[WIPREL] Oblivion Graphics Extender

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 am

40 fps is beyond perfect and 20 fps is more than playable!

tweak tweak

Being playable is not exactly what I want from a game, if I wanted playable I would stick to my ps3. What I am aiming for is smooth. And 60fps is smooth. This might sound a little uppity of me, and yeah, it might be - but it's because I had to live with console games for many years of my life - and once I moved onto pc, and played that for several years, I realized that most of my eye strain, and headaches, was from low fps games (and wearing hats, yeah, hats) . Additionally, I find games at 40-50-60 fps to be comfortable and enjoyable on the eyes, the opposite feeling of the strain that 20-30fps brings. Like in oblivion stutter remover, i recently installed a new copy and it overwrote the ini, suddenly, it was 30fps locked. AHHH. MY EYES!!! Mind you, it was nice to see a non variable framerate of 30 (instead of whimsical shifts from 35-50 with all the obge stuff going on). But overall, it felt like I was moving around in slow motion. Everything had kind of a... picture-picture-picture feeling to it. Some games manage to hide the low fps better than others, like I can handle crysis 1 and 2 at the occational dips into 30. I think proper motion blurring helps (both object and camera).

Recently I was playing the brilliant red dead redemption on my ps3, and as much as I was loving the content, I was always fighting it with my eyes. That game runs in the teens a whole lot, I had to identify this to figure out why I was not getting into the game. Something was forceably pushing me away from it. That's why I tend to spend a lot of time optimizing my oblivion install, making sure every mesh is optimized, runnning the performance liquid water shader, setting the ugrids to 8 in the ini, using streamline with min framerate being 40, so that better cities does not throw me into teen territory. For me, framerate is directly linked to immersion. And that's kind of why part of me is glad skyrim will run nicely (console being the lead = 50-60fps). Sure i'll install all the graphic mods for skyrim the moment they come out, but I'll drop those sliders if I have to to make those graphics mods more playable. Must have the best of both worlds!

/end epic rant.

That's also why I feel a bit brokenhearted that the newer liquid water and obge3 take my fps down to 45fps instead of liquid water with all the shaders running from it's esp, running at 60fps with ssao fog fixed in that. Now I have to disable either godrays or ssao to get that 60fps back. And ssao is a must have. I shall miss you godrays. I shall miss you dearly.
sara OMAR

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Just wondering, is there a fix yet for the Coloreffect and Colormood shaders for OBGEv3?
When I tried to toggle them in the plugin it looked very messed up (the screen went orange with very sharpened lines around edges).
Alan Cutler

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:48 am

Now I feel bad about my tweaking making you type all that :teehee: I get what you're saying, though I suppose it's not to that extreme for me really. Like, 30+ fps has always felt like a luxury, and since I don't suffer eye strain or headaches at lower framerates (that tends to come more from staring at a monitor for long periods in general) and the responsiveness of the game is still intact quite well enough for me, I find framerates in the teens to even be acceptable at times. It's by no means preferable, but I'll definitely choose graphical fidelity over performance to more extreme degrees, I guess you could say. It helps that I haven't really played console games regularly for years, and the only PC games I've played in the last couple years are Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (both of which ran perfectly smooth at highest settings on this computer of course). So I'm not immersed in gaming enough to have really spent as much time concerned with performance as I would have five, ten years ago. But those things can change too.

Anyway, now that you mention it I'm curious if there's any kind of ETA on the SSAO fog fix? I feel like a nag, Ethatron and tomerk have done so much and I think OBGEv3 has been a great success (keep in mind it's a beta!), but having the SSAO fog fix will definitely ~complete~ it for me, being able to experience [flawlessly] awesome scenes that aren't just clear and colorful days, heh.
Daramis McGee

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Now I feel bad about my tweaking making you type all that :teehee: I get what you're saying, though I suppose it's not to that extreme for me really. Like, 30+ fps has always felt like a luxury, and since I don't suffer eye strain or headaches at lower framerates (that tends to come more from staring at a monitor for long periods in general) and the responsiveness of the game is still intact quite well enough for me, I find framerates in the teens to even be acceptable at times. It's by no means preferable, but I'll definitely choose graphical fidelity over performance to more extreme degrees, I guess you could say. It helps that I haven't really played console games regularly for years, and the only PC games I've played in the last couple years are Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (both of which ran perfectly smooth at highest settings on this computer of course). So I'm not immersed in gaming enough to have really spent as much time concerned with performance as I would have five, ten years ago. But those things can change too.

Anyway, now that you mention it I'm curious if there's any kind of ETA on the SSAO fog fix? I feel like a nag, Ethatron and tomerk have done so much and I think OBGEv3 has been a great success (keep in mind it's a beta!), but having the SSAO fog fix will definitely ~complete~ it for me, being able to experience [flawlessly] awesome scenes that aren't just clear and colorful days, heh.

Did you set the manual fog settings in all natural ini (besides clear weather) to 3.5 or higher? This is always what i do when there is ssao fog issues, it really looks fine when the fog is pulled back a bit when its raining or snowing. Certainly a world better than ssao consumed objects.
Eric Hayes

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:30 am

I had it like that briefly, at like 2 or 3 on everything, and noticed it helped, but I ended up setting them all back to 1 when I was tweaking for performance recently. Right now I've got foggy weathers' duration set to 1 so I'm at least not running around with fog all the time. These "solutions" though, they just end up eliminating the possibility of ~killer awesome foggy scenes~ in place of the SSAO fog issue degrading those scenes, so I'm just being patient until there's a fix, hehe.
Claudia Cook

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm

I had it like that briefly, at like 2 or 3 on everything, and noticed it helped, but I ended up setting them all back to 1 when I was tweaking for performance recently. Right now I've got foggy weathers' duration set to 1 so I'm at least not running around with fog all the time. These "solutions" though, they just end up eliminating the possibility of ~killer awesome foggy scenes~ in place of the SSAO fog issue degrading those scenes, so I'm just being patient until there's a fix, hehe.

Also, there seems to be some fog settings in the vssao.fx file. Not really messed with them yet. I set the duration also, actually i think it set it to 0.01 in the hopes that it detect decimal points. I don't mind living in perm clear day/night, since I prefer how the game looks during daytime. Its just a long season until the fix comes out. :)
jessica robson

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 am

Yeah I could do clear weather all the time. It's kind of like, the best scenes can come from either super clear weather or super foggy weather, and everything in between ends up being drab, I guess. I'm being super anol about it of course, and I've never really been motivated to adjust the weather durations until the SSAO fog issue came up, so I guess it mostly relates to taking f###############king beautiful screenshots :teehee:

Also I'm pretty sure it says in the ini that the lowest possible value is 1; I don't know if setting it lower than that causes any problems, though.
joseluis perez

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I played with this mod a bunch tonight for the first time. The results were visually impressive, but I was disappointed by performance. I found it playable with volumetric SSAO, water, and MLAA, but only barely. Adding any fancier stuff like DoF or PCS LightShafts was too slow. I have an i7-920 @ 3.2 GHz and a GTX 580, so I was kinda hoping to get more eye candy. It's possible it's my fault ...

Kind of, you're running to big a display. We make Oblivion a second Crysis so expect to go back to 1280x1024. ;)

Also I should ask Ethatron how difficult the process is converting normals to POM-friendly versions, it might be something I'm capable of doing somewhat competently

I didn't do the normals because it was necessary (a must), just because it was necessary (uh ugggly noisy normals, go away). You basically only need to redo the heightmap (alpha-channel or the color-map), the Qarl normals are super-noisy. Are you willing to spend some bucks for a program?

Yeah here I am wondering about shadows when I'm running volumetric SSAO, MLAA, and that new godrays shader. I'm really begging for a slideshow I guess. It could be worse I suppose, I could be using any of the other SSAO shaders :P

Hu, I'm running:
HBAO
LightShafts
MFXAA
Pseudo_Bokeh_DoF
EnhancedSeasons
ScreenEffects (unvoluntarily)

No real problems 15-30 FPS.

Hmmm... I just borrowed my friends 6990 to see if I want to upgrade to it, and a lot of games tripled their framerate from 45fps (crysis 2 and the witcher 2), to about 90-100fps @ 2560x1440 (edited after I read my own post, these framerates are only doubled, but some other games are trippled). I then ran oblivion @ crossfire renamed exe, and it gave me a 2-4% improvment (47 fps instead of 45, with ssao + godrays + liquid water only enabled) , each gpu using 60-80%. I then switched to my concurrent vanilla install, and still got 80-100fps. Which is the usual fps for my 5870. At best i gained a few stray frames.

We already established that (besides that it's locked by CPU) it is currently as fast as your memory/controller latency allows. There is 0 difference in that respect between a 5870 and a 6990. You could probably hide a Folding@home shader under all that memory-acesses you produce with a big texture-mod collection.

I still have no idea what I did to break it but MLAA decided to quit working. I thought at first it was the new godrays shader, but I've since tried it with just MLAA loaded, and zilch. It worked before though and I can't for the life of me get why it would just stop working. Unfortunately FXAA and the two DLAA ones do nothing for me other than blur the screen. The jaggies are highly annoying too :(

Would there be any possibility at all of being able to do the anti-aliasing directly through the OBGEv3 file itself? Or is that just asking for the same kind of heartbreak as trying to force the driver to act on it?

Actually I'm sitting over this with AMD guys. Though I need some help. Does anyone have a blank Oblivion install so we can trial a minimal OBGE-install which showcases one shader? The faster the better, I don't want to leave them waiting for so long.
Beth Belcher

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Kind of, you're running to big a display. We make Oblivion a second Crysis so expect to go back to 1280x1024. ;)

Nooooo, but native resolution is king! :P

I will experiment some more tonight and see what it's like at 1680x1050. I'm also using QarlTP3 (redimized), which I understand increases shader performance requirements significantly because of the large textures? I could try removing that, too; it's easy enough with BAIN.
Jeremy Kenney

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:16 am

Though I need some help. Does anyone have a blank Oblivion install so we can trial a minimal OBGE-install which showcases one shader? The faster the better, I don't want to leave them waiting for so long.

Do you need a guy who has ati running or even nvidia? If nvidia is also good, i would be happy to help you.

Edit:GOTY fresh installed
herrade

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:00 am

Do you need a guy who has ati running or even nvidia? If nvidia is also good, i would be happy to help you.

Edit:GOTY fresh installed

Actually I don't need to check out the specific feature so the hardware doesn't matter, I just need to have the minimal OBGE package verified to produce the expected result. You want to check it?
Romy Welsch

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Actually I don't need to check out the specific feature so the hardware doesn't matter, I just need to have the minimal OBGE package verified to produce the expected result. You want to check it?

you′ve got mail :)
Lavender Brown

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Hu, I'm running:
HBAO
LightShafts
MFXAA
Pseudo_Bokeh_DoF
EnhancedSeasons
ScreenEffects (unvoluntarily)

No real problems 15-30 FPS.
Do we get MFXAA with the next release? *excited*
How's the performance vs regular FXAA?
Ria dell

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Anyone can help on this who has a clean install. OBSE+OBGE+1xEffect is in the package.

Okay, http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/OBGEv3-minimal.7z.
The deal is the following:dropped in a clean install without HDR and without Antialias it should have a single effect enabled, that is DoF in TEST_MODE, which means it shows the focus-plane black, and front and back planes white.

Is that so?

Then we need some ATI hardware ... if you enable AA (via game, not via driver), the DoF setup must break. I don't know how but I assume it's either noise, some weird shape, or all white/black.

Correct?

What can go wrong:
- Not enough files in the package and OBSE+OBGE don't load
- Crash because I missed something
- The default settings .ini don't trigger the effect to apply
- Starting a new game won't expose the DoF (because the room is too small), maybe try to get into the cellars
- ... anything else

Thanks much
~Sylvia~

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Okay, apparently the package worked first-time. Thanks a lot!
Fluffer

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:39 am

Then we need some ATI hardware ... if you enable AA (via game, not via driver), the DoF setup must break. I don't know how but I assume it's either noise, some weird shape, or all white/black.

Give me 20 minutes to sort out this, ATI 6950. Will screenshot for you.
Lyd

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:18 am

Would be funny if on some setup it works (without breaking). :D

BTW: to respond to the question about the next update. I'll update when we got MSAA on ATI working or definitly rejected. I optimized a lot of the effects, so actually in reality it should be a real performance update (if nothing else).
Bloomer

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:28 am

Good to hear, espescially the performance improvement. :D
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Good to hear, espescially the performance improvement. :D

Under circumstances 5-10% (taking 20 FPS as baseline).
Native AF at 16x is approx. 300% faster than driver AF:

(speed native AF - speed trilinear) * 100 / (speed driver AF - speed trilinear)

Just to make sure nobody thinks the game is 300% faster.
biiibi

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 pm

ATI 6950 No AA - http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9229/obsenoaa.jpg
ATI 6950 With 2xAA http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3506/obseaa.jpg
Pants

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:54 am

[snip]

Huh, I might be terribly wrong here but weren't consoles supposed to cap the framerate at 30fps?
Natasha Biss

Post » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:18 am

Non-linear vs. linear pipeline:

Non-linear:
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-NonLinear.jpg
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-NonLinear.png

Linear:
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-Linear.jpg
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-Linear.png

Calibrate your monitor. :P
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Non-linear vs. linear pipeline:

Non-linear:
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-NonLinear.jpg
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-NonLinear.png

Linear:
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-Linear.jpg
http://paradice-insight.us/stuff/oblivion/ColorSpace-Linear.png

Calibrate your monitor. :P
Ooh, gamma-correct rendering? Did you figure out how to enable the sRGB read/write flags? This should be AWESOME with a proper tone mapper.
(speaking of which I tried to register on the wiki but haven't got a confirmation email or anything. Did it come through on your end?)
Timara White

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Ooh, gamma-correct rendering? Did you figure out how to enable the sRGB read/write flags? This should be AWESOME with a proper tone mapper.

Exactly. I also track all texture-loads, and normals and rendertargets are not gamma-decorrected. I still don't know much about the inventory rendertarget, so there the avatar is like being too much under the sun. :P

(speaking of which I tried to register on the wiki but haven't got a confirmation email or anything. Did it come through on your end?)

I enabled you, if no mail comes around, I've to set the password for you.
HARDHEAD

Post » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Wait, so the non-linear one is the better looking one? It seems like that to me, at least...
Stace

PreviousNext

Return to IV - Oblivion