People should be grateful

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:31 am

Been away a while. Good to be back.

I can't stop chuckling at all the people who differentiate between this kind of trailer and a "CGI" trailer. This isn't live action, stop-motion, hand drawn, or anything like that. It's a CGI trailer. The imagery in the trailer was generated by computers. It may be representative of what the game will look like when actually being played, but it's still CGI. Stop misusing the term.

As for the whole idea of getting upset at people for criticizing the graphics and not talking about the gameplay, what gameplay are they supposed to be discussing? We haven't seen any yet, unless we get to play as the dog (personally, I'd love that) and that clip where he's running is something we'd get control over.

As for people's complaining in general? It's been nearly a decade since Bethesda made Fallout 3, and four years since Skyrim, and people have mostly been left in the dark since, so it's only natural that what Bethesda finally showed might fall short of what people have been dreaming of. Personally, I'm excited for it. Not preordering it, and probably not getting it when it first comes out (still haven't got a current gen platform or PC), but I'll be looking forward to Bethesda's E3 stuff.

Quick breakdown of my reaction to the trailer:

Graphics/Textures/Animations: Not that impressive. On the one hand it saves me from Watch_Dogs level of disappointment, but it's a little sad to see how not far Bethesda's come since 2011.

Colors: Very nice. No gross green or gloom gray filter drowning out the color to create a joyless environment. Really helps differentiate it from the Capital Wasteland.

Setting: I've been not excited about Boston being the setting since it first cropped up in the rumor mill. I've really been hoping it wasn't the case, and I'm a little disappointed it is. That said, the inclusion of the USS Constitution as a place to visit gets me excited.

Voiced protagonist: I'm against it. Radically goes against the spirit of making a character that fills a role (Lone Wanderer, The Courier, Dragonborn, etc.) and fits much more as you being THIS character. Big fear of mine and something that makes me not want to preorder the game even if I did have a system to play it on. The only thing that would alleviate this for me is learning that there are 3 sets of at least 12 (24 preferably) different voices to choose from for both genders to choose from, each set being a different age range (teen, advlt, middle-aged+), and comprised of people who not only sound different, but preferably have at least 3 different ways of choosing how they say their lines. Yeah. For me to get onboard with Fallout or TES having voiced protagonists, I'd pretty much want Bethesda to have the same lines recorded 432 times.

Bereket Fekadu

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:14 pm

I would rather them give me a trailer of in-game footage and be honest about it than do the generic CGI trailer that shows us literally nothing about the game itself. I think the game looks incredible, and the trailer kind of made me a little emotional. People have been waiting for Bethesda to announce Fallout 4 for so long, and the fact that its finally being made is more than enough reason to be happy and get excited. Since the trailer was unveiled, I have seen far more positive reactions than negative ones, but I have definitely noticed people whining about how "the graphics aren't that good" and "its too much like Fallout 3".

To be fair, I think part of this is understandable. Like I said before, we have been waiting so long for Fallout 4. Its obvious that, after Skyrim and during that long wait time, people's expectations may have gotten a little too high. But at the same time, this is just our first trailer. Also, despite the trailer being in the in-game engine, it wasn't actual gameplay. Lets wait until we get more information and see the actual gameplay at Bethesda's E3 press conference before getting too judgmental. I think the game looks fantastic so far, and I think we should all be positive and joyful that its finally happening to begin with.

stephanie eastwood

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:14 am

I'm fine with the graphics and if the gameplay looks good, I will be pre-ordering the GOTY / Ultimate Edition Day 1.

Matt Gammond

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 pm

The bolded parts are the two big things I think are why, as much as I like the trailer overall, I do think Bethesda made some serious mistakes with it.

The trailer uses in-game footage, good idea in principle, but doing that while including nothing indicating what the gameplay is going to be like (or story, for that matter) means the only thing we can focus on is the visuals, which has never been Bethesda's strongest suit. It's the first trailer, meaning it should probably be one of, if not the strongest trailers to generate hype for the game, but in the end it doesn't generate much (if any) discussion about the story/gameplay from what is in the trailer, putting a lot of emphasis on the visuals that don't really stack up compared to some other games. That, and its money shot (the speaking protagonist), are two things that severely undercut the trailer in my eyes.

Taylrea Teodor

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:45 am

Very good points. I do agree that a trailer with actual gameplay and story elements would have made me even more excited than I already am. I think the point of the trailers existence is simply to let people know its officially happening (though we have known its been in development for quite some time), and to help generate hype for their E3 press conference.

That last bit in particular is the main reason why I think we got the trailer this early and why its presented the way it is. Seeing this E3 will be their first press conference, I think they released it early and made it purposely vage so people would have the extra incentive to tune into their conference to see gameplay and get some answers. They did the same thing for the new Doom game by releasing that 10 second trailer. While the trailer could have been better overall, it clearly worked given all the discussions and speculation going on about both the game and the E3 conference.

Grace Francis

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Yeah we should because these days no one is straight when advertising their products.

And the graphics matter but when they take priority and most of your resources go for that particular matter then its WRONG.

Mackenzie

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 am

No one should preorder ever, the only thing that people MAYBE could preorder is the Limited editions or whatever they are called which are PHYSYCAL, nothing digital should be preorder EVER.

helen buchan

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 am

Of course there was lying fan-boy, like i said at this point denying the downgrade which the developers themselves said happened its makes you look silly.

You are trying sooo hard to apoligize for them is jsut disgusting seriously, you are part of the problem.

Grace Francis

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 pm

If there is one thing I really dislike its a die-hard devoted fanbois.

Bethesda is a company. Yes they are the holders of an IP we hold dear, and, no, in my humble opinion they didnt [censored] it up. But they depend on us to keep them straight, on our business to tell them what goes and what does not.

However, the "Take it or leave it" attitude of fanbois, irks the hell out of me. Its like BiowEAre trying to con everyon into believing that their "A,B,C" ending was really artsy, and a stroke of genious, when it was, infact, bollox. You had the Fanbois rushing in with paladin-esque fury and zeal trying to defend the Shareholders of EA for yanking our nuts.

The Time Car

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Eh, if u can't find the options in ur PC game files then I dunno what to tell ya. Grinds my PC down to a halt but looks almost identical to the trailer.
Call me what ya want, I'm enjoying the game and thankful of the free goodies I've gotten and still getting :-). So flame away while I'm enjoying myself immensely with their game and extremely satisfied :-)
Hopefully one day ull realize the drama over this isn't important at all and maybe one day u can enjoy the game :-)
James Rhead

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:07 am

You are completely disgusting.

The "free" stuff you are getting... OMG... :stare: you realize that free stuff was made already and that you are getting it in separate pieces because its a propaganda?, those little meaningless items worth a damn gameplay wise could have been in the final product but just as any company that cuts content from their game to sell it separately, they decided to cut it out to make themselves look like the "good" developers out there and you sheep are falling for that, damn people this days is completely mental.

Dalia

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

Yes i wish i could make a wish and make them burn in hell.

dav

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 am

Source?

You must be super popular at parties.

Miss K

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:22 am

Couldn't agree more, I actually think that the graphics are a huge leap forward

Danger Mouse

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am

Assets were reused in NV so Obsidian didn't have a make the entire pool of assets from scratch. That is a special case and not indicative of Bethesda's game design. If there is one thing you can count on from Bethesda is their next game having all new assets, modestly improved over the previous offering.

J.P loves

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Yep, damn right I'm enjoying being disgusting with my free dlcs, my free actual cd of the music ingame and not a downloadable code, my free stickers, a thank you card, a very well done map, and a nice lil compendium book. I want even mention that the game comes with an actual manual (it's been so long since I've actually gotten one of these in a game). All the while in my digustiness I'm still enjoying this game immensely :-)
An Lor

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:38 am

I agree with this the world environment and textures feel like a big leap. However animations are still kinda dated to me but we might see an improvement at E3.

Honestly I was pretty content with what I was shown, I think people will always rip apart something they have long awaited. It just people have been waiting and waiting for a long time for a new fallout and for some, a trailer just won't live up to the expectations they have made. Hype before the hype as it were. I did not really have expectations other than it actually being announced so I mean I was satisfied with what I was shown.

Mrs Pooh

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:51 am

Closed for review, because apparently some folks can't stand if someone has a differing opinion, and thus must quickly move to a personal attack. *sigh*

Alexander Horton

Previous

Return to Fallout 4