Please do not cut corners with the combat system

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 am

Timed block would be nice. If you time it right the player takes no damage. Been playing Oblivion with that mod and makes combat much more satisfying.
Jaylene Brower

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Dice rolls can die a sad, pathetic, painful death. Ex post facto "you misseded" animations don't cut it. If my sword passes through your head, I hit. There's room to judge (randomly) whether I hit cleanly, or deflected across your armor. But dice better not decide my perfectly timed and positioned strike magically bent around a mudcrab because dice said so. And NEVER? Nope. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Even I can hit a home run off a major league pitcher (but it may take a long time to make it happen, since I'm about a 2 in baseball). Even an inept user of blunt weapons has a chance of making a correct swing at a decent speed with a weapon of overwhelming heft. In fact, solid hits with a warhammer should almost always do more damage. Whether a hit is solid or not... and how quickly hits can be delivered... that's up for grabs...

Dicerolls can easily be commended with proper blocking, counterblowing or evading animations. No need for "bending swords" or "non-materialised" enemies. No need to get rid of the rolls, just tweak their outcome to give a proper presentation.
An Lor

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Why don't we just import Assassin's Creed's combat system while we're at it?

That would be a step backwards ;)

I agree it would be nice to see a cooler, more fluid combat system. I also think we should have more AOE spells and the like to make pure mage a more viable option.
Shannon Lockwood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 am

I'm guessing the combat's going to be better than Oblivion, but at the time when Oblivion came out the combat was pretty interesting, as it wasn't that many games that provided a better combat system. For it's time, Oblivions combat was pretty interesting.

True. At the time, I loved it.
Certainly better than Morrowind's 'hope-for-the-best' combat system, what with hack-miss-hack-miss-hack-miss-hack-hit-hack-miss.
YO MAma

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0YM35goSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5RUKBTZWg&feature=related

That's M&B in a glance. I really think this combat could have been implemented into TES wonderfully, then again maybe not. It's just plain fun, though. :shrug:

Not just random button mashing, you actually have to think. Feints, counters, parries etc. Your mouse controls what direction you swing, what direction you block. You press the attack button, and move your mouse upwards at the same time, and you get an upwards attack. You press the block button at the same time as moving the mouse up, you block upwards. Intuitive. And for an indie game, the AI wasn't actually that bad in 1v1 combat, or maybe I just svck. The AI is a bit clumsy when you get 100v100 combat, but that doesn't happen in TES.

actually that looks like crap IMO. maybe its actually more fun when being played. and also its 3rd person. TES games are always made first for 1st person, and then they just throw 3rd person in.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Dicerolls can easily be commended with proper blocking, counterblowing or evading animations. No need for "bending swords" or "non-materialised" enemies. No need to get rid of the rolls, just tweak their outcome to give a proper presentation.

I have a love-hate relationship with RNG systems. On the one hand, I like the idea of having to focus your character's development right from the get-go, and spreading your attributes evenly results in an overall weaker character. On the other hand, I very much dislike how one bad die roll, something out of your control, can completely ruin a battle that was going in your favor. This is especially noticeable in systems that incorporate Critical Failures.

Anyway, this far along in development, I don't think Bethesda will change their combat system. So keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!
jadie kell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

I have a love-hate relationship with RNG systems. On the one hand, I like the idea of having to focus your character's development right from the get-go, and spreading your attributes evenly results in an overall weaker character. On the other hand, I very much dislike how one bad die roll, something out of your control, can completely ruin a battle that was going in your favor. This is especially noticeable in systems that incorporate Critical Failures.

Anyway, this far along in development, I don't think Bethesda will change their combat system. So keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!

I'm not quite sure what "RNG" means. Anyway, I actually like the potentiality of a failure (or success) that is beyond my control up to certain respects - I like the feeling of not being completely in control of everything as it gives my character a certain personality and abilities of his own (something which I appreciate in RPGs); a feeling that my character is doing the job through his abilities but on my command.

That said, I too doubt Bethesda will change/have changed much (at least not towards the RPG side of combat) - but one can always hope. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
daniel royle

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:49 am

Remember those "special moves" in Oblivion we unlocked with high level melee and acrobatics skills? They should have more variety, both in defense and offense, some basic moves should be unlocked at level 0 or 25, and more complicated ones should be unlocked at 50, 75, even 100.

As other fellows said, something like Risen or Demon's Souls would also be very welcome.
naome duncan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 am

I'm not quite sure what "RNG" means. Anyway, I actually like the potentiality of a failure (or success) that is beyond my control up to certain respects - I like the feeling of not being completely in control of everything as it gives my character a certain personality and abilities of his own (something which I appreciate in RPGs); a feeling that my character is doing the job through his abilities but on my command.

That said, I too doubt Bethesda will change/have changed much (at least not towards the RPG side of combat) - but one can always hope. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Random Number [G]enerator, AKA, how computers "roll" dice :P.

If I'm going to fail, I prefer something that isn't as out of my control in combat as a bad die roll. If it's something like I moved my mouse too far and attacked the thin air beside my opponent, then I'd be good with it. It gives me room to improve my reflexes (among other things) rather than wait for a level up and improve my character's stats.

This isn't to say that I am completely against RNG. Little uses of it, like Starcraft's cover mechanic, or a few GW hexes, where it causes a tactical shift.
April

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 pm

actually that looks like crap IMO. maybe its actually more fun when being played. and also its 3rd person. TES games are always made first for 1st person, and then they just throw 3rd person in.

M&B also has 1st person combat. Works great too.

If I might ask though, why do you think it looks crap?
Emma Parkinson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 am

If the combat was similar to or better than that in Dark Messiah:Might and Magic, then I would be more than satisfied. :liplick:
Jessica Stokes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:10 am

And maybe unique animation sets for each weapon type, your not going to wield a warhammer the same way as a claymore and an axe the same way as a rapier.

Also PLEASE add combat staffs and bring back polearms, spears and crossbows!!!
Erich Lendermon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 am

Random Number [G]enerator, AKA, how computers "roll" dice :P.

If I'm going to fail, I prefer something that isn't as out of my control in combat as a bad die roll. If it's something like I moved my mouse too far and attacked the thin air beside my opponent, then I'd be good with it. It gives me room to improve my reflexes (among other things) rather than wait for a level up and improve my character's stats.

This isn't to say that I am completely against RNG. Little uses of it, like Starcraft's cover mechanic, or a few GW hexes, where it causes a tactical shift.

Randon number generator... ok. Got it. :P

This is where we differ, I consider the stats more important than reflexes in RPGs. Though, seeing as this will likely be an actionbased game, I'm not asking for a complete turnover towards statcontrol. Just something that actually makes me feel like improving my character - other than my reflexes and twitching skills. Something that makes the character feel like more than an avatar of my wrist (so to speak :P).

I think stuff like this (with the learn-by-doing character progression - if they decide to keep it) could well be controlled via difficultysettings (and the effects of the dicerolls presented through animation). More difficult -> slower skillprogression, higher skill/stat impact, among other things.
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 am

They should hire the guy who made the Deadly Reflex mod, that's pretty much the most interesting first-person combat system I've tried so far.

Less 'swinging aimlessly at an enemy for five minutes at a time' - DR makes combat more visceral AND more cerebral. The latest release convinced me to reinstall Oblivion :)
megan gleeson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 am

When I play a warrior type character I always go sword and board. So, I would really love to see more options with your shield. Look at the options you have in Dragon Age!
But more free flow and fit to Elder Scrolls of course :)
teeny

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 am

[quote name='HeavyMetalArchmage' timestamp='1292148413' post='16784171']
Assassin's Creed's comabt system is only good for one strike. That initial ambush. Then it's "blockblockblockblockcounter" rinse and repeat. I have 77 hours in AC2, love playing it, but the combat is just... Use Oblivion's before AC-style combat. Blocking all night isn't fun.

What about Assassins Creed Brotherhood ? The combat system in ACB is awesome !
But i think the combat system of M&B is the most realistic.
:toughninja:
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

Anything but Morrowind. After playing Oblivion I just couldn't play that. Personally I'd like to see a bit more depth to magic. Some mods added that, but I always felt that it became overpowered or that I was the only one to receive the benefits.
Also, with sneak attacks, lets make people care when one of their comrades suddenly drops down dead. "Hmm, Bert's dead. Must have been the wind"
BlackaneseB

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 am

Anything but Morrowind. After playing Oblivion I just couldn't play that.

After playing Oblivion, I actually appreciated Morrowind much more. :laugh:
GLOW...

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:27 am

Anything but Morrowind. After playing Oblivion I just couldn't play that. Personally I'd like to see a bit more depth to magic. Some mods added that, but I always felt that it became overpowered or that I was the only one to receive the benefits.
Also, with sneak attacks, lets make people care when one of their comrades suddenly drops down dead. "Hmm, Bert's dead. Must have been the wind"

Morrowind combat was good but the reason it failed was that the player had the same chances of making a succesfull hit, no matter who you fought.

They could fix it by giving enemy types different dodge chances, so powerfull creatures like Dremora could have like 66 % dodge chance, and a rat could have like 15 %. This means that small enemies like tats, mudcabs, imps and all those kinda creatures woul be easy to hit.

It didnt annoy me that I missed all the time, but it annoyd me that weak creatures was as easy to miss as the powerfull ones.
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am

I would like to see a parry system implemented at the least.
Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:05 am

Morrowind combat was good but the reason it failed was that the player had the same chances of making a succesfull hit, no matter who you fought.

They could fix it by giving enemy types different dodge chances, so powerfull creatures like Dremora could have like 66 % dodge chance, and a rat could have like 15 %. This means that small enemies like tats, mudcabs, imps and all those kinda creatures woul be easy to hit.

It didnt annoy me that I missed all the time, but it annoyd me that weak creatures was as easy to miss as the powerfull ones.

This would be great if you removed the unbelievable part that your weapon goes through the enemy and you still miss.

Higher level monsters should have higher level skills, like Dodge, Parry, Block, and use them better so you would miss them because of their greater skills, not of greater protection of being higher level.

And those skills should be seen in action.

Better armors should have their effect as well, so you might be able to hit them on the head, but that huge horned helmet should decrease the damage a bit, but maybe it can become a bit askew?
Karl harris

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

I wish combat involved die rolls like in Morrowind, but with block and dodge animations since we're in 2011 now (soon). But I know this won't happen.
lauren cleaves

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:32 am

I wish combat involved die rolls like in Morrowind, but with block and dodge animations since we're in 2011 now (soon). But I know this won't happen.

Would be too good to be true.
Nick Jase Mason

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 am

Please let there be special finishing kill moves.
Kayleigh Williams

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0YM35goSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5RUKBTZWg&feature=related

That's M&B in a glance. I really think this combat could have been implemented into TES wonderfully, then again maybe not. It's just plain fun, though. :shrug:

Not just random button mashing, you actually have to think. Feints, counters, parries etc. Your mouse controls what direction you swing, what direction you block. You press the attack button, and move your mouse upwards at the same time, and you get an upwards attack. You press the block button at the same time as moving the mouse up, you block upwards. Intuitive. And for an indie game, the AI wasn't actually that bad in 1v1 combat, or maybe I just svck. The AI is a bit clumsy when you get 100v100 combat, but that doesn't happen in TES.

Yes M&B pretty much set the benchmark for combat, now ad that you has more weapon types than Morrowind, and yes mounted combat including lances and horse archers.

Obviously mounted combat would be less important in Skyrim as it's mostly dungeon crawling but being unable to fight from horseback destroyed horses in Oblivion.
Oscar Vazquez

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim