Option to turn off Blood/Gore?

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 am

Sure, options are perfectly fine. I love gore, blood, genital torture and all that good stuff, but not everybody else will. And it'd be nice for them to be able to turn it off. And as for people like me, I can simply leave it on. And look at that, everyone wins.
Neil

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:00 pm

I hope we can cut heads off(undead do not count)!
Spaceman

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Are you serious? Why would you act like that? "if you dont like it, dont buy it". Blood is a phobia of a lot of people, and it's not somthing they can control. just as many more people do not like the sight of it- and i dont see how just making it toggle on and off would hurt anyone who wants blood.

I have an extreme cocoroach phobia. And I don't get scared killing level 90 Cocoroach soldiers in Runescape (Yes bad example :glare: )
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:34 am

Blood and gore simply increases the realism. When people slash at things they want to see it react how it normally which maybe ''sick and disgusting'' as it is real. Pretending cutting people doesn't do anything is delusional and much more sick and disgusting in my humble opinion.
I am not against toggleable blood but I really dont see it as necessary in a Mature game.

There are dozens of great games without blood and gore. The literally dozens of classic games without it trump the notion that it's somehow integral and shouldn't be able to turn off (which some of the other posters are claiming).

To think that some people would dismiss a classic game such as the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past all because it doesn't have "realistic" graphics and gore is kind of depressing. I'm playing a video game. That's the whole point, I'm not actually killing real people. If games were truly realistic with the horrors of killing and death most people would not kill in them. Actually some might still, which is on an entirely different level of disturbing.

As to the phobia comments, it's not just a "phobia." To many people blood and gore is simply disgusting, akin to watching characters use the bathroom (worse really). Should you have to use the bathroom and watch your character graphically do so? Should you have to clean up afterwards for the realism? That's the severity of graphic gore to some of us. Obviously blood splatter isn't that bad (to me at least), but I think it's a fair comparison since the "realism" card is being played. I suppose foes should soil themselves in fear too. Wouldn't that be oh so immersive?
naomi

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm fine with the option. It might even help my computer handle the graphics so why wouldn't I want that? :)
Kelly Tomlinson

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 am

I just fiddle with menu's when my mom wanders in. A good time to scroll through the achievements or take inventory of your loot.
Chavala

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Sure, why not. Not something I'd use of course, not even if I showed it to a six year old, but each to his own.
IM NOT EASY

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 pm

I suppose foes should soil themselves in fear too. Wouldn't that be oh so immersive?

Good idea! I support this 100%
chirsty aggas

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

There are dozens of great games without blood and gore. The literally dozens of classic games without it trump the notion that it's somehow integral and shouldn't be able to turn off (which some of the other posters are claiming).

To think that some people would dismiss a classic game such as the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past all because it doesn't have "realistic" graphics and gore is kind of depressing. I'm playing a video game. That's the whole point, I'm not actually killing real people. If games were truly realistic with the horrors of killing and death most people would not kill in them. Actually some might still, which is on an entirely different level of disturbing.

As to the phobia comments, it's not just a "phobia." To many people blood and gore is simply disgusting, akin to watching characters use the bathroom (worse really). Should you have to use the bathroom and watch your character graphically do so? Should you have to clean up afterwards for the realism? That's the severity of graphic gore to some of us. Obviously blood splatter isn't that bad (to me at least), but I think it's a fair comparison since the "realism" card is being played. I suppose foes should soil themselves in fear too. Wouldn't that be oh so immersive?

Very well said, there's a point where realism is no longer a good thing. Case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4
JLG

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:52 am

Too much options make the game look shallow and "weak" according to me.

I'm sorry, I'm having some trouble with the basic concept "options makes a game shallow". :huh:

Blood and gore simply increases the realism.

You are aware that the way blood is handled in most videogames and R-rated movies is fantastically unrealistic, right? :)

Edit: I was certainly glad that Dragon Age had a "no blood" option, given how completely ludicrous the "toss a barrel of blood over everyone" combat was..... heh.
maria Dwyer

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Very well said, there's a point where realism is no longer a good thing. Case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4

I don't really mind if it is an option, but I really hate when developers tone down blood and gore purposely to get a T rating and sell the game to kids. Like it or not, hitting someone in the face with an ax is a violent act, and should have consequences. If you remove the blood and sell it to kids, it teaches them there are no real consequences. I think any game with any realistic depiction of violence should be an M game, whether it has blood or not.

If they do decide to make it an option, it should be for those squeamish people who enjoy hacking up enemies with instruments of war, but don't like the gooey reality that goes along with it. Maybe they could make a pillow fight option, where all the weapons are replaced with fluffy feather pillows, and enemies are lulled to sleep by your attacks.
ezra

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

No, I do not want to have to see the gore. I think it is sick and disgusting and it detracts from the game for me. If others like it so be it. You don't have to stare at the options menu all day you know. It is ridiculous to clamor against options for others, especially when it is something on a matter like this. I find gore to be more disgusting than full nudity in the game would be (I don't think the game needs nudity either). If you like it, fine. Don't tell me that I shouldn't be able to turn off such graphic violence.

One of the first things I will do if you can't turn it off is look for a mod to disable the blood splatter. If we were asking for there to be NO blood I could understand the opposition, since that encroaches on the desires of those who want the blood.

It's really strange to me. You look at a topic about innocent romance and you see oodles of "eew that's icky" posts but you look in a topic about blood or gore and people openly lust for it. I'm not in a place to judge others for wanting to see that kind of thing, but I certainly don't want to have to see it myself.

I'm glad it's not going to be on the level of Fallout 3. Maybe some day I'll play that game with the gore disabling mods (what's sad is if you look up that topic you'll see many people immaturely being no help whatsoever bashing people for not wanting to see that graphic violence, as if there's something wrong not wanting to see people blown apart). If Skyrim were as bad as those other games I simply would not play it until mods come out to get rid of it. I don't play games to be disgusted by horrific gore. I play them to have fun. If gore is fun for others, so be it. I don't have to see it, and for others like myself that shouldn't exclude us from the game considering blood/gore has nothing to do with the core game play experience.

If it bothers you that much, don't play. I'm not "lusting after" blood and gore. It's just ridiculous to expect that every single thing about the game should have an on/off switch to please you specifically.
Kelsey Hall

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I cant just cant understand how gore bothers people.Is it scary?Gross?Just pixels.I wish i could get in to a game so much that it sickens me or terrifies me.

But the option to toggle gore on and off would be ok.
Rhiannon Jones

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:36 am

Wow, didn't expect such an even split :o . C'mon people, how many times must we repeat:
  • Every player's experience is their own.
  • If you don't want it, don't use it. This is especially true in this case as all it takes is a single checkbox in the game's options. You might not even ever know it's there.

Chase McAbee

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:45 am

Yes because I want an option to turn on censorship on porm when my parents enter the room.

If you want to keep children 'clean' and all that stuff, then don't let them play/watch games that have violence in them.
A murder without blood is still a murder no matter how do you look at it.
I am always against all kinds of censorship.
A huge no goes on this poll.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:18 pm

The poll is deadlocked... who will truimph?!?!?
Aliish Sheldonn

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:49 am

Don't be silly. Using a 'mum in the room' excuse is just pathetic. TES has NO gore anyway, just a few imaginary slashes of blood when you hit an enemy. And anyway, there's enough to do in TES so that you don't have to be constantly slaughtering things when children and parents are around.
Seriously, if we keep being this pecky about choices and options and other crap, we'll have a list ten pages long on the options menu of what you want to toggle on or off. Fast Travel, hardcoe Mode, Blood/Gore, etc.
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I personally like the ability to turn off gore when I have younger siblings or parents in the room. I feel like it wouldn't be all that complicated for them to at least give gamers the choice, even though most of the time we won't use it.

Edit: To those saying that they want to always have gore, allowing this option would have zero effect on you. You wouldn't have to utilize this feature. It would just allow people in more complicated situations to be more fully able to enjoy the game.

Options are good....but what about violent combat moves...you know...being hit in the face with a sword. Blood or not,it's still brutal...kids aren't stupid,they can put two and two together.
So do you want the option to turn a sword to a feather duster aswell?
Games have a rating for a reason.
Rachael Williams

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:45 am

When i have 2 years old (when i have my first computer), i play bloody games... Blood is something natural, its in movies, its in your body, its everywhere! Blood dont hurt nobody... Its idiot say "Oh no! My children! If he see blood he will be [censored]!" I am very normal and i see blood from my 2 years old and i am pretty norm :D

So why do a game unnatural? I vote NO (minor things to do for the devs)

(If they add ChildGuard again, they have to add NUDITY to the game! XD)
Stat Wrecker

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:10 pm

When a sword hits you, you bleed.
CHANONE

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Why is everyone so against this??

You wouldn't have to use it, it wouldn't effect you! It would be nice to be able to turn off the blood and gore when the little guys are around (not to mention my Mom).
Marilú

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 pm

With finishing moves being in the game and general gorey stuff that's in TES anyway (Lucien Lachance anyone?) I really don't see how much a toggle off blood switch would help. It's still going to look brutal.

I've never had a problem with blood/gore/graphic things in games or movies because I have no problem separating what's fake from reality. If you have a deep phobia of blood you might want to find a psychologist. Not saying that a mean way, I'm being serious. Find one that will actually talk to you and help you through the problem. Phobia's are all in your head. Every bit of it. you can do something about it.

I am of the personally belief that you shouldn't shy away from your fears. I used to be terribly afraid of bridges. Not heights. Just bridges. But I still crossed them. I was scared as hell when I did. But I did it. I understood I was in the minority. I wasn't going to request the city remove all bridges. And I wouldn't request a game developer to give me a toggle for bridges if they did scare me in games. (which they did not.) point is, you are not powerless against your phobia's. When I go across bridges now I'm not scared one bit. You just have to master yourself.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Options are good, but this would just take time away from them that they could be using to do something more productive.

Also, I don't think we have to worry about fallout level style of gore in this game.

Agreed. Plus, it's probably going to be an M game. If your family is cool with you playing an M game, aren't they accepting of what comes with an M game (some gore and sixuality)?
Miss Hayley

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Agreed. Plus, it's probably going to be an M game. If your family is cool with you playing an M game, aren't they accepting of what comes with an M game (some gore and sixuality)?

And if all else fails they could always import the Australian version. Zing!

I kid, I kid. :P
pinar

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:35 pm

When i have 2 years old (when i have my first computer), i play bloody games... Blood is something natural, its in movies, its in your body, its everywhere! Blood dont hurt nobody... Its idiot say "Oh no! My children! If he see blood he will be [censored]!" I am very normal and i see blood from my 2 years old and i am pretty norm :D

So why do a game unnatural? I vote NO (minor things to do for the devs)

(If they add ChildGuard again, they have to add NUDITY to the game! XD)

Ironic how you're making fun of idiots.
Kat Ives

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim