Option to turn off Blood/Gore?

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:58 pm

There wasn't that much blood to begin with in OB. Now, if we were to talk about Daggerfall, then you'd have a better case.

But as someone who was kept away from violent and bloody games as a child (Mortal Kombat was the largest forbidden gore fruit back when I was little), I will respect your opinion of wanting to tone down blood while playing.
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:19 pm

No! If you say yes, go play barbies!
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Uhhhh no because im pretty sure my children (when i have them (i wont i hope) )will understand you dont go around killing people ,i seriously cant comprehend how much are society has gone into "ZOMG ITS BLOOD KIDS LOOK AWAY ITS INAPPROIATE" when it dosent do anything if you warn not to do that or if they even have half a brain

This actually. I would do the exact same thing. If your kid is dumb enough to see you gun down a prosttute in GTA and immediately go find a gun to ice his sister with than Darwinism states he SHOULD be gunned down by federal agents. How come I was allowed to watch Face Off and Hellraiser and stuff like that? Because my parents weren't stupid enough to think that as soon as I see violence I will go on a killing spree. The same thing happened with comic books in the 50s.

http://www.bitmob.com/articles/my-four-year-old-son-plays-grand-theft-auto

This explains all you need to know.

Edit: But as I have said there should be an option to turn it off, strictly for the people that are in 'unique' households.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 am

I wouldn't use it, more than likely, but there's nothing wrong with having the option.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:22 am

To use a part of your argument, their mother is an advlt, and she obviously does not like gore. If she decides she wants to become a hardcoe gamer and such, and buys the game, from what was previously stated, she obviously will not want the gore. And she, as an advlt, can, and should, decide that. So she switches the gore off. And everyone else in the world is not affected. Your game will not suddenly shut down because she wants to turn her gore off.

An obscure phobia that a few in a thousand people, if not more, have, is no real loss of sales. However, the multitude of people (and there are) whose parents won't let them play such a gory game, or such, is a big chunk of sales that would be well worth Bethesda's time and effort. And, like ofnir pointed out, taking out a visual effect is much easier than other options. Plenty of games have done it, and plenty more will. It is really not a big deal, and it is something that many people are concerned with. I am an advlt, but I don't want to see that gore. And if you do, by all means, see it all you want. But I don't, and there are evidently more than just me, as I have gleaned from reading previous posts, that feel that way. Don't push your views on to me, please.

The point of my argument is that the game will (most likely) have an M sticker (in terms of the ESRB, I'm unfamiliar with other systems) on the front of it. As an advlt, if you decide that you are against blood and gore, then it is your judgment when it comes to buying the game. The rating sticker will clearly say Blood and Gore on it, so it's no big secret that the game will contain Blood and Gore. If you are under 17, frankly you have no business playing mature games (legally. I'm not gonna argue justification of that or whether such things prevent it from happening anyways). In America at least, at any respectable game retailer, they require someone of mature age to buy M-rated games, which is usually a parent if you are young. If you are a parent buying a child this game, then you should not object to the blood and gore contained inside because it says it on the box. Just read the things you buy your children.

As an M-rated game, it shouldn't have to have features that cater to a non-M audience. By making it a mature game, they are appealing to a mature audience, the majority of whom are not disturbed by the gore. They shouldn't have to cater to phobias, and they shouldn't cater to minors. That's simply not the target audience.

In other news, though I am not a minor, I should consider myself lucky that Skyrim is the sort of game that my mother would play. She loves her action games...
Kevin S

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm

As an M-rated game, it shouldn't have to have features that cater to a non-M audience. By making it a mature game, they are appealing to a mature audience, the majority of whom are not disturbed by the gore. They shouldn't have to cater to phobias, and they shouldn't cater to minors. That's simply not the target audience.

It doesn't "have to have features that cater to a non-M audience." No one is arguing that it "has to have" anything. The point is that there is a considerably-sized audience that would enjoy the game more if it did have that option, and what's wrong with catering to a larger audience? Especially when the change is rather simple and would only affect those who wanted it.
Ian White

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:55 pm

i thinki it should be optional but since the game is going to have a mature rating, i dont think they will make it optional

edit: oops i jus checked gamestop, the rating's pending
Britta Gronkowski

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 pm

If your too [censored] to not play when your parents are around because youll get in trouble you shouldn't buy it in the first place.

As a middle-aged advlt male, with no kids, I certainly hope (nor do I expect, based on MW & OB) that the game doesn't have the level of violence of, say, Manhunt or a Resident Evil game.

Personally, I find excessive graphic violence to be disgusting. It does not bring me enjoyment....

...and, also personally, I find it to be pretty immature, too. (Depends on the context, of course..... the blood/etc at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan, while disturbing, was there to be disturbing and to emphasize how awful modern war is. A mature use. Meanwhile, the standard flying-buckets-of-entrails that gets dumped all over your typical R-rated "Woohooo! Violence!" film, is there to make Beevis & Butthead go "Heh heh. Blood. Cool." Amazingly immature use. Guess which category I consider most "we're courting controversy" M-rated blood & guts games to be in?)

So, yeah.... I was glad to see that you could turn off the absurdly over-the-top blood splatter in Dragon Age. (honestly, it was incredibly stupid looking.) And if, by some slim chance, Skyrim has a similar level of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gorn to your average horror movie, I'll hope that it comes with an optional toggle as well. Or I'll be waiting for a mod to tone it down.
Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 pm

So instead of having the developers work on other more important aspects of the game, you want them to waste their time on this? It's going to be a rated M+ game! Wow.

Let's shelter our children even more! Hell, if we're going to do this, we're going all the way. Our first step to further sheltering our children should be to change the possible races to choose from to http://www.valvigirl.net/quizzes/teletubbies_header.gif.

:facepalm:

EDIT: Those of you who are agreeing with the OP should also look at my signature, since you probably have a probably with that topic also.
Lindsay Dunn

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 pm

...and, also personally, I find it to be pretty immature, too. (Depends on the context, of course..... the blood/etc at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan, while disturbing, was there to be disturbing and to emphasize how awful modern war is. A mature use. Meanwhile, the standard flying-buckets-of-entrails that gets dumped all over your typical R-rated "Woohooo! Violence!" film, is there to make Beevis & Butthead go "Heh heh. Blood. Cool." Amazingly immature use. Guess which category I consider most "we're courting controversy" M-rated blood & guts games to be in?)

I hold very a similar opinion.

I'd be somewhat surprised if the game doesn't have an option to disable the blood/gore in the game. If not I'll be looking to mod it out if it's too far over the top.
mishionary

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:15 am

"No. If children are in the room, play something else."

Really? Most of the buyers of TES games ARE children (under 18). Well, most of the players, their parents have to buy it. :P

EDIT: I didn't want to double post but had something else to say, I just read an earlier post. "...is there to make Beevis & Butthead go "Heh heh. Blood. Cool." ". I neerly crapped myself laughing. :P
kristy dunn

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:15 pm

if anything i want an option to turn up the blood and gore

If I could 'Like' this comment like I could on facebook I would....LIKE
Dan Wright

Post » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 am

Having the option to turn gore off (it would be on by default) would be nice. I doubt it would take too much time away from everything else.
If it's only as bad as Oblivion, we probably won't need it.
Enny Labinjo

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:47 pm

$100 says the option is already planned to be in the config file and as a graphics variable.
Nadia Nad

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:12 am

People keep moaning about wanting this game to be realistic, but when it comes to gore every one cringes.
How about realistic gore, which in this type of game would be extremely gory, due to the weapons used and the fact you're setting dudes on fire. I would say that gore is fundamental for a game like this, if realism is the goal.

Gore is natural and real and people shouldn't be afraid of it...especially in a game.
I've been hunting deer, where I have shot, skinned, gutted, cooked and eaten the deer. That is a gory experience. I also study Forensic Science, a very gory subject.
Lions and crocodiles hunt animals too...but you don't see them being pristine and scared of making a mess.

If you don't believe in gore then you are the immature ones...and the weak ones too.
Chad Holloway

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:17 pm

This poll is kinda biased so I can't answer it but I do agree that their should be an option to turn it off but not for the reasons that the OP stated. I personally don't care I like the gore in Fallout 3 even though it was over the top.
james tait

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Uhhhh no because im pretty sure my children (when i have them (i wont i hope) )will understand you dont go around killing people ,i seriously cant comprehend how much are society has gone into "ZOMG ITS BLOOD KIDS LOOK AWAY ITS INAPPROIATE" when it dosent do anything if you warn not to do that or if they even have half a brain
This actually. I would do the exact same thing. If your kid is dumb enough to see you gun down a prosttute in GTA and immediately go find a gun to ice his sister with than Darwinism states he SHOULD be gunned down by federal agents. How come I was allowed to watch Face Off and Hellraiser and stuff like that? Because my parents weren't stupid enough to think that as soon as I see violence I will go on a killing spree. The same thing happened with comic books in the 50s.

This is disgusting. Video games and TV do have a suggestive influence on children even teens and young advlts. I can't believe how insensitive you guys are. Every year, on the news, I see reports of young children jumping out of windows trying to be "superman", or young advlt trying to pull off stunts see on Too Fast Too Furious.

On that note. Turning off the blood and gore is not going to solve matters, the violence is still there. But in a matter of system performance or to appease those who want it, why not?
loste juliana

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Nope, would waste time of the devs... TES have IMO become some sort of simulation game and no blood is irrealistic...
CArlos BArrera

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 pm

one of the things that oblivion was missing was GORE. this one has like finishers and stuff which screams GORE!!!
i like video games because IRL i probably won't kill ANYTHING, so in a game i want it gory to the max! :P
Anthony Diaz

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:35 pm

I voted yes. At the very least we need an option to turn it down.
Jamie Moysey

Post » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 am

TES have IMO become some sort of simulation game

Um.

No.

Just no.

Not remotely.
Queen Bitch

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 pm

When a sword hits you, you bleed.

Alright Plato, that was irrelevant. This is a game, and game's aren't real. You're at no disadvantage if they give us the option to turn off blood/gore.
barbara belmonte

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Stop killing things when they're around?

I've tried that, often I get ambushed and have to fight back
Lizs

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

Edit: I was certainly glad that Dragon Age had a "no blood" option, given how completely ludicrous the "toss a barrel of blood over everyone" combat was..... heh.

In the demo for DA II there were times I couldn't see what was happening on-screen because of all the blood splashing around. I would definitely like an option to turn off/down exaggerated gore.
quinnnn

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 pm

I find it curious that the media allows violence, but then puts a filter on the effect/ consequences of that violence. The idea of censoring the violence is supposedly so younger people don't become desensitized to it. Wouldn't it be better to show the consequences of the violence along with the violence instead of having it teach that there is no consequences to violent actions? What I'm trying to get at is: is hiding the blood going to make an inexperienced person think that slicing someone is not going to have harmful effects?
If there is violence and they don't want to show its harmful effects, then they should remove that violence altogether, which I don't want to see happen to Skyrim.

Otherwise, I don't know about the console versions, but Oblivion on PC had an option to remove the blood decals during gameplay, so I don't see why they wouldn't provide a similar option for Skyrim.
Fluffer

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim