Option to turn off Blood/Gore?

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:29 am

Most R rated films don't have hundreds of hours of viewing time.

You don't have to play all those hundreds of hours back to back though. Turn off the game if someone comes in to the room and it would be inappropriate to make them watch the footage. Or pause it, if they've only popped in for a second.

I'd view that as more as a common courtesy (or responsibility, if the person is young) on behalf of the gamer, rather than something that should be considered by the developer.

[Double edit] Since when has anyone played hundreds of hours of a game all at once?
Floor Punch

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 am

The blood and gore is only a small part of it. There's still finishing moves maybe like chopping someone's head off, and there's arrows that can go through bodies. Blood and gore is just there for more effect. Without it, something would just be missing.
Laura Simmonds

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 am

I personally like the ability to turn off gore when I have younger siblings or parents in the room. I feel like it wouldn't be all that complicated for them to at least give gamers the choice, even though 99% of the time we won't use it.

Edit: To those saying that they want to always have gore, allowing this option would have zero effect on you. You wouldn't have to utilize this feature. It would just allow people in more complicated situations to be more fully able to enjoy the game.

I voted no. Not trying to be a d!ck or anything, but I personally think it is worse when developers purposely remove blood and consequences from games that have advlt actions. What do you think would affect a child more, seeing an act of violence along with the resulting horrific carnage, or seeing an act of violence where the enemy simply falls down in bed of flowers and goes to sleep? IMO, removing the carnage and consequences of violent actions only reinforces that belief in young ones that actions have no consequences.

That is one thing that always p!ssed me off about shooters that remove blood in order to get a "T" rating. Like shooting someone in the face is suddenly not a violent act just because you don't see the color red afterword. Hell, I remember games used to simply change the color of blood to brown and call it a "dust puff", and then get away with a T rating due to lack of blood and gore. I say keep the mature games mature, and the kiddie games kiddie...
Colton Idonthavealastna

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Your mom actually cares that much about blood and gore?

Its the same with my parents, I don't live with them anymore, but when I did, I had to play violent games like Fallout 3 after my younger siblings went to bed.

This isn't going to be fallout 3.

Edit: Removed that thing about infants even with the strikethrough it was pretty inappropriate
Arnold Wet

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:49 am

I'm all for more options and have absolutely no interest in gore in the game. If there is no option and any gore is as cheesy as I expect it to be, I'll be trying to mod it out.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 pm

No - it's been stated that the level of brutality will be increased, so as to fit into the gameworld. To toggle it off would be to dilute the experience - they've already said it won't be Fallout levels of gore, so that's not a worry. If a more visceral gaming experience isn't your thing, then Skyrim probably won't be for you, seeing as this is what the devs seem to be aiming for.

[Edit] As for having younger or more sensitive people in the room - well, to put it bluntly, that's your problem. I don't see why devs should account for everyone who may accidentally come into contact with the game - how do you think horror games would turn out if everyone designed games with that in mind?

That's an unfair assertion, blood and gore adds nothing to some people's 'experience'. Oblivion would not have been 'diluted' for me at all if the Dark Brotherhood end quests had been a little less graphic. Forget kids, not all advlts want to have that kind of imagery in their fantasy role playing games. If more visceral suddenly means blood and guts everywhere then you're right Skyrim won't be the game for me. If I wanted a horror video game I would buy one.
I'm all for the option.
If it adds to some people's experience than great, but It won't add to mine.
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:41 am

The blood and gore is only a small part of it. There's still finishing moves maybe like chopping someone's head off, and there's arrows that can go through bodies. Blood and gore is just there for more effect. Without it, something would just be missing.

Well I haven't heard anything about beheading in Skyrim, and arrows can go through bodies without being gory. But like I said before, I'm not arguing for a removal of blood and gore, I'm arguing for the option to temporarily disable it.
pinar

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 am

I find it rather disturbing so many people voted against providing an option for people who want to play the game to play the game, without seeing blood and gore. Granted the poll lacks a don't care option.

I sincerely hope you can disable the blood/gore. In the days of Doom the laughable pixellated gore didn't bother me even if I didn't prefer it. Nowadays however the graphics have gotten better and I simply do not like seeing it. I'll deal with it if it's not overblown, but I can't say I'm a fan of the blood splatter over everything in the trailer. The option of it being there for those that want it is nice, but for those of us that don't want to see it I hope there's an option to turn it off.

Something would not "be missing" without blood and gore (especially just giving the option for disabling it, with it on by default). There have been many great games without blood or gore. Graphic things such as blood gurgling sounds and blood splatter and loss of limbs are not integral to a game, but I respect others' opinions enough over a make believe game that I respect the option for such things for those that want it. I have played many great games without any graphic blood or gore and that detracted nothing from my enjoyment of them. Some of the best games (in my opinion) of all time have no blood at all, and some of the more mature games (mature as in having more realistic advlt themes) such as the Mass Effect series have limited blood but again avoid outright graphic gore or excessive blood.

Imagine if they had romance scenes with required participation in the main plot. Something tells me the percentage of people clamoring for forcing it on all of the players would be less in that case (such threads invoke many people protesting the mere option). If you like the gore fine, but don't try to make it sound noble that you want others to be forced to see it. It's akin to the people that want romance telling you that you should have to participate in it to enjoy the game. (I don't think romance is something that's important, but I think it makes a good comparison).

I'm all for more options and have absolutely no interest in gore in the game. If there is no option and any gore is as cheesy as I expect it to be, I'll be trying to mod it out.

This. I discovered the mod for Oblivion that removes most of the mutilated bodies after I had put 100+ hours into the game. If Skyrim has increased gore with no option to disable it, hopefully like minded people with the skill will mod it out for those of us that don't want to see it just as they did with Oblivion.
Dan Scott

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 am

Yes. You could do this with (the PC version of) Oblivion couldn't you?
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:49 am

I don't see why not, I wouldn't use it, but that shouldn't mean anyone else can't
Monika Krzyzak

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:28 am

I honestly hope they add it. I honestly hate gore, and I don't know what people obsession with gore these days. And you know what's sad? They get enjoyment out of cutting someones head off, but if you show briasts..........

Anyway, I just want something around Oblivion/Morrowind level of violence, nothing more please. At least give us that option
Steve Bates

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:16 am

I would like an option to turn off hairy arms
Gavin Roberts

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 am

why is this two pages

this game is going to be released in Germany. you cannot have blood in games in Germany. considering Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas (and a loooooooot of other games) all had one, it is extremely likely that there will be a "NoGore" setting in the .ini.

that said, if you're playing on a console...
Justin

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:12 am

I really don't see why anyone would vote against having the option. If you want blood, turn it on, if you dont like blood- turn it off. It's simple and everyone wins. Yet people seem to think that voting for the option somehow means no blood for everyone.

Yes. You could do this with (the PC version of) Oblivion couldn't you?

It's been a while, but i thought it only allowed you to pick high quality and low quality blood. I could be wrong though, it's been so long.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Too much options make the game look shallow and "weak" according to me.

A few gameplay options should be in (crosshair being the most natural one), but visual options (and not graphics), I'd say no.
Janine Rose

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am

Blood or not, there will probably be other instances in the game that will probably be more graphic and worse. BGS may allow players to turn off the blood, but I would suspect most won't.

If you mean something like the blood and multilated corpses you could often see in Oblivion, that's true, having an option to turn off blood during combat wouldn't be too hard, but I can't see us turning off THOSE things, since they'd be a part of the environment, and some might have important functions during gameplay or quests. After all, if you're given a quest to find someone and instead find his bloody corpse, you can't very well just have an option to disable the corpse entirely.

Well I haven't heard anything about beheading in Skyrim, and arrows can go through bodies without being gory. But like I said before, I'm not arguing for a removal of blood and gore, I'm arguing for the option to temporarily disable it.

I haven't heard anything about decapitations either, and you're right, you can easily have arrows going through bodies without showing blood, it looks unrealistic, yes, but that's beside the point, you can still do it.

Options to disable gore always seemed pointless to me, though, if you don't want to see some blood, than as I see it, you shouldn't be playing the kind of game that would have it. I mean, if you don't want to see blood, I understand that, but then why buy an M rated game in the first place? On the other hand, I don't see an option to disable blood and gore hurting the game at all, as long as it's off by default (Or the game asks you at the start if you want it or not.) and it does not remove anything that's actually important to gameplay, or replaces instances of gore that would play a purpose in the game's gameplay or content (Like say, a corpse that has an important item on it.) with something more tame that still gets the point across (Let's say the corpse was originally mutilated but in the bloodless version, it just becomes a fully intact corpse.) after all, we don't want people complaining about the fact that they missed out on this or that because they chose the no gore option. I know I'd never disable gore if given the choice to do so, but hey, if someone else wants to, I don't see giving them the option to do so causing any harm, so long as I get to play the game as Bethesda intended it to be played.
Krystina Proietti

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:20 am

Too much options make the game look shallow and "weak" according to me.

A few gameplay options should be in (crosshair being the most natural one), but visual options (and not graphics), I'd say no.

Wait, so you don't want to adjust the level of detail either? o.O
Melissa De Thomasis

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 pm

also i really don't think there's going to be DECAPITATIONS and dismemberment and [censored] in this. they had that in Fallout because it was all goofy gore and the series had a history of goofy gore, none of it was especially disgusting or anything.

at most i expect environmental gore (corpses and blood and whatever) and blood spatter, not HEADS EXPLODING. it's not like a kid is going to see a bag of human flesh and suddenly think HEY THAT'S A BAG OF HUMAN FLESH and undergo severe psychological trauma - they'll go "that bag is red" and go back to scrubbing the floor.
Penny Wills

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 pm

No! I would prefer Bethesda spend a day doing something more important to the overall quality of the game.
Nomee

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 am

i want gore. but an option to turn it off doesnt hurt. i guess its good for people like you OP
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:07 am

No, it already is optional just like fast travel, don't want blood don't kill stuff.

But seriously, more options is good so yeah why not.
Wayne Cole

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

That's an unfair assertion, blood and gore adds nothing to some people's 'experience'. Oblivion would not have been 'diluted' for me at all if the Dark Brotherhood end quests had been a little less graphic. Forget kids, not all advlts want to have that kind of imagery in their fantasy role playing games. If more visceral suddenly means blood and guts everywhere then you're right Skyrim won't be the game for me. If I wanted a horror video game I would buy one.
I'm all for the option.
If it adds to some people's experience than great, but It won't add to mine.

They have specifically said it's going to be a more brutal gaming experience. They've also said it won't have excessive, ridiculous levels of gore like in Fallout. So what's the problem? If it's an 18 rated game, with the devs putting emphasis on a game which feels more brutal, without it veering into the realm of psychopathic slapstick. If that's not for you, I agree, don't buy it. :shrug:
And for the end of the DB quest, the fact that it was so graphic, combined with the nonchalance of the characters involved, really pushed home how heartless they were in a way that had never really been managed throughout the rest of the quests (seeing as the previous victims were practically strangers to them and to the player, combined with the fact that they deliberately made it worse for someone of their own group) - it was the first time I thought of the DB members as actually scary.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 am

Both your options FAIL, just like this thread

add a thrid option,

If children in room i will let them play manhunt
Honey Suckle

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:22 am

Are you serious? Why would you act like that? "if you dont like it, dont buy it". Blood is a phobia of a lot of people, and it's not somthing they can control. just as many more people do not like the sight of it- and i dont see how just making it toggle on and off would hurt anyone who wants blood.
Andres Lechuga

Post » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 am

Are you serious? Why would you act like that? "if you dont like it, dont buy it". Blood is a phobia of a lot of people, and it's not somthing they can control. just as many more people do not like the sight of it- and i dont see how just making it toggle on and off would hurt anyone who wants blood.

If someone had a genuine phobia of blood, how did they play the other ES games? Or even get through the trailer for this one? In a game like this, there's going to be blood. It's just one of those things.

[Edit] For a phobia, I'd suggest the same thing I did in the spiders thread. It might be worthwhile trying to find some "making of" vids on YouTube of the thing in question, as maybe seeing how these things are created would disassociate it from the real deal. It probably won't help IRL, but it could make it easier to face these things ingame.
Thema

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim