh towards Vivec City in Morrowind, so the only city it hit was Lilmoth.
Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 am

what i dont get is how the rock hitting vivec caused a valcano to explode. please can someone explain.
Inol Wakhid

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:59 am

I never liked the dunmer, and they deserve it. karma's a real b*tch.
Sun of Sammy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:33 pm

I can't tell if it's convenience or sour graqes.

"Well...we need to destroy SOMEWHERE to makes this plot sound like sirez biznes. We already made a game in Morrowind, so it can go."

or

"Why do so many people keep saying Morrowind is better than Oblivion, that we should go back to Morrowind's roots? Let's kill it with fire!"
ladyflames

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:13 am

what i dont get is how the rock hitting vivec caused a valcano to explode. please can someone explain.

The rock, travelling at its original velocity, hit the ground and bore deep into the earth, most likely causing seismic activity that may have triggered the eruption.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 am

Lol, perhaps they did decide to end the debate once and for all by having rock and fire destroy Morrowind. Shows us fans.

I will say that I've logged more hours into Morrowind than any other game, but since I've read the novel I've not once picked it up again. Can't really admire Vivec City anymore... considering all I'd think about when walking along it is Sul's "look at the palace district/canols/etc" monologue.
Arrogant SId

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 am

Considering how THIN Vivec City's architecture was, I'm surprised it wasn't destroyed by a sneeze :)

... crap. Now I have to go suggest that in the suggestions thread: sneezing NPCs :x

HMA, who seems to be over the Vivec City weight limit, given how often he falls right through it.
Austin England

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 pm

I wonder how awesome this is to all hard-working folks at Tamriel Rebuilt.

Partay!!!
jessica robson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:11 am

I never liked the dunmer, and they deserve it. karma's a real b*tch.

Or should that be "Kwama" ;) :biglaugh:

I'll get me coat :bolt:
Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion